Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milehighgirl_gw

Want to go in on order from Nourse?

milehighgirl
13 years ago

I have been wanting to plant Guelph Millenium asparagus from seed, but the last two years Vessey's has not had them. So finally I decided to just buy some from Nourse. All was well until I was finalizing my order and the shipping tripled. I guess because they have to send it 3-day Air to Denver to get them here in good shape. Anyway, is there someone else in the Denver area who wants to order some things from Nourse? I think splitting the shipping would make it more affordable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nourse Farms

Comments (3)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    13 years ago

Hi Mile High,

I was checking out that site to see what kind of things they carried, and there's nothing I can use since I have such a tiny yard, but when I was looking around I noticed that on their Shipping Information Page they say this:

Transit Time

Please refer to the FEDEX zone chart below, which estimates transit times from our Whately, MA facility to each state. Please note that after a certain shipping date, we upgrade all shipments to states in the 5-day transit area to 3DAY Shipping, in order that plants arrive in optimal condition. This will be reflected in the ship charges on your order summary, if applicable.

Based on that, the fact that they're adding extra shipping to your order doesn't make any sense!

First of all, Colorado is shown in their "4 day" shipping zone, and they say the "upgraded shipping" only applies to orders in the "5 day" zone.

And, secondly, they say they do the "upgrade shipping" AFTER A CERTAIN DATE! If you're ordering now, you can't possibly be AFTER and "cutoff" date!

I think I'd contact them to question the extra shipping they're adding to your order. It could possibly be a computer glitch of some sort.

Even if there's somebody who wants to go in on an order with you, I still think I'd find out why they're adding "cruel and unusual" shipping charges to your order.

Happy spring thinking,
    Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Shipping Information

• milehighgirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Skybird,

I did some more fiddling with the order and you are right. If I have the order shipped on the first order date, April 4th, then it's okay, but if I choose the next week the shipping changes to 3 day. So I'll go ahead and try to order and just have it shipped early. I'm not sure how long they will hold cause I'm sure I won't be able to plant the first week of April!

Thank you!

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    13 years ago

Make room in the fridge if you don't have a garage or shed that will stay cold enough! Since they'll be shipped dormant, you should be able to hold them for quite a while if they're kept cold and dark!

I still don't see why they'd be adding extra charges onto your order for any shipping date since it says that only applies to their "5 day shipping zone!" Either the info on their site is messed up, or their computer program is messed up!

Happy looking-forward-to-your-asparagus,
    Skybird