Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Book recommendation for Colorado?

Posted by cranberry15 Zone 5 WI (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 8, 13 at 10:19

Greetings from the Midwest! My brother is moving to Denver and I'd like to send him a decent regional gardening guide. He has some experience and enjoys veggies and flowers. I'd love to hear what you recommend for folks new to the climate out there. Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Book recommendation for Colorado?

Timber Line
Early days stories written by a Denver news Paper writer.
I think written in the sixties but a must read for any one.
Stories of the mining days and such as Molly and Tabour (sp?)

o

The Undaunted Garden by Lauren Springer. Fulcrum Publishing, Golden, CO. (1994). I believe this is still sold at the Denver botanic Gardens gift shop. But it seems to be readily available in most book stores too.

Ornamentals selection and ideas for the area.

As far as other guides, visit the Denver Botanic Gardens and also use the local Extension services in the area here: http://www.cmg.colostate.edu/

o

I love Xeriscape Colorado: The Complete Guide by Connie Lockhart Ellefson and David Winger (2004). It it is filled with tons of beautiful and inspiring pictures, and lists the many trees, shrubs, perennials, etc. by their drought tolerance.

o

I second Xeriscape Colorado. I also like the Colorado Gardener's Guide by John Cretti. I heard he started work on a new edition about a year ago, so it may be out now.

What a good sister you are!

Barb

o

Mine would include Shrubs for the Rocky Mountains by George Kelly, Rocky Mountain Vegetable Gardening by Gaugh & Gaugh ISBN 1-59186-457-7, Herb Gundell's Rocky Mountain Gardening ISBN 0-87833-781-4 and The Rocky Mountain Berry Book by Bob Krumm ISBN 1-56044-040-6

Tell him to look us up when he gets here.

B

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here