Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

Peppers 2013

highalttransplant
11 years ago

Well, it's that time again. Even though I won't have as much free time as previous seasons, I couldn't seem to cut my growlist down. In fact, it might even be longer than last year, haha!

The first seeds were sown 12-29-12.

Should have sown these in November or December. The germination time is 3 - 4 weeks, and the DTM is 95 - 130, so they need a BIG headstart if they are going to produce anything their first season.

Today, I sowed all of the chinense and baccatums.

So far, I have 41 different varieties of annums still to sow, and I'll be sowing two of each kind. I'll wait at least another month before I do these though, since they germinate and grow a lot faster. I'll post the list once they're sown.

Anyone else started any peppers yet??? Or am I the only crazy one around here?

BTW, I'll be posting the thread for this year's Pick-A-Peck of Peppers Seed Swap soon, so keep your eye out if you are interested in expanding your pepper seed inventory.

Bonnie

Comments (6)

• david52 Zone 6
    11 years ago

I mentioned my um....er... 'Hybridization Experiments' where bunching 4 or 5 varieties of peppers together two years ago, than saving the seeds and replanting them last year, led to a um....er....'wonderful' array of pepper varieties. I saved two plants with prolific 6" long, 2 inch dia, thick walled fruit - identical in appearance but one has heat and the other doesn't. They're potted up in the greenhouse, and I'm waiting for a bit warmer weather so the snow won't stay on top the translucent roof.

I'll be making cuttings and starting off a few dozen wee ones.

• gjcore
    11 years ago

Wow Bonnie you sure get going early! I'll probably wait another month or so even then this year is going to be a bit tricky for me because my indoor grow area is presently full with herbs for the plant sale. Lots of rosemary, thyme, tarragon and mints. I need another coldframe, indoor grow area or possibly a greenhouse in the next month or so. I have not even got to the point of sorting through my seed collection or catalogs yet.

David52, very cool that you're overwintering some pepper plants.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I tried overwinter a few plants last year, but not sure the battle of the aphids was worth it. When I brought all the container plants into the garage in the fall, I had intentions of selecting a few to bring indoors, but instead they all died a slow and painful death from neglect.

If I don't get a harvest from the Manzanos this season, I will definitely keep at least one of each color over the winter, and try for a harvest in '14. From what I've read, they like the cool nights we have here, but will take forever to set fruit. I have tried some fresh ones before that someone sent me, and they are worth the effort. Kind of thick and juicy, like an Alma Paprika, but with a good bit more heat.

• david52 Zone 6
    11 years ago

Aphids I got. My pepper plants are getting a regular weekly spray with soapy water.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, the 2013 pepper season is officially underway!

So the first sprout of the season is Condor's Beak, a purple habanero type pepper. Here's what it looked liked yesterday.

I also see some tails starting to poke out of a couple of the Manzano seeds. Pretty excited about those. It's only been 2 weeks, and I have read that it can take 3 to 4 to get germination.

• margaretmontana
    11 years ago

I resisted until the 17th and planted a bunch of peppers, some petunias and some brussel sprouts. I haven't been able to get good brussel sprouts the past 2 years with cold springs. A friend said try planting them in January instead so I am trying that. They are in a covered starter tray on a heat mat so shouldn't have any problem. I grow jalapeno and Ahaheim for my pepper jelly, a number of bell peppers as that is my hubby's choice and the last couple of years have grown the mini bells in orange which he really likes. Last year I grew 1 cherry pepper and I ended moving the plant into the house in a pot to get it to ripen. I pickled them so will have to try them one day. 2 years ago I grew a lot of banana and Hungarian wax and pickled them.