Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering Methods

Posted by btaylor9 CO (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 15:13

I've been dabbling in vegetable gardening for the past few years and I just want to get some feedback regarding everyone's watering methods. My garden was terrible last year and I think it was related to a sloppy watering schedule. My garden is approximately 300 sq. ft. and not a raised bed. I was thinking about going to a soaker-hose under mulch. Any other methods you'd recommend? If it helps, i'm located in downtown Colorado Springs.

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering Methods

btaylor9,

I garden about 40 miles due east of you and I have tried quite a few things. My favorites are: soaker hoses on a timer (until something breaks a hole in them) and osculating sprinklers. (also on a timer) The only time the sprinklers don't work well is when it is windy and/or when the plants get really tall. I received a timer for mother's day last year that works on battery power. It helps with the lack of time to water issue (I work two jobs and volunteer with 4-H)

Billie

o

I also use soaker hose/drip lines under mulch with timers--seems to be the only water efficient way to keep things growing in CO's arid climate.

o

I'm up in boulder but soaker hoses on a timer worked well for me last year. Make sure you mulch and water at night. Can't stress watering at night enough, so much water is wasted when you water late morning or midday. There was only one day last year where the plants started to wilt and needed a little water mid-day for me.

I've had this timer for 3 years now and it's still going strong. http://www.amazon.com/Orbit-58872N-Complete-Yard-Watering/dp/B003LY4I28/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1360419235&sr=8-7&keywords=sprinkler+timer

o

My soaker hoses under mulch on a timer worked for two years, then I started getting holes in them & became too much work to fix for 250sf of raised bed. I take a cup of coffee out in the morning to enjoy the new day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here