Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who's here in 2009?

Posted by skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 11, 09 at 22:35

Hello Everyone,

Its that time of year again! This is the annual call for all RMG regulars, visitors and lurkers to enter and sign in!

Let us know where you live and tell us a little about yourself.

If youre a visitor or a lurker, let us know youre here.

If youre a regular, tell us something we dont already know! Alright, with some of you that might be hardbut try!!!

This is a great, fun and friendly community we have hereThe Friendliest Little Gardening Forum in the West! If youve just been lurking, come join us in the fun. And Ive been seeing some new names around here latelyI hope youll all keep posting. Its been uncharacteristically slow around here lately! Both newbie and experienced gardeners, come challenge us with your questions! Lets get some new threads started! Para and peri gardening questions are welcome! Pseudo gardening questions are welcome! And even REAL gardening questions are welcome! Start a general discussion that doesnt even have a question in it! Sometimes theyre the best threads! Just about anything that gets a discussion going among a bunch of fun gardening folks is welcome around here! We really dont worry too much about the formalities, as long as everything is kept friendly!

In the past Ive been keeping and posting a list of everyone who signed in on this thread, but Im just not gonna have time to do that this year. (And Im NOT gonna get sick or injured again this year just so Ill have time to do it! ;-) ) Ill link the 2008 list below, and if anybody ever wants to know where somebody is located, if theyre not on the 08 list, let me know and Ill look it up and let you know. Sometimes its WAY easier to reply to somebody if you know where they live. I will be adding the names to my list that Ive been keeping for 3 years nowbut thats way too long to try to get into a format to post here. If youd like to have your own list to refer too, copy the 08 list and just add the new people that post here this year.

Welcome everyone,
Skybird

The List 2008!

Whos here in 2008?

Whos here in 2007?

Roll Call October 2005

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who's here in 2009?

Yay, I'm ready for this!!

I am here. My name is Jennifer and I live in Nederland at some unknown elevation around 8250 feet.

I have been gardening forever, got the bug from my paternal grandfather and even studied horticulture for a couple years in san fran. I had NO idea how to garden way up here until I joined this forum and asked questions. SO glad I did!!

I am horrible with indoor plants, truly a brown thumb, but have been taking it slowly. I have one Croton?, a few spiders and a gorgeous jade (thanks to Skybird), some pelargoniums--red and salmon, scented geraniums, a Christmas cactus type thing (thanks Skybird) and some other little things. Billie Lady Bug gave me TWO African violets and I've only killed one so far. Good job, me!

Mostly, I do very well with outdoor plants. I started with one flower bed and added a second just in 2008. I have roses, volunteers, daffodils, mums, catnip, campanulas, geraniums, irises and day lilies. there are also lots of tiny sedums around the edges.

Strawberries were already here, along with the daffodils and a giant bright red/orange oriental poppy. I put in tulips in deep black-reds and yellows and some other tiny things I've forgotten about. Gee, let me think...Oh, yeah, tons of crocuses (croci?) and grape hyacinths.

We have three dogs, lots of boulders and rocks, no real lawn and about five species of weeds. I like pulling those.

I love going to the swaps and have made it to three of them. I'll be at the spring and fall swaps this year!! I'm no good for offering to have the swaps at my home because we are such a tiny place with only one incinerating toilet. Works for us but no good for many people. we enjoy being semi off the grid and snuggle in for winter.

I love when lurkers post, it is so nice to read what is going on with others and to see new names and questions.

My recommendation for newer folks/posters is to ask no matter what. I've tried searching the forum for questions already asked and answered and it is a daunting task!! Best to ask anew. We are friendly here and like answering or pointing in the right direction and if the question has been answered, sometimes someone will post a link to the post along with their current answer.

Fun, fun, fun!!!

Thanks all, glad to be here.

j

o

I'm still here. I think the native grasses are finally starting to dominate my lawn and this year I plan to water only as often as the natives need it. Maybe the rest of the lawn will die then and the natives will completely take over. For anybody who is considering replacing a lawn with natives, I would strongly advise you to bite the bullet and kill your existing lawn first rather than do it the way I did and try overseeding an existing lawn. It took much longer and also required more seed to do it the way I did.

o

I'm still here in Casper. Although I just finished reading digit's post about how you weigh less at high altitudes and near the equator and am now considering an extended trip to the Andes.

Meanwhile, I am at home as a caregiver for my Mom. But, this may be the last year for that. When I do work, it's in hospital and healthcare administration.

My hope for this year is to completely redo the back yard. Built this house, gee, six years ago now (time flies) and the first plan didn't work out too well. That's ok, I have new interests now - mainly more raised beds for veggie gardening and at least some little grassy area in case I get a dog.

There are a couple of others from WY on last year's list, but we haven't heard from them in a long time. Usually, I'm the only one up here. So come on WY people, sign up, I know you're out there!

o

A shout out to all my Forum Homies from down here in SW Colorado, where we're not up to much these days except bringing in fire wood and opening the stove and sticking in the firewood and waiting a few hours and then bringing in the firewood and opening the stove and sticking in the firewood and then waiting ...... Some days, when I'm really frisky and in a totally outlandish mood, I empty the ashes and start all over.

But soon is Feb 1st, which is Start Seeds Day, for onion, leeks, shallots, and sun gold tomatoes, which I'm going to try to grow in the greenhouse this year for early farmers market price gouging.

And I'd like to especially thank the fellow forum member who recommended Yak Trax, which are slip on studded snow tires for humans, which have saved me from many a driveway fall this icy January. Good on ya, and hope all is well.

o

Yep, still here! I'm west of Glenwood Springs, in case we have some new person that doesn't know me yet. Sorry, Skybird, there's not much you guys don't already know about me, LOL, so a short recap for the newbies, okay?

Small lot in a small town. A couple of perennial beds, a small veggie garden, and an herb bed. This will be my third year to wintersow. Last year, we added a pergola, which I plan to grow grapevines over, and I also learned to can. I love to trade seeds, so if I'm not around here you can find me on the Round Robin forum, or on the Wintersowing forum.

There are lots of knowledgeable gardeners on this forum, but it can be a bit quiet around here sometimes. Don't be afraid to jump in, we don't bite!

Bonnie

o

I'm here - NW of Denver, in Broomfield. I started with a clay ridden yard 6 years ago. I removed about 6 inches of the clay and replaced it with good stuff. As such, plants whose roots are only 6" deep should be happy...

I, read DH, planted trees and finished the hard scaping. Now we are looking for color. We get CRAZY westerly winds and blazing sun throughout the growing season.

I have had two kids since moving here and they seem to enjoy gardening.

For the past two years I put more effort into my veggies, specifically peppers and tomatoes, using Wall O Waters to achieve an earlier harvest.

I have also searched for low maintenance annuals that self-sow. Since my yard receives the crazy wind gusts, my beautiful annuals send their seeds eastward to the neighbors. This site (Bonnie specifically) opened my eyes to seed saving and trading. Now, in only a few months, I have more seeds then I could ever imagine growing; what a task to attempt!!

Since I have more peppers and tomatoes then can fit in my veggie garden, I'm planning to expand it - and maybe grow some upside down...We'll also try peas, raspberries and strawberries. I'm planning to plant table grapes and apple trees.

This is my first year winter sowing and today, for the first time ever, I experienced dumpster diving for containers.

I also started composting recently and today, also for the first time, collected used coffee grounds (UCG) for the pile. Do my trees need a hugging??

o

Margaret here from south of Hamilton in Montana. Old timer,Master Gardener,Farmers Market vendor where we mainly do tomatoes, beets, peppers, cukes and squash along with a big list of jams, jellies, apple & pear butter which mostly are made from things I grow. We have 5 acres - little less than 4 in pasture and a small orchard. Retired from Extension Office and tired! Trying to recover from a cold. We are at 3,500 ft elevation but our weather closely follows that in Durango where part of my family lives. Not much snow and ice left - melted this week and suppose to be foggy rest of the week! I am thingking on cutting back on varieties of tomatoes this year. Last year I grew 45 varieties in my 2 hoop houses and I have mostly raised beds for veggies this past 2 years.

o

Hi again all. I'm Billie and I am in Yoder CO elevation 5835 ft. We have 40 acres out here in nowhere land. There is no town there is a post office and a cow that I swear never moves.

My garden mostly consists of veggies. Last year we added lilacs, gooseberries, honeysuckle and a dogwood to my yard. I do have a large iris bed that protects the well pit from the neighbors and frost.

This year my plans include finishing the garden fencing and raised beds. Adding the new strawberry bed, asparagus, a peach and two apricots.

We also are going to be working on removing the old trailers that we moved out of three years ago to add a newer modular for my mother to move into.

Happy Gardening and hope to see more people logging in.

Billie

o

Hello everyone:

I'm new to the forum, moved to Colo just over two years ago to be with my dream girl, and am living in the wind of SE Aurora at ~5500 ft in a subdivision lot of ~7980 square feet with a wonderful southern exposure against the house.

I'm a square-foot gardener, use a coldframe, and am trying several different ideas in the coldframe now so I can scale them up later for a small business if all works out. Coldframe now has spinach, lettuce, radishes (they are feeling sad recently), mach.

I used to own a landscaping design and construction business in CA for 13 years, educated in Environmental Horticulture and Urban Ecology, and professionally specialize in Green Infrastructure (doesn't mean I know much, but it gives me a wider array of excuses for why my things died or look bad). I brought many succulents here from WA state, as well as an appreciation for the sun again (as well as a longing for just a little more rainfall). The GF is also a green professional, increasing the tree canopy cover on the Front Range - many of you likely have seen her work & perhaps volunteered for her. In short, a couple of tree freaks ;o) .

Square-foot veggie garden this year will have vertical cukes, melon, squash, tomatoes, peas, beans, and horizontal part will have peppers (hot + sweet), eggplant, soybeans, tomatillos, garlic, onions, corn, okra, radishes, lettuce, broccoli, carrots and whatever a kindergarten princess may wish for. No petrochemicals except when the GF Miracle-Gros without my knowledge. This year I plan on adding a paver path of ~60ft length and a raised bed for raspberries and asparagus.

Rest of the garden is xeric (we do not water in summer, except for what little lawn remains [for the trees]) and I like to pretend it is in constant bloom from April-October - that's what we tell people, anyways - gosh, you should have been here _last_ week! so many flowers! We're waiting to see what the bulbs we planted last fall will do and thinking of taking out a little more lawn in front if the HOA will buy in to my design.

I have done some searches on this forum and read the excellent advice given in the past, and I look forward to reading the advice and comments in the future.

Dan

o

I'm here in Canon City, the Climate Capital of Colorado. I used to post as 'shudavies' I think, but I got divorced in late 2007 and kind of went into seclusion, and I guess my old login identity on this site must have lapsed. But I kept my gardens up anyway, and now I'm back, to provide helpful advice such as I did under the 'Hawk!' posting ;-)

I grow some arborescent (trunked) yuccas and other desert stuff, plus some of the more traditional flowers and ornamental gardening stuff. I only dabble a little in vegetables, which the raccoons seem to appreciate more than anyone. Curse their little bandito faces, and their dexterous paws!

o

Okay, I am here, on the border of Elizabeth and Kiowa. By a thread! We have gone through some tough times and have almost lost our home. Hubby is a contractor (remodel type work) and we had some clients who didn't pay us (huge amounts). But, now he's working full-time for our internet provider and I just got hired by the state, so things are looking up. Hopefully, the gardening will go into full force this late Spring, and I will be able to make it to one of these garden swaps!

Lisa :)

o

I'm in very SW KS. On the OK line and 10 miles from CO. I actually work in SE CO. I'm mainly a veggie gardener. Do grow a few flowers. I'm cutting back on tomatoes this year from over 60 varieties to about 74 plants total or less. I grow both hybrid and op varieties. I grow a lot of peppers. I make hot sauce and salsa and raise about everything I put in it. I enjoy gardening. I have two acres here and my garden is around 90x 60 feet. I also like to try new things and experiment. Last year I tried direct winter sowing tomatoes. I used plastic buckets with plastic on top to create mini greenhouses. It worked well and will try more this year. I usually try something new every year. This year I plan on selling some at a local farmer's market that just started up last year.
I look forward to sharing advice and seeds with members here. JD
This is one of my favorite forums of all I visit. Everyone is so friendly.

o

I'm one of the new ones on this forum. I live in Colorado, about halfway between Denver and Colorado Springs, where the Palmer Divide meets the Rampart Range. We're not all that far from Monument Hill, for those of you who know where that is. Monument Hill and the rest of the Divide is a low east-west trending upland area that separates the Platte River drainage from the Arkansas River drainage. It's infamous for its, umm, interesting weather, especially in winter. We're further west and higher in elevation, though.

I used to live in the Pacific Northwest, had a big garden of heirlooms and PNW-adapted plants, did the master gardener thing, swapped seeds and fruit tree scions and cuttings, and all that. Our current place is more challenging, thanks to the vicious and ever-present rodents, rabbits, and other small herbivores. They're worse than deer (which we also contend with)! Our area is forested and we have decomposed granite gravel as our soil. We're also fairly high in elevation (over 8000'), plus we have the interesting Palmer Divide weather to contend with. Oh, yeah, and we're on a ridge without many flat spots.

I don't want you to think that it's all negative. We do like it here in spite of the gardening challenges. We are delighted not to have to mow grass. We are not fans of lawns or juniper bushes, especially pfizers. We also no longer have to deal with rampant Scotch Broom or blackberry brambles or poison oak thickets.

Anyway, we've gotten into houseplants and very sturdy outdoor plants. We're in the beginning stages of gathering plants and figuring out our new gardening style. We dream about a greenhouse one of these years, though we'll see if that ever happens.

Skybird graciously shared some plants and cuttings with me this fall, which is how I found out about this place. I look forward to getting to know everyone better through this forum, and perhaps meeting some of you in person at some of the swaps.

o

I'm from Limon. Grew up here, came back after a decade in Denver. Think this will be my last year here if all works out right.

I love my maters, learned that from my Dad. They are my ongoing living tribute to his memory. Love my xeric plants and my wheatgrass lawn. What I've probably never mentioned is that all my mums, yarrow and dwarf iris are red and yellow for my alma mater's - DU - colors. :)

o

I live in Arvada, and am VERY new to the whole gardening thing. I started a square-foot garden last fall, and have since adopted several houseplants to hold me over till spring, and am even growing a hanging (upside down) pea plant in my window. I would love to attend local seed and/or plant swaps, although I dont yet have much to offer.

o

polygonum,

I used to live/work in Castle Rock and loved to ride my bike down to your beautiful neck of the woods. I also used to live in Enumclaw where the black dirt would stain my hands for days and make my much-missed raspberries and veggies explode out of the ground. You'll enjoy the seemingly constant sunshine here and your SAD will be a distant memory.

Dan

o

I guess I am still here.One of the originals from the beginning(jwj)not just rocky mountain but also gardenweb itself...Glad 08 is over its been one of the worse years of my life.........
Bit about me,, hmmm from the gardener point,Native montana gal,,,Living south of Kalispell,Mt,,Micro zones ranging from 3 to an 7,,my gardening back ground,,hmm been at it since grannies garden,,Mom, artist ,master gardener, garden designer and landscaping custom cottage gardens intermixed with native plants,used to live on 7.5 acres that contained organic gardens(vege,flowers,natives),orchard and greenhouse.
Now days,Mom, artist,green home construction, custom garden design(green roof ,watergardens,custom cottage gardens etc)
At our home the no lawn all pretties,,including the roof.This year we finnally start trying to get in a vege garden(other then the beds on the roof)We will be building a couple of trial raised beds to extend the season as well as wheelchair accessible for the grandson.Other experiments for the year in the vege garden will be the straw bale and bag plantings.
We have had a couple of Robins hanging out the last couple of weeks ,, so guess its spring,,uh huh,,we still have a couple inches of snow melting down and like Margret,, lots of fog....
Mary

o

• Posted by glok z 4/5 CO (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 18, 09 at 11:02

Count me in!!! I am really really here! Finally... the dh retired after his 30 yr military career. The only plants I got to bring from MD. to Woodland Park, CO were my hens and chick pot and my wooly thyme pot so hopefully I'll have a start to my rock garden! Most of the rest of my plants went to the new Chapel on Ft. Meade so they should be in good hands! In the meantime, I've started some of my winter sowing for the things that really need cold stratification!
I never thought I would like gardening when I was a kid since we had to do all the yard work in a huge garden that we never got credit for! But after a couple of apartments with no yards or gardens, and the bug bit me right in the butt!
Up til now, I've mostly planted flowers for the birds and butterflies(except for my tomatoes), but have picked up quite a few weggie seeds this year. Am hoping to find a place to buy some straw to start a big cold frame salad bowl soon! I do have a small...4x6 GH that was with the house and hope to figure out the best way to utilize it too!
From the looks of my yard, I need to get some good top soil and lots of manure before I even begin to start!
Anyway, HEY y'all! Great to be here!!

glo

o

"I'll have a start to my rock garden! "

Do you use pea gravel for seeds? :)

o

Pea gravel is very slow to grow. If possible you want to transplant some rocks that already have some good size to them ;-)

o

• Posted by skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 20, 09 at 13:15

But you don't want all BIG plants! I think you should start some sand too! And then maybe add a few GREEN plants after the rocks get started!

;-)
SKybird

o

I believe there are more than a few of us that would be happy to share rock starts if anyone wants some at the spring swap. Sorry, but not mailing, postage would kill you.

Billie

o

I'm here! Although I haven't been much. Lot's of other stuff going on. And I have about a bazillion garden catalogs to read through. I thought I would put in a couple of requests for some that I had heard mentioned here, and must have got on some mailing list because my stack is about a foot high!

About myself... I do veggies and flowers. This fall I put in a new flower bed along the south facing front sidewalk. Planted a bunch of xeric things and ordered a couple of roses to be planted this spring. Now the challenge will be to keep the bindweed from taking over.

For veggies I want to extend my season and do a hoop cover thing (good description, eh?). I certainly had some luck with just a row cover over stuff this fall. At one point I was knocking snow off the cover to harvest the last of the Swiss Chard.

My biggest yard challenge this year will be deciding what to do with the increasingly bare spot of lawn out back caused by the addition of another dog to the family. Reseed and cordon off - and do a better job of fertilizing this year? Or give up and put down gravel or pavers? Dirt just isn't an option. Not that I'm worried about how it looks - I just don't want all that mud tracked in this spring.

Alice
Fort Collins, CO

o

I've been in Colorado for a year now (in Falcon, 7000', near Colorado Springs). I planted a raised bed vegetable garden last spring, and was so happy with it, I more than doubled the bed space for next year. I'm also planning a flower garden to replace some of the lawn in the front yard, and I need to get SOMETHING growing in my rather bare backyard. I've just started my first attempt at wintersowing and I'm hoping like heck that it works!!

RMG is my favorite forum on GW. I usually ask my questions here first because I know I won't get a mean answer here!

o

I pop in and out on this forum and have met just a few of you in person. Spring Swap should be a BIGGIE this year, eh?

Regarding that rock garden - I can get you some awesome "ginormous" river rocks from along the Blue River in Summit County. They are already full grown and need no attention at all to be happy! :P

We live in Frederick, just north of Denver. We have 3 raised beds for veggies and another whole area for tomatoes. This year's project: redo the foundation planting in the front yard and see if we can further shrink the lawn. Maybe I can consult with a couple of you on this project?

Anyway, I have tomato seeds to give away or swap if anyone is in need. Also, will have BEAUCOUP beautiful irises (purchased from Willow Bend Farm near Grand Jct.) later in the summer/Fall Swap. Plan now...

Happy Gardening! - Carol/aka Irisgirl

o

I think I dropped off last November when my job search was unexpectedly successful. I'm going to start trying to pop in again since the holidays are over.

I live in Fort Collins, although I've yet to meet Alice and see what she's doing with her garden. Two years ago I moved to Colorado and bought a house with a fair amount of existing landscaping. I tried some veggies last year and enjoyed it a lot. This year I'll try some more, and I'm hoping to plant sunflowers all along the back fence.

The new job involves traveling a lot, and I've got a two-year-old to keep me busy when I'm home, so I don't know how far I'll get with my plans, but I like to look at the yard, look at catalogs and dream...

o

I live in Centennial, but if any of you know the boundaries of Centennial, you know that it reaches west to east. I live in the area nearer to southeastern Aurora. I read this forum faithfully and pop in with a question now and again. Always friendly advice! I've been to a couple of swaps and have really enjoyed them.

I garden mostly perennials. A few years ago we removed a huge amount of sod to make perennial beds. I've been trying to fill them the economical way (growing and dividing) and it's taking a long time. Plant swaps have helped to get a new variety of plants and this year I will try to start plants from seed.

Last year was the first time I grew more than one plant of tomatoes. I used Earth Boxes that I was fortunate enough to buy at a yard sale for next to nothing. It was so successful that I'll be doing it again this year.

Keep up the friendly, informative chatter. There are some of us who may not speak up very often, but we're learning a lot!

Irisgirl, I hope you'll post pictures of your iris beds in full bloom this year. I have a weakness for iris too.

Connie

o

hello all. i visit this forum regularly. i live in fort collins, colorado. i am an avid gardener, and my house and it's garden were organic for 11 years (says the old homeonwer), and we have continues this for the past 5 years. i enjoy reading all the threads, and i also visit the organinic gardening forum, the growing from seed, tomatoes, greenhouse (i have a little 6x12 for tinkering around), i practice with varying degrees of success plant propagation, hummingbird gardening, xericscaping, and reusing reclaimed materials whenever i can. i have already started many of this years seeds, as i often get a few bucks for my extras at work. i enjoy growing heirloom varieties of all my fruits and veggies, and spending rainy days pulling bindweed! i keep my bicycles in the garage, the car on the street, and plants everywhere. i grew up up the road from rodale farms, but never appreciated that until i moved away! i am lucky to have great nurseries here in fort collins, and great knowledgable staff to help me! i like to take advantage of the free workshops, and my next step is the CSU master gardener course. if anyone has been through a master gardeners course, i would love to hear any comments or advice!
happy gardening! jared

o

Newbie here: I live in the mountains north of Albuquerque, altitude 6,000ft. We have just about 3 acres of land, most natural, undeveloped high desert with nature paths throughout. I have a long terraced garden off my front portal (covered porch) that has to be fairly rabbit-resistant. A smaller one, also "available" to rabbits out back, across the back of the house. The third garden is walled in with raised adobe beds and three shade trees, where I can (thankfully!!) grow non-RR flowers.
We're hoping to have a 5ft high wall built around some of the backyard area this Spring, if the economy ever stops spiraling downwards, so that we can keep the rabbits and coyotes out and add some flowers and shade.
I'm looking forward to comparing notes with you all. It will be a huge relief to talk to fellow gardeners who know and understand my climate and planting conditions.
Lynn
Here's a recent pic taken fron my back portal. My little Tibetan Spaniel is sitting on the table there, BTW.
Photobucket
And one of my walled garden/refuge:
Photobucket

o

I'm here. I'm usually just a lurker but will sometimes chime in if something gets my attention. I am a native of CO, I live in Firestone, about half way between Denver and Ft Collins, but have lived up and down the Front Range and into the mountains as well.

I grow mostly peppers, but have been known to grow a tomato or two, and kind of hang out in the tomato board. I manage and host a web site for some tomato freaks, and warn jaliranchr when bad weather is headed her way :)

I also have a small greenhouse that I use for hydroponics (yes, tomatoes and peppers), and for getting an early start on the season. I hope 2009 season will be better than 2008!

--->Rob

o

Hi all! I too am a newbie and am thrilled to have discovered this wonderfully helpful and knowledgeable group of people.

I just moved to Colorado Springs (Patty Jewett area) from Florida where I was not a very successful gardener. Always started too late and once the heat and humidity kicked in I was over it all.....

I am very excited to start winter sowing. What a brilliant idea! Gonna put in some raised beds for veggies. Maybe some flowers. We're renting till our house in Florida sells (read next year or so) so I don't want to get too carried away.

Thanks to everyone for making us newbies feel welcome and for insisting that no question is too silly or getting nasty when we ask a question that's probably been asked and answered numerous times before.

Happy growing everyone and here's to a great 2009!

Cynthia

o

Lynne in NM:

Are those strawbale walls covered in stucco in the bottom picture? If so, what kind of stucco? Do you have weep holes? Well done yard, BTW.

Dan

o

• Posted by jnfr z5b CO (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 1, 09 at 13:04

I'm here again. We live in Westminster, just east of Standley Lake, with all the crazy winds and burning sun that austinnhanasmom mentioned in Broomfield. We have about a quarter-acre, but not clay soils like many around here have, so it's not too bad for gardening. I've been down here for a decade, and lived in Coal Creek Canyon before that.

o

Hey, I'm around, although I haven't checked in much this winter. I'm FINALLY in the last stages of finishing my basement, which kept me from doing much new in my garden last year and has kept me from doing much online garden-talk this winter. All I have left is baseboards, caulking the trim, some window sills, and then we're ready to paint and buy carpet! Oh yeah, we have to install all the switches and outlets, too. But the hard stuff is mostly done! Yeah!!!

I'm really looking forward to having that project done and getting serious about some new gardening things this year. I'll be using my greenhouse for the first time this year (I bought it too late last spring). I will be tilling up a flowerbed on the south side of my house that has gotten weedy and turning it into more veggie space (I'm actually starting to like veggie gardening! It used to just be all about flowers.).

I'm in the middle of doing my volunteer work to earn my master gardener certification this year (I took the class this past fall). It's going to be a GREAT gardening year!

o

I'm mostly a lurker. I live in Denver in City Park North. The part of my place that is done is xeric perennials.

Austinnhanasmom in Broomfield, who dug out six inches of clay - you are welcome to come to work at my place!

o

• Posted by sister_k Zone 5 Lafayette, CO (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 4, 09 at 0:28

Hello! Well, I am new to the forum and though I've lived in Colorado for 9 years, I have only a few months of gardening under my belt -- just since I bought a condo in Lafayette at the end of May. I don't have any yard, but I have a huge balcony so I have found a new hobby/passion with container gardening! I started with a few herbs (basil, rosemary) and then went a little nuts buying every herb I could get my hands on even though it was so late in the season! I love to cook, and love nothing more than all those fresh herbs for my meals, especially on the grill.

Anyway, I have tried to overwinter a few of them inside, some have clearly not made it, and some I am still hoping will survive into the spring & summer but I just don't get a lot of light inside during the winter.

However, as of the fall, I have planted literally hundreds of bulbs in containers as I got a little carried away. I have no idea if they will survive, what with the temperature changes, but I've been experimenting with starting them in the garage, and then shifting them outside on the balcony, where I've mostly been able to keep them in the shade and protected from the elements, so fingers crossed, I'll have some good results. I have been learning so much by reading on these forums (after the growing season, of course, but better late than never) and I am SO excited for this coming spring & summer.

I am curious and would love it if any of you will list your favorite nursery/garden centers around Lafayette, Broomfield, Boulder, Westminster and/or Longmont areas? I am in Lafayette, but close to all those places and willing to travel for great plants & helpful people.

I'm really excited to try to grow some climbing vines this summer --probably a clematis and hopefully some honeysuckle, along with my herbs and some great flowers with bulbs and some other things along the way.

Okay, I'm sure this is more than anyone wanted to hear -- thanks in advance for everyone being so willing to share information and experience & I look forward to being on the forum. -- Kristin

o

I'd better get on this list somewhere, sometime.

The "where" is farther to the north than many. With a small backyard greenhouse and gardens in 3 locations, my gardening is on both sides of the ID/WA border. Global Positioning System satellites place me at Hauser Lake in northern Idaho for reference.

I'm happy to see a gardener (and lovely pictures) from New Mexico. Bracketing east to west seems somewhat complete on the forum but, I suppose, with a Cordillera stretching through 2 hemispheres . . . well, that's nearly limitless possibilities, north to south.

I was just reading about the old notion and rule of thumb known as the Bioclimatic Law. It has been mostly discounted but amounts to the idea that (other conditions being equal) each degree of latitude = 400 feet in elevation. Of course, the other conditions are never equal. My very low (relatively) elevation of just over 2,000 feet would place my gardening environment at about 7,000 feet in the Albuquerque neighborhood.

Steve's digits

o

Hi Everyone,

You guys are Great! Everybodys telling us something about themselves this year. Its really fun to read all the posts and find out something about our Partners in Crime around here.

If my count is right, weve had 24 "old folks" and 8 newbies check in so far. As of now the newbies are:

austinnhanasmom...........Broomfield
dan staley........................SE Aurora
ryansr..............................Arvada
polygonum tinctorium....Near Monument Hill
jah742foco co................Ft. Collins
sister k............................Lafayette
organicallygrown............COS - Patty Jewett area
lynninnewmexico............North of Albuquerque

Welcome to each of you!

Mom, youve got the bug! Gardening here in Colorado isnt easy, but it can definitely be done! If youve been doing it for a couple years now, youre probably getting your bearings, but let us know when we can help! Andyour trees DEFINITELY need a good hug!

Dan, sounds like you and your GF are already hugging your trees! ;-) And I guess youre not gonna need a whole lot of general gardening help, but let us know when we can help with high, dry gardening info! Quite a change from Washington state! I think your succulents may like their new home here as much as you do!

Ryan, keep an eye out for a thread about the Spring Swap. The way we run them, you dont need to have anything to bring in order to come. We always have WAY lots of plants for everybody!

Poly, Im glad to see youre continuing to hang out around here. I hope youre able to make it to some of the swaps tooand I hope your houseplants are doing well for you.

Jah/Jared, if youre starting seeds already, you MUST wind up with plants everywhere by the time youre able to put them out! You might want to start a separate thread to get comments about the MG program. More people will see it if you do it that way.

Sister K, Ohhh, youre WAY hooked too! There are some other folks around here who do container gardening, so Im sure youll be able to get help if you need it. The only garden center I know of up that way is Harlequins Gardens in Boulder. Ive never been there myself, but Ive heard good things about it! Heres a cut & paste link: http://www.harlequinsgardens.com/ Maybe somebody else will be along with other recommendations for places north of the Metro Denver area.

OG, welcome to Colorful Colorado! Boy, what a switch from Humid Florida! Im not a big fan of humidity, myself! Grew up in Illinoisand dont plan to EVER move back there! Andabsolutelyno question is silly! As Ive said other times around here, the only stupid question around here is the one you dont ask! Youre gonna be in for a whole new dry-climate-gardening learning experience, so let us know when we can help.

Lynn, its nice to have a New Mexico person around here. From your pics it looks like you have very similar conditions to some of the others who post hereincluding, unfortunately, the critters that seem to like gardens as much as we do! Good luck with the rabbits, and take care of that wonderful little "domestic critter" youve got there!

Ive been seeing some other new names around here that havent checked in here yet. I hope youll decide to come "officially" sign in here on our annual Roll Call thread. And there are still lots of regulars that havent checked in yet. Last year we got up to 90 on the Whos Here thread. Were only up to 32 so far this year!

Thank you all for being here! When I get back from a trip and Im so tired I can hardly sit up, its always nice to check in here and read all the things that have been posted since I lefton all the threads. It usually perks me up, and often gives me a good laugh too!

Im really glad youre all here,
Skybird

o

"OG, welcome to Colorful Colorado!"

Skybird,
On our way home from visiting DH's family in Kansas at Christmas, I had to chuckle when I saw the "Welcome to Colorful Colorado" sign on I-70....on the Colorado/Kansas border...

o

These are "official" so it's not like I made them up or anything.

As a person trained as an anthropologist, I have been made aware, fairly strongly, of the rocky shoals awaiting any discussions of a homeland or a people. I hope this isn't drifting into shallow water.

But, I thought it might be FUN!!...?

wElCoMe To IdAhO, DISCOVER IDAHO!!...?
Here's something to discover about Idaho: the name was fabricated by a mining lobbiest - in Colorado!

wElCoMe To MoNtAnA, BIG SKY COUNTRY!!...?
The only "state" in the union made up entirely of . . . AIR!

wElCoMe To WyOmInG, LIKE NO PLACE ON EARTH!!...?
I understand that this was recently retired but then no slogan replaced it on road signs so, nya nya boo boo (from back here on earth)!

wElCoMe To UtAh, LIFE ELEVATED!!
I couldn't really believe this but, here's the link: Deseret News! (click "2 pictures")

wElCoMe To NeW mExIcO, EVERYBODY IS SOMEBODY IN NEW MEXICO!!..?
So, all you nobodies . . .

(Yes, I really do have a mean streak ~ digitS ;o)

o
a day without sunshine is like . . . Seattle.

I want to provide as much opportunity as possible so here we have Washington.

On this eastern border we have a LOT of open space so:

wElCoMe To WaShInGtOn, BYE AND BYE!!...

Okay, that's the state's motto ~ of all things! Truth be known, I've never seen it on a road sign. (Still . . . ;o)

As you drive into the state, you are immediately faced with the Great Washington State Desert. This is a little perplexing to those who know that the REAL welcome sign claims it is the "Evergreen State!"

Woody Guthrie wrote a song in 1941 that all Washingtonians know and love, "Roll on Columbia, Roll On." This is why Washington has over 1,000 dams.

As you begin to sink farther and farther into the barren landscape, you may come to one of these dams with the interesting name of Ice Harbor Dam. It is noteworthy as the site of WA States Record High Temperature: 118 blistering degrees set in August of 1961.

If you make it across the divide . . . well, you are in another geographical area, entirely. Folks over there only have a dim idea of what is east of the Cascades.

digitS

o

Amester reporting in - this warm weather, coupled with the arrival of my David Austin catalog, is kicking my dirt jones into high gear!!
I envy you your crocus, Skybird - Mason's favorite book these days is Old Bear, who is hibernating and dreams that it's spring and he's a cub taking a nap curled up in a big, pink crocus. So now whenever we tell Mason it's nap time he asks if he can sleep in a pink crocus! Guess what I'll be planting next fall...?
Something you don't already know...hm...I majored in French and Theater in college. That's why I work in IT. (Ha ha.)
Nice to see everyone!

o

I mostly lurk and learn here. I'm a Centennialite (?), close to University and C470. I have xeriscaped my front yard and parts of the backyard, so that's mostly what I doperennials, ornamental grasses, some native bushes, etc. Lauren Springer Ogden and High Country Gardens are my guideposts, so I buy lots of stuff from Timberline Gardens because of their connection to HCG.
When the kids were little, we did the little kid garden plants, but I haven't done any since. I'm trying to resist the lure of tomatoes, but may give in and try some after reading so much about them here. The thought of actually tasting a real tomato is so tempting. Cardboard has never been my taste of choice!
Jean

o

Yes, Im still here. Working on soil improvement and bringing in tons of mulch for lanscaping. Reviewing seed catalogs. Cant wait for spring.

Gloria

o

Hi All-- I have been a sporadic poster and have gotten really helpful answers here. I am in central Colo Springs on a city lot so not too big or small and mostly dug up after 9 years. I can mow with a push mower now. I am not expanding my gardens because I hope to move to IL at some point when the market turns around (notice I said when). This is only to be near family, not because I have anything against C/S. This year I am concentrating on heirloom tomatoes, short season only. I will probably throw in some peppers and yellow beans and greens but no other vegies. Most of my flowers are perennials now. I have a dwarf Gala apple, a clingstone peach that I got from an old guy at a yard sale (put out a lot of peaches on it's 3rd year), strawberries, raspberries and asparagus. I wanted to add more fruits but won't at this point. I'll save that for IL. I will truly miss the sun. But, I may be here for longer than I anticipated anyway!

My gardening experience comes from growing up on a farm in northern IL and from 12 years in MN. CO is very different!

Happy to meet all of you!
Terry

o

I haven't checked in yet, dang my hide!

I'm in Westminster CO. Just off I-25 and Huron.

Had a HUGE garden for the last several years, but alas, not this year. I'll be takeing my first crack at container gardening this spring. I still have a ton of Sugar Anne snap pea seeds if anyone wants to swap for something that will work better in little pots on a balcony.

Robert

o

I'm in Manitou Springs, outside of Colorado springs. At 6800'. I have almost an acre of land. I have to deal with deer, rabbits, bear, pocket gophers, wood peckers...and weeds!!!! I have a large terra cotta deck garden. A few (9) fruit trees and a sprinkler system for everything!
Jackmani clematis & Dr Huey rose

o

Hi everyone, I've been on this board for a few years and absolutely love this forum. I haven't posted to many times but do visit it most everyday. I'm in Longmont, CO. This is my first year with a greehouse (not heated.) I started a ton of seedlings in January over 120+ plants. Everyday I move them from the house to the greenhouse and back at night. My neighbors think I'm crazy as they watch me move the plants back and forth (maybe they think it's work - I don't see it that way.) Anyhoo, hoping you all have a fabulous weekend. I'm gonna go play in the dirt now.
XOXOXO,
Jilly Billy

o

Ian checking in here, way too late. This is my second season as a homeowner here in Boulder; last year was spent ripping out a bunch of dying aspens and putting in a small garden and a bunch of fruit trees, some on an espalier. This year I'll slightly raise and level out the first bed, and put in a second. Plantings will be more tomatoes, more peppers, fewer melons; I'll put in bok choi again, and try broccoli rabb, and hope that I can keep the flea beetles at bay.

The melons I tried, by the way, were Noir de Carmes, Early Hanover, and Prescott Fond Blanc. NdC and EH were both good; PFB barely ripened in time and tasted more like a sweet squash with a one-note scent reminiscent of organic chem lab (amyl acetate?). This year I'll try petit gris de rennes, and next year charentais. I'll think I'll just do one at a time from now on, since the melons all came in at once last year; a season of careful tending and worry, followed by two weeks of gluttony.

Ian

o

Hi all,

Thought I'd check in. It's been a while since I've posted but I do check in to see what everyone's up to occasionally. Great group of folks on this board who know a lot and are willing to share the knowledge.

I'm in Castle Rock on about 2 1/2 acres. I've mostly spent my time on my 2400 sq foot vegetable garden but last year finally planted out some perennials from the fall and spring swap (some that were in a "holding" garden for over a year!) and am getting more excited for flower gardening. This after removing 30 year old junipers around the entire perimeter of the house. I will do mostly xeriscaping. We also got a coop and will finally get some chicks this spring.

I've hosted the spring swap for the past two years and would be happy to host again this year if ya'll want me to.

Nice to see some familiar and new "faces" :)

Charlene

o

Mon, Feb 23, 09 at 21:05

Since I posted last time, 7 oldies have checked inthank you for letting us know youre still around and for telling us something about yourselves. And there were 2 new people who werent on The List last year.

terryincs..........Central COS
jillybillyg.........Longmont

I know youve been around here for quite a while, Terry, and thanks for checking in. I wouldnt be happy moving back to Illinois, but I hope it works out well for you when it happens. At least you wont have to worry about the xeriocity (most of you know I LOVE to make up new words!) of your perennials anymore when you get back there, so itll give you a chance to play with some new things you probably havent even thought about for years!

Jilly, thanks for checking in. I always wonder how many lurkers there are around here (and I know a lot of other people wonder too), and its really nice when somebody whos been lurking decides to come post with us.

Meteor, consider coming to the Spring Swap. There are always people with veggie starts, and maybe you could find a couple tomatoes (or other things) that would work for your current circumstances. Also, I just looked thru all my seeds, and if youre interested in driving over here some day to pick them up, I have a pack of Bush Big Boy Hybrid tomatoes you can have. Theyre described on the pack as "big flavor, bush habit!" Its the only one I have that sounds compact at alland theyre old! Seed from 99 (I used to pick up LOTS of free seeds at Paulinos at the end of the season when they put them in the lunchroom free-for-all style at the end of each season!), but Ive been using older seed than that for my SunGolds for the last few years, and they seem to work just fine! But they are determinates, described: "produce a heavy crop of big, 10-11 oz. bright red, globe shaped fruits with exceptional flavor." If youre interested, I also have 3 kinds of cukes that are described as "compact" or "space saving." Also old, and also free if you want to drive over here! Email or PM if youre interested.

Charlene, its great to see you around here! I was thinking of starting a Spring Swap thread, and was gonna email to let you knowand was kinda hoping you might want to have it again!!! Id love to come down and see what youve had going on down there since last yearand I think others would enjoy coming back again too! Why dont you start a swap thread? Ill help answer questions for people on the thread when you dont have time, and I can copy all the basic "swap info" onto this year's thread once you get it started.

There are still LOTS of regulars who havent checked in yet, and several new people that have been posting around here that havent given us the scoop about themselves on this thread yet Come let us know youre here and tell us your story. And for the rest of you LURKERS that are around here, come let us know youre here and tell us a little bit about yourselveseven if you dont plan to post regularly. Wed love to know youre around!

Daylight Saving Time starts again in TWO WEEKS! March 8! It MUST be time to start gardening again!

Skybird

o

Hey Skybird, maybe it's xericness?

: ) Bonnie

o

Mon, Feb 23, 09 at 22:32

Hehehe! Or maybe it's xerox plants--or xeroscape plants -- like customers used to ask for all the time at Paulino's! Hmmm! Wonder if you CAN Xerox plants! Sure would be a quick, easy way to propogate them! Think they'd grow???

;-)
Skybird

o

Zeroscape might be my favorite term. At least people are thinking about it. Speaking of that, I had to drag the hose around the yard yesterday - even the mounds were dryish. At least the robins were happy.

Dan

o

I'm a lurker, but I've learned a lot here over the year or so I've been reading. I'm only at 1500 ft in the Cascades, but when I discovered that all my wildflowers were the same as the ones in the BC rockies, I finally accepted my fate. The cold gorge winds and my elevation put me about 6 weeks behind my closest neighbors, down the hill, every spring. I visit the local nurseries and look at the bedding plants with longing, knowing that if I buy them, they'll freeze to death before they settle in.

On the other hand, I have a view to die for!

o

agertz, you can make us all jealous by telling us all about how many blueberries and other berries you have, with zero effort. When I lived in Enumclaw my berries exploded out of the ground with zero effort on my part, except cutting canes.

Dan

o

Hi everyone, I'm a regular here for the last couple years, previous lurker. I've been gardening for 8 years in the ground and in containers before that. I live in Littleton on an average sized suburban plot. My dream is to have a bit of land with some chickens running around someday. I plant a little bit of everything; annuals, perennials, vegetables and herbs. This year I hope to focus on picking plants better suited to my gardening environment. I'm inspired by the steppe gardens featured in the latest book by Lauren Springer Ogden (and her hubby) Plant-driven design :creating gardens that honor plants, place, and spirit. Has anyone read it yet?
Something you dont already know... my older brother is named Jack and my name is Jill. Ha ha, arent my parents funny?

o

Wed, Feb 25, 09 at 22:08

LOL! Well now I know what was wrong with you last year, Jill! You "went tumbling after!"

Thanks for checking in here,
Skbyird

o

Good to hear from you Jill! I can't believe your parents did that; they are funny! I just ordered that same book yesterday. Can't wait til it gets here! I hope to see you at the spring swap. We live so close we should get together and sow together!

o

Hello everyone. I just found this forum & so glad I did. I live in Boulder, CO and have just started gardening again the last few years, so am definately a newbie. I moved here from NJ back in 94, but spent most of those years traveling for work, so never had my own garden. I live & work in the same city now, so have been creating my garden from scratch & absolutely love it. I don't know how I went so long without a yard & flowers!!!

I've been here 2 years now & have been learning through trial & error. I just discovered winter sowing so have given that a try this year and am starting lots & lots of seeds indoors. I even built a light setup to help my babies along...another thing I learned this year. Wish me luck!!! I'm sure I will have lots of questions along the way. It's nice to know there is a friendly group of experienced gardeners in my area!

o

Hello, I used to post here eons ago but not much. I still have read here often to see what's up. Forgive me for barging in on the tomato and wintersowing threads. I meant to post on this one but kept waiting till I had time to read through this whole thread, which I just enjoyed very much.

I'm in Salt Lake county at about 4800 ft elevation. I like to read about landscape design, trying to correct what I did with just plopping in plants over the years. I'm more new at veggie gardening, have grown some tomatoes successfully. Last year the kids really liked the lettuce I planted, so I've already got my new seeds for this year.

Lots of native and xerox plants around the yard. Ripped out the park strip, and xerified :). Kept the sprinklers to get them established, but DH will cut off the water to it this year. I have another area without irrigation that is coming along well. Now I would like to rip out the little left of the front lawn and replace with creeping thyme, or turkish veronica, or blue grama ... still mulling that over. Eventually want to turn off all irrigation in front except for retrofitting for drip just to the roses.

Lynn in NM and Nicole, the pictures of your gardens are beautiful, both good examples of the diversity here in the west.

Have to laugh at those state mottos Digit. Yeah, Life Elevated is pretty funny, but I think it's better than our old one - Utah, a Pretty Great State. Hee hee, it's great, but not that great.

o

It is wonderful to see notes from old friends and new!

I appreciate seeing someone farther out on the fringe of the populated central Rockies than I am - there in the Cascades. We had a discussion about what this RMG area really amounts to back '06. (Skybird referred somewhere to it being a "longwinded" discussion and she should know, spending as much time as she does in the air. ;o) My contention was that the RMG area is exemplified by the Arrowleaf Balsamroot rather than whatever that graphic thingy is at the top of the forum page . . . ? Of course, that contention is still very much up for debate.

Elevated? When I fantasize about another place - often my thoughts turn to the grand vistas of Utah. Pretty? Oh, you bet!

And speaking of "in the air" - I hope that Spring is in the air for many of us and that our garden plans and plants are taking firm root for 2009.

Steve's digits
(& all the rest of him)

Here is a link that might be useful: The Grand View

o

Good thing I'm not writing state mottos. Just to clarify, I meant to say "pretty great" seemed to me more of a half-hearted endorsement for a motto and struck me as funny. Absolutely pretty! I love the diverse beauty of my home state and would be hard pressed to ever move away from these mountains.

Azura and Charlene, I have read Plant Driven Design and it is a wonderful book. Perhaps we need a thread on favorite garden books, but I'm off to bed now.

Barb

o

I'm kind of a "spring poster" - lurk and post more in the spring, then get too busy to post much as the summer activities take over. But it's nearly spring (close enough), and here I am again, getting ready to start my seeds and clean out the greenhouse.

Not nearly as close to the mountains as some of you, but this is the closest I get to my "region" as far as forums go. I'm in Billings, MT, and last year was my first year starting seeds, and also my first year with our greenhouse. I'm hooked! :-)

Jamie

o

Hi, Jamie! Nice to hear from you again! How's that River of Thyme coming along? I'd love to see photos of your progress on the projects you were working on last year.

Bonnie

o

Not much of a poster, but like to look in here now and then. Live in Kersey after a life time farming in NE Co. My thing now is tomatoes in a small patch. Got a couple growing in the bay window under lights. My first matina is inch and a half and still growing, can't wait to eat it. Have a red and blue LED light in the bay window for the tomatoes. Got raided by the drug task force last week who saw the light and checked up on me. Did I say I am 79 years old? Made my day.
Skybird, If you ever fly with a pilot name Greg Lair, tell him you know Kenny

o

Kenny,
That is TOO funny!

o

Hi Bonnie - good to "see" you too! :-) The "River of Thyme" is off to a good start, no thanks to my seed starting abilities. Unfortunately, my flats of thyme weren't well cared for (ahem), but my mother-in-law took matters into her own hands, and bought us a couple of flats of thyme to plug into the river. I'll have to see if I have some pictures from the end of last summer...it was starting to spread quite nicely by the time the snow came...

I can't remember what pictures I posted last year, but I'll dig them up and post some. The garden turned out far better than I could have ever hoped for...our neighbor was just amazed that all those bare-root roses I planted last spring grew and bloomed so well. :-)

Now I need to go back and see what everyone *else* did last summer/fall, after I got busy last year. I can't wait to see what everyone is doing this year!

o

Hello all --

I've been hibernating up here in wind-blown Fort Collins; thought I'd peek in just say that I'm looking forward to sharing my second year of gardening with everyone. :)

o

Newbie here in Lafayette, CO. I've been in CO since '69 (I was 5) and I have little gardening experience. My first was from my 1st house here in Laf where I purchased a pre-planned shade garden from Spring Hill for the front of the house. Several plants survived and it pretty much took care of itself. I weeded a couple times a year. Then my husband swapped some electrical work for a master gardener's expertise and we added an 8' wide X 55' long (plus half the length of the side fences) garden in our back yard w/ lots of flowers. It did not take care of itself. I suffer from lots of weeds and an inability to tolerate working in the heat. But I REALLY want to garden. Are there any others like me out here?

Now we're in our second home (for 5 years) and I decided to remove the grass -- 4' by the length of the backyard AGAIN! But only 4' this time. I did learn one thing! I planted another pre-planned garden, this time the Xeric Aroma Garden from HCG in hopes of saving some water. OK now I'm suffering from that weed thing again. We have a couple of very pretty crab apple trees that we planted 2 yrs ago, and a little maple I got for 10 bucks (was supposed to be $100 but was mislabled - had to buy it!). I put in 3 walls (9 bushes) of common lilac for privacy. I've replaced at least 7 of them, and they are still tiny! I'd heard you can't kill those, but if you need to get rid of one, call me!

Our yard had some empty beds that I filled: one along the deck with Potentilla (sorry about the spelling if it's wrong), a small rose garden and several Columbines.; we put a butterfly bush in the back corner with Oriental Poppies, Autumn Sedum and 4 pink Peonies! The peonies are beautiful in the Spring but they grow so tall even the 3 foot fence I put up in front and behind them doesn't hold them up. Plus the usual Spring bulbs - gotta have that early season color.

On the other side we dug a flat area out of the grade to put a hot tub, put up two trellis walls (one on each side), planted honeysuckle (a beloved memory from my childhood in AL) and trumpet vine on those, and put every "steppable" we could find into the flagstone patio. It has since overgrown with grass and a variety of weeds - did I mention I hate working out in the heat?

Last summer I dug out a tiny little raised bed (5'x2' for tomatoes and peppers. I added some black-eyed susans for color - couldn't resist. We got several tomatoes, enjoyed mostly by my co-workers as the family didn't seem to know what to do with them. The peppers didn't do too well, but I ate a few. No one else here seemed to trust the organic food I'd produced for them even though two are vegetarians!

This winter my hubby built me a dual compost bin, which I haven't started using yet. This summer's project - budget and stamina willing - is to dig out a large area(many of you will laugh at that...) about 12'x 8' and put in raised beds 4'x 8' w/ walkways for veggies. How deep should I dig for 8-12" high boxes? Long term goal: cabbage, lettuce, onions, leeks, garlic, peas, radish, spinach, carrots, cauli, potatoes, cucumbers, summer squash, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, and lots of herbs that I think (?) will grown in the X-gardens.

My big questions are do I just build the boxes this year, start working on the soil, and wait to plant? AND (if I plant this year) Can I start the cold weather stuff from seeds now? I plan to continue reading and learn as much as possible while waiting for the soil to warm up a bit.

Looking forward to changing from wannabe to gonnabe. Thanks to all for the great advice.

Mary

o

Hello,
I'm lurker.
2 years ago I relocated to the eastern sierra mountains in california. I live at 7000 feet and while our winter lows can reach -15 they average in the single digits and teens. We also can experience high winds. Last year we built a house here and now i am faced with the daunting task of landscaping it from scratch so I am looking for inspiration and information.
I relocated from the central coast of california where having a gorgeous yard and bountiful garden was easy and rewarding but didn't require much thought. Now I am in sunset zone 1 and I am trying to figure out if the zones being posted are referring to the sunset zones or usda zones and if this is the right forum for me. I hope so, I was happy to find it! Carol

o

Mary,
You can build the beds and plant this year if you want to. I decided last May I wanted a garden, and I planted it last June. Check out the link below.

Carol,
Most of the zones posted are USDA. Sometimes people put both in there. I live just east of Colorado Springs at 7000', USDA zone 5. It is often dry and windy. We dip below zero once in a while, but like you, more often it is above zero. We often have a lot of sunshine and can it can be zero or in the 50's or even 70's in January & February. Sometimes we hit all of those temps in a 24 hour period!

Here is a link that might be useful: Building the raised beds

o

Sunset zones 1, 2 and 3 probably do a pretty good job of defining the RMG region. Remarkably, GardenWeb and Arbor Day agree on my hardiness zone even tho' the USDA still has me in Zone 5. I decided myself to switch the designation to 6a after not seeing a -10F for about 5 Winters. Then, we had -18F in December 'o8.

I'm curious how these zone comparisons look to others for their gardening. GardenWeb has the chart of annual minimum temperatures that's easier to read than the one on the USDA map.

GardenWeb zip code lookup
Arbor Day zip code lookup
USDA zone map

digitS'

o

Carol,

AFAIAC you can continue to post here, as I miss that part of the country and doing the High Sierra Century in September and Hot Creek and Mammoth and Mono Lake and Bridgeport and Markleeville and and and...

Anyways, many of your concerns are the ones we have here. Welcome.

Dan

o

Total noob here. I just found your forums. I'm also a gardening noob. I live in Aurora, CO and am wanting to start trying to garden veggies. I know pretty much nothing about it, so I'm here to be a sponge & see what I can learn. My family lives NW of Ft. Collins, CO at about 8000 ft, so I'm also interested in learning how to garden at that altitude. They fairly regularly have -30 F in the winter. Anyway, hello, everyone!

o

Hi all,

Spring fever must be hitting hard! Things are picking up around here! Since February 23, two more old timers and seven newbies have checked in! Welcome everyone!.

The newbies are:
agertz.............Cascade foothills and 1500'
sherri09.........Boulder
barb422..........Salt Lake County, UT
colokid.............Kersey
phloxy mary...Near Lafayette
calilouie...........Eastern Sierra Mtns. CA
msfuzz............Aurora

Agertz, thanks for coming out of lurkdom! What state are you located in? Washington? What town are you closest to? Let us know when you have a question that you cant find the answer to around here. And I think wed ALL like to see that view, so post a picture for us sometime when you get around to it.

Sherri, how are your babies? Update your thread every now and then to let us know how theyre doing.

Barb, advice on landscape design is ok, but Ive always been a firm believer in the "its your garden and if you like it the way it is, its JUST RIGHT" theory! I go with the plopping them in systemand if I decide later that I dont like them there, I plop them somewhere else! If your kids liked the lettuce last year, try some peasandspinachandcarrotsandbeetsandcukes this year. If they help grow them, I bet theyll love all of those too. Im olde, and I never will get over how cool it is to eat something youve grown yourself!

ColoKid, I absolutely cracked up when I read about your being raided! So Kersey has a drug task force, huh! Kersey??? Now tell me! Where do you keep the "good stuff" that they didnt find it??? ;-) (Almost forgotIm olde toois Greg Lair based in DEN, and does he fly for UA?)

Phloxy mary, with everything you said youve gotten done, either you ARE out working in the heator else youre out at midnite with flood lites on! It sounds like youve put a whole lot of work into your yard already. If you want to try to replace the weeds in the cracks in your flagstone, woolly thyme is about the easiest patio stuffer youll find and you might just want to go with that to keep it simple and make it more likely to succeed. But if you do, get rid of ALL the weeds first, or youll continue to battle them forever. Im assuming the patio is in sun! The thyme would need at least a half day of direct sun to do well. I cant help with info on the boxesIve never done that, but why dont you start a separate thread to get some help with that one. More people will see it if its in a thread by itself. And if you want to check it out, I just posted a link to a "when to start veggies" site on the What to sow inside NOW? thread.

Calilouie/Carol, thank you, too, for coming out of lurkdom! This is definitely the right forum for you! Almost all of us use the USDA zones since the Sunset book is the only place youll find "those other" zones, and it can be confusing to a lot of people. Youre probably a USDA zone 5 or 6. Check the links Digit posted above to see where you fall. If youre looking for ideas for your new landscaping project, start a thread and post some pics of the areas you want to do. Youll probably get enough ideas to get you REALLY confused! ;-)

MsFuzz, welcome! Were glad you found us! Besides just soaking up the info from others threads, come post your own threads when you come up with questions. Theres always somebody around here with an answer, or glad to link you to a past thread if your question has already been answered somewhere else. And there are several members up in and around Ft. Collinsand plenty in other areas/states at that altitudeso come here with your "Ft. Collins" questions too. Since Aurora is SO big, are there any major cross streets youd like to give us so we can have a better idea where you are?

Fifty people have checked in here so far! Keep those cards and letters coming, folks!

:-)
Skybird

o

Thanks for the welcome, Skybird. :) I appreciate the "operating hints." I actually don't live in Aurora yet (I'm getting married in June & will be moving over there then). I will be living in the area of Mississippi & Chambers. My fiance's house has a nice big backyard, but it's been very poorly taken care of (by the previous owners). So, technically, right now I live in Central Denver, near Alameda & Federal, with a very tiny back yard that doesn't get very good light. :) I can't wait to be where I can actually try to GROW something!

o

I will be living in the area of Mississippi & Chambers. My fiance's house has a nice big backyard,

That area is near Delaney Farm, which is a CSA and changing rapidly into a neat farm.

Here are the two closest MesoWest weather monitoring stations to your house, in order of proximity: [ 1., 2. ]. You'll see your challenges are different than closer in to downtown.

Dan

o

Greetings all,
Long time lurker, first time poster. Google brought me here the first time about a year ago while researching vermicompost. As I sought out information about raised beds, tomatoes, greenhouses etc. via Google - I continued to land here. So now I skip the search engine and come directly to GardenWeb.

I live in Lakewood Colorado and I greatly appreciate all the useful tips and tricks from my fellow members. I hope to contribute.

I built a raised bed for veggies last year, I'm in the design phase for a raised flower bed this year and another in 2010. My five year plan includes converting my front lawn from grass to xeri and repurposing the sprinkler system to drip irrigation for the edibles.

I was recently introduced to mushroom hunting and I can't wait for this years wild harvest.

Have a great day!

xRay

o

I was recently introduced to mushroom hunting and I can't wait for this years wild harvest.

One of the best ways to be in touch with nature, in my view. If the snows keep going in the high country and summer comes at a normal time, it's going to be a good year. Morels on the plains, not so much unless a particular burn got some good snow.

Welcome.

Dan.

o

Wed, Mar 11, 09 at 18:06

Im SO glad a bunch of our lurkers are deciding to come out of the shadows this year! Its so nice to know youre all here! And I think youll find you get information thats more specific to your situation if you come post to ask when youre wondering about something, rather than just reading what other folks are posting about. Theres almost always somebody around here who will have some helpful advice, or be able to link you to an older thread to help answer your question, or link you to an outside site that might help. As we all know around here, our Rocky Mountain soil and moisture conditions mean that advice from folks in other areas of the country often just doesnt work out here. Andwe dont bite! And we dont allow folks around here who do!!! ;-)

Welcome xRay! Glad you decided to come out of the woodworkI mean, the compost pileto let us know youre here. I wound up with an "accidental" vermiculture compost pile in my backyard! I started it about 3 years ago, and its built directly on top of the ground. By the end of the first year when I started to pull a little bit of the finished compost out of the bottom of the pile, I discovered that red wigglers had migrated up into the pile and were apparently reproducing like mad! Ever since then Ive had an endless supply of worms to "transplant" into my beds whenever Im planting something. Thats great in any situation, but with clay soil, its absolutely wonderful. Little by little the worms are multiplying and my soil is improvingand since my main perennial bed was under landscape fabric and tons and tons of rock mulch when I bought the house, the soil was totally packed down rock hard, and had nothing in it but a few ant nests. It still has a way to go in spots, but the worms are my biggest helpers!

Come post pics of your projects as they progress. Its always fun to see what others are doing.

MsFuzzand all you other newbies and (past) lurkers (and current lurkers, still in hiding!) check out the Spring Swap thread and consider coming if you can. Its a fun time, a great way to pick up a few free plants, and a good way to meet, in real life, some of the folks who post around here! Everyone is welcome, even if youre new to gardening and dont have anything to bring to swap. You can always bring things to future swaps once you get your gardens going!

Anymore lurkers out there that are willing to come sign in?

Skybird

o

I've been enjoying lurking about on this site for years, and I've just started posting recently. I'm having fun posting and I can tell that it is going to be helpful to my gardening.

My wife and I live in Ketchum, Idaho at about 5800 feet. We are down by the river (not in a van, but we do own a Westfalia) and at the base of Bald Mountain. We've nicknamed our neighborhood Pneumonia Gulch.

I'm from a long line of farmers once removed. ( I think that's the way you say it) Well, my parents and wife's parents grew up on farms - our parents weren't farmers, but had citified jobs and did kid raisin. Many in my extended family continue to farm.

I have always enjoyed digging in the dirt and gardening. My Pop is a landscape architect and I went to school for that too. I've done a lot of work in landscaping and more recently in residential construction.

My wife and I have always had a garden, and we really delight in the vegetable gardening that we do. This year we hope to have a productive vegetable garden and will enjoy poking around here some more and chiming in from time to time.

Thanks for the welcoming approach everyone extends around here!

Okay, enough writing. I'm going to read the posts above this one. I've only gotten started on reading this posting of who's here in '09. Fun stuff. Best, Chris

o

While I was down in Durango in February a Sheriff's Deputy drove up to the house and asked my husband what we were growing under those grow lights! My husband explained that peppers need to be started in January to get peppers in August here. The hoop houses are next to the road but don't have anything planted in them yet. When I used to work at the courthouse I knew many of the officers and they knew that I grew vegetables for Farmers Market. This must have been a newer one that didn't know what we grew in those hoop houses? The Ag Experiment Station a few years back got a very nice set of grow lights and such when they busted an marajuana operation.

Has been very cold this week with temps around zero. Sure hope spring is coming soon! A few crocus up next to the foundation. Starting tomatoes this week inside under those lights!

o

LOL,, Margaret, don't you just hate it when that happens.I remember getting hit 3 times when I had my greenhouse, before it certified.We lived in the boonies and the "checks" were done because of my light bill..funnier yet my ex worked with the task force that showed up and was once an officer.
Nothing but snow sitting here in the Flathead, or at least at our town houses and down in Rollins, No crocus or even snowdrops yet.But some cold temps.Have my babies all under lights in the radiant heated garage.Its the best heat mat I have ever had.

o

I pop in occasionally throughout the year. We live at about a mile high in the northeastern part of Utah, about 30 miles west of the Colorado line. High desert; far too many deer. I always plant a large vegetable garden but the weeds take over by end of season. This past season I was able to purchase some better equipment, so maybe my battle with the weeds will be easier this year. We have 3 beautiful little granddaughters, from 2 months to 2 years in age. I try to plant enough to send extra home with their moms. I have a new greenhouse that isn't up yet, but I'm excited about it. This greenhouse is a dream come true after about 40 years of wanting one.

o

Hi, Linda! You're actually closer to me than most of the Colorado posters. I can see we are in a similar situation too - high desert, too many deer, LOL! Welcome!

Bonnie

o

Hi Bonnie! Our area is a bit challenging for gardening, isn't it? We've lived here 20 years. Folks who have lived here 80+ years tell me the past couple of years have been the worst ever for deer. We're about 1/4 mile from the creek. The deer like to bed down in my garden. Grrrr. I had to keep row covers on nearly everything much of the season last year. I guess they think nothing's better than a nice snack and then a nap.

o

Well, I guess I should be thankful they don't sleep in my garden, LOL! No, my yard is more like a fastfood drive thru along the deer highway.

o

Steviewonder here in Berthoud. I pop in occasionally when I have insomnia (not implying your comments put me to sleep). I have a suburban yard that suffers from too much shade, of all things. Past few years I've had lettuce, cukes, zucchini, basil. Last year I seeded some desert four o-clock and hollyhocks from a friend's seed, also planted some hostas. This spring I'm planning to fill the space in the front of the house that's left by the finally-torn-out junipers. Thinking climbing hydrangea or maybe a climbing rose but it's north-facing so pretty shady. Need to do more research.

Since buying this house I've mostly pruned and dug out things I don't like but haven't replaced much. Next fall, with any luck, both kids will be in school and I hope to start getting things in shape then.

o

Utah gardener here. I had always thought we lived in a zone 6, but the more I research, the more confused I am! From what I can tell, our USDA zone is 6b and the Sunset zone is either 1 or 2, I'm not sure which. We live at the base of the mountains in Utah County, so we tend to get more snow than the valleys do. And of course our yard is 90% rock. The locals always joke about how our most abundant crop in the area is ROCKS! They grow out of the lawns, the flower beds, the fields, everywhere. So our soil is less than ideal, one of the things we're looking in to is how to effectively and efficiently change that.

I'm very new to gardening, started a veggie garden last year, late May, had some success with it, lots of failures, and learned many, many new things. One of those being that cows LOVE veggies of all kinds. Our neighbor's calves managed to get outside their fence and had a wonderful snack on the 4th of July at the expense of our entire garden. Most of them actually grew back, surprisingly, but needless to say, they all had a very, very late start.

We have expanded our garden this year by quite a bit. We're planting many trees, both fruit and nut, adding the other two garden boxes we didn't get built last year, and planting blackberries and possibly some grapes if we get the funds to build the trellises. Also trying to get the remainder of the grass in this year. More than half our yard is still weed. After 8 years, I think it's about time we changed that.

And although my daughter is really hoping to plant all the beautiful flowers she has picked out, the flower gardens will likely have to wait until next year. Our focus this year is the edibles.

I suppose I would be considered a lurker here. I have little advice to share and thousands of questions to have answered. Perhaps by the end of the year that will start to equal out!

Phawx

o

"I had always thought we lived in a zone 6, but the more I research, the more confused I am! From what I can tell, our USDA zone is 6b and the Sunset zone is either 1 or 2, I'm not sure which."

I'm in zone 6, but I call it 5 because people misunderstand the zones and think they mean things other than what they do. The zone designation only tells how cold it gets in the winter, but people tend to think it also means how hot it gets in the summer, how long the growing season is, etc. Because we have late snows in the spring and early snows in the fall, I call it zone 5.

As you get closer to the mountains, zones can sometimes change quickly. If you're at more of an elevation, you may truly be in zone 5.

o

Guess I'll report in. I live in Aurora about a stone's throw from Denver proper. I bought my first house here three years ago. Then a year and a half ago I lost my job and haven't been able to find another one. Recently I got a small, part-time freelance job that will net me a couple hundred a month, but I need waaay more than that to survive.

I haven't been as active lately because of all that's been going on. I know no one wants to hear about that.

Last year I finally got a good crop of potatoes and zucchini. This year I plan to put in more snow peas.

Oh, I also have five cats.

o

Good Morning Everyone & Happy Birthday!

Do you ever check the "Today's Birthday" list linked near the bottom of the forum page? Believe it or not, I kinda just discovered it down there . . .

Usually, I'm interested in the new posts at the top of the forum page - not the dated posts and whatever at the bottom. When I get on a long thread like this one, then I click the "end" key on the keyboard and drop down where I can find the new comments.

Today, I clicked the "end" key in a premature fashion and jumped down to "Today's Birthdays!" Out of curiosity - I decided to check.

Today's Birthday person for the Rocky Mountain Forum is Carob!! The name didn't seem familiar. And, either this person likes carob desserts or is a "Carol" with a sense of humor. . . maybe a "Carol B." I choose to think of her as a lady gardener and decided to do a GW search for her posts. Not one thing! Nothing.

So I looked at her "Page" and discovered that she lives in "z6 Utah" and her "favorite forum 1 is Rocky Mountain Gardening." There was no "favorite forum 2." She first registered in 2004. And, yet not a single post! Nothing!

I decided to think that this is something of a complement to folks who were around here in 2004. Even those of us who joined a year or so later (me :o). Here is a lady who has a favorite forum but NEVER posts!

So, Thank You Carob! And, Happy Birthday!! And, if you are quietly reading this, we'd love to hear from you. We really would.

For all of those who appreciate the little community here, we really want you to join us. Not all of us are expert gardeners and can comment intelligently on every subject that comes up. We will choose some and not others - may not even read those others. But, that need not stop us from bringing up this or that subject. Or, asking questions (even if they sound rather lame to us at the moment). Now and then an expression of disagreement, politely put, won't hurt anyone. Happy Birthday Carob.

Steve's digits

o

Hi,

I just stumbled on to this site and am excited! This is my second year with a tiny garden here in Colorado - Aurora - and I'm looking forward to learning from everyone. I planted relatively late last year - two weeks after Mother's day, so am looking to getting an early start with maybe some greens and indoor germination. I appreciate all hints and suggestions, especially about conserving space.

o

I'm a newbie! To both the USA and to Rocky Mountain gardening! Just moved here from the UK (hubby has posting to Air Force Academy). Back in the UK I have been a mad keen gardener all my life, even to the extent of a few years college with it.
I had to take it easy a few yrs ago after back problems. Still blighted by the back problems but that hasnt stopped me getting out in our first week here and gardening with a broom!!!!
Now that our household goods have arrived I can use the proper tool although I have to time myself so as not to over-do it.

I am both intrigued and excited yet a little intimidated by the idea of trying to grow things here at 8000ft. We have a 3 acre plot in Monument, CO and although it was landscaped around the house its not been maintained and needs urgent attention (well as far as I am concerned, hubby who is not even slightly interested in anything other than a lawn thinks it all looks fine!).

I shall be bothering you all as I am used to growing pretty much anything in the UK and I know that I will be limited here (unless I care to drag plants in and out of the garage every season!).

There are a few shrubs most of which look very dead to me but as always I will leave until late summer before assigning them to the bin!

For now, I just wanted to sign in and say hi and touch base with any other broom gardeners out there or indeed anyone who gets excited at every new seedling, leaf, bloom or fruit that dares to grace us in this crazy but often beautiful world!

First question, in the UK horse manure is prized, esp for roses, does it work up here? Do roses survive? Ok, thats 2 questions, I always digress! :)

o

Welcome Bexxer!
I just wanted to let you know that I saw a listing on Craigslist tonight for free horse manure just northeast of Monument. Even if you're not ready for it yet, it might be useful to hold onto their number...

Here is a link that might be useful: CL posting

o

Still here...also in Patty Jewett area of Colorado Springs.
One new thing this year...I'm growing veggie seedlings for the new garden that Care & Share is starting (local food bank)
Will also probably help with maintaining it.
I'm also planning to remove the grass from my front yard and xeriscape it.

o

Yay - First day of Spring!!!

I'm still here in SE Aurora (Hampden/Buckley area). I've been MIA, busy with work, friends and kids. My to do list is getting longer by the minute - lawn & irrigation, porch railing and redoing the entry way. I have a small backyard and too much shade so last year I put a bed in the front which gets tons of afternoon sun that the peppers love.

The perennials are coming up, roses are showing signs of waking up and I managed to correctly prune the lilac last year so instead of two blooms I've counted 18-20 so far. I'm still having about a 50/50 success rate.

I managed to WS three kinds of green beans a couple of weeks ago and last weekend sowed carrots, beets & radishes; still have to get the tomatoes, peppers and herbs started.

Dafy (aka Jen)

Dafy (aka Jen)

o

Hi Jen. I'd been wondering where you had disappeared to lately. Nice to see you're still around.

Connie

o

Thanks for the heads up on the horse manure greenbean! I hoping to get out this morning for some tidying in the garden. Need to get the sprinkler fixed too before long, this is the driest spring I have ever experienced!

o

Wow -- I loved reading everyone's story!

We live in Superior (CO, just southeast of Boulder) with the rocky clay and tremendous winds of my Broomfield, Westminster neighbors. We just celebrated our second year here (moved from San Francisco, CA) and I am still having a hard time figuring out what works and what doesn't. Shoot. Some Heuchera are ticking me off -- I love them but for me they act like annuals; I'm a perennial gal.

I occasionally lurk here and the only question I ever posed got so many helpful responses -- it was about when to plant bulbs. That was about eighteen months ago and we are about to have our second spring with these beautiful harbingers. My soon-to-be five year-old son is furious that no red tulips have yet emerged -- he only cares for the red tulips, and we've purple, pink and yellow thus far, but not his beloved reds. Pobrecito. The daffodils, grape hyacinths and crocuses are all out in force; the hyacinths I think will be disappointing this year because they've been fooled by the funny weather. (me too)

My soon-to-be three year-old son has been helping me hand water. I love his help! I love that my children are working in the garden but don't know it's work. My older son has only just decided he's afraid of bees; in 2007 (a few months after moving in) when we completely redid our front yard he helped pick out plants based on the number of bees / birds / butterflies we saw (meaning: the more the better). It is what it is. (I found this forum after finishing our yard. I think I did pretty well!)

Just today my husband beheaded seventeen sad large bushes / small trees in our backyard to get ready for stump grinding sometime this week ... maybe. If it doesn't rain (although I'd prefer the stump grinding be put off so we get some moisture!) then we wait. No worries! (Dig Safe came out Friday -- they are so nice & helpful!) From a wonderful nursery in Firestone we purchased, oh, I cannot remember, eleven, fifteen, something ornamental pears. (and now of course I cannot recall what type -- Cleveland? Aristocrat? hmm) I really like the English Columnar Oak but they were about three times the cost, and since I'm not three times as rich ... Pears it was! We purchased the trees last autumn on a terrific sale, and they (nursery) wintered the trees for us. That's what I call a win-win! I'm excited to plant them; I'm thinking about underplanting them with Euonymous Manhattan but let's be realistic, it'll just be the trees which go in this year. I'm still at the stage where I figure if we're all in clean clothes with brushed teeth then I have met all goals.

Back in CA we had a bit over half an acre, and the way we were situated we couldn't see a neighbor. Now we live in a planned community on a lot of about 10,000 square feet, and I feel so naked. Not a single neighbor has plantings of height to give a visual divide (besides the fences). We don't "get it," hence all the trees we're adding. (and of course now none of our neighbors will need to plant since we're doing it)

Last summer we planted five Aspens, underplanted with bluemist. I did my research here and read that some are anti-Aspens, but I love watching those leaves flutter; I think it is lovely. I also love that they'll grow relatively quickly, and they are a known performer. (In the backyard, there are three mature Aspens which are doing beautifully; in the front we've five.) I had us doing a "tree health" program with Swingle but canceled this year -- it just cost more than I can justify, and it'll be good for me to learn what to do.

In our previous house we planted a grove of Japanese Maples; after doing much research (mostly here) I think I've found a good spot to tuck a red leafed one. We'll see .... For his birthday (this May) I'll give him a shishi odoshi (animal repellant clacking fountain) -- already had the electricity put in. I'm so excited!

Thank you for all the incredible information you all so generously share -- this lurker has really benefited.

o

Mon, Mar 23, 09 at 21:24

Welcome, welcome, welcome everyone! It is just so much fun this year hearing from so many of our lurkers, and having so many newbies find us and decide to start posting rather than just lurking. I hope youll all decide to become active in the forum. Were here to help answer your questions, and you may find that you have a lot more to contribute than you realize at first.

Since my post on March 11, three more oldies and EIGHT more newbies have checked in!

The newbies are:
xray................Lakewood
eatsivy.............Ketchum, ID
lindautah.........Northeastern Utah 30 miles west of CO border
steviewonder..Berthoud
phawx..............Utah base of mountains in Utah County
baquist............Aurora
bexxer.............Monument (just moved here from the UK)
rmkitchen.......Superior

Ivy, youve been posting around here enough that youre starting to feel like one of the regulars already. It sounds like you have some great experience to help us answer questions, and with the new-to-gardening people that have recently checked in, I think were gonna be getting a lot of questions this summer, so I hope youll come add your wisdom to everybody elses. Mareseatoatsanddoeseatoatsandlittlelambseativy! Sorry! I couldnt resist! I think of that every time I see your screen name! :-)

Congratulations on your soon-to-be greenhouse, Linda. I bet youre gonna love it when you get it assembled! Oh, how I wish I had oneor even just the space to put one in! From my experience, if youre able to keep the weeds in your veggie garden hoed or pulled out before they produce seed, there will be less and less weeds every year. The first year I did mine, four years ago now, it seemed like I spent the whole summer pulling weeds, but last year I had very little problem at all. There are always some weed seeds that blow in or are brought to the surface when I turn it over, but it just isnt that big a deal anymore. But my garden really isnt that big, so it wasnt as bad as it might have been in the beginning if it had been biggerand since youre planting for the deer tooyours is probably considerably bigger than mine! ;-)

Stevie, I hope you dont wind up here TOO often because of insomniaand remember that youre welcome around here even in the middle of the day! ;-) Congratulations on losing the junipers! I have a couple in front of my house I want to get rid of sometime, but there are too many other things on the to-do list, so its gonna be a few years. Since you have a lot of shade, consider adding some ferns to your hosta. There are some really cool ones, and I think they contrast really nicely with hosta.

Phawx, Tell us what town/city youre near. Is it SLC or Provo? "Base of the mountains in Utah County" covers a lot of territory! Im really glad I dont need to deal with rocky soil, but assuming theres some clay mixed in with the rocks, the best thing you can do to help it, for flowers or veggies, is to startand keep onadding organic matter. If you havent already started a compost pile, do! Theres really nothing better you can get to improve your soil than homegrown compostand its free! Lacking that, start with a good quality bagged compost, or a bale of Canadian peatwhich needs to be moistened and "fluffed up" before you mix it into the soil. It sounds like you already have a lot on your plate for this year, but if you get a chance, you might want to start a few perennials and stick them in a corner where they can start to develop. Thatll give you some much larger plants for next yearthat you can move to wherever you want them. Come challenge us with your thousands of questionstheres always somebody around with an answer! AndI have my own question! Whats a Phawx???

Baquist, thanks for letting us know youre here! Is your garden veggies? If youre just getting into gardening, I bet your garden will gradually get bigger each yearas your grass slowly "disappears!" A lot of us have that "disappearing grass" mystery going on in our yards! Why dont you start a separate thread to get some space saving suggestions. There are a bunch of people around here with limited space. Where are you located in Aurora? Are there major cross streets near you that will localize you a little bit more?

Bexxer, welcome to RMGAND the USA! Wow! What a switch! I dont THINK we have too many other "broom gardeners" around here, but, hey, you do what you can with what youve got! Im glad to hear you have your "real" garden tools now. I suspect thatll make it a wee bit easier! I think its gonna take a fair amount of adjusting from the "wet" climate of the UK to the dryland gardening youll be doing around here! Dont worry too much about dragging things in and out, there are LOTS of hardy things that will do well around herebut youll need to be exploring new and different plants now. I just found a zone map for the British Isles, and the coldest zone they showed was 7! Didja bring a good coat with you! I just checked for your zone by the Monument zip code, and one site said 6 and one said 5! Are you out on the plains, or are up against or in the foothills? Im showing an altitude of "2243 meters (7359 feet)" for "Monument," higher than I realized. If youre out on the plains, I guess its possible that you really are a 6, but it seems to me that at 8000', 5 or lower is more likely. If you find somebody whos into gardening, see if you can find out what they think the zone is where youre located. Thatll help a lot! And once you know that, we can ALL help you find things that will do well for you. You wont wind up with the same things you had in the UK, but youre going to find lots of things you love. Oh! Im guessing your shrubs are just dormant! With the warm weather weve been having, you should know for sure within the next couple months if theyre ok or not. Andmost of us get excited with every new seedling, leaf, seed, or fruit, so youre definitely in the right place! :-)

Kitchen, you had quite a change from the Bay Area too! I hope your red tulips come up soon! Its hard to wait when youre 5! Thats still a nice size lot you have, and, wow, youre sure putting in a lot of trees. Be sure you place them so you dont wind up with ALL shade when they grow up. There are a LOT of perennials that wont do well, AND veggies, if you ever decide to get into that, if they dont have enough sun. And, is it the dark leaf Heuchera youre trying to grow? If so, do you have them in mostly shade? They should do ok here, and Im surprised youre having troublebut they really dont like our high altitude sun. I have Chocolate Ruffles, and its been doing fine for 4 years now. This winter, with the dry, warm weather weve had, most of the foliage has completely browned, but Im just gonna wait till this current cold snap is over and cut it down to pretty much nothing and wait for some pretty, new growth. And I have one of the standard green leaf ones, H. sanguinea, that I originally put in mostly sun, and even had to move that one into mostly shade. Now its doing well.

Dafy, I havent been responding to the regulars this yearbut Im really, really glad to see you back. I was starting to worry about you, and was thinking of emailing you. (Every time I go down in the basement I see that non-green helmet!) Im glad to know youre ok and that youve just been too busy, but dont be a stranger around here! :-)

So far 36 "old folks" and 25 new ones have checked in. It looks like well have a great group of people to keep the forum active this summer. And there are 60 people on last years list who havent shown up yet, and I hope to see a bunch more lurkers and newbies letting us know theyre here too.

Glad to be part of RMG,
Skybird

o

Another newbie here. I've been in Denver about 5 years and gardening even less than that. I'm in Highlands - west of Lodo by about 5min. I live in a small 1920s bungalow with a tiny city lot. I really have no idea what I'm doing but I enjoy playing in the dirt and even find weeding a little bit Zen.

My big project this spring is to put in a scent garden for my daughter. I was totally inspired by the Sensory Garden at Anchor Center for Blind Children and now I'm going to try this in my own yard. DD is deaf with low vision and in a wheelchair - so this is something I think she'll enjoy. I know the plants I'd like to include - roses, lavendar, mock orange, citron daylilies - its the design part I'm never sure about! DH built an arbor last year and now I'm having visions of it dripping with fragrant, white rose blossoms. I'm thinking of Sombreuil - any comments? (if someone could tell me how, I'd be happy to post some pics)

I tried my very first veggie garden last year....it didn't go that great but I'm gonna give it another shot. This year I'm going try square foot gardening - so I'll be lurking on that forum, too.

I look forward to lurking & learning from all of you!

o

Hi Scents,

Welcome to RMG. I love the old houses in the original Denver areas! But a lot of the old neighborhoods have big trees. Do you have enough sun to grow the things you want? For your scented garden, consider not only things with scented flowers, but also things with scented foliage. Agastache is a really good one. Theres one that smells like bubble gum! Its Agastache cana, and its called double bubble mint! Theres another one, A. barberi Tutti Fruitti that smells likewellTutti Fruitti! Theres a whole bunch of themall with different wonderful scents. And you could get some of the mints. Theres chocolate (my favorite), orange, apple, pineapple, and lots more, but the mints are totally invasive, so I definitely recommend you put them in pots and not in the ground. If you put them in the ground, theyll take over everything in a few years. There are also lots of wonderful herbs, basil and dill are very easy to grow, and theyd have a second purpose since you could use them for cooking too. Any your daughter likes the scent of would work.

I dont know a whole lot about the different roses, but why dont you start a separate thread asking about the variety youre thinking of, and possibly for other suggestions.

And, if youre interested, I could send you some seed for English lavender and for a yellow columbine thats very sweetly scented, Aquilegia chrysantha. I also have seed for Agastache foeniculum, the herb form of Agastache. The foliage is the most intensely licorice scented plant youll ever findtho its not really the prettiest plant youll ever find! We had a seed exchange in fall, and Ill link to that thread below. If you check out my list and theres anything else youd like, just let me know. My post is at November 21, and then I started a thread with pictures of the things I had seeds for, and theres a link to that thread at December 2. (The descriptions are on the first thread and only the pictures are on the second thread.) Orif theres any chance youd be able to come to the swap in May, Ill be bringing seed with me to give away again. Check out the Spring Swap thread when you have time. If you cant make it there, and would like me to send you some things, just PM me. All the things Ive mentioned here, by the way, would need at least a half a day of direct sun, and almost all of them would do best with sun all day. The columbine can take less sun, but does well in full sun too.

And, I dont have time to live link it right now, so heres a copy and paste link to my thread from a couple years ago of all the help I got when I was trying to figure out not only how to post pictures, but how to get them out of the camera and into the computer in the first place! First you need a photo hosting site like Picasa, PhotoBucket, or Flicker (sp?), and that gives you a link to use to post them. If you decide you want Picasa, where you can download them, do basic editing, and then transfer them to Picasa Web Albums to post them, complete directions for how to do it are down near the bottom of thevery longthreadand I can help if you come up with other questions. If you decide on one of the other photo hosting sites, start a separate thread asking for helpand somebody will be along to help you! :-)

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/rmgard/msg0421410528314.html

Dont just lurk! Come post with us!
Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: 2nd Annual RMG Seed Exchange

o

scentsible -- I am so excited about your accessible garden! What a treat for your daughter and everyone else who enters. Good friends of ours live near 42nd & Green (although I think that might be Berkeley?) and have an incredible garden; being in their yard really helped inform my vision for what we could achieve in CO. My younger son has special needs, so in an entirely different way I appreciate so much what you are doing for your daughter. What a great mom!

Thank you so much, skybird, about the Heuchera feedback. Yes, they are Chocolate Ruffles (imagine that!) and yes, I have them in shade. But last year they were sad and some didn't come back, and this year they look, just as you wrote, crinkly and brown and, quite frankly, dead. They and the iceplants (which I LOVE here even though in CA they are freeway plants -- weird how when the context changes so does the opinion ...) are the only plants I haven't cleaned-up (removing last year's old) yet. I'll give them some more time. Thank you!

Maybe as a project today I'll have the laddies help me photograph our front and I'll post in the "March" thread.

And one more "thank you" about the potential too-much shade issue in the backyard. Shade is something we are sorely lacking back there and for which we are desperate! Fingers crossed these Pears help us out. They, along with the earlier-planted Aspens, are (going to be) perimeter trees, and we earmarked a spot to remain sunny for future veggie endeavors. Eventually we'll have three green "walls" marking the outlines of our backyard. In my mind's eye (and on paper) it'll be lovely, albeit a long process. (We spent too much on the front yard so we're proceeding at a slower pace in the backyard. Ahem ....)

Thanks again!

o

Wow, it's really nice to be missed :^)

Hi back at you Connie!! I wandered away around the holidays over to the Harvest & Cooking forums for menu ideas, then the Sewing forum when I picked up another rotary machine to fix, and then parked over at the Garden Party for the winter. Goodness, I sound like a migrating bird.

Skybird, I have been carrying around those basil seeds in my purse since the fall swap. I brought them all the way there and got so distracted that I completely forgot to give them to you. I'm tying string around my finger to get them mailed out this weekend.

I'm getting my questions thought out and when I have more time I'll start separate threads - so far it's salvaging a dessicated tulip (though I think I killed it with kindness); I need advice from digit on gladiolus (since he's the glad-king) that I got from my daughter's fundraiser; etc...

Baquist, the "unofficial" rule out here is to wait until after Mother's Day to plant out so you weren't that late.

Scentsible, Lemon balm grows like crazy and smells (to me anyway) like lemon scented furniture polish, and tomato leaves smell fantastic. I've had a lot of luck with winter savory (it's been doing great for three years now), my thyme has lasted at least a couple of years and a purple sage has done fairly well.

Bexxer, if you're missing the UK and ever out to Aurora, there is a little shop on Havana called The English Tea Cup that is full of English imports; Yorkshire Gold, PG Tips, biscuits, candies, tins of treacle, Walker's shortbread, tea pots and tea cups; they had just started serving tea and sandwiches for a few hours a day the last time I was there.

Kitchen, just wanted to say hi to another California transplant, though I'm a SoCal girl I love, love, love the Bay area.

BTW - I nominate Digit to keep track of all the birthdays since he's the one who found the magic button...any seconds??

Jen - still "Dafy" and going back to work now

o

• Posted by sister_k Zone 5 Lafayette, CO (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 26, 09 at 0:18

Hi Everyone -- there sure have been a lot of people checking in. Thanks Skybird for keeping track of all of us newbies and thanks to all the regulars who are so generous with helpful information and making us feel welcome.

Scentsible, the scent garden is a great idea. I am trying for a LOT of wonderful scented flowers this summer, and continuing with herbs, also. I am still new to gardening though, but I will tell you one plant that I will never live without since I found it this summer and am in love with the fragrance of the leaves. It is Lemon Verbena and just has the most amazing scent, I can't walk past it without brushing the leaves. It is a perennial but not hardy, but I read on this forum that it can be overwintered in a sunny, cool window (loses leaves and goes dormant). Mine lost it's leaves, looked like tall sticks for most of the winter and has now sprouted new leaves and shoots! I can't wait to put it back outside and have a nice full plant again!

Also, I do love the scent of so many herbs, which I use with a heavy hand for cooking, especially on the grill. Rosemary, basil & thyme (I think maybe already mentioned). If my winter sown seeds come up (many already have, hooray!!) and live until the swap, I should have some herbs to bring!

Finally, you should check the Fragrant Forum (link below) though I think a LOT of their discussion is scent-ered (sorry, couldn't resist the pun!) on gardenias, which seem very finicky.

Happy gardening everyone!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fragrant Forum Link

o

Hello everybody! I still pop in once in a while. I rarely post but have wanted to get a bit more active. My name is Dianne and I live in Salt Lake City/Millcreek. My husband and I moved here in 2002 from Virginia and bought our first home in 2003, which we share with three cats two Maine Coons and a psychotic but gorgeous little black rescue. The first few years we were focused mainly on painting and some indoor renovations, but I started landscaping/gardening in earnest a couple years ago (after years of waiting and wishing and reading a LOT about gardening!). Since 2005, weve lost a large pine tree (all the needles just turned brown), a big locust (to age/disease), and a huge spruce (to a microburst! it came down less than a foot away from the front of our house!!). So our yard was looking quite sad and bare, and then early last year we got new siding and windows, which has been a big motivator to make the yard as pretty as the house is now. Our last tree casualty will probably be the big apricot in our backyard. Its certainly in decline and probably almost as old as the house (c. 1940) if not older Ive been told the neighborhood used to be all orchards, and there are still a few neighbors with apricot trees left. We do still have a big old apple tree though, and it seems to be pretty healthy and produces well.

In the last couple of years Ive planted a flowering cherry, a crabapple, a 'Vanderwolf's' limber pine (not doing well), two lilacs, two red-twig dogwoods, a Black Lace elderberry, two small arborvitae, a cherry laurel, a couple of euonymus, and a Rose of Sharon. And thats just the front yard we havent done much in the back yard yet other than some raised redwood beds for veggies. We (and by that I mean mostly the husband) built four of them a few years ago and are finally getting around to building the last two now. We've got an auger and a small concrete mixer coming on Saturday morning, so hopefully we'll be able to get all the holes done and posts in before it rains/snows again on Sunday! I enjoy our small veggie garden and grow greens, peas, broccoli, onions, peppers, tomatoes, corn, summer squash, beans, and a few herbs. We're planning to start asparagus in one of the new raised beds, and a couple of grapevines on a small arbor across the back of the garden.

In the front yard, I also started my first ever perennial garden it has the two arbs and a small spirea, along with baptisia, irises, daylilies, a peony, catmint, penstemons, and geraniums (there were others that didnt make it from my first planting in early October 2007 lesson learned!). Ive got a bunch more to add that are coming from a nursery in Virginia next month dictamnus, caryopteris, anemone, chrysanthemum, aster, dianthus, veronica, calamints, platycodons, and more catmints and geraniums. I put in about 140 bulbs there in 07 (daffs, tulips, leucojum, iris reticulata) and will do another 200-250 this year (more of the same plus some new varieties and also some crocuses). So anyway, I'm off and running with my new favorite hobby and having a lot of fun!

It's great hearing everyone's background and getting updates...hopefully I can contribute more this year. And digitS your birthday post really tickled my funny bone! :-D

o

Skybird-

I live in Pleasant Grove. And for any that know the area, our back fence is the canal that runs along the mountains. So we're not as high up on the mountain as some, but certainly not down in the valley.

A compost bin is definitely on the plans for this year, we just have not found a place to build it yet. Our yard is challenging, to say the least.

Phawx is, well, me :) The name originated from a game I used to play, was the name of one of my characters and it has just stuck with me since then. Alternate spelling to Fox, is really all it was, but now it has come to represent many, many things.

o
thanks sbird

Thanks Skybird for this topic and all your postings here and throughout the Rockies site. You are a treat.

o

Hi Everyone,

I live in the Nashville Tennessee area (originally from Maryland) and I'm a newbie. I'm just discovering Garden Web. I don't know if I'll be a lurker or an active participant....have to wait and see.

Married and my husband is with me 100% on our gardening mission. We have 2 wonderful boys and we both work in the transportation/automotive industry (bummer but we're still employed).

My husband, Shawn, has started a small aquaponics setup, built a small greenhouse and has started a compost - worm bin. He's so handy and I'm so lucky!

We've many seedlings in our little greenhouse and we go out there every day to check on things. I can't believe this, but we've been talking to the plants. Is this addiction?

I love doing my research here on garden web. There are so many experienced gardners and so many topics! Recently, I've been reading about companion gardening. Does this make me a lurker?

I also am getting into trading seeds. We don't have much to trade but many generous gardners are willing to send some for SASE. It's great and we have a variety of heirlooms. We'll defintely be seed savers.

Got to go! Having a small get-together for friends at my house today. I need to figure out something to do with Jalepeno peppers since I got about 3 pounds on sale for 79cents (perhaps stuffed)?

Nice to meet and read about everyone!

Wendy (loudbaby)

o

I'm still here. I haven't visited in a long time. We had unseasonal warm weather here in the central mountain chain in New Mexico this March. My fruit trees were starting to flower, then we got hit by 9-10" of snow last Friday, and a 16 degree morning.

I'm hoping to at least get some apples this year. Not much hope for the peaches,nectarines, and cherries. I planted an apricot a couple years ago just on a whim, it bloomed about a month ago, when we were still having lows in the twenties.

o

So Wendy, I'm always curious when it comes to food, what did you end up doing with the jalapenos? :-)

o

Better late than never I suppose! I've posted a couple of questions....one about pruning my apple trees (thanks much to dan_staley for advice) and one tonight about butterfly bushes.....but just realized I hadn't checked in for the year.

Cliff notes on me - I'm a Deep South girl, started digging in the dirt before I could walk and am used to lots of GREEN and humidity. Miss the former, but not the latter or the huge bugs or tornadoes! Been in the west for 11 years - first ID, then UT - gardening for 4 and love it. I've learned that in this climate you can't stick a broomstick in the ground and expect it to grow roots (something we DID expect in the South) but that you can grow lots of gorgeous things without a whole lot of water.

Happy Easter to you all!

Mags

o

I think I'm going to stop visiting the Garden Web forums and find another gardening site to frequent. It seems every time I post, someone decides to harrass me about being stupid and dirty, and how their political opinions are so much better than my obviously stupid opinions (which they didn't ASK about and which I never talk about, seeing as this is a GARDENING forum and not a POLITICAL INSULTS forum).

You'd think someone somewhere would say, "I'm really sorry your mom died. My condolences." Or, "I'm sorry you're having such a tough time getting a job. Unfortunately you've got a lot of company right now."

But no. I get people following my posts and my threads for the sole purpose of calling me names and flinging insults at me. (In a different forum, I actually had one woman following my posts around making fun of the fact that my mom had died.) And there's nothing I can do. They have carte blanche to do any nasty thing they like, and I have no recourse.

And frankly, I'm bloody sick of it. Between being out of work for over a year and a half, my house going into foreclosure, and my mom dying, for pete's sake, it's has been a horrendous time for me lately. I don't want to spend my time being harrassed, insulted, and made fun of because of all of these awful things that have happened to me. I love gardening. It brings me peace, as well as supper. This forum doesn't anymore.

o

I am sure everyone is sorry for the loss of your mom, but as you pointed out in your other thread, this is a gardening forum. There is a grieving forum linked below where you might get more help in getting through this. Most people shy away from the subject because no one wants to think of the loss of a parent and too many people are also dealing with job loss. Lately I'm not on as much as I would like because life got in the way, as it does, but I try not to bring it here - this is my escape. If I have something to contribute I will, but if I don't I just move on. Life is too short to get sucked into the void of name calling and bitter feelings. This may sound harsh, but I mean it with the best intentions - Pull yourself up by the bootstraps and do something about what's going on; no one can do it for you.

Best wishes to you in the future no matter what you decide to do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grieving forum

o

Lilacs,
I'm sorry you feel that way. I don't know about the other forum you're referring to, but I think RMG is one of the nicest forums there is.

Although your other post was about gardening, it did involve the White House, and that will pretty much always bring politics into it. I do not believe that the "dirty hippies" comment was aimed at you, or even intended as an insult by the poster.

I hope you will stick around. When things aren't going well, it's nice to have some sort of contact with others. We do feel for you, but you must realize that most of us are strangers in real life, and because this is about gardening, people may avoid getting too personal, and may not reply to your personal matters.

o

Hey all...better late than never I guess. I've posted on and off for about a year. I live in a city called Brighton, Co that is growing before my very eyes. It's NE of Denver. I work for a local nursery (3rd year) and I grew up loving perennial flowers because my father would bring me out into his gardens and show and teach me things about them. When I bought my first house, I planted with gusto and learned more than I thought I could. I moved into a new home two years ago with all rock and have recently replaced the rock with all trees, shrubs and perennials in my front. My DH loves me, I guess!
My true love is perennials but due to my job, I pretty much love anything and everything green. I'm continuously learning about planting in CO with the crazy weather, and like to try new plants to see if I can keep them alive. This site is wonderful, I've learned a lot.

o

Hello All!
I have hung out around the Cottage Garden forum for a while because it seemed the most active, but there are more people here than I thought! Skybird, you do a great job of making everyone feel included - thank you!

A lot of changes this last year - separated from the military, moved from Wyoming to Ft. Collins CO (Jared, we'll have to compare notes - I'd love to know what CSU's master gardener program is lke!), bought a new house and am generally trying to figure out what I'll be doing next. Not so sure on the job front or school or anything, but when it comes to the garden, I have plans :)

Our new house has a few plants I can't identify (some sort of generic shrub thing and a variagated ground cover), and whole bunch of plants I can (phlox, catmint, vinca, creeping jenny, tulips, boxwood, lilacs etc.) + raised beds = I'm a very happy girl. I planted spinach and beets and carrots about a week ago so hopefully the snow doesn't stunt their growth or anything. This year the goal is to expand the front walkway and plant beds on either side. It's south facing and completely sunny, so I should have some fun with it!

As skybird mentioned on another thread, I was living in Wyoming. We are renting out that house for now, so I have two gardens to play with this summer, plus the community garden plot I decided to jump in on. We'll see if I can keep all three in reasonable shape! I'm going up the week before the swap to thin out some of the new sprouts and probably take some cuttings of brunnera, veronica, and maybe dwarf orange lilies. If anyone will be attending the swap and would like some of those, just let me know!

Dryad58

o

ok late again. Besides the three girls, work is kicking my @#$%^&*(. I haven't put in a single seed this year. My husband has no interest in gardening....so we don't usually get very far. I had started double digging some compacted areas, but now the holes are full of water.

Charlene I hope to attend the 9th, I haven't checked my schedule, but I think I'm free. I always love coming. Cyndi

o
RE: Who's here in 2009? Count Me In!

What a friendly welcome to this forum! I've live in Greenwood Village, Colorado for two years with this being my first attempt at vegetable and herb gardening in a climate that I know absolutely nothing about.

Starting seeds indoors is a whole new animal to me that I'm both excited and nervous about getting to know. I've already learned many helpful things on this forum, with the greatest being how friendly and helpful everyone seems to be to each other!

o

Well, I'm still here for the most part. I hope everyone is having a good year so far.

I still live in my little apartment in south Colorado Springs. I haven't started anything in terms of seeds, but I am trying to get my perennials back from under the dirt. My husband and I are in the process of buying a house right now. We are looking at a house in the Falcon/Peyton area. We were hoping to be moving at the end of May, thus the reason I didn't start anything. I really didn't want to deal with protecting little seedlings or carrying around tons of containers while we are moving. But, it looks like our move date has been pushed back to sometime in June so now I am a little annoyed I didn't start anything. My condolence is that the houses we like are on at least 2.5 acres so I will have tons of room to garden when we do finally move.

I have recently been diagnosed with Celiac Disease and that has really been affecting my health and mental state. This along with 2009 already being a bit rocky means I have been struggling with motivation for most things, including gardening. However, my diagnosis has probably been the best thing to happen to me because I now know what is wrong and I can easily fix it. My mom may have it also (it's a genetic disorder) and my diagnosis means that she may finally have an answer for her unresolved health issues as well. I am working on getting my health back on track and hopefully these motivation issues will clear up as well.

I am looking forward to another summer season and I will definitely be looking for advice once we get into our house. Celiac means I am eating a lot more veggies and fruits so I can't wait to get our house and start growing them fresh.

o

Lindy loo,
So sorry for the diagnosis, but I have three friends that have been diagnosed with it within the past 3 years and they are eating healthier than they ever have...and look absolutely great. It's something you CAN live with, and live with well. I hope you have great success in changing your lifestyle and enjoying the living better.

o

another newbie...
i discovered this forum last fall and just came back to it for spring planting. i've been gardening for about 5 years, since moving to colorado. i'm a pediatrician in NE denver. i have a teeny-tiny yard so i try to make good use of the space i have. i have veggies in 2 raised beds (semi-square foot gardens, ie they're structured as that but i just don't have the discipline to keep each veggie in its own little square. and it would help if lettuces didn't come in 6-packs!) i'm partial to plants that multitask - i don't have room for ones that just look pretty, they have to either taste good or smell good, too. bronze fennel, tomatillos, eggplant, rainbow swiss chard, opal basil, tricolor sage, agastache, strawberries, and my one baby cherry tree are favorites. and i have arugula and parsley that self seeded like mad but i don't have the heart to treat them as weeds.

dan, do you do landscape design consultations? i have hardscape questions.

ooh, and can i come to the swap, skybird? aforementioned bronze fennel has lots of little seedlings i could dig up, and i have some orange i-think-it's-corepsis i'd like to trade away. i don't suppose anybody wants some bishop's weed?
jen

o

dan, do you do landscape design consultations? i have hardscape questions.

Sure. E-M me & we'll discuss.

Dan

o

Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 19:56

I havent had a chance to get back here for a while, and I dont have a lot of time right now, so just a quick post to say hi to the newbies that have signed in most recently!

Welcome, Doccod! We only have a couple people from New Mexicoat least that we know aboutso its nice to have you here. I hope at least some of the blossoms on your fruit trees survived and were pollinated. Its a shame when everything freezes and you wind up missing a whole year. Fingers crossed for you!

Hlollar, its never too late to sign in on this thread! At least not until we start the new one next winter! ;-) Since I used to work at Paulinos, I know how busy you are at this time of year, but we have a Fall Swap too, so keep an eye out for when we start the thread for that one. Its usually the very beginning of September.

Gardeninggirl, lots of people around here love to help answer questions for people, so come start a new thread and let us know whenever you have questions about your new veggie garden, or starting your seeds. Well help you get thru the first yearand in a couple years youll be helping answer questions for other people! Welcome!

Mutajen, welcome! I just looked up and sent Charlene your address so she can send you the swap info. When you see this, go over to the Swap Picture Thread and post the things you mentioned here that you hope to bring. And while youre there, check out what others have posted and let them know if theres something youd like to have earmarked for you. Uh! Bishops weed (Aegopodium podograria Variegatum, snow-on-the-mountain)! Probably notbut you never know! If you post it on the swap thread, Ill come add the "proper warnings!)

In addition to the 4 Newbies, 5 more old timers have checked in since my last post! Its never too late! Come tell us youre here!

Skybird

P.S. Dan and Mutajen, have your hardscaping discussion here and we can all benefit from it.

P.P.S. Lindy, right after I was diagnosed with the iron deficiency anemia my doctor thought I had Celiac too. Im glad I dont (cant even imagine staying on a gluten free diet when Im working!), but we can talk about it a little at the swap if we get a chance.

o

Technical difficulty much?

I have been trying to say "hello" on the "whos here" thread for three weeks nowin fact, every time I try, I get kicked back to the original page. This only happens, however, after I have spent about 30 minutes giving thoughtful introduction of myself My husband has come to dread the "NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" coming from mesuch angst I havent known since I was an awkward teenager at a dance hoping Tommy would ask me to dance Either way, Im typing this in Word and will copy and paste, and my heart rate WILL remain constant.

So, to get to the dirt! I live in Broomfield (NW of Denver), and my husband and I always joke that its like living in Mayberry. DH and I met on eHarmony in September of 05, were married in January 06, and I moved from Fort Collins to here. So, we got married, I became the "other Mom" to his three girls, now aged 20, 16 (going on 27), and 14, and we blended my two cats with his two dogs to make a NOT Brady bunch. Okay, so the cats and dogs never blended Were down by one dog and up by one cat since we started our journey.

I found out about Earth Boxes a couple years ago. I was a turned off by the price, though, and after doing some research, I found that their customer service had a really bad reputation, and I wasnt going to spend that kind of money to be treated like so much dirt (no pun intended okay, so maybe it was!), and thats when I found The Garden Patch Grow Boxes. Its a similar concept, but 40% less expensive, and even came with its own fertilizer, so I bought three. Then, it being early in the season, I decided that I would get a few more, so I bought 10 more (Dont tell anyone, but I ordered 10 more this morning Gonna have to go get some dirt to fill them now!) Yeah, I dont do much halfway, although I will do it the easy way whenever I can. We have terrible bindweed in our yard, and since we had dogs, I didnt want to even attempt to make an area where they needed to keep out, and didnt really have a good spot in our yard for one anyway (weird angles, shade from neighbors trees, etc.), so I decided everything is going into containers (again, the easy way means not having to dig up any part of the yard), and since bindweed has taken down two of my rosebushes, Im doubly glad that I went to the container method.

I have found some great resources for inexpensive seeds on ebay, and a couple sellers that they themselves grow the seeds (open-pollinated, but whatever). I discovered wintersowing (this is my first year, with mixed success). In March of 2009, I came across the Garden Web, and the rest, as they say, is history! I get a kick out of retiredprofs postings on the WS forum, but really get some good local and timely advice from this RMG forum, and have grown quite fond of a few of you (I sometimes post, but mostly lurk) for the jokes and advice. I am very much looking forward to my first swap next weekend, but have to thank austinandhannasmom for the lovely tomatoes and peppers that she gave me yesterdaywhat a wonderful person she is!

I love that all you fellow gardeners are so good at enabling my compulsions!

On my list of things to try: peas & beans, cold frames, and okra. My husband loves it, but when I have tried it before, our summers arent long enough and the nights arent warm enough on the front end for it to take off. If youre ever sad, search GW for okra and enjoy some of the Love it/Hate it threads.

Okay, so now that I have written a book, Im going to go over to the forum and post it Wish me luck? I cant wait to meet most of you next weekend!

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Patch Grow Boxes

o

We are newcomers to Peyton, CO. Previously lived in Southern Indiana where we had a fabulous 50ft x 100ft vegetable garden, ginseng, and a beautiful Hosta garden.

We purchased a new house last fall, planted Rhubarb and Tulips before winter and are ready to landscape our entire lot.

I apologize in advance for all the questions we are about to throw your way.

o

Mayberry, I always compose in Word and copy it onto the GW site. I have SO much trouble. I cant tell you how many times I did that scream in the past when I tried composing right on the siteand lost it! When I was just trying to load this thread a little while ago I suddenly started getting "user identification failed!" And earlier, when I was trying to preview a short post, I got the little pink popup that Ive been getting for a few months now, the one that moves around on the screen. I usually just hit refresh when it comes up, but this time it was a "preview," and refresh would have lost my post! I hit back, and it worked this time, but sometimes the post "goes away" when I do that. As always, I had the post on Word, so I could have copied it and tried again if I had needed to. And to get past the "User Identification" problem, I had to sign off AOL and sign back on! It gets VERY frustrating to use GW sometimes! (And nowwhen I log in, I have to X out of 3 separate boxes before I can enter my screen name and password, and then I need to X out of another one before itll complete logging me in! VERY frustrating!)

Thanks for coming to tell us about yourself, and Im glad you finally got it to work! I recommend always composing in Wordjust to be safe! And I have an even cheaper source for seed! Ill be bringing some of my different collected seed to the swapand possibly others will be bringing collected or left over seed too. Be sure you check them out!

Welcome again, Muddy. I think youll find lots of good advice around here as you transition from good, rich Indiana soil, to poor, leanto say the leastColorado soil. But all of us around here gardensome flowers, some veggies, and many, bothso it can definitely be done. I have a question! When you planted your rhubarb, did you amend the soil with a LOT of organic matter? If not, I recommend digging it up, amending the soil, and replanting it. I planted one when I first moved into this house and had way too much to do to take time improving the soil, so it was planted in mostly clay. Last summer, after 3 failed years where it went to seed almost as soon as it started growing, I finally dug it up and replaced most of the soil where it was planted with my homemade compost. Its just coming up for this year, but I have high hopes for it this yearand in coming years.

We welcome your questions, so come let us know whenever you need helpand come participate is all our other threads too. The more the merrier!

So far weve had 41 oldies and 31 newbies sign in this year! Its not too late! Come let us know youre here!

Skybird

o

Hello everybody,

I am charlene's neighbor. some of you met I met at last years spring swap.

I have the gardening bug from my mother, but Minnesota gardening when I was a kid is quite a bit different than gardening here.

I am mostly a veggie grower although I have a small flower garden area with some autumn joy sedum, iris, tulips, hastas and herbs. It recently is being taken over by strawberries.

My veggie garden is starting out well this year, I have heritage raspberries, everbearing strawberries, asparagus and currents and 2 apple trees. It has been a n adventure the past 6 years, somethings do well and others not so good, but each year better than the last. I have recently been working on row covers and hoop house type structures.

My biggest questions are related to watering and early/ late planting.

I will try to make the swap. Anyone wanting rhubarb roots to plantlet me know or just rhubarb for cooking. I can cut some, it is knee high already. I also have raspberries shooting up all over the place. Lilac shoots are also easy to come by, mostly single flower lavendar, but I also have a double blossom white.

I look forward to this gardening year...

o

Hi TequilaGirl,

Thanks for coming to sign in here and telling us a little about yourself. Let us know when you have those questions about watering and planting. Theres always somebody around here who can help.

Im going to transfer the part of your post about what you could bring to the swap over to the thread where were listing the things we have. You might want to check that thread, the picture thread, in a couple days to see if anybody has asked for any of the things you have.

Glad to have you here on RMG,
Skybird

o

Hello everyone,
I guess I should introduce myself. Ive been lurking for a couple of weeks. I live in Fountain, southeast of Colorado Springs. My DH is in the Army. This is our second time in CO. Ive learned to garden in several climates. We are from Texas and plan to go back in a couple of years when DH finally retires.
We moved into a rental home last Nov. There isnt really a place to garden, the yard is sloped and landscaped with grass and a border of rocks. The rocks drive me nuts because they all slide down and I have to rake them back up. I noticed there is a community garden not far from our neighborhood so I googled and contacted them. I finally heard back in April and was offered a plot. Yay! Im so excited. I havent had a garden since I left Washington state in 2002. When we lived here 15 years ago, our rental house had a huge backyard so I was able to garden to my hearts content and I had raised beds with hoop covers in WA and a nice long flower bed along the front and side of our quarters.
I was unprepared to garden so Ive been scrambling to get things planned and ordered and seeds started. Im going to do a raised bed square foot garden. DH is deployed so Im doing most of this myself. He will be home for his R&R leave in about a week and will help get the soil mix and help me fill the beds. I also will have him build me some of those SWC (self watering containers) Ive seen instructions for on the internet. I want to have a few plants handy in the backyard, esp the herbs. I have a couple of mostly flat places that will get enough sun for those. I have just enough space between the front porch railing and the porch edge to put some long window boxes filled with flowers and I have some hanging baskets as well for my flower fix.
My pa-pa was a cotton farmer in west TX and my me-ma always planted a huge garden, she planted enough for 4 families. I remember having to go help hoe during the summer when I was a kid. I hated it. We also went to help with harvest and canning each summer. Didnt care so much for shelling black eyed peas and snapping green beans, etc. but now I am so glad I had that experience.
Last year we still lived on Ft Carson so I bought my canning veggies at the farmers market. I made pickles, pickled carrots, pickled okra and jalapenos. DH made a huge pot of his salsa and we canned that too. Im looking forward to growing what I need for all this and more this year.

o

Hi Everyone,
Better late than never, I guess. The old Cat Lady is still among the living. We live in Aurora, near I-70 and Chambers Road. I'm the one with the big daylily garden.
The weather hasn't cooperated this year. Seems like everytime I have a day off, it rains or snows. I'm really behind with the garden work. Looks like I have as many thistles as I do daylilies. Groan!!!
Our Open Garden will be on July 18th this year. Mark your calenders and try to stop by.
Karen

o

Tue, May 12, 09 at 16:05

Hello to all the new folks (and the used ones too :)!

o

Hi Everyone! I'm Becky,a newbie I live in Colorado Springs just east of the airport, in a neighborhood in the middle of nowhere. I am originally from Ohio so I'm learning to garden all over again. My husband is in the Army and we bought our house last year around this time and he deployed a month later so we didn't do a whole lot in our garden last year, mostly just removing dead things some soil amendments (digging out 9 inches or so of clay ew) and planting anuals so we could plan the garden together this year! We both grew up on farms so we love being back in the dirt. Right now we have a lot of hand-me down plants from neighbors and friends and most are doing quite well. we pick up plants here and there when we are out when he takes me to the nurserys for "therepy" when the army gets me down. I'm glad i found this forum so i can get advice and just share horror stories with people who get it!

o

Hey lindy-loo, I have celiac disease and have been living gluten free for at least 15 years. Even my husband and kids are surviving although they have to put up with my dietary needs. It can be done! But I know when you first learn about it, the adjustment can be a drag. Is there a Whole Foods in CO Springs? They have lots of stuff. If you have questions feel free to email me privately at 2daigs@comcast.net .

Steviewonder

o

hlollar and steviewonder, thanks for the encouragement. I am actually doing very well and I am thankful to have to diagnosis so now I know what is wrong with me and I have a fairly easy solution for fixing it. I was absolutely miserable before getting diagnosed. Jan until April are a complete blur because of how much the disease was affecting me. We do have a Whole Foods and it has become my new best friend. I was originally put off by the price, but if you are a savvy shopper it's not as bad. I really appreciate the email offer, steviewonder. If I am having a hard time with something I might take you up on it.

I am just glad I love and know how to garden so I can enjoy by new diet even more with so many fresh veggies and fruits. I plan to grow as many things as possible to help cut down on costs. This disease is good in that it really makes you eat a lot healthier than I was previously. Thank you again!

o

Hi all! I've been lurking here for about a year, just soaking it all in. I love this site! I live near Fort Lupton. I moved here 20 years ago to a very run down 1948 farmhouse on 2 acres. I moved here because I have lawn ornaments (horses) and wanted a place I could afford and keep them on my property. The site is clay (concrete). There were and are a couple of big old elms and not much else here but weeds. Until about 8 years ago I had never gardened. We decided to reseed the small area of grass with fescue and it worked great. Then I decided a lilac bush might look good. It went from there. I got kind of obsessed with trees and ordered bare root bur oaks, hackberry's, honeylocusts and apples. The horses and dogs really enjoyed destroying most of them before I got smart and started fencing around them. I moved up to potted trees. In the last 4 years I've planted a Kentucky Coffee, 2 Washington Hawthorns, 2 Maples, a Patmore Ash, a Linden (deceased), Red oak (also deceased) 2 Weeping Willows and 6 Austrian Black pines, 5 of which I planted too close to the leeching field. They are not happy! We are in a really windy site, so this spring I planted a windbreak with 50 lilacs and 30 Rocky Mountain Junipers (seedlings). I put in a vegetable garden last year and am in the process of setting up raised beds for the tomatoes. I started collecting Old Garden Roses the last couple of years and have 4 surviving this year. I am learning so much about soil amendment through trial and error. Ok, lots of error! I'm so glad for this site and the opportunity learn and share. Thanks for the warm welcome!

o

Hello All,

I am a "come-back" gardener from South East Idaho. I love it here, and have lived in Idaho for the past 23 years. I grew up in Nothern California, so this is much different than where I knew gardening. But, I have been here long enough to call it home, and I love the gardens here in the Rockies!!

I was in a car wreck 4 1/2 years ago that left me with a broken neck, and not able to garden like I once did. My husband and I, along with three teenagers, just bought a home in SE Idaho on 1/2 an acre with huge trees and a lovely lawn. That was it. No flowers, no flower beds, no garden. That was okay for a while, during re-couperation and physical therapy, but now I am ready to try it again.

My wonderful husband built me a raised bed garden and I love it. It is unique in design, (he is very clever:) and I am really excited to start up again. It still causes pain to sit and look at my plants, but how can you not???

I just love watching the seeds pop. I am very much the "constant gardener". I never leave it alone;)

Here is my garden:

Photobucket

As you can see, I can't fit it all in one shot. I am standing on my pile of new (but rocky) topsoil. Don't tell anyone - I am not supposed to do those kinds of things. But, at 41 yrs old, who's gonna tell me no.

Here is a ground-level shot. I especially love the corners, they are soooo unique.
Photobucket

To the left is where my corn and pumpkins are gonna go. I just wish we could get it done so I can plant them. I don't think they will be knee-high by the 4th of July if I don't hurry. Idaho can be very finiky when it comes to weather. I am at the mercy of my son, he lifts and carries everything for me.

Oh, what do you think of the red stain on the closest small container (those two will be strawberries soon)??? I think I like it.

Well, this is a great forum, I didn't even know was here. I am usually over in the Square Foot Garden Forum, so I am sure I will see some of you there as well.

Happy Gardening!!

g

o

Thu, May 21, 09 at 19:55

Wow, gabby, that's gorgeous! Good for you and your husband, continuing your garden even after your accident. That's really great.

I have a couple friend in Idaho and they both garden. It sounds even wilder there than it is down here along the Front Range!

o

Another newbie here, just bought my first house in the Sloan's Lake neighborhood of Denver, just West of downtown. I'm in the process of rehabbing the lawn (started a thread recently in lawn care), and also planted a new garden in a 4X8 raised bed. 3 tomato plants, cucumber, jalepeno, red bell, cilantro, basil, and onions. I'd be interested to hear any tips that anyone has for gardening here. Last year I had a tomato plant in a big pot on my apartment patio and it got me started with this forum.

o

Hello all. Just joined Rocky Mtn group though being in Albuquerque, I know we are not truly in the RM's. This area was once considered a Chaparral, but then the cement trucks rolled in and road crews did their work and now it's just hot and the grasses are gone. I live about a mile from the Rio Grande and have clay and silt alkaline soil. The water is so hard you can almost see the salts. I read a blurb somewhere saying that the only way to counter-act all the clay in this soil would be to bring in some sand. Now that person doesn't know that clay and sand are a great mix for adobe bricks. I hope he was being facetious.

About me: I am at about 5800 feet and am basically a newbie at gardening. I've grown a tomato plant or two, but last year was my first REAL attempt at veggies and flowers. I have three small beds of native plants for flowers and space allocated to green chili, peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, butternut, basil, watermelon, cucumbers, lots of beans (trying bush and pole). Besides spending time fighting off squash bugs, I have been working on building a truly hot compost pile--it works! I would like to get involved with the row for hunger project. Also experimenting with ditch irrigation rather than city water. I am Recently "retired" though I think of it more as a change in careers from administration to backyard farming. I don't spend much time at the keyboard...maybe once a week, so I guess I would consider myself a lurker. But your knowledge is invaluable and greatly appreciated.

o

Mon, Jun 29, 09 at 19:31

Hi GM,

Thanks for signing in here, and welcome to RMG! When you have enough time, I hope youll come join us in more of the postswe welcome everyones advice and opinions around here.

Since BP linked this thread for you, Ive started a second Whos Here in 2009 thread. This one was just getting too long and taking too long to load, so Im going to copy your post over there so more people will see it.

Were glad youre here,
Skybird

o
Attention! Attention! Attention!

Mon, Jun 29, 09 at 19:36

HELLO EVERYBODY WHO COMES HERE TO POST!

Because this thread was getting so long, Ive started a second Whos Here thread for all the newbies that have been showing up recently and for the oldies who never got around to signing in on the first thread! So if youve made it this far and are planning to enter and sign in, please go to Whos Here in 2009 Part II, which is linked below, and tell us youre here. Thatll make it faster and easier for everybody to read.

PLEASE DONT POST HERE ANYMORE! GO TO THE NEW THREAD LINKED BELOW!

Here is a link that might be useful: Whos Here in 2009 Part II

o

I'm here in the Chicago area, zone 6. Working on way too many hot peppers to list, tomatoes, onions, rasberries, zucchini, radish, bok choy, brussels sprouts, leaf and bib lettuce, spinach, watermelon, blueberries, peas and so on and so forth. The bugs got to my apple trees early on so no apples for me this year however the cherries are always abundant. I've been using these forums for awhile but just recently signed up.

Grow to live!

o

I'm happily jumping in to this forum with my dirty feet, stained knees and green hands!! I have gardened on and off for most of my 50 odd years. My dad had me planting before I was 8 years old. My first adventure was Hollyhocks and they grew taller than me. At the time I was quite short so ANYTHING was taller than me. :)

I live in upstate NY in the delightful and historic city of Canandaigua which is located at the North end of Canandaigua Lake in the Finger Lakes region. I believe we are Zone 6a or 5b.

My current loves are Lilacs, Peonies, Breaded Iris, Asiatic Lilies, Daylilies and I'll stop there because the whole list is long! We have three container grown blueberries and we have a "soiless" tomato container that is far outcropping the garden and potted tomatoes!!

When I retire in a few years (hopefully) I plan on going through the Master Gardener program at the NY State Cooperative Extension Office in our county. A great education and opportunity to teach the joys of gardening!!

Dig deep, plant with love and enjoy the fruits of your labor!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here