Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
singcharlene

Forcing Bulbs

singcharlene
14 years ago

I bought some tulips and daffodils that were never planted in the fall. They've been in my garage since Sept/Oct which stays pretty cold all winter but not freezing. Can I just pot them up and bring them in? I hate to have them go to waste.

Any advice you have is appreciated! Thanks...

Charlene

Comments (2)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    14 years ago

Hi Charlene,

Your bulbs have definitely been chilled long enough, but to effectively force them in pots, they need to be potted up BEFORE theyÂre chilled. While theyÂre being chilled, they grow the roots they need to be able to bloom when you bring them in. (ThatÂs why you plant "spring" bulbs in the fall! They root overwinter, even when it seems way to cold to us and we donÂt think theyÂre doing anything)

"Spring flowering bulbs usually require a rooting period of about 12 to 15 weeks at temperatures between 41-48ÌF in order to produce a good root system, which is essential if they are to be "forced" into flower." From: http://www.bulb.com/templates/dispatcher.asp?page_id=21508

I think you might still be able to get them to bloom, I just donÂt know WHEN theyÂll actually bloom! A couple things you could try!

Plant them in pots now and stick them outside on the north side somewhere, or somewhere where theyÂll stay in the shade all day. Be sure you securely cover the pots, or, out where you live, some varmints will very likely dig up and eat the bulbsÂand even if they donÂt actually eat the daffodil bulbs, theyÂll probably dig them up to check them out before they discover what they have! IÂd leave them in the shade till you see green growth starting, then move them into the sun.

Or, if your soil isnÂt frozen where you want to plant them, you could just plant them in the ground (lots of sun) and see what they do this year. IÂm guessing some or most of them will bloomÂprobably later than they normally would, and even if they donÂt bloom well this year, theyÂll be in the ground, will at least grow enough foliage to recharge for next year, and will be where you want them so you wonÂt need to worry about getting more and trying to find time to do it this fall. If you plant them in the ground, it would probably be a good idea to thickly mulch them with leaves or something for the first few weeks to keep them cold while they start to root out.

Below is a pretty good site with info for forcing bulbs.

Let us know how whatever you decide to do turns out!

Skybird

P.S. If you plant them in pots, after they bloom continue to grow them in the pots (watering only when the soil is almost all the way dry) until the foliage dies down, then store them either in the pots (dry soil) or dig and store the bulbs somewhere dark and cool until fall and then plant them in the ground.

Here is a link that might be useful: Forcing Bulbs

• sherri09
    14 years ago

Charlene,

I did the same thing last year. I forgot about a bunch of tulip bulbs in the fall & found them in February. I tried all 3 ways since I didn't know what would work if anything. I put most in the ground, plus some in pots both in & outdoors. The ones that made it in the ground came up fine. Of course we had a really mild winter last year, so I think that helped & I could easily dig in the ground at that time. I put some in a pot left covered in the garage, then just put them outside after they sent shoots up & these came up pretty well too. The ones left outdoors just ended up being a treat for the squirels. Skybird is right they need to be covered!!

Here's a picture of the ones I planted in the ground in Feb last year. My first time posting a picture, so hopefully you can see it:) I don't have the date stored on my photos, but according to the order of my other pictures they were blooming right before the Spring Swap which seems about right.

Good luck!!