Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

Who's here in 2008!

Hi Everyone,

Since I seem to have gotten an "accidental" vacation, I guess now would be a good time to start this for this year!

Calling all RMG regulars, visitors, and lurkers. Please sign in and let us know youre hereÂand give us an idea of where youÂre located so we can have a better idea of the climate and the conditions youÂre dealing with when you post. And if we donÂt know you yet, tell us a little bit about yourself if youÂd like to. I know weÂd all like to get to know you better!

IÂm going to try to do another List again this year if I can keep up with it now that IÂm back to work. IÂm linking last yearÂs List below for those who donÂt know what IÂm talking about, and so those of you on last yearÂs List can look to see if youÂd like any changes to your location. This yearÂs List will be started from scratch, so only the people who actually post on this thread will be on it.

IÂm going to need some HELP this year! Last year I tried to say "hi" to everyone who signed in here, but IÂm sure I wonÂt have time to do that again this year, so to all you REGULARS out there, please help me welcome each person as they "enter and sign in."

Welcome everyone! WeÂre glad youÂre here!

Skybird

Comments (142)

• matoad_gw
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hello Skybird and Everyone! I have a new definition of optimism- people who start thinking about planting in January when here in RMG we have lots more winter!! I am back again and looking forward to another season of tending to my flowers and grass from Arvada just south of the Westminster Mall. We lost all the grass in our backyard a few yrs ago and are determined (with the help of our 2 dogs!!) to get that reseeded and healthy. I have already been out removing piles of leaves from precious little bulbs poking their heads up- I am not a patient person waiting for all bits of winter to be gone........I am aware that relatives back in Indiana can plant long before we can BUT they are blessed with that awful humidity too!! Good toiling to us all! P.S. My name stems from fact I hang out on the Reptile/Amphibian forum alot.

• laura_42
    16 years ago

Hello all --

I am an absolute newcomer to gardening, but have lived in Colorado for most of my life. Am currently in Fort Collins with a postage-stamp sized yard on a wicked slope, but have all sorts of creative (and perhaps overly idealistic?) plans to coax some flowers and veggies out of it this summer.

Look forward to sharing with everyone,

L

• mtgrower
    16 years ago

Greetings from another Billings, Mt resident!

I've lived a nomadic life (so to speak) so I have gardened in a lot of different places. This is our second year of operating a small CSA and I am really enjoying it. Well, everything except the greenhouse threatening to blow away with the wild winds we are having at the moment >.Darby

• pinepixy
    16 years ago

Hey, Mags/sweetmagnoliame! I don't know if you ever wander over to the Utah Gardening forum but we just had a really fun seed swap at the SLC library on the 22nd. We are hoping to have a plant exchange in May too....great stuff that DOES grow in Utah! And I think got as many good tips as good seeds. :)

Cheers,
    Kjerstin

• boulder_sharon
    15 years ago

I just discovered this forum. It's excellent! I hope someone is still checking in on this thread. I've enjoyed reading about all the folks out there.

I live in Boulder, CO (you probably guessed that, huh?). Zone finder says Zone 5 but I'm closer to 6, at least I'm betting on that since I'm tearing out my dangerous Illini thorned blackberries for thornless ones and they are only hardy to 6. :-)

I have lived in North Boulder nearly 18 years. Previously from the humid, mildew-covered shore of NJ and downstate NY. It was quite a shock when I first moved here. Gardening is very different when the humidity routinely gets stuck in the teens, the wind blows 60 mph, and no rain falls. I can't say I have it figured out, but I'm getting better.

My small suburdan yard is largely xeric except for the vegetable garden. After living here a few years, I ripped out every blade of Kentucky bluegrass. I hate tending a lawn. Not that I spend less time without the lawn. But I know I enjoy it a lot more, as do all the birds and critters that pass through (though I could do without the raccoons stealing my grapes). I am constantly moving plants. This spring I have to move a couple of rose bushes and I'm sure I'll find a few other things to move before next winter. :-)

I have usually planted a lot of veggies but the last two years I was training for a week-long bike tour and my garden was terribly neglected. This year, I'm back at it and things are already looking much better. I'm short on good sun for my garden, so I don't actually have a big vegetable garden. I try to pack a lot in and leave the space hogs like sweet corn and squash to the Farmer's Market.

To give you an idea of what a nut I am, I adopted three bunnies from the Humane Society years ago so that I would have a constant supply of rabbit manure for my garden. My husband thought I was loony but they are awfully cute!

• amester
    15 years ago

My turn! Skybird, put me down for Broadway and C-470. If I remember correctly the swap is May 17? We have guests coming into town but they'll either have to tag along or do without me for a spell...is that wrong?? ;)

I'm doing well, still cancer free (yay!), getting some energy back and PSYCHED to get out in the dirt this year! I did my spring cleanup last weekend, my son kept busy with a trowel and dump truck when he wasn't trying to rake up my little baby callirhoe plants (call me Momma Intervention).

Went nuts at Bluestone and bought some shrubs, grasses and perennials to start in my back border - at last!

I could supply a small country with Sunset Hyssop - anyone need to take over a field? I'm your girl...

Welcome and welcome back, everyone, happy little greenies poking their heads up to you all!

• meteor04
    15 years ago

I post quite a bit, so I should add myself.

I'm in Northglenn, roughly 104th and Washington.

• ksplanter
    15 years ago

Hi All....we're still out here in windy western KS..thanks Skybird for starting this thread, have enjoyed reading. I'm so sad, we have to go to ND to graduation the day of the spring swap, so Charlene I'm going to miss it!
    Spring fever has taken over here also! Daffodils and hyacinth are blooming, yahoo!
    Hi to you all!

• amester
    15 years ago

Hi, Kelly, I've been thinking about you all year! I'm so sad you won't be back for this swap but I owe you daylilies so we can have our own little mail-swap. :) Do you still have my list? Can you email me offline (maybe this year it'll actually work!!)?

• idaho_gardener
    15 years ago

Boise, Idaho

The clay soil here on the first bench is looking good. The irrigation ditch should have water in it this month. We're still getting frost on some mornings, but we should be good to go in a week.

The official frost date is 8 May, but I'm hoping to cheat that by at least two weeks.

• malusgarden
    15 years ago

Hi! I'm a new gardener living in Evergreen, CO. Our elevation is about 7,000 feet here and my yard is sloped, rocky, and partly sunny. There are quite a few
    ponderosa(?)pines in the yard so we have a lot of pine needles all over! I want to start a small perennial garden in a little spot that does get full sun. We get a lot of deer and elk through our yard, which adds another little challenge.
    I am so new to gardening that I'm not sure where to begin. Eventually, I'd like to tackle the rest of the yard but I thought a small flower bed would be less overwhelming. I think xeriscaping would probably be best for my area, but I don't know very much about it.
    I will take any and all advice...and I need it! Thank you!
    Alex

• Azura
    15 years ago

Hmm... this is only slightly off topic but has anyone heard from Cnetter lately??

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Welcome, Alex! We have deer here, but the closest I've seen elk to my property is the river, which is a couple of miles away, so I don't have any first hand experience with what they eat. Maybe someone else will chime in on that one. For me, the things that are fairly xeric, that the deer haven't bothered include Gaillardia, Achillea, Agastache, and Echinacea. Just don't plant tulips and daylilies!

Azura, I was thinking the same thing the other day! She hasn't checked in here, or on the Spring Swap thread.

Bonnie

• amester
    15 years ago

Alex, hello - I ripped out all of the sod in my front yard a couple of years ago and xeriscaped - best thing ever! I have piles of volunteers and would be happy to share if you could use some free plants (hyssop, catmint, sundrops, valerian, etc). Everything loves sun, does great in my nasty clay, and most are deer resistant too! Drop me a line or let me know if you'll be at the swap. Same goes for Holly or anyone else who's interested. I'll even mail stuff out if someone outside of metro Denver wants to reap the rewards of my being too lazy to deadhead anything. :)
    Nice to see new names, yay!

• robbjo
    15 years ago

Hey All!

Robb here from Thornton,checking in with a new raised garden project this year. Just planted carrots this weekend as well as some musclun. Have plans for corn, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, squash/zucchini, hot and bell peppers. (can hardly wait for Mother's Day!

Take care

• sarah_colorado
    15 years ago

Hi - I'm Sarah in Castle Pines North. I've dabbled in gardening for a while, but this year I would really like to create some new beds and expand my raised bed area. My goal is to create a potager, but we'll see how that goes!

I'm hoping to attend the swap. I don't have anything to swap, but would love to get to know you all!

• katzpur
    15 years ago

Hi! Katzpur here! I'm from Salt Lake City and am pretty new to gardening. After living in our house for 24 years, we finally were able to have our yard professionally landscaped two years ago. We were delighted with the layout of the flower beds, etc., but were very disappointed with the inadequate information the landscapers left us with, in terms of how to maintain our yard in the future. Specifically, I don't know when to transplant things, how to prune or cut things back (I think I destroyed my beautiful lavender by cutting it back when I shouldn't), or a whole lot of anything else. I am so enthusiastic about my yard for the first time in my life, but am desperately in need of advice. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and taking advantage of your expertise.

May I start with one quick question, after which I'm going to start exploring the site further. I'm not even sure which zone Salt Lake City falls in. When I look at a zone map, it's kind of hard to tell. I guess that's because we're right where the Rocky Mountains meet the desert. If it makes any difference, I'm in the foothills, just about a mile west of where the mountains actually start. I know that I'm just high enough to get snow when other parts of Salt Lake City don't.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello, hello, hello! Welcome everyone! Its been over a month since Ive gotten back here, so its way past due. Its great to see so many of you checking in, and I love seeing all you newbies that have registered and let us know youre here.

To all of you who just decided to register in the last couple months, were so glad to have you here. BalkanDina, H Geist, Mtgrower, BoulderSharon, Meteor04, MalusGarden, KatzPur, and HoppitHaven, welcome! Im sure everyone here at RMG hopes youll decide to hang out here and to post both to ask questions and to help us answer them and to add your opinions to everyone elses.

Hoppity, Holly, and anyone else who has poor soiland thats a lot of folks in the Rocky Mountain regionbe sure to check out the compost thread for some ideas on improving your soil. Homemade compost is some of the best stuff you can use to help your soil, and, while it might take a while to get much useable compost, even a small pile can eventually help a lotANDa compost pile is also a great place to "raise" earthworms, which can also help greatly with soil improvement.

Welcome to RMG, Sanj! Sanj, Hoppity, BalkanDina, BoulderSharon, RobbJo, and all you other veggie gardeners, youll find at least a couple tomato threads and various other veggie threads around here each year, so keep an eye out for regional specific veggie info. And if youre getting into something new, be sure to come ask for recommendations from others who have already grownor tried to growwhatever youre thinking of.

BalkanDina, were glad youve decided to let us know youve been around, and I hope youll decide to post comments and questions now that youre registered. Im usually the nosey one around here, soare you from the Balkans, or is that one of the places you were during your three year "hiatus?"

GoatGal, Im glad to hear you finally made it out here to high, dry Colorado. Heres one of the better deer resistant plant lists Ive found. Roses are listed as "occasionally severely damaged," but it seems to me it might help if you picked some of the REALLY thorny varieties and then protected them until they grew big enough to be WAY thorny and unappetizing.

Laura, were glad you found RMG, and just let us know how we can help you in the transition from "absolute newcomer" to gardening, to "old hand at it!" Watering on a steep slope can be pretty difficult, so you might want to consider some long term plans for terracing of some sort. If thats not possible, you could possibly consider adding a bunch of big accent rocks with ground cover plants in places to help hold the soil and allow water to soak in more easily. When you do water, do it slowly with a sprinkler that has a pretty fine spray so theres not a whole lot of water going down at once so itll be more likely to soak in rather than run off.

MTgrower/Darby, it sounds like youll be able to help us answer questions around here! We can always use more help! A good friend of mine lives up in Billings, and if I ever get up that way, Ill be sure to look you up!

Iand more Im sureare definitely still checking in around here, BoulderSharon. Were glad you found us! Keep an eye out in a few more weeks for The List when I post it of everyone whos checked in here, and where everybody is. Its fun to know whos where and whos closest to you.

Meteor and RobbJo, Im glad to finally have a couple people up my direction! Im in Thornton near 128th and Colorado Blvd. Ive noticed youve been posting around here lately, Meteor, and I hope youll come check in fairly often too, RobbJo.

Sorry you wont be able to come to the Spring Swap, Kelly. Hope youll be able to join us for the Fall Swap. Drive carefully on your way to North Dakota.

IdahoGardener, glad to have you joining us here. Now Digit has some Idaho company up there! Alright, you guys arent actually that close together, but youre still Idaho neighbors! Hope they have that ditch water running for you by now.

MalusGarden/Alex, welcome, and be sure to come here with your questions as they come up to help you get started. I think the deer resistant list I linked up above might be helpful for you to check out too. No plant is deer proof, but itll probably help make it a little bit less frustrating if youre at least starting with things that they like less than others. Just post here to ask if youre wondering how drought tolerant specific things are.

Sarah, if youre in Castle Pines, it sounds like you can probably use that deer resistant list too! If youre planning to come to the swap, be sure you post on that thread so Charlene gets you down and has a contact address for you to send the directions to her house when the time comes. I hope youre able to make it. The only thing you need to bring to swap is gardening friendship!

KatzPur (I can feel the purring all the way over here!), were glad you decided to register, and just come ask when youre wondering what to do with something. Itll probably help most of the time if you can post pictures so we can see what youre talking about. Did you just cut your lavender back recently? If so, give it plenty of time to get started again. Dont ever assume something is dead at this time of the year. Theres always a chance it just needs more time. Regarding your zone, maybe some of the other SLC people will see this and be able to help you outoryou might want to start a separate thread asking for help with figuring out your zone, and that way its more likely other people near you will see it. From what youve described, Id take a wild guess at zone 5, but, from the map, you might be zone 6 too.

Magnolia, I dont believe youre "design challenged!" Stop with the books and just remember that its your yard and your garden, and as long as you like it, its perfect! And if you decide later youd like it even more some other waythats what shovels are for!

To all the others who have been around here for a while and who have checked in over the last month+, Twhgardener, Meershaum, Debbielaw2, Lindylou, Matoad, thanks for checking in. Youre on The List!

Amester, I havent seen Cnetter around here since December. Im surprised too, tho I have noticed that she disappears for months at a time sometimes. Shell probably be back before too long. Have you signed in on the Swap thread? I didnt see you listed over there. Be sure you get on Charlenes list! I sure hope Im able to make it. Its getting so close now, I just might still be off work again this year! Its funny how things work out sometimes!

NEWBIES NEWBIES NEWBIES

Ive been seeing a LOT of new names around here on RMG, so if youve registered and are around here, post on this thread so youll get on The List of people that are around here this year, and so well all have some idea of where youre located and what unique conditions you may have.

And REGULARS, if you havent checked in here yet, remember, only those people who actually post on this thread will be put on The List this year. I hope to post it in a couple more weeks, so be sure you check in in time to be listed.

I have 72 people on The List so far! Utah is up to 7, and Montana is up to 4 this year. Im only showing 3 in Wyoming so far this year, and Metro Denver is getting close to as many as last year, but COS is still down from last year. There were 86 people on the final list last year, so we still have a few to go to match last year! Keep the cards and letters coming, folks!

Glad to see so many new names posting around here lately,
    Skybird

• finn21
    15 years ago

HELLO!

I haven't been on since last fall, but I sure enjoyed taking part in the discussions last year. I'm gearing up for the new growing season. Seems like there is so much to do already!

I live in Arvada, CO. I'm a water gardener and trying to get some beautiful accent plants (that flower long and often) growing around my pond. Last year, I laid a sprinkler line to the area and this year I'm planning on ramping up my planting with the assistance of my sprinkler system. I tried to be a good manual waterer but I couldn't do an adequate job. Hopefully this year I'll turn the corner with my garden.

My battles from last year: Clay soil, earwigs and intense heat. I expect all the same plus more!

Good to see you all again,
    Finn

• arachne12
    15 years ago

Greetings everyone. I am here in Littleton (Centennial). I have sucessfully xeriscaped about 1/3 of my yard and continue to do more every year. I love talking about drought-tolerant plants and herbs.

• wishccr
    15 years ago

Hi Skybird! I have been so busy, and now here it is gardening time again! Yay!

My goals for the year are to start a compost pile and lay my flagstones for a walkway through my garden (have had the stones for two years and no time to lay them.)

So many things are already looking like late May!

• malusgarden
    15 years ago

Thanks for the warm welcome! Unfortunately, I can't make it to the plant swap. I think I'm going to start by researching some of the plants suggested and trying to get the soil ready. Thanks for the advice!

Original Author
    15 years ago

Glad to see you checking in again, Finn. Ive had earwigs absolutely devastating some of my plants for 3 years now at this house, and I discovered that if I sprinkled granular soil insecticide (the kind you use on your lawn) around the base of the plants that are being eaten, it really helps. I repeat it whenever I start seeing damage again, and I think Im finally getting the numbers knocked way down. It also helps to put some along any wood fences or edging or railroad ties, and under/around any rocks you have with the plants. And according to the package its safe around veggies, so I use it by the spinach and lettuce too. I seem to have fewer and fewer of them around each year, and Im hoping Ill be able to use it less again this year than I did last year. But I cant help much with the clayand cant help at all with the heat!!! ;-)

Welcome Arachne12. I hope youll decide to come join us in some of our discussions around here. Herbs and xeric plants are pretty regular topics, and were always looking for a lot of different ideas.

Thanks for checking in, Wishccr. I have you on this years list. If youre gonna start a compost pile, you might want to check out the Reflections on Compost thread if you havent already done so.

Im going to post this years List before the swap, and thats May 17th, so if you want to be on it, NOW is the time to let us know youre here!

Skybird

• yoda_chan
    15 years ago

Hi everyone,

Thank you, Skybird, for introducing me to this group! I've been hungry for a gardening community and people to swap info and plants with for years.

I've been in Boulder for approx 8 years, originally from Quebec and most recently New Hampshire. I grew up with a gardening father, so after years of renting finally own a house where I've been able to do my own gardening. What a delight.

I'm into flowering xeriscape and, after inheriting a giant and ancient almost tree-trunk-sized jackmani with the house, have become a clematis lover. I am keeping a small area of well-established (no watering needed) lawn in front for contrast with all the color of spring flowers and bulbs, but I keep wondering what I could replace it with that would eliminate mowing too! My area is all clay, so I'm working with clay loving plants where possible.

I've been giving TLC to old overgrown flower beds, creating new ones, have converted a back area shaded with littering trees into a peaceful courtyard with an arbor, and am trying my hand at my first climbing roses.

I hope to meet the bunch of you at the swap!

Original Author
    15 years ago

Welcome, Yoda! Glad to see you made it over here. After you sign up on the Spring Swap Saturday, May 17th thread, you might want to go to the Spring Swap Wishlist thread and post the things youre looking for. And keep an eye on both threads for people posting what theyre bringing and what theyre looking for. And be sure to come post here on RMG anytime you have questions.

Looking forward to meeting you at the swap,
    Skybird

• kwik1
    15 years ago

Howdy everyone. Just bought a house last fall in Highlands Ranch and i'm getting things ready for a productive growing season. I've built a nice 4ft x 8 ft raised bed and look to get my veggies in pretty soon. I've also got some serious landscaping to do this spring, so i'll be picking people's brains with respect to that.

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

Hi all. I live in Falcon, CO (just outside Colorado Springs). We moved here in December, so this will be my first gardening season in the area. I just got some used redwood boards and will be building my garden beds this week. I haven't had a garden the past couple years, so I am looking forward to it!

• ginnytrcka
    15 years ago

I just rushed over from the building forums! I'm still here, but have been swamped with all the building details. This is my first Spring in Colorado Springs having planted some of my own stuff. OOOH it is amazing to see everything come back! Everything is doing great from the last swap--so excited! I also got bunches of perennials on closeout at Lowe's mid-Nov. 10 cents a piece for one and five-gallon containers. Just about everything made it thanks to some mild fall weather. I was even thinking that I killed my expensive Peony 'cause it is just shocking for this CA girl to see plants keel over straight to the ground, but I just saw that it is peeking out of the ground. Coming from so. CA where everything grows year round, it is truly thrilling to see the little green sprigs :) Now if we can just get this house built and moved into, I can really dig into the dirt. Estimated move in in July/August--horrible time to transplant. I may try getting a bed prepped and move some stuff over before the heat really kicks in. Not sure if I'll be able to make the swap this time around, though. It was so fun meeting some local gardeners last time and what a treat with all the daylilies and nicely prepared plants and yummy food. I didn't have time to read through the posts, but if you're new here I would highly recommend going to the swaps as you won't find a friendlier group with tons of combined experience, wisdom, and fun. Looking forward to being more active after we get settled.

• doug_z5_co
    15 years ago

Here in Lyons, CO. where I have around 2/3 acre planted in veggies, fruit trees, and annuals/perennials.

-Doug

• cyclewest
    15 years ago

Okay, I guess I better check in. Highland, UT still working on those fruit trees (cherry, peach, apple - wondering about a pear next year) and berries (raspberries, strawberries, could I throw in a concord grape?, trying to improve upon last year's vegetable garden success, and trying to make sense of our backyard layout, while experimenting more with flowers.

Of course, these efforts compete with coaching my daughter's soccer team and getting ready for the next 100 mile cycling event...

• coloradobird
    15 years ago

I'm here! I live in Littleton, CO. I've learned a lot from the people on this forum, even though I just drop in occasionally. Thanks!

• livenow2008
    15 years ago

Im here in Parker with itty bitty garden space but big, big dreams!
    I grew my first tomato plant last year and loved it. Space is very limitted so this year I'm planting in containers and in my small garden. I hope to get about 3 tomato plants in the ground and another 5 or so in containers. I will be experimenting with black garbage bags to grow some of the tomatoes. Will be growing some heirloom squash, eggplant and whatever else I can fit! I'll take pics and update on progress. Also planted some Lilly of the Valley and a Peony, can't wait to see what happens. Thanks.

• timothynelson53
    15 years ago

It's been a couple years or so since I checked this forum, but have renewed my interest. Former Minnesotan, living in Broomfield, north of Denver. Have raised bed gardens, with typical heavy clay soil much amended with composted manure, regular compost, lasagna method, etc. Have gotten started also with trying to espalier dwarf fruit trees along a fence. Look forward to following posts here.

Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, and thanks for registering to sign in here, Kwik1, Greenbean, and Melanie. Glad youve decided to join us, and we look forward to your questions and comments around here.

Kwik1, it sounds like youre off to a good start at your new house. Just let us know if youre looking for suggestions on things to put in that work around here.

Greenbean, where did you move here from? Are you new to high, dry gardening? Be sure to post if you have any questions.

Ginny, since youre from SoCalisnt it fun to watch everything come back in spring? It kinda makes winter "worth it!" Its a little sad in fall when everything is going dormant, but then you can sit there all winter planning, and dreaming of springand then the magic youve been dreaming of actually happens! If youre able to prepare a small bed to move your things into now, theyd have a nice place to live over the hottest part of the summer, and then fall is a good time to move and transplant perennials (as you found out after the Fall Swap last year), so you could spend the couple summer months getting things ready and then start moving things when it cools in late August and September. I hope youll be able to come to more of the swaps.

Melanie, how are your seedlings doing? I love growing things from seed. Its like a little miracle to get something so wonderful from such a tiny seed. Let us all know if you have any questions we can help with.

Doug, Cycler, ColoradoBird, and Nancy, thanks for checking in. Youre on this years list!

LiveNow, welcome! I was just about to post this when you showed up. Sorry you dont have more space, but there are a couple other people around here who garden in containers, so if you come up with any questions, somebody here can probably help youand youll probably be surprised by how much you can squeeze into a small space!

Yikes! I cant seem to keep up with the thread right now!

Welcome, Timothy! Were glad you decided to come back to RMG to join us here. We have lots of fun and interesting discussions around herenot always exactly on topicbut close enough for our friendly little community. Hope youll join in.

EVERYBODY REMEMBER! Im planning to post The List toward the end of the week, so if you havent signed in here yet, please do in the next couple days.

Glad youre all here,
    Skybird

• lilacs_of_may
    15 years ago

Here from Aurora. For a long time I wasn't able to log in to GardenWeb. I finally tried it again, successfully this time, and here I am.

• dafygardennut
    15 years ago

Hi Lilacs, glad you made it back!

Ginny where in SoCal are you from, I was born and raised all over there, moved here 12 years ago. I love it here, just really miss the beach and palm trees!

• melanieweitzenfeld
    15 years ago

Hello,

I posted on the "Last Call" but wasn't sure if I should do it here, too. That being said...

I'm in the Denver Tech Center. This is my first year starting plants from seed and I LOVE it! I'm doing mostly vegetables with some flowers as well. I am very interested in learning more and hearing about everyone's experiences. Thanks to everyone!

Melanie

• shadygarden_CO
    15 years ago

I'm baaack. I have been silent all winter, but got so much help from you all last spring and summer. This is really the third year for my garden. I have black raspberry bushes (I wanted red, but got black). Other than those and some herbs which I will plant, I have mostly flowers -- 18 rose bushes, about 9 of them miniatures. I have a small back yard -- about 45 by 35, and live in Aurora (Miss. and Chambers vicinity.) I meant to plant some spinach or lettuce in my whisky barrel because I don't have room anywhere else, but didn't get around to it. I also have some perennials and a weigala and a viburnum bush. I really enjoy this forum.

• comary
    15 years ago

In my limited free time, I usually don't get over here to read/post. I'm in Henderson (just east of Thornton).

I also have been learning about gardening at 8000 ft. where we eventually hope for a cabin. Have had a few successes.

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

I moved here from Alaska, but I didn't have a garden there, since we weren't there very long (although we had TONS of raspberries, which I do hope to grow some here)
    I've had a garden in Montana (Great Falls) and West Texas before with some success. I'm trying raised beds with lots of organic material this time, and reading in this forum to be a little more educated. I can't garden the same way my mom in Vermont does...that's for sure.

• nicole__
    15 years ago

I'm here. I don't check in all that often....
    I live in Manitou Springs.

• elkwc
    15 years ago

I live in very SW KS and have been stopping by around a year. I enjoy this forum a lot. And since I'm closer to you than any other forum I share more of the same problems. I mainly lurk and only post if I feel I have something to add. Happy Gardening in 08 to all. JD

• billie_ladybug
    15 years ago

Melanie, Mary, Greenbean, Nicole and Elkwc welcome. Have some fun and join in the banter. All ideas and questions are welcome. Hope you find some interesting ideas.
    Shady, hey your back. Thought you were just hiding in the shade, sipping tea and watching the world go by.

Billie

• mary_id
    15 years ago

Hello all,
    I'm happy to find this group. Digit, I see you are not too far from me. I am north of Potlatch, Idaho. I love growing tomatoes and peppers, some other veggies, some flowers and have varying success with every year being different. I have lots to learn. I do battle the weather and sometimes the critters. Well, I shouldn't say battle so much as contend with. I now grow most of my tomatoes in a poly greenhouse about 10'X20', so they are protected from lots of things. Anyway, thanks for being here!

Mary

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

RMG Newbie here checking in for 2008!!!
    Vic

• jnfr
    15 years ago

I am back again this summer. I live in Westminster, west of Wadsworth, east of Standley Lake, on a sun-baked wind-swept suburban lot that isn't as well-gardened as I'd like, even now.

• araluen
    15 years ago

Hello,

I am very new to the forum and am very excited to have found you all. I live in Golden but very close to Lakewood. I love to garden but being from Australia am finding it extremely challenging. So please bare with me as I will have to ask a lot of questions and definitely need help. Thanks in advance for any advice....

• davies-cc
    15 years ago

This is davies in Canon City. I think I used to post on here as 'shudavies', but GardenWeb says "never heard of ya!", so I re-joined as davies-cc. I took a while off to get divorced in 2007 :-(
    but now I'm back and willing to serve as the Rocky Mountain Curmudgeon, if that's OK with everyone else.

I am particularly glad to see david52 is still prowling around on this blog, and Skybird I also remember your irrationally sunny disposition. So you're a flight attendant? Man, the airline industry has taken its share of hits in this milennium, no?

Canon City is zone 6; our average winter temps are the warmest in Colorado I think, but we have greater extremes than Grand Junction or the lower Four Corners area. The climate is called high elevation desert, with an average of 12" or so of precip. a year.

Zone 6 Tree of the Decade is most definitely the famous Chocolate Mimosa (Albezia julibrisson darkafolia). Got mine for $79.99 locally and it's growing great, very attractive albeit only through one winter thus far. I also finally found a cool bamboo that withstands all the sun and aridity, Phylostachys 'Decora'. It stayed green all winter and put up 7 new shoots this year. Didn't spread though, but I've seen a couple two foot runners along the surface this year so next year I think it's going to spread out some.

So as you might have guessed, I'm a little bit of a zone stretcher, trying to grow some subtropical stuff that will survive here. I've got a number of (arborescent) trunk forming yuccas, and many dead-and-disposed-of plants to show for my efforts thus far.

Lately I am starting a Japanese garden, although I must confess I'm not totally sure what one is yet. But I'm working on some foundation plants for enclosure, and my budget and my back are keeping me from acting too hastily altogether, so it might turn out to be presentable someday.

Stay cool Rocky Mountain gardeners.

Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Araluen, were glad you found your way here to us. Australia to Colorado! What a switch! The gardening you do here is going to be WAY different from the gardening you did therebut youll find lots of friendly people around RMG that are ready, willing, and able to help you. There are lots of things that grow well around here, and once you start figuring out what they are and which ones you like, youll be having lots of gardening fun again. Well be looking for your questions.

And, Vic, I had been intending to say hi to you on one of your other threads, but just never got it done! Sorry bout that! Were all glad to have you here too, and its been great to see you posting on other threads. Hope you decide to keep hanging out here with us.

And, Mary in Idaho, welcome to you tooand its nice to see youve been posting around here, and we hope to see more of you too.

Davies/Shudavies, you just posted while I was writing this! Welcome back! I hope the divorce is working out well for you. Mine, more than 25 years ago, was the best thing I ever did for myself. I dont know if my disposition is irrational or not, but it sure does make life a whole lot niceranduhdid I mention anything yet about my divorce being a really, really, really good thing for me!!!!! :-) Were you a part of that curmudgeon discussion we had a year or so ago? Well, curmudgeons, one and all, are still welcome around here!

Welcome to all who have checked in since I last posted on this thread. Since the posts cant be edited here on GW, I cant add you to this years List, but youre all on MY list! Im gonna link the 08 List below for anyone who might be looking for it.

Happy summer, all,
    Skybird

• drlucas
    15 years ago

WOW, just found this Website, From Northern Colorado here, and am going to try my luck with Blueberries. I am looking forward to any and all GARD-D-ING tips. I also have a wonderful Veggie garden going and and have Help my Church get a community Garden complete with Huge Grape Arbor. I have TONS of Questions so excuse me if I just...........ASK away. hehehehehe drlucas