Return to the Garden Restoration Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repotting pussy willow

Posted by gategoddess z9 8b CA (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 9, 04 at 19:11

Hi,
I have a French Pussy Willow ((at least that's what the Wal-Mart tag said) that I bought 2 years ago. It has been doing quite well in a 5 gal. bucket, but I'm wondering if it is time to repot it. I'm just imagining it getting root bound and I don't want that to happen. I don't have much in the ground for a couple of reasons, first of all, the gophers overwhelmingly won the war years ago and we've lived here since '82, so you know we've tried everything we could; I have 2 corgis so I won't use anything toxic, and secondly, the soil in our back yard is like clay and rock. It is just way too much for me to tackle, so I chose to have a containerized garden, and believe me, I have containers everywhere!! Somewhere along the line I lost the tag with the instructions so before I go looking on the net I would like to see if anyone here has had "hands on" experience with them; I have a 15 gal. that is nice and deep, but I'd be wasting it if the willow doesn't grow very high, I'm remembering a willow tree that grew in our front yard in Baltimore when I was a child, and this sure isn't the same kind of willow tree. Should I wait until spring to repot, if so, would I go up just a couple of gallon sizes? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Antoinette

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repotting pussy willow

I think your plant could get pretty big if it is the French pussy willow I am thinking of--15' or so. I think I would let it go til spring before repotting, but I am not a CA gardener so really don't know when plants go dormant in your area. You might want to check on the Container Gardening forum.

Generally, check to see if the plant is rootbound(roots coming out of bottom of container drainage holes, entire plant can be lfted up out of the pot as the root ball holds all of the soil, girdling roots at top of rootball, etc) If so, pot up in the next size or so pot, using a potting soil mixture appropriate for your plant.

I have a Corgi, too; he's a Cardigan. Great companion, love him dearly.

G.

o
RE: Repotting pussy willow

Thanks, I had a feeling that going to a 15 gallon was sort of obnoxious, I could probably lift it out when it is a bit dry and see what is going on down there; it does lose its leaves every winter here, since I'm located in the "beginnings" of the San Joaquin Valley it does get pretty cold at night, we go below freezing during the winter and sometimes don't have temps above 40's or 50's during the day, but those of you in the real winter states are probably laughing your *** off. When it's -2 at noon where you live, and 50 here, it must sound like beach weather... sometimes we have a streak of warm weather blow through that really goofs things up...then we have rain some years, other years, nothing. It's guess work, and I am fairly new to gardening, so I always appreciate any help I can get.

Mine are Pembrokes, the silly bunny butts; yes corgis are priceless! Since I got sick and can no longer work, they have been my constant companions and best friends...they also keep me on my toes!

Antoinette

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Restoration Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here