Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenbean08_gw

Mystery Grass

greenbean08_gw
15 years ago

"Now, if I could only figure out what kind of grass lives in a small area of my back yard that stays dark green without watering and stays green late into the fall...I'd love to have lots more of it..."

I really wasn't intending to hijack magnoliaroad's thread with this, it was a somewhat offhand remark, but I would like to know... soooo...

Does it grow faster or slower than the rest of your lawn (which is probably KBG)?

Ummm, this is what my backyard looks like. The pic is slightly distorted, and taken through a window screen, but you'll see my point....

From Drop Box

The grass I mentioned grows slowly in a small patchy area out there. Most of what you see here is weeds.

What about blade width? Are the blades thicker than your other grass or are they extremely fine?

The blades are somewhat thick.

Does it stay green into winter? If not, how early does it green up in the spring?

I'll have to look tomorrow, but I think it stayed green well into the fall, then turned brown.

Do you mow it? If not, how tall does it get?

No mowing, only about 6" tall

Does it grow in bunches or does it fill in bare spots? If it fills in bare spots, does it do so by way of underground roots, or are there above ground "runners" (like strawberries, etc)? The below ground spreading roots are called rhizomes and hte above ground runners are called stolons.

I think bunches.

By dark green, do you mean a green like the color of KBG (maybe even a little darker) or do you just mean that it doesn't go dormant in the summer?

I think a little darker than KBG. It's very dark green.

My first guess is that it's some type of fescue. If it has very fine blades, it's probably a fine or hard fescue.

If it has wide blades, it could be K31 tall fescue. K31 is really more of a pasture grass than a lawn grass, but it's often included in cheap drought resistant seed mixes. It's very drought tolerant and will often stay green without water, but it's clumpy and grows a lot faster than KBG so it tends to stick out in a lawn with other grass. It might look ok if you had a lawn of all K31, but you'd need to overseed every couple of years.

If you can answer the questions I posted, I might be able to come closer to an answer. It's probably snow covered now, but if you post a picture next year, somebody might be able to ID it. Another option would be to take some to the county extension office. It would be especially helpful if you could take some with roots (and seeds if you get them).

We have no snow right now, and tomorrow is supposed to be another beautiful day, so I'll take a look and see what's out there now. Good idea on the extension office.

I do have a question though, I'm thinking of planting a wheatgrass seed out there (western I think, but i have to look at my notes). It's very sandy and gravelly out there. Do I need to bring in topsoil/amendments, or can I plant in the existing soil?

Thanks!

Amy

Comments (6)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Is this what you have, Amy? I looked it up earlier today to be sure I knew what cheatgrass was! I thought it was the stuff I used to have growing in bare spots in my KBG lawn, and now I know it wasand still is a little bit. When I first moved in here there were some "skimpy" spots in the grass in one corner of the backyard, and I didnÂt realize that cheatgrass was growing there the first yearÂand I wound up with a KAZILLION seeds in that area the next year. Mine always stays really short since it gets mowed with the grass, but it and the seed heads spread out laterally into the KBG and drop seeds everywhere! After seeing it was an annual the first year, the next year I spent a couple evenings in the yard after the stuff got big enough to easily recognize and pulled and/or cut it just below the crown to get out as much as I could. ItÂs quite easy to distinguish from the KBG. I did it in the evening when it was cooling, and it really was kind of pleasant to be out in the yard doing an easy job! I just kept moving my blanket a "little bit further," and eventually got the whole corner done. I repeated that a couple times the first summer, and have done it every now and then each summer sinceÂeven when I didnÂt feel like doing it because I was determined to not let it produce anymore seed, and the cheatgrass is now almost completely gone. And it really helps that IÂve kept the KBG in that corner watered well enough that itÂs grown in almost completely. Cheatgrass, like tumbleweed, doesnÂt really grow much when it has competition from other things. I never knew for sure what it was until I looked it up today, but when people around here started talking about cheatgrass, that sure sounded like the right thing!

Anyway, itÂs on the Colorado Noxious Weed C list, which means youÂre not required to eradicate itÂbut itÂs a BAD thing!

I sure would love to have a whole empty yard like you do to be planning perennials for!

Skybird

• greenbean08_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No, it's not cheatgrass. We have that too, and I did my best to keep it pulled. That and foxtails and other things that end up stuck in dogs paws... Come to think of it, I don't even know if this grass really had seedheads at all? I don't know much about grasses. I know blue grama b/c my neighbor planted it, I know cheatgrass b/c my husband knew it, and I know I never want bermudagrass anywhere near a garden ever again!

The "blank slate" has it's benefits, but sure can be overwhelming!!

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

Ok, the rest of the lawn looks more like dirt than KBG, so we can't compare its growth rate with the rest of the lawn. It's also a little tough to ID the grass from a distance photo, so this is more from the description and the growth pattern.

I don't know how tall K31 fescue gets if left unmowed, but the wide leaves and bunch grass makes me suspect that's what it is. I don't know if it's sold by itself, but it might be. I don't like it much, but part of that is because it doesn't look good mixed in with the rest of the lawn. I will say that when I left my sprinklers off for the last week of July and the month of August last year, a lot of the K31 lived while the KBG died. If you decided to plant it as a lawn, you'd probably end up needing to overseed regularly. It takes a lot to get it to go dormant, but it doesn't do a good job of coming out of dormancy, so if it does go dormant, it's likely to die.

I like the wheatgrass idea, but wheatgrass is likely to get taller than 6 inches. On the other hand, once you get it started, it will fill in bare spots.

I like western wheatgrass best, but I've found it harder to get established than streambank. I haven't tried thickspike, which may better than streambank in sandy soil.

Sheep fescue might be a good choice, too. It's low growing so it can be left unmowed, but it's a bunch grass, so it will tend to get clumpy over time if you don't overseed. However, it's even more drought tolerant than K31 fescue, so you'll lose less to drought. Also, if you mow it every once in a while, that will encourage tillering and it will fill in to some extent.

If you plant a mixture of wheatgrasses and sheep fescue, the stand will probably get dominated by the western wheatgrass over time if it is left unmowed. I was told by somebody at Biograss sod farm that if you mow the sheep fescue, it tillers aggressively enough that it can end up dominating the stand. The streambank (or thickspike) will hold its own, especially since it is likely to get a head start due to establishing more quickly.

I think that if I were you, I'd try to kill what's there first. I didn't kill everything first and it has taken a lot longer (and a lot more seed) to get the lawn to a point where it is mostly native grass. In my case, it was a little harder psychologically, because I had a pretty full lawn. Since yours is mostly dirt already, I think I'd bite the bullet.

• greenbean08_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks bpgreen. I figured posting the pic would much more effectively convey "there is no lawn" :-) When I pull up my neighborhood on GoogleMaps, even without much zooming, I can easily spot my yard, and our neighbors don't have lush green lawns, they're more prairie-like. I don't even have that!!

I'm pretty sure I took the picture BEFORE I pulled out the nasty weeds growing out there. I pulled 5 or 6 really full loads in my garden cart this summer. My goal for the grass area that will be back there is one that once established, won't require much water. Occasional mowing is no problem. I just don't want to be a slave to the lawn.

There's not too much to kill out there, that's for sure. I can easily understand why you tried to make the change without the initial destruction of the lawn...that's also why we're not discussing my front lawn as well (right now at least). Really, with my back yard, it can only get better!

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure I'll have more questions soon...

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

"It's very sandy and gravelly out there. Do I need to bring in topsoil/amendments, or can I plant in the existing soil? "

I forgot to answer this question earlier. If you go with a native grass, you should be able to plant in what you've got. They'll do better with better soil, but they're adapted to pretty harsh conditions.

One thing that should be mentioned here is that if you plant natives, you want to minimize fertilizer use. Western wheatgrass is probably the only one that would do well with a "normal" fertilizer schedule. Some of the other choices would do poorly or even die with the amount of fertilizer a KBG lawn gets.

• greenbean08_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I looked at the little grasses today. There is actually some green in there mixed in with the brown. It does look like a bunch grass since it's like little mounds of grass. There are some seeds low to the ground around it, but I'm not sure if they are from that grass or another type out there. There's a much more fragile-seeming grass that lives out there that puts out seeds very low to the ground.