Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
b2alicia

Oh My! Lookie! Is this the same cart??

b2alicia
13 years ago

I can't believe that, just yesterday, I learned about a spiffy wonderful garden cart... only to discover that a new one would cost me $300-400.

So I was browsing through craigslist, and saw this!!

Does it look like the right one?

Can you see anything in the picture that looks like it would need fixing?

If everything looks fine, I'll try to go pick it up tomorrow!

Thanks!

Betty

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Cart!

Comments (22)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    13 years ago

Hi b2,

From what you can see in the picture, it looks well used but still in pretty good shape! It's pretty hard to tell for sure. I copied it to enlarge it, but the way I did it, the resolution is too poor to see any more!

Since you'd be going in person to get it, you could check it out before handing over the cash! It IS the same size as mine, which I think is a very "useable" size! If you go to look, be sure all the plywood is still stable and not starting to delaminate anywhere. Check that all the bolts are still in good condition and tight or tightenable! Be sure the handle and stand are undamaged. And definitely be sure the tires and wheels are in good shape! Mine has "solid" tires, but I'm assuming that one has inflatable tires, and you wouldn't want to need to spend money to replace them right away. Be sure the rubber is still in good (air holding!) condition. Other than that, and assuming this one has a "removable" front panel, be sure that still works properly. Mine doesn't have that! When it comes to the handle, I'd say it's important to be sure that's still really strong because as David was describing in his Stump Escapades, you'll find that when you're trying to load large heavy stuff, you'll tend to stand the cart up on the front end, slide the "whatever" onto the front panel, and then use the handle as leverage to get the cart back up into "rolling" position! (Preferably not on a hillside!!! LOL) So if the handle should seem to be weakened in any way, it could bend or break if/when you do that! Also, if it does have the removable front, you'd want to be sure that's still stable enough to do the Leverage Lifting Maneuver!

I'd say check it out and GO FOR IT if it looks good in person!

Remember you're going to need a BIG vehicle to bring it back home!

Skybird

• b2alicia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks skybird!

Hopefully I can check it out tomorrow before the snow gets serious! I'll take your reply with me when I go. :)

I'll take a picture of it , and let you know what happens!

Betty

• dsieber
    13 years ago

Looks like you have uncovered the source of the "new" Garden Way carts. Mine has had to many Hillside Stump Incidents vs Escapades so I may be looking for a replacement.

• b2alicia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Update----no reply yet from the seller of the cart...

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

Following this closely here. That cart looks in better shape than my cart.

• b2alicia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey! I've got dibbies on this cart, David!

Just kidding!

(no reply yet.)

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    13 years ago

Don't you love Craigslist? It can be a pain dealing with people not responding, but I love not paying full price for stuff. Especially functional stuff people aren't using.
    It's probably not a good day for traveling about. I hope you can get to check it out later in the week. Follow Skybrid's advice, check it out and wheel it around before you buy it.
    Keep warm!

• b2alicia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Update -
    Received reply, spoke with seller.

Was planning to go today, but there's this weird slippery white stuff outside!
    Seller said he saw 2 cars slide off the road just while we were on the phone.
    Planning to go tomorrow.

• b2alicia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ooh Barb, I agree!..I've made some great finds on Craigslist.
    I have pics below of some of them.

This is the leather set I found for $600.

And I love this patio set!
    {{gwi:703335}}

What sort of things have you found there?

• b2alicia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's my NEW cart!

The fella who had it, is an older guy who used to live on a big property, but now lives in a small condo community. He said he and his wife are traveling so much these days, that they don't have time for gardening anyway.

They live right off McCaslin, so it was an easy pick-up!

YAY for my new cart!

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    13 years ago

YAY! Glad you got it, b2! It looks to be in good shape yet to me.

I see it came with some snow on the tires!

;-)
    Skybird

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    13 years ago

B2alicia,
    I'm sorry I missed your post earlier. Great score on the cart!
    My Craigslist scores are:
    Eastern red cedar seedlings, I ended up buying 10, should have bought more.
    A fountain with ducks and rabbits, very funky, love it!
    5'x10' horse fence panels.
    Planters, plant stand, pots, landscape timbers, pavers, an arbor and a trellis.
    My kitchen table, ended up looking underneath it and it's an Ansager from Denmark, quite a find.

My 2 favorite adventures were:
    1. I ended up buying flagstone from a guy that bought an rv business. The stone was left by the previous owner and was just taking up space in his lot. He offered to load it for me, then tipped his forklift on the first pallet. We broke it down into 4 pallets with no further incidents. It took 2 trips with 2 pickups to get it home. I think I paid $100 bucks for it. It's the big heavy stuff, 2-3 inches thick and most pieces 3' x 3'. My brother, who does landscaping said I basically stole the stuff.
    My dog run, 6 x 6 chain link panels from a lovely man in Lyons. He was using it to protect his garden. Bears had smashed in and climbed through the roof panels to get at his veggies. Fortunately the side panels were intact. DH and I came prepared with tools and all to take it down as he didn't want to dissasemble it. We had so much fun talking, before you knew it, he was helping, then his family came out and it turned into a party! I think we spent half a day with them.
    I love meeting the people and hearing the stories as much as getting the bargains.
    But, you have to be careful and I wouldn't meet anyone alone these days. I have too trusting a nature not to have back up!
    Enjoy that cart!

Barb

• b2alicia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! great job Barb!

I think I saw that fountain!

• dsieber
    13 years ago

Nice looking cart... After seeing that my large garden way looks older than it's 30 years. Heck it looks more like me!!! Grey vs brown.

• b2alicia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, dsieber! I can't wait to use it!

You've had your gardenway for 30 years? Wow, that seems like a long life for a cart. Do you have a picture of it? What kind of maintenance does it take to give it such a long life?

I'm hoping to be using mine for at least 10 years... I'd appreciate any tips. One thing I think I should do in April is to give the metal wheel parts a good spray of WD-40 so that it runs smoothly. Any other ideas?

Thanks!
    Betty

• dsieber
    13 years ago

I have had it for 30 years but maybe used it seriously for 20. Lubricate it like you say, keep tires inflated to proper pressure. And most importantly keep it under cover.

My Iphone's camera gave up 2 years ago. So no photos. Looks grey in the bed due to all the rocks I have hauled in it.

• AliceMae123
    13 years ago

Hey ~ I found almost the same cart on Amazon. But it's aluminum, holds about 330lbs.and folds up! I thought it was a really good all purpose utility cart! Pondering the purchase!

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden & Utility Carts

• oakiris
    13 years ago

For some reason, your link takes me to a review of the Black and Decker CCC3000 Cordless Lawn Care Center, there are no carts on the page..... I think you meant to link the page below...? That looks like a nice cart, too, and the fact that it can be folded up for storage is a plus.

Both carts are way too expensive for me, though - unless you can luck out like b2alicia did and find one on Craigs list!

Holly

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Cart

• b2alicia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ooh! I like how that metal cart dismantles! That would be so handy for a small space, or for transporting stuff.

Good choice!

• b2alicia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I bought lots of heavy compost, and vermiculite, and peat moss yesterday at Murdocks!

Guy at the store loaded everything into the car for me, but, I had to move it all out, in order to make place for the swap items. :)

First heavy load in the cart, so I didn't notice before that the tires were flat.
    Where should I take the cart to get them fixed?
    Ace Hardware?
    Bicycle Village?

Thanks,
    Betty

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

Mine slowly go flat over the winter, and just need pumping up. But if they truly are flat, take them to a bicycle place and ask them to replace the existing inner tubes with "thorn resistant" tubes - well worth the cost and trouble.

• b2alicia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks David! sounds like a great idea!