Return to the Garden Restoration Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new heritage "Mount Vernon type" Garden

Posted by vino zone 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 26, 12 at 16:59

Hi, we just purchased an additional 2 acres next to our daylily gardens...

First we laid out a 120 foot X 120 area...has a 20 foot grass area going north to south, 8 foot grass areas going east to west with a large circular area in the middle....the grass area divide it into 4 planting areas...each planting area has a 2 foot wide bed around it to be planted in daylilies planted by colors and forms...inside each daylily bed is a 3 foot wide path line with monkey grass...each of the four sections will be laid out in a different style...one section has an X path dividing it into 4 V areas....This is where I need help so far only one section of the "V" area has plants ordered...64 lavender plants..also have order 25 rhubarb plants but need suggestion for other plants that can be managed in this historic type garden.....v

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new heritage "Mount Vernon type" Garden

That sounds like great fun, hope you have some help with all of that!!

Have you visited Mount Vernon Gardens website? Unfortunately I didn't find plants in a list form, but many specific ones are mentioned in the paragraphs.

This article about the restoration of the original garden would probably be enlightening.

The pic at this site looks like it's very formal in places. I'm not familiar enough with it to understand which part you're emulating, sorry if that's not relevant.

Not at all a fan of P. Allen Smith, but he visited and there's a video here that shows a lot of plants up close and views of the gardens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Restoration Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here