Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beetle-killed pine bark

Posted by david52 z5CO (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 11:51

I grow peppers and eggplant in containers, the major cost is potting soil. So last year I experimented filling the bottom 1/4 - 1/3 of my containers with bark off of beetle-killed pine trees, which I get for firewood. I probably saved a couple hundred bucks by incorporating the bark.

At the end of the season, I just snip off the plants and stack the containers/soil in a sheltered spot. I've started to dump some of these out, shake the dirt out and throw out the roots, start the process of getting ready for next season.

Pretty interesting to see the bark - they are just covered with rootlets, going into every crevice and bug hole in the bark, creating a very large, almost solid mass. So I started looking into this, and it turns out that in the SE where they grow pine for pulp, they successfully grow peppers in containers with just composted pine bark.

So now I'm busy using a small prybar to slip the bark off of my firewood, breaking up the pieces with my hands, collecting all kinds of the stuff, figuring I can use it for the main bulk of my container mix as well as incorporating it into the garden soil.

So, to get to the point, given that there is some 200 million acres of beetle killed pine in the Rockies, I thought I might point out that this is actually a pretty good resource for us gardeners. The bark I'm using is almost falling off the wood, its starting to decompose, the beetles are long gone but other bugs have started to work on the cambium and so on, lots of fungus. Looks like it may do some significant good.

So maybe the next time you're up in the mountains, take along a bag or two and fill it up. Wear gloves.

This post was edited by david52 on Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 19:02

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beetle-killed pine bark

We had a couple of trees that had to be removed because of beetle kill but the company suggested chipping them. I have a couple of hills of 2 year old chipped pine as a result that is just sitting out there, decomposing. Is that safe to use on anything?

o

If it were me, I'd incorporate it in the garden beds as a mulch, or use it in containers mixed with regular potting soil.

o

Thanks, I'll do that!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here