Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gjmancini

Spring Swap

gjmancini
9 years ago

Hi All, as discussed at the last spring swap, my sisters and I would like to hold the spirng swap. I know its early, but just wanted to start the topic and put the word out. Any objections? Location is Berthoud.....Let the thread begin.

Comments (30)

• mstywoods
    9 years ago

Sounds terrific to me Gloria! Berthoud would be a lovely place for the swap. I'll stay tuned for the date and time :)

Starting to peek around the yard to see any signs of bulbs coming up - I know, it's too early. But love seeing those first signs of spring and don't want to miss it. LOL

Thanks for volunteering to host!!

Marj

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    9 years ago

Gj,

If you're starting a thread this early, you really want it! I'm on board. My daughter's college graduation is the weekend of May 16th and 17th, so that's the only weekend I can't attend. But, as always, majority rules!

Thanks for starting this. I needed something to look forward to with this dreary weather.

Marj, you cracked me up. Let me know when they start! I wouldn't want to miss it either!

Barb

• smdmt
    9 years ago

Any chance of a Sunday afternoon? I work on Saturdays.

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    9 years ago

Berthoud is a fine location!

• karen58_gw
    9 years ago

flowerridge, go to wintersown.org . Best resource by far.

• mstywoods
    9 years ago

Hey Barb - I found my first sign of spring today (IMO)!!! :^D I brushed away some leaf mulch and could see that some of my Narcissus and Tulip bulbs are beginning to sprout!

:)

Now only 63 more days till 3/20, the official first day of spring!

Marj

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    9 years ago

Yes! I'll meander around this weekend and see if I can find anything starting. My veggie garden and main perennial bed are still buried under 2 - 4 inches of snow and ice. We have about 30% snow cover elsewhere. It's going to be a muddy mess around here for the next few days.

But I'll take it! By this time of year I've usually had to drag out hoses to water trees a couple of times. Not this year.
    The countdown to spring begins!

Thanks, Marj!

Barb

• gjmancini
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok everyone, lets start looking at dates, Dee any thoughts?
    I also need something to look forward to, Ive been starting hardwood cuttings and seeds....I know, I know...... Im going to be overrun in a month. I do this all the time. I cant help it, I have cabin fever.

• gjmancini
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How about the May 16th or 17th?

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    9 years ago

I think later in the month (16th or 17th as suggested by Gloria) would be best. Gives folks a chance to get seedlings and such hardened off, which, if this year is anything like last, we might not be able to start doing that until after Mothers Day.

Since I am pretty much a flake when it comes to the swaps, feel free to ignore me lol.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    9 years ago

Hi Gloria,

I've been really busy! I read the beginning of this thread a couple weeks ago and was planning to reply, but just never got back here. Haven't even had time for the last couple weeks to come read what's going on every day like I usually do! I'm sorry it's taken me this long to post!

For me, like Barb, the only weekend I cannot make it is the weekend of the 16/17. I'm starting to make plans for my spring vacation, and if reservations work out I hope to be in the general vicinity of Cortez that weekend. I'm not sure yet exactly what day I'm leaving, but the weekend before that and the weekend after that could be cutting it really close to when I leave and come back, so, actually, the last weekend, 30/31, would work the best for me, but I'm pretty sure I could make it on 9/10 or 23/24. I don't know if others want to wait all the way till the end of the month! I'm surprised there haven't been any more comments from others about what works for them!

As long as I'm in town, Saturday OR Sunday works for me--or any other day! Just mentioning that because Smdmt suggested a Sunday.

I've only missed a couple of the swaps since we started having them in spring of '07, but if 16/17 winds up working best for the most people this time, I'll just plan on being at the Fall Swap again!

Does anybody else have any preference as to what day/date it is this time???

Skybird

• gjmancini
    Original Author
    9 years ago

May 9-10th is Mothers day weekend
    23-24th is Memorial Weekend

Looks like 16th, 17th isn't looking good for some.

So the only day left that we are able to host would be Saturday May 30th. Please give feedback.

• mstywoods
    9 years ago

30th sounds great to me!

Marj

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    9 years ago

The 30th works for me, too!

Barb

• luckybottom
    9 years ago

Not sure we can make it, keep us in the info loop and we will confirm when our schedule firms up.

• gjcore
    9 years ago

I'm 90% positive that I will be attending with a guest.

9 years ago

Glad you "found us," Greg!!! And glad you'll be able to come to the swap--I can use some more potatoes and onions and squash..... ;-D

Skybird

• gjmancini
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess the 30th it will be then. The sisters have made work accommodations for that day. I hope everyone finds us OK, something new to get used to. Anyhow, I read somewhere that the new site is not allowing us to plan events? Whats that about. Dee, your thoughts......should i start a new thread for folks that will be coming. Looking forward to seeing everyone and a new growing season ahead of us.

Gloria (gjmancini)

9 years ago

I am pretty sure the info about not planning events in not the case. Apparently, from one of the Houzz users who has migrated to the GW side, a group of folks "over there" planned a cross country trip with one another via this website (houzz, not gw)

As always, I will do my very best to make it on the 30th, I'm going to have a ton more veggie starts than I will ever need in a single season that will need good homes, and, the good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, some flowers that I'm attempting to start from seed.

• vlselz
    9 years ago

Ohhh it'll be my 2nd spring swap, of hopefully MANY more to come, 'm so excited!!! I missed the fall swap which really disappoints me b/c i wanted to see Bonnie's (i believe that's who house it was at, sorry if im wrong) wonderful place everyone talked about =) Back to the spring swap, I will be ready for it this year, I only had a couple things last year and some didnt even survive. 30th sounds great to me =)

9 years ago

Let's pretend it's Spring!

9 years ago

Gloria,

Why don’t you go ahead and start a new thread. That’ll make it easier for folks to read
    since they won’t need to skip down all this “pre-planning” stuff! Give it a slightly different subject so we
    can tell which the new one is. Maybe
    something like Spring Swap 2015 – Date, or anything just so it’s recognizably
    different since, inevitably, someone will bump this thread up to the top again.

Just for my information, does your current email address
    still end with @msn.com? Just checking
    to see if I have one that’s gonna work!

Skybird

P.S. PopMama, your “spring”
    pic is really nice, but I don’t need to pretend! I already have yellow crocus blooming in four
    different places! We’ll see what the
    Coming Weather does to ‘em!

9 years ago

"I don’t need to pretend! I already have yellow crocus blooming in four different places!"

My neighbor does, too, I'm so jealous! I planted about 20 crocus last September/October and judging by all the ones that are already blooming, I'm assuming they died, I don't even have any breaking through the soil.

As long as we're pretending though, I DO have violas that started blooming in January!

9 years ago

I confess that I was experimenting with picture posting/html embedding. That pic is quite old.

9 years ago

That's ok, Mama! There's no way to see when a pic was taken anymore, so now we can all cheat! You should SEE all the things I have blooming in my yard already!!! hehehe!

• gjmancini
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes Dee, Im still @msn.com

Gloria

9 years ago

Thanks for that, Gloria! When you get a chance go over to Zach's Email Tree thread and post there that you want to participate! PMing each other has turned into a zoo here since houzz has taken over, so we're trying to get a mailing list going for RMG so we can all still easily communicate with each other if/when we need to. What we're trying to do is explained more on that thread. I'm going to be sending addresses I have to Zach when people post that they want to "join the tree!"

And, regarding the swap, when you get around to starting the new thread, I'll make time to post there what's up with the PMing situation, and, hopefully we'll be able to get everyone who wants to come to the swap to include themselves in the list to help make it easy for you to get the addresses! It could get a little bit difficult this time, but we'll get it figured out!

Skybird

• lkcrawford
    9 years ago

Wow, you are all early! I thought I was looking early, but I missed the date discussion already! I'll be out of town until Friday - I'll have tons of seedlings and such again this year but not sure if they'll survive with the house sitter (not a gardener!). Gloria, are you interested at all in having me bring them up to you before I go?? You'd get first dibs if you are into garden veggies :)

Thanks!

Lisa C

• gjmancini
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thats fine Lisa, contact me before the swap and we can arrange to meet to pick up your plants for the swap.