Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ademink_gw

Era-appropriate plantings for historic multi-family dwelling

ademink
19 years ago

I posted this on the Landscape Design forum and it was suggested that I also try here. :)

We live in a historic neighborhood and just purchased a multi-family dwelling across the street and down a couple from us (YAY! :) The property is in need of repair but still has very good "bones", and is full of renters (5 units). Anyway...the point...ahhh yes..lol...

There is NO landscaping whatsoever in the front or back of the building. My home is a foursquare Craftsman style home and so I've used many plants, trees, shrubs, etc that were appropriate to that style of architecture.

This particular property that we just purchased is very tall - was built as a 4 unit w/ custodial apt. in basement - so about 30ish feet tall. It's one giant brick rectangle w/ 2 balconies (top units) in front and two porches for the bottom two units. The building was originally Tudor style from what I understand...built in 1910. It has an approx. 4' facade all the way around the top of the building and a flat roof. I guess that the Tudor style stucco/board design used to be on the facade but they shingled over it. We'd like to bring it back to the original design.

Ok...there really is a point here. LOL I'm trying to describe the building b/c I need suggestions for period-appropriate trees and shrubs - especially for the front. It's between 8 & 10' from the ground to the bottom of the porches on the first floor...so there is a large expanse of brick that could use some larger landscaping in front of it...with a sidewalk around it. Hmmm...think I'll try to sketch and scan...don't be afraid. ha!

In the spaces right in front of the building...between the front and sidewalk, I was thinking about maybe white carpet roses with evergreen twisted topiaries or something.....? Am I totally off-base?

I'd like for the stuff to be pretty low-maintenance, as well, since this is a rental property.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the dumb picture! LOL

andrea

{{gwi:1187791}}

Comments (9)

• ginger_nh
    19 years ago

And a book on neo-Tudor homes of the turn of the century:

Here is a link that might be useful: Useful Book

• ginger_nh
    19 years ago

I like your initial idea of topiaries and white landscaping roses. Do you have enough sun for the roses? Is it particularly windy there? Some urban sites are true wind tunnels that can burn clipped topiaries. Anyway, I think your initial intincts are good.
    G.

• ademink
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Not great photos but snapped some on a "drive-by" today - should be better than the sketch! By the way, the chain link fence in front will go eventually.

• ginger_nh
    19 years ago

This is Tudor style?

• ademink
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Your question seems rhetorical so I can only assume that you're trying nicely to tell me that I'm a moron. LOL

All I can tell you is that under the shingles, it originally had the Tudor style stucco/wood design. There is a picture of it from back in the days when it was first built that show it as such. I know that during that same era, there were a lot of "hybrid" houses that had Tudor and Craftsman influences....maybe that is the case here? Most of the houses on the block are Craftsman foursquares or bungalows.

Perhaps I should just plant whatever strikes my fancy, since the place seems to be a mutt of sorts, eh?

To answer your earlier question, ginger - yes it's west facing so I think that the sun issue should be ok! Also, the wind shouldn't be a problem - it's fairly protected.

I'll try checking out the books that you suggested, as well as some of the Craftsman ideas - thank you for your time!

However, that's a side note to everything else that has to be done....getting the HORRID paint changed...fixing the sidewalk...tearing out the chain link fence....etc, etc, etc. ;)

• momcat2000
    18 years ago

andrea, you bought those appartments? i'll contribute what i have in the spring. hostas? seeds? yellow caution tape? (just kidding) good luck

• seamommy
    17 years ago

Andrea, I think you have found a treasure. You can see beyond the "improvements" that take away all the original charm of this building that maybe some others have missed.

But I also think that until you have restored the building to it's original beauty it will be difficult to envision the landscaping that it needs. This is a very solid building and will require something equally solid to set it off, but contrasting and bright. Wispy little trees and bushes will get lost under the heaviness of this big girl.

Here's how I would start, after the buidling restoration is done:
    1. Remove the chain link fence
    2. Replace the retaining wall of rr ties with a stone wall that is set back by about 3 feet from the sidewalk. Possibly, install a 2 tier retainer to give you elevated garden beds out front.
    3. Wooden arbor with a gate over the sidewalk that is tall enough to frame the front steps somewhat, set the property apart from the street, and still be inviting.
    4. IF the property MUST be fenced, install a substantial picket fence that is connected to the arbor and front the fence with large, colorful plants, such as red or yellow roses. If no fence is required I would simply line the sidewalk up to the steps with colorful plants that could be seen from the street.
    5. In the land/flower bed areas created by the set-back retaining wall, plant graduated heights of blooming plants. Or for a low maintenance garden, hardy shrubs such as boxwood to lend life and color year round.

Oh, there is so much potential in this building and the property, what a joy it will be to restore it to beauty.

Cheryl

• sandy0225
    17 years ago

I'd leave the chain link fence because your tenants might have kids and that would really come in handy. Why don't you plant some of the old-fashioned perennial sweet peas on it instead? They're practically indestructible after you get them started and will bloom and soften the fence.You can start them easily by just digging up some places around the fence and planting the seeds this time of the year. They will come up when it's time.
    For topiary work out front, how about some good old rose of sharon topiaries? They sure grow good here in Indiana.And they are tough as nails.
    Shrub roses might be a good choice too. And since they have thorns, people aren't so likely to mess with them.
    Forsythia, hydrangea, weigela, mockorange, all low care choices, since you don't live there.
    Some nice tough perennials might also be good choices, such as coreopsis, rudbeckia goldsturm, sedums, ornamental grasses,daylilies, a redbud might make a nice smaller accent tree in the shady area.A lilac bush. Won't outgrow the building or cause damage later on.
    Tenants tend to be hard on landscaping, generally speaking. And you don't want to spend a lot of time/money watering things. So I'd go with durable plants!

Sponsored
More Discussions