Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colokid

Seed in local stores?

colokid
15 years ago

Do any of the local stores have garden seed yet? I started a container or two last fall and wanted to start some peppers and radishes. Though they would lock me up when I asked about seed. Have lots of old seed but not what I wanted. Hate to mail order a pack or two. Checked all the odd stores like dollar, but no left overs. Been eating lettuce and turnip tops. Got a bud on a Matina tomato and will watch it like a wanted baby. Legs don't work too good any more so shopping is a little hard for me.

Kenny

Comments (7)

• generator_00
    15 years ago

Here in wyoming home depot already has seeds.

• polygonum_tinctorium
    15 years ago

Yes, I've seen seeds at all the local stores.

And, of course, the internet is full of wonderful mail-order places that would be delighted to take your money and mail some fresh seeds straight to your mailbox. Not all have high shipping costs.

I don't mean that in a sarcastic sense at all. I adore mail-order! The shipping costs have to be counted against sales tax and gas money and time/hassle to travel to the local stores. It often ends up being the same or cheaper to get it through the mail. Also, seed from stores may or may not have been stored properly since received from the seed companies. Seed company mail-order seeds tend to be fresher than store-bought, though my best luck is with seeds I've saved myself or received in trades from other seed-savers.

If you want something specific, or know which store you'll be visiting, you could always call them to see if they have what you want in stock.

What kinds of seeds are you looking for?

• colokid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks. Wanted to try green pepper cause they were a buck and a half in the store. Now they have come down. I haven't been looking for several weeks. Need to make a trip to H-depot for some reflector stuff and will check. Ate up all the little lettuce plants and need to plant some more under the tomato. 14 degrees right now at noon Sunday. No way this old man is going out for a couple of days.
    Kenny

• billie_ladybug
    15 years ago

My "local" Walmart still has seeds left over from last year. They have them hidden in a corner of the garden center, but they are there. They have them discounted, but remember, you get what you pay for.

Billie

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

Billie, did they finally discount that box of seeds at WM? I had them price check a packet a few weeks ago, and they were still ringing at full price (of course, I'm guessing that your local WM is my local WM)

I checked at one of the nurseries a few weeks ago as well. They told me they get seeds in around the beginning of February, so I think we'll be seeing them all over soon.

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Our Walmart still has Christmas decorations in the garden area. They said it would be February before they started stocking gardening stuff.

The Lowe's in Glenwood Springs has their seeds out. Though I guess that's not exactly local for you guys, LOL!

Bonnie

• billie_ladybug
    15 years ago

gteenbean - One of the employees over there told me they were discounted, I bought some peat pellets out of there to start some herbs and they were discounted. Weird that they would not discount the seeds.

And yes, your Walmart and mine are the same, usually. I also frequent the one on Power and PP.

Billie