Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

This forum has a bermuda triangle

So many people post here and are never heard from again, never reply to their responses. I'm posting in the spirit of James Earl Jones' character in Field of Dreams movie. I just want to see what the missing people are all doing in the corn!

Comments (10)

• duluthinbloomz4
    12 years ago

Seems to be a fairly common happenstance on most of the forums. Two possibilities... we've become "entitled" where a few keystrokes gets the expected someone to do all the research, idea generating, plant list supplying, yadda yadda. Or life gets in the way and prevents one from checking back on a thread.

Actually, there's a third possibility... acknowledgements and/or thank you's don't play big roles anymore.

• grannymarsh
    12 years ago

Another possibility is that they haven't enabled the option of receiving e-mail indicating they're received follow up postings.

• wrestlingmom
    12 years ago

I'm new "again" to the forum--I participated on and off years ago until life got very hectic, but now I have time to seriously garden again so I re-registered. I didn't even know that you could enable an option to get emails when you have a response--I just saw the one about accepting emails from other members. I've looked all over my account and can't find it. Now I feel really silly. I'm embarrassed to ask, but where do you find it? Thanks so much in advance--I think more posters may be in this position than you realize.

• wrestlingmom
    12 years ago

Never mind--figured out that you have to mark it when you post, and enable emails. :)

• anitamo
    12 years ago

I've always been bothered by the lack of followup from the original poster...especially after a long and helpful reply. Seems so disrespectful to not acknowledge it. BUT I have been guilty of this at times, too. I post, then promptly forget what forum I was on to check back for any replies. So I give te OP the benefit of the doubt most times. I never get email notifications, even though the box is marked. Must not work for everyone. I am so grateful for anyone posting a reply to my question that I feel guilty when I don't respond back...so sorry to anyone I've ever ignored. :))) point in check, I never visit this forum, was just curious about it. But I recognize names from other forums. Hope I remember to come back here.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

If the way many people drive, conduct themselves elsewhere in public is any indication there is in fact also a percentage of people who don't acknowledge assistance given on this site because that is how they operate in general.

Then there are those who argue with, even deride responders yet clearly have little background in the topic themselves.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm sworn to secrecy about the activities in the corn, but I am allowed to say that none of it is garden-related.

Thanks for the interesting replies.

• Pepfun1-2
    11 years ago

@ purpleinopp LMAO!! I've been semi-lurking on these forums for quite a few years now. Occasionally I'll post a question, and even though I mark the box to have the emails sent it doesn't always happen. Once in a while I'll actually do a 'search' for my OWN name so I can see what I've posted and follow up if needed =).
    Oh, and if I remember right...you have to be INVITED into the corn *giggle* ;-)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey, Pep, glad u like my silly joke. C'mon in! The corn is fine!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Loved your analogy to Field of Dreams, Purpleinopp. lol Very cute. I know this is an old thread, but I didn't want to start the topic over again, I just wanted to add that this type of post and disappear thread changes the level of activity on the site. I used to respond to every question asked on the forums that wasn't answered. Even if I didn't know the answer, just to either acknowledge the OP's question or to direct them to where they might look for the answer. I've seen people post a question, receive not one, but sometimes multiple detailed responses and they never come back to acknowledge them. Now, I don't respond to questions, until I actually see someone post a reply and get a response from the OP, or I see a second post from the OP, or I've known them to usually respond on other threads. I feel that people who are genuinely interested in getting responses will persevere and use the forums thoughtfully instead of posting in this hit or miss fashion.

Sponsored
More Discussions