Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginny12first

Garden inspiration from Latin America

ginny12
18 years ago

On another thread, History Hopscotch, someone called Venezuela asked if a historical house had to have a historical garden. "Venezuela" is a Californian living in Venezuela and the post was made a long time ago so I am beginning a new thread.

My opinion is that of course not. Your garden is for your pleasure. A historically correct garden, or one that is sympathetic to the history of the house, is appropriate but not necessary unless you are interpreting a historic site.

But Venezuela had particular needs. He hopes to buy a historic house in Venezuela (the country) but does not necessarily want a historic garden. For him, and for all who love extraordinary gardens and landscapes, I recommend Googling Luis Barragan (of Mexico) and Roberto Burle Marx (of Brazil). Both now deceased, they were among the most creative and brilliant designers of landscapes in the twentieth century.

Barragan and Burle Marx may not be suitable for your house, your garden, your region, but the photos of their work on the internet will take your breath away. And perhaps Venezuela, if he is still here, will be inspired and send us photos of his Latin American garden someday.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions