Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treebarb

Let it snow!

treebarb Z5 Denver
11 years ago

North of Denver we're getting hammered. The wind is blowing the snow straight sideways. Visibility is down to about nothing. Mama Nature says, "Have a seat!"

Cars are crawling by. I'm so glad not to have to travel today.
I'm getting ready to make a pot of chili and rifle through my seed box.

What are you up to today? Stay safe and warm!

Barb

Comments (12)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    11 years ago

It's about time!

I got about an inch really fast about 11:00 last nite and then it pretty much stopped! This morning about 6:00 I didn't have noticeably more and I thought the whole thing had fizzled again! But by about 9:00 it got going really well again and, like you, it's snowing and BLOWING like crazy ever since then. With the wind there's no good way to figure out how much, but I'd take a wild guess at about 4" by now. Supposed to keep up all afternoon--and, oh, how I hope they're right!

Really glad it's Sunday so very few folks need to get out in it. If they're right that it should be ending by early evening the plows should have time to get at least the main roads cleared off pretty well by morning--though I'm really glad I don't have to go anywhere!

Today I'm mostly watching the birds! I've never seen so many juncos in my yard--and they're really easy to count on top of the snow. Got all 8 feeders filled up yesterday and have mobs of house finches and have already seen a couple chickadees and a flicker along with the others--and a juvenile blackbird. Need to open my window a crack so I can utilize my blackbird dispersal system when it--or more of them--come back! I've never seen juncos anywhere but on the ground, but today I saw one, an Oregon or a pink-sided junco on top of the suet basket and then saw it on the thistle sock. Will be interesting to see what else shows up, and with everything covered with snow there should be plenty of birds out looking for lunch and dinner! Barb, keep an eye on the ground under your feeders for some juncos!

Besides the birds I got a vat of homemade chicken soup up out of the freezer and am thawing it right now. Seems like a good day for hot chicken soup!

Guess I'll be out at some point shoveling the white stuff, tho one or the other of the neighbors seems to have been taking pretty good care of me in that department! But it really is good exercise and I am planning to go out and do some of my own shoveling this time!

Mostly I'm just sitting here watching the much-needed soft white stuff come down--and BLOW!

Skybird

• gardenarts
    11 years ago

Really snowing and blowing here in Arvada. My better half went to the grocery store this morning and the roads were so icy he slid into a curb. Hopefully, not too much damage to the car, but will find out after a trip to the shop. Don't go out if you don't have to!

We're planning to make up a batch of chili too and will watch the Daytona 500. I'm going to be transplanting my tomato and pepper starts to larger pots.

• billie_ladybug
    11 years ago

I'm staying home! Hot cocoa and turkey are on the menu. Picked up 100# of taters from a roadside vendor yesterday while I was out, so lots of mashed taters are going with it.

Playing with the garden (inside). Repotted some of my indoor plants last week and checked all their waterers today. Now playing with the onions and others that I have up. Thinking I will start cauliflower and some herbs today. (If I can find pots for them as most of them are in the barn and it is way too cold and windy to open it today.)

Billie

• mstywoods
    11 years ago

We had about 3-4 inches when we got up this morning, and it's been steadily snowing all day. We are probably up to about 8" by now.

Here's a pic of our neighbors tree taken from our front window, about 8am this morning:

and then later the wind started kicking up and swirling snow everywhere:

So I've been getting my house cleaning done as well as the laundry. But also made a batch of Hot Toddy Sorbet ;) My daughter heard this confection was made by a gourmet ice cream shop in Tennessee and Ohio, and I found the recipe by internet searching for it - so sounded like the perfect day to make it and I had all the ingredients in my pantry! I'll let you know how it tastes - it's chilling in the freezer right now.

Marj

This post was edited by mstywoods on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 18:18

• gjcore
    11 years ago

Yesterday was a good day for a pot of chili. I brought mine over to the Dry Dock for the chili cookoff and won the silver medal.

Other than that about 12 inches of snow here in Aurora. Just finished digging out the coldframes. There's something odd about shoveling snow out of the garden but I seem to have a system that works.

• WxDano
    11 years ago

I didn't know Dry Dock had a chili cookoff, else I'd have checked it out with the kid & reported back on Greg's chili skills ;o) . Our snow had a nice moisture content to it as well, so very happy for the totals.

• david52 Zone 6
    11 years ago

We finally had a day in the 50's yesterday, and huge swaths of snow disappeared. Looks like we're on the southern edge of this next storm, with rain for us, hopefully snow in the mountains/watershed.

• billie_ladybug
    11 years ago

David,

Here too. We hit high 60's or even 70 yesterday and most of the 6 foot drift sitting on my garden. Today's storm brought ice, lots of ice with some snow mixed in. Welcome the moisture but the commute is another story. Took me 3 hours to get home tonight. afraid how long it will take to get back to work.

Billie

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    11 years ago

It was up to 67 in my backyard yesterday! Today dawned sunny and in the 30's, then in early afternoon it got dark out and started snowing like crazy! I got a little over 3" in less than an hour--and an hour after that the sun was back out again! Supposed to be back up to 60 on Wednesday and Thursday--and then is sounds like we could possibly get dumped on again over the weekend! Hope so! I got a good 8" in the last one--all gone with yesterday's warmth and wind, but we could definitely use another Good One!

No ice here, Billie! Good luck with your drive tomorrow,
    Skybird

• david52 Zone 6
    11 years ago

The high school track season has started, so I think it safe to assume that where and when my daughter has a meet, it will rain/sleet/snow/blow.

This weekend is in Moab. And yup, right on schedule......

• billie_ladybug
    11 years ago

Well it wasn't as bad getting to work as it was getting home the night before. Most of the snow has melted off. We're supposed to get hit pretty good this weekend as well. Im going to pot up some of the starts in the backroom & get some more started while i watch the snow from the comfort of my livingroom. So glad i won't have to commute until Monday. Hopefully the road crews will have it somewhat open.
    So far my onions, broccoli & cauliflower are doing great. Have to get serious this weekend though cuz im way behind according to my calendar.
    Billie

• digit
    11 years ago

Are you getting serious, Billie?

The day you wrote that, the last of the December++ snow melted and was officially gone from my yard! It has been aaalll the way up to 51o so far this year . . . maybe the thermometer will hit the 52o predicted for tomorrow.

Lots of onion seedlings are above the soil mix in their flats in the greenhouse.

Snapdragons have been my companions here in the south window for a couple days. I think, a container of pepper seedlings may join them in the sun tomorrow. Then, it will rain . . .

Steve