Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

3rd Annual I.E. Pick-A-Peck of Peppers Swap

highalttransplant
12 years ago

Okay, this Incredible Edibles swap was scheduled for March, but I just can't wait any longer to get started. Plus, the earlier start date will mean most people will get their seeds back in time to use them for this growing season.

To sign up, just follow the link below, as the swap is posted on the Round Robin Forum.

I'm posting this on other forums as well, so it should be a good turnout. Hope you will join me!

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: 3rd Annual I.E. Pick-A-Peck of Peppers Swap

Comments (6)

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, tomorrow's the last day to mail packages for the swap.

Great turnout this year, over 30 participants! Hard to believe that even though this was my third year to host, there were still quite a few peppers sent in that I had never even heard of.

Hosting this swap is fun, but it is not helping me keep my growlist to a reasonable size ...

Hope to see you next year!
    Bonnie

• elkwc
    12 years ago

Bonnie the grower who I get some of my NM Chile seeds from and the original grower of the seeds I sent you just sent me an email with a picture of the new world record Big Jim Chile. Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Chile Seeds USA

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Jay, for sharing that! We'll have to compare notes on how long our Big Jim's are later this season, LOL! I'm also growing Joe's Long (aka Whippet's Tail) which is also supposed to get pretty long. Who know's maybe I'll grow a record breaker this year, haha!

Hey, did you see on the swap thread on the Round Robin forum that I have packaged up over 60 packets of seeds so far from your donation? Thank you so much for helping to make this swap a success!!!

Bonnie

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

Has anyone grown 'Carlo Putini'? There is very little info on the web, but my order from Sandhill came through big time, and I have 50-odd seedlings up.

I have about 4x seedlings than room, so I need to be ruthless here. Its supposed to be a 'cayenne-like' hot pepper, but I already have 50-odd Hungarian Carrot peppers, which are pretty darn hot as well. And then I have a whole bunch of jalapenos. I don't need 200 plants to make salsa and hot sauce, so I need to whittle this down ........

Jay, I see that your guy sells Guajillo seed. I can't grow them here, but that is one great pepper when it comes to making pinto beans.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Started shipping packages back out today. Yippee!!! My family would like me to catch up on the laundry, LOL!

David, I haven't grown Carlo Putini, but I'm trying Guajillo this year. Does it just need a longer season? If you were a little closer, I'd come take all those extra seedlings off your hands, 'cause it's obvious I'm not going to have enough this year : )

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

Bonnie, when it comes to Gjajillo, I just eat 'em :-). I think they need a warmer clime/ longer season than I have.

I get them dried - all the heat is in the seeds, and it isn't that much. Adding one or two to a pot of stew adds a great flavor - remove when ready to serve. For beans, I roughly crush a few dried peppers, fry them a bit in oil until they start to smell good, then add soaked pinto beans, water, salt, and simmer away.

Today I started transplanting my seedlings. I did 5 trays of 18, and then planted some tiny seedlings directly into large containers as an experiment. Still a long ways to go.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area