Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple tree on steriods....need advice

Posted by sweetmagnoliame UT (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 26, 09 at 0:57

In the summer of 2007, many of you gave me excellent advice and links to great resouces for learning to properly prune an apple tree. Thank you! That fall, with a city clean up on the way, I threw out the advice and got out the pruners. If you've been bitten by the pruning bug, you know that a little here leads to a little more there, etc.

Long story short, after removing more than 30% of the tree, at the wrong time of year, last summer I had a fruitless, sucker-producing machine.

Now that I've created the overenergized state, what do I do? The pruning bug is telling me to take off what must be 50 tall, vertical suckers and get back to the great shape I originally created! I expect that's NOT the right thing to do!

HELP!

Thanks,

Mags

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple tree on steriods....need advice

after removing more than 30% of the tree, at the wrong time of year, last summer I had a fruitless, sucker-producing machine...Now that I've created the overenergized state, what do I do?

Ouch.

OK, so you have a pruning reaction. Don't rush to correct it all at once, you will do more harm than good.

It's hard to give advice on how to correct a shocked tree without actually being there; I'm an arborist and I usually tell folks not to do anything and I'll be over there to do it, and have them watch me.

Now. Suckers arise from the roots - you almost certainly have a tree grafted onto different rootstock. If there are suckers coming out of the ground or below the graft, cut every one of these out. If this is the case, your tree is in severe shock.

Water sprouts arise out of the trunk or large branches, from latent buds. These all need to be removed, but not all at once. If you have 3-4-5 branches arising around your pruning cuts, this is a sign you removed too much wood; many of these arose from latent buds too, and should be removed, but not all at once.

Bottom line: you should correct this deficiency over two to three years. The strongest water sprouts (tallest) should be removed first, so the wind doesn't break them and expose the tissue to pathogens. Make proper cuts on these as well so callus can form.

Good luck, be patient.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here