Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_denver

Winter Sowing

julie_denver
12 years ago

I'm thinking about doing some winter sowing, but I'm worried that all of these warm days we've been having will mess it up. Has anyone tried and succeeded? I have enough seed that I'm going to start some lettuce and broccoli this weekend. I'm just worried that the warm weather will trick the seeds into sprouting too soon and then we'll get too many freezing nights.

Comments (7)

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

Hi Julie!

This will be my 6th year to wintersow. This is also the mildest winter we've had since I started doing it. I am planning on getting started in a couple of weeks. My cold season veggies, such as lettuce, spinach, etc. are usually sown in late January, and are sprouting by late February. Perennials can be done now too, but I would hold off on anything tender, like basil or marigolds, until closer to March, or even early April.

If you want to read more about when, and what, people in this area wintersow, check out last year's wintersowing thread below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wintersowing '11

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

... and here's the thread from 2010. It's got some step-by-step pictures, if you're interested.

Hope this helps some!

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Wintersowing 2010

• julie_denver
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the links Bonnie - I'm will take a look at both of those threads. I'm really excited to try it out this year!

• polygonum_tinctorium
    12 years ago

Thank you for the links! I too will be trying it out this year. Well, assuming I get myself organized in time.

• mstywoods
    12 years ago

I haven't tried winter sowing, but find it intriguing so may try to do some. Not knowing what types of veges are considered cool season varieties, I did an internet search and found this list at http://www.examiner.com/backyard-living-in-national/a-list-of-some-cool-weather-vegetables:

Asparagus (perennial)
    Asparagus pea
    Beets (warm and cool seasons)
    Broccoli
    Brussels sprouts
    Cabbage
    Carrots (warm and cool seasons)
    Cauliflower
    Celeriac
    Celery
    Chinese greens
    Fava beans
    Kale
    Kohlrabi
    Lettuce
    Onion
    Parsnip
    Peas
    Radishes (warm and cool seasons)
    Rhubarb
    Rutabagas
    Spinach
    Swiss chard
    Turnips

Does this look like an accurate list for types of veges that will do well for winter sowing? Haven't found as nice and tidy of a list of herbs for winter sowing, yet ...

Marj

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

Hi Marj!

That list looks pretty accurate to me.

Here are the ones that I've wintersown:

Arugula
    Beets
    Broccoli
    Carrots
    Cauliflower
    Lettuce
    Onions
    Peas
    Rhubarb
    Spinach
    Swiss chard

I choose to direct sow the root vegetables, such as carrots, parsnips, and radishes. They are kind of a pain to transplant, and if not done carefully, you end up with crooked roots.

Herbs wintersow very well. Here is a list of the ones I have successfully wintersown:

Basil
    Bronze Fennel
    Chamomile
    Chives
    Garlic Chives
    Cilantro
    Dill
    Lavender
    Lemon Balm
    Marjoram
    Oregano
    Parsley
    Sage
    Summer Savory
    Thyme
    Winter Savory

Most of those are perennial or biennial, and quite cold tolerant. The big exception is basil. I hold off on that one until April.

I tried wintersowing Rosemary, Stevia, and various mints without much success. The Lemon Balm germinates fine with wintersowing, but I can never seem to keep it alive. I'm going to try a couple new-to-me ones this year - Cumin, and Lemon Grass. I'll let you know how it goes.

Bonnie

• kvenkat
    12 years ago

This will be my second year at WS. Last year I started some things at the end of January then did a few more each month through late April.

The ones that were successful were:

Spinach
    Kale
    Arugula
    Mizuna
    Petunia
    Zinnia
    Switchgrass
    Four O'clocks
    Dichondra

A bunch of other things came up but were killed from overwatering when I went on vacation.

If the weather worries you, you could reserve some seeds to try again in case of winterkill. WS is fun and seeds are cheap. Give it a try!