Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hardy fruit trees

Posted by eatsivy 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 22, 11 at 13:30

Hi all, I've been doing some research on hardy fruit trees.

I've narrowed my ideas down to a few varieties of apples, pears, and cherries I'm considering. I'm in zone four in the rocky mountains of Idaho.

It is my understanding that while some fruit trees may survive and grow in very cold winter conditions, they still may bear fruit sporadically due to cold snaps in the spring (killing the flower/fruiting buds when the tree is setting fruit). I'm here to ask if people in very cold climates have had good luck with any particular fruit trees. Perhaps some varieties of fruit trees flower later and thus are less susceptible to frosts in the spring.

I'm thinking that perhaps my best bet is to try and grow a sour pie cherry tree like a Bali, or Montmorecy.

Also considering these pear varieties - Ure, Summer, and Nova.

Apples on my short list include:
Freedom, Red Baron, Norland, Carrol, and Keepsake.

Does anyone out there have success growing productive fruit trees (trees that bear fruit most seasons) in zone 4 (or even zone 3)?

Thanks, would love to hear about how others are doing growing fruit trees in these cold, Rocky Mountains.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hardy fruit trees

me again - just thought I'd mention that I posted this on the "Orchards" forum too :) Will also post on some other forums that might be appropriate (northern gardening, etc.)

o

Montana State University's Extension has some resources that might be useful, including free pamphlets on plum varieties for zones 3 and 4 and apple varieties for Montana (though I haven't read that one, so it may be more applicable to the state's eastern plains).

Just checked the Idaho extension page - extension.uidaho.edu - and they have a number of pamphlets in the gardening section on fruit trees (at > Homes & Gardens > Fruits and Nuts). "Growing tree fruits in short season gardens" seems right up your alley. Again, may or may not be applicable to the mountains.

I'd also expect that both the MT and ID extensions would be open to a phone call.

Ian

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruit pamphlets

o

As it is one of the missions of the Extension to help home gardeners, I'm certain they'll take a phone call. I'd do that as the locals there have the experience and can suss out what it is you want and match it with where you are.

Dan

o

itallian dwarf plum. Does great in Colorado. I have a galla apple i planted 2 years ago (2 of them)one died, the other no signs of fruit, may be still too young. Cant give you much info on the apples.

o

Very helpful advice. Thank you for the link to the pamphlets. Thanks also for the suggestions to call my local ag extension office - good common sense idea (why didn't I think of that:). Plums sound intriguing for cold climates - I'll be looking into them. Thanks all, Chris

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here