Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plant rotation

Posted by comary 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 11:02

My favorite veggies to grow are tomato, eggplant & peppers -all in the same family. The best practice is to rotate the same family to be in the same spot every 3-4 years. That is not practical since a big portion of my garden every year is the same. I understand this is to avoid diseases as well as provide proper nutrients.

I have been using a well composted horse manure, alfalfa pellets & compost to fertilize and then hope for the best...which seems to work but I wonder if any of you have some wisdom /advice to share as I plan for 2014?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plant rotation

Its one of those examples where theory meets practicality.
I try to 'rotate' by planting something different in each spot each year, but at the most, its a 3 year cycle, and many years, I plant things in the same beds over and over again because the bed conditions are ideal for that plant - say winter squash - it always gets planted in the bed where there's room for the vines to run.

I've found that most of the diseases and such can be avoided by heavy mulches so there isn't any splash up on the plants, and trying to water so the leaves don't get wet.

The only problem I've had is potatoes. Way too much disease in the soil to plant them successfully.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here