Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandl_gw

My own small victory

SandL
19 years ago

I should really say that this is my husband and my small victory being that I could not have done it without him.

Three years ago we bought a 1970's ranch style house that has a back yard 75 x 150 feet. In other words, it is BIG!

The yard was completely overrun with weeds, a multitude of unwanted saplings (near adult tree size) and so many other garden nightmares.

I eventually cleared out all the weeds near the house to uncover two rose bushes which have promise. I've also been able to plant several ferns, hostas, salvias and two clematis which are all doing great!

This spring I made a vow to clear out the rest of the saplings and what-nots in order to start planting my herbal garden and shade garden by next spring. Well, with a new baby my plans pretty much died. Also, our summer was generally nice, but still too hot to garden in. Now with Fall here I figured I might as well give up on my dream of a cleared garden.

My hubby came to my rescue this morning with chainsaw in hand. We cleared every single sapling, unwanted vine and bush (and poisoned thier stumps). So, finally, our jungle is gone. I can't tell you how happy I am. Already I'm invisioning tons of hostas, ferns and other shady plants where the drat invasive bushes used to be.

Our next mission? To haul about 10 saplings, several unwanted bush, and lots of vines to the recycler next weekend!

Heather

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions