Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Protecting seedlings from wind.

Posted by christyinco 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 26, 11 at 10:12

Last year I had struggles protecting my little seedlings from the massive wind out here in the plains. Any suggestions for protection this year? I'm on my second year of gardening and do not have raised beds - only rows.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Protecting seedlings from wind.

Hoops and fabric. I was just outside struggling with the wind and plastic over the cabbage.

Dan

o

I've used garden benches laid with the backs on the ground and put bricks and blocks on for weight. I have some big heavy crocks and flower pots that I've turned over and lined up in a row to build temporary wind walls with. I have stacked landscape timbers and retaining wall block protecting some of my favorite roses now. The trick is to make sure your wind break doesn't blow over and squash your plants.
You do get creative when it comes to protecting favorite plants from the wind.
Barb

o

I use 5 gal buckets with the bottom cut out. Some times it is necessary to weight them with something like a 2 by 4 or better yet, a steel fence post or steel pipe. Cut two little notches to keep the pipe from rolling off.
In cold weather, place an old hub cap on top.
My standard saying is "put a bucket over them and a rock on the bucket".
KennyP in NE Colorado.

o

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 26, 11 at 21:48

Maybe a natural windbreak? A few rows of rye if planted in September would be tall enough to deflect some of the wind along the ground in the spring.

o

• Posted by dsieber z5 Lakewood CO (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 27, 11 at 10:37

I have had good luck with straw bails.

o

I think I'm going to go with fabric and hoops (will help with frost as well). Do you think that this type of fabric would work? It says it's good for temps down to 28 degrees and helps with wind/heat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabric

o

The weight is fine, with a 6' width you can cover a row only about 3' wide, as you have height and extra at the ends (to secure) to consider. Better is the 7' widths, altho Nick's in Aurora sells it in a 10x10 bolt (no shipping and local business, too).

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here