Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
frost tolerant tomatoes

Posted by markmahlum (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 28, 10 at 13:50

My new Gurney's catalogue offers a tomato variety named "cold set". They say it is frost tolerant and in a trial withstood 18 degrees. That's difficult to believe. My early girls commit suicide if they even see snow on the mountains to the north. That might be a variety for areas like mine where the last frost is often late June and the first killing frost is mid September. (Last year it was August 8.)

Anyone tried these or other frost tolerant varieties? I assume they set fruit at lower temps as well?

Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: frost tolerant tomatoes

I have a hard time even imagining a tomato/eggplant/pepper/Solanaceae family-member surviving any kind of frost, Mark.

Stupice is generally considered a very early, cold-tolerant tomato. My DW made fun of it and me, tho'. Yeah, she called it my "Stupid" tomato because nearly all of the fruits were so malformed.

I'll have Legend tomatoes again this year. They are a "parthenocarpic" variety. I guess that means that they set fruit without fertilization. They did real well setting a large crop very early. It might not surprise you to learn that the seed I saved didn't germinate well.

Bloody Butcher has been in my garden for about 4 years now. It is a real nice, flavorful little tomato. There are lots of fruit, also. It ripens early and it is said to be cold-tolerant.

Now, I will wait to see if anyone has had a tomato plant survive freezing . . .

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here