Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grocery store buy

Posted by smdmt z5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 13:07

I've posted this on the hellebore forum, but it is very quiet over there. So I'm trying with my fellow RM gardeners.
I bought a "Jacob" hellebore at King Sooper yesterday for a very good bargain price. It is in really good shape, green and blooming. I'd like to plant it in my garden, but I'm guessing it hasn't been out in the CO cold. I have it in my unheated garage now.
What is your advice about getting it out in the ground ASAP?
Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grocery store buy

Hi Smdmt,

I'm assuming you got this in the floral department and it was grown as a house plant? I've never gotten around to growing Hellebores yet, so I don't really now what I'm talking about here, but for anything that's been greenhouse grown for "houseplant" use, I wouldn't try planting it outside until it warms up some in spring. I doubt that you'd be able to sufficiently harden it off to take our wildly varying temps in winter, and since it wouldn't be at all rooted-in or established, I'd be really surprised if it survived if planted out now.

My recommendation would be to grow it as a houseplant for now (in bright indirect light) and then gradually harden it off as the weather starts to warm and plant it out when it will have the whole summer to get established and then be "ready" when it gets cold out again next winter. I think you'll have a much better chance of success doing it that way.

If somebody on the Hellebore Forum contradicts everything I just said, pretend I didn't say it!!!

I googled to see what I could find about planting/growing since I don't know much about them, and didn't find much, but this page will give you some basic light, water, and soil info.

I think they're beautiful, especially the white and black/purple ones, and I hope to have some in my yard some day.

Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Helleborus

o

Thanks Skybird! I'll let you know if I hear anything different!

o

I have a couple growing on the east side of the house. They said it was a shade plant, but it does just fine with morning sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here