Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

Historic house with a strangely blank gardening slate

I have recently purchased a rehab farmhouse out in south central PA (north of Gettysburg). I am not certain how old this place is since the paperwork didn't go back further than the last owner, but it started life as a log house and went through 19th century changes. It looks a little like a southern style low slung Georgian. At one time it had a huge bank barn,but it burned and was replaced by a one story maw of a barn. There is also a wagon shed.

The only really old item I see is a huge old lightening struck ash tree in the front yard. Other than that--typical 20th century overgrown arborvitae and yew, and a couple of miniature ornamental conifers near the out buildings. THe foundations are clear of plants. The previous owners put in some more ash and an oak on the east and west sides. That's it. There are no external spigots to be seen to water anything.

I find it hard to believe that in possibly 200 years, there is so little sign of any flowers or shrubs,gardens--anything on the 4+ acres. Nothing but nice lawn and tangles of wild weed shrubs/trees. There are 2 additions on the house since the 80's, so maybe the DPOs razed everything in grading. I don't know.

I have pretty much a clean slate to work with. I know one part of my plan is utilitarian (orchard, working garden, kitchen garden). Can anyone point me in the direction of what the typical plants available to 18th, early 19th century might be? (I was surprised to find that day lilies weren't introduced until 1900!) I'd like to perhaps give a nod to the house's original building period (guess 1790-1840 latest) and work my way up. Resources for plant introductions to US? What kind of shade tree would be planted or were trees like the Ash self-seeded from the general vicinity and left alone to grow?

Thanks--I'm just hoping to organize my thinking with some GW assistance!

Comments (6)

• nandina
    18 years ago

Interesting! I have been researching another matter and can give you some shortcut answers to your question. Looking into my crystal ball I see a vacation trip to the U. of Delaware Library in your future. The first successful nursery in the States was started in PA. about 1811-1903 by David Landreth and Sons. Google the nursery name and you will find all sorts of helpful information and leads to search further including the fact that the U. of Delaware has a complete collection of all the old nursery catalogs. This is where anyone researching early plants should begin such a historical project. There are, of course, books on the subject which you will find listed as you Google.

May I also suggest, due to your proximity to Gettysburg and the age of the property that you might think about purchasing a good metal detector. It is very possible that you may be able to locate old wells, privy spots, dump areas, battle sites with all sorts of treasures. Neighbors may also give you permission to check their properties. A world of fun. Wonderful hobby.

• ginny12
    18 years ago

Will try to write more later but for now I suggest you get from the library Ann Leighton's three garden history books about American plants and gardens in the 17c, 18c, and 19c. They have plant lists etc in the back that will help you.

Daylilies were here centuries before 1900. Certainly not the thousands we have today, but Hemerocallis flava, the lemon lily, is a very old daylily.

A farmhouse probably did not have much in the way of a pleasure garden or ornamentals. But do what makes you happy. You are not selling tickets! If you want, pick a time period and research in books what was grown then. Remember farmers and their wives had little time for extra work on beauty, alas. So exact accuracy may not be your goal.

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I will take a look.

My grandparents had a working NY dairy farm in the family from the 1840's and there were definitely "pleasure gardens" of hand-me-down passalongs and winding paths devoted to meandering (close to the house) as well as shrub islands.

That was what confused me--having nothing to start with aside from porch plantings.

• njmastergardener
    18 years ago

I just happened to stop by this forum to see what ya chatting about.
    I'm a Master gardener, herbalist, historical garden researcher and restorer, re-enactor, and a hopeless Lewis and Clark fan. I'm certified(crazy) from Monticello and the National Historic trust, since my family has been farming in NJ since 1720--I have a bit of a background. I still live in my family home--200 ft off of my family farm. Ok that;s some of my Bio. My addiction is I love plants and gardens. There are great refrence materials out there to help with your decissions.Landreth is one of the oldest seed catalogues, but there were many many more before Landreth, such as Dreers(Riverton NJ, Roses first came to the USA-and the Jap beetle) Levis in Mt Holly NJ, Pomona Cinnaminson NJ(NON-cling peach)
    If you email me--I can send you a host of books, articles and folks ya can email at Monticello for info.
    jfrancis@mygrandmothersgarden.com
    It sounds like a grand project!! Nutting like an empty canvas
    good Luck jeannie

• Havenheart
    18 years ago

Hi Sujiwan--
    In addition to attempting to restore my own 1765 farmhouse and gardens, I do restoration for lots of folks' gardens in my landscape business.

The Leighton books are great!
    Have you seen the book "the New Tradition Garden" by Michael Weishan? It gives lots of hints for looking for remnants of old gardens in your yard, as well as ways of telling how old your farm is. He has lists in his appendices that tell you just about every type of plant for every period, and he has many nursery resources.

I have also researched old tax records to find the history of my old farm, which then gave me info about old deeds, and in these handwritten deeds were notes regarding possessions that transferred with the property, which told me about the uses of the farm, and informed me about the gardens that might have been present. The local historical society was invaluable, and some resources they had even provided pictures of my place in a bygone era.

Here is a link that might be useful: Michael Weishan's site

• redbrick
    18 years ago

Hi Sujiwan,
    You may want to check out Landis Valley Museum in Neffsville for ideas. Another great source is "Heirloom Country Gardens" by Sarah Wolfgang Heffner. Oh, and look into The Backyard Fruit Growers. It's a great group with lots of old-timer information. Hope this helps!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions