Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maxinmontrose

need sources for seeds suitable for western CO

maxinmontrose
11 years ago

hi all - I'm new to gardening on the Western Slope (Montrose, 6000'). this will be my second season gardening here and would like to know if anybody has reliable sources for seeds that would work well here. Any other advice also welcome! thanks, Barbara

Comments (4)

• david52 Zone 6
    11 years ago

Greetings from SW Colo!

I order seeds from all over the place - Johnny's and Territorial, this year. Seeds of Change is based in Santa Fe, which has a roughy similar climate.

Your best bet is to find a local nursery that *should* carry seeds appropriate for Montrose. If there are any specific vegetables you're curious about, just ask here on the forum.

• maxinmontrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks very much. I ha forgotten about Seeds of Change, and Santa Fe is very similar. I'm afraid our garden stores are not all that great so I think Mail order is the way to go. Now if I could just do something about the weather........

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    11 years ago

Hi Max/Barbara,

Here's a link to a 2012 thread about what seed catalogs some of the people around here are getting. If you want to take the time to look all the way thru it, it'll give you some ideas. The companies are all over the country, but like David said, if you're wondering if other people have had luck with something in particular, just start another thread to ask here on RMG.

The catalogs seem to keep coming earlier every year, and I have a whole stack of them already. I recommend you get on as many mailing lists as you can find and, if nothing else, it gives you a whole lot of pretty pictures to look thru---AND gives you information from a bunch of different sources about many different varieties.

I ordered a LOT of stuff last year and and never really got a veggie garden put in at all, so about the only things I'll be ordering this year are a couple varieties of tomatoes. Next year I'll probably go off the deep end and break the bank again! Those pictures sure are pretty!!!

Welcome to RMG,
    Skybird

P.S. And if you go to the bottom of the main RMG page (by the box that says "birthdays") and search this forum only for "catalogs," you'll get links to other years when we posted info about the catalogs we were getting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Catalogs - 2012

• maxinmontrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Skybird...I will definitely look through the list. I am on a few mailing lists already, and was just wondering yesterday why I hadn't gotten any catalogs yet. My husband just told me when he checks our PO box, there are many catalogs so he just throws them all away! ARGH,! I will reroute them to the Montrose house in future!
    On another note, I'm so glad I found this website. I am sure the community will be a big help....the altitude and short season here is going to take some getting used to. It's nice to know there are nice people out there willing to offer their expertise to others. Barbara