Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who’s Here in 2010? — Annual Role Call!

Posted by skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 1, 10 at 15:59

Welcome, everyone, to The Friendliest Little Gardening Forum in the West!

Every year we’ve been doing a Roll Call to find out who’s here, whether it’s the Regulars who post often, the Newbies that have shown up recently—that we hope will be posting often, or the Lurkers that hang out around here to read what’s going on—who we all hope will decide to venture out into the open to come post with us too.

Whichever category you fit into, please Enter and Sign In on this thread! And, Lurkers, even if you don’t plan to start posting regularly, please sign in here so we at least know you’re in the wings. The forum is just more fun when we have a better idea of who and how many people are around here.

For those of you who haven’t been around for too long, RMG is a really great, friendly and fun little community. You’ll find you can get an answer for just about any gardening type question you may have, and we often diverge off into topics on nature, birds, weather (in general), and lots of other things people come up with, sometimes only tangentially connected to gardening—and sometimes not really connected to gardening at all! So just about anything that gets a discussion going among a bunch of fun gardening folks is welcome around here! We really don’t worry too much about the formalities, as long as everything is kept friendly! The one thing we don’t take too kindly to would be if somebody tried to put somebody down for something they said, so, no dissing allowed—though I haven’t seen anybody do that around here for years—if ever!

So if you’ve just been lurking, or nervous about posting because you don’t know what kind of a response you might get—I don’t know what kind of a response you’ll get either—but I do know it’ll be friendly—and probably helpful. We don’t bite, so please come join us!

The one thing that truly unites us all is that we’re located somewhere in the high, dry, terrible soil areas of the Rocky Mountain West. Many of us wouldn’t want to live anywhere else, but the conditions can make for some really insane gardening conditions, and it helps a lot when we can all lean on each other for help and advice—and just plain old moral support when all the help and advice in the world isn’t going to fix our most recent catastrophe!

So now it’s your turn! ALL you RMG Regulars, Newbies and Lurkers, please enter and sign in!

~ Tell us approximately where you live. That can sometimes be really helpful when we’re trying to help with your questions, and it’s also fun to find out that somebody else on RMG lives close to you!

~ And tell us a little bit about yourself! Your choice! About your garden, about where you live, about yourself—or all of the above and more!

~ And, Regulars, I’m gonna do it again! Tell us something we don’t already know! Now there’s gotta be something we don’t know about you yet!

I realized when I was typing this that since I’ve been starting this thread I’ve never really said anything about me, so since I’m asking everybody else to tell us about themselves, after I get the thread started, I’ll be back with a little bit of miscellanea about me this year!

Welcome everyone!
We’re really glad you’re here!
Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Who's Here in 2009? -- Part I

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who’s Here in 2010? — Annual Role Call!

Proud to be the first to post this.
colokid here, but coloken every where else on the web. I Post a lot because every one is friendly here. I don't worry about stepping on some one ego or that they will feel hurt if I don't agree. There are some real experts here, They just don't show off.
I live East of Greeley, nothing but tomatoes. Retired long time dry land wheat and cattle farmer.
KennyP

o

Dan here, I live in SE Aurora within sight of the plains on the SW side of a slope, so we are nice and warm. We are in a McSuburb on a smallish parcel, so everything is scaled down and I have ~200 sf of perfectly sited raised veggie garden, about 10 self-watering containers for toms and peppers, a cold frame, and xeric landscaping all around, with Penstemon, Agastache, Helianthus, and Panicum featured. I will be a volunteer naturalist at Rocky Mountain Bird Observatory this season and I was a baseball pitcher until I was 35, when I tore my rotator cuff and stopped playing (& still miss it). Oh, and the first grader says I'm loco en la cabeza fairly often.

:o)

Dan

o

Heather here. Living for now in central Aurora. This will be my second year in a much-expanded container garden in my back yard, hopefully consisting of 5 kiddie wading pools, two 22-gallon trash bins, and a few 5-gallon Home Despot buckets. :)

Hoping to grow a wide variety of herbs, toms, cukes, taters, carrots, lettuce, & strawberries.

o

Skybird here! I live in Thornton, on the north end of the Denver Metro area. Like Dan, I live in a McSuburb with an "unfortunately small" backyard! I also have a veggie garden that’s about 200 sq. ft., but it is definitely not "perfectly sited!" It’s right up against the east side of a two story house, so sun is definitely not optimal, but it works for most things, and I can’t imagine EVER again being without at least some homegrown veggies, so that’s where they’re gonna grow, whether they like it or not!

But my real love is perennials, which I also don’t have enough room—or sun—for, but there too, I’ll just deal with the conditions I have. Nothing is gonna keep me from growing—or at least trying to grow—perennials! My perennials evolve in an out, depending on how well they’re doing and on whether or not I need space to put in something new that I can’t live without!

The more recent part of my "plant history" is in my bio (which hasn’t been updated since I first signed up for GW!), but, going back further, when I was a kid my parents grew perennials and sold them retail. By the time I was 10 or 11 I was out, barefoot, waiting on the perennial customers, answering their questions and digging up the field grown plants for them. By the time I left home the perennial business had evolved primarily into a mail order mum business—they had a couple hundred different varieties. They sold cuttings so it was mostly a spring business, but in fall we had way cool, huge display gardens for people to come browse to pick out what they wanted the next year—and we sold gallon plants in fall too. (I picked the flowers for my wedding bouquet from our display gardens! Managed to lose the husband many years ago, but still have the dried bouquet in a box—somewhere!)

My uncle, right next door, had commercial greenhouses where he grew cut flowers (he was a florist, which my father had also been before the depression and WW II!), and some house plants, and in spring he grew bedding plants and veggies, and I worked over there too in spring when things got hectic with the spring planting rush. Interesting factoid for the young folks around here who have never seen plants in anything but 4 or 6 packs or individual pots! The plants were all grown in open (wooden) flats (they made their own flats!), and when a customer came in and wanted, say, 3 of a particular variety of tomato, you dug three out of the flat they were growing in—with soil on the roots of course—and wrapped them up in newspaper! That’s how all the annuals and veggies were grown and sold! I loved walking around in the greenhouses, and to this day I LOVE the smell of steam sterilized soil! My brother in Illinois still grows and sells annuals and veggies in spring (something he got into after they closed the mum business), and when I got furloughed after 9-11 I went back for a couple months to help him with his spring sales. Once dirt gets into your veins, it’s there to stay! Even dialysis can’t get it back out!

So that’s my resume! Anybody here hiring??? ;-) Actually, I think I’m getting too old to work in the green industry anymore! It’s HARD work! I’ll stick to doing the hard labor in my own backyard from here on out! That way I can walk around the yard fifty times a day—just to look to see if anything has grown anymore since the last time I looked!

I love diggin’ in the dirt, and no matter what ever happens to me, I plan to keep doing it till I go up to that Great Community Garden in the Sky!

I haven’t been posting here a lot lately, but I’m really glad I found RMG, and all of you. It’s just really nice to know you’re all here for help—and friendship—when it’s wanted or needed!

Looking forward to seeing who all checks in here this year,
Skybird

o

Well, I'm still here. Or maybe I should say I'm here again after a few months away while my computer crashed. Now have a new computer and a faster connection and I'm happy to say I am typing in English (have to hand it to HP, they did a fast turnaround when I had to send back the one with the Spanish keyboard).

I live in Casper and many times I seem to be the only one chiming in from WY. I started from scratch in a new house 7 years ago (7 years already!!!!) and I'm still working on getting it right. Right now hoping my two new roses made it through the really cold spell in December and that my Princess Kay Plum will not try to bloom now that we are going through a warm spell (high 30's, low 40's last week and this). I'll check out the tree tomorrow when I go out to remove the plastic bag that is caught in the branches - yes, today was garbage day.

I'm the one and only caregiver for my mother and as her dementia increases, I am more and more housebound. It's so nice to be able to turn on the computer and connect with such a friendly community with common interests. Thanks to all of you for being there.

o

Margaret in Montana about 3 miles south of Hamilton. Have been here forever. Do Farmer's Market, have a small orchard, raised beds and 1 hoop house now as we got rid of one to downsize. My thing is tomatoes for the past 10 years and have tried more than 200 varieties and have narrowed it down to about 15 that seem to do better here. I am retired from the Extension Office and spend a lot of time volunteering at the Senior Center. I have a lot of hardy perennials that don't require a lot of care as my time goes to the garden.

I use the fruit from the apples, plums,pears, apricots, nanking cherries,currants, strawberries,elderberries,serviceberries,jalapeno's, huckleberries for jams, jellies, butters that I sell at Farmer's Market.

o

Okay, this gets harder every year ... trying to come up with something everyone doesn't already know about me!

Basically, I'm a seed saving, wintersowing, Farmer's Market wannabe, gardening maniac. I love it all - the seed sowing, the dirt digging, the harvesting, cooking with fresh herbs and veggies, canning, seed collecting/trading, even just taking pictures of the garden.

Not sure if I've shared this before, but I was a health/fitness instructor in various capacities for 20 years, but when we moved to our current home, in a town of about 2,500, I finally quit working completely, so now I'm a not so fit, stay-at-home mom of three, and have never been happier. The only thing that would make it even better would be a bigger piece of land ... and maybe a few chickens : )

Bonnie

o

I live in Broomfield, NW of Denver, with 2 kids, 1 dog, 2 cats and 1 husband. Before kids, I was an analytical chemist. Besides the kids, the science of gardening keeps me entertained.

EDIBLES:
This will be my second year with a CRAZY tomato garden. Last year I created 2 hedges of amazing tomatoes, about 23 plants per hedge; courtesy of the Florida Weave trellis. Nothing like wishing I could find 15' metal posts to support monster heirloom plants. Companion plantings, praying pantis, lady bugs and a strong spider population kept pests in check.

My youngest, the veggie picker, is now 2 and so I'll be planting some hotter peppers this year. My veggie garden is in the north end of my yard and so not ideal. Finding a space that peppers find tolerable is still a goal.

I'm always in search of culinary herbs and am hoping some wonderful Cuban oreganos return.

New to us this year: garlic (YEAH), peas in an accessible location, eggplant, zucchini and beans.

I've tried to create an edible landscape and planted many fruit plants last year- apples, cherries, grapes, strawberries and gooseberries. Here's to hoping some produce enough for us and the critters in 2010.

FLOWERS:
This will also be my second year winter sowing flowers and I highly recommend it! I had the most amazing color last year; for such a fraction of the cost. Who knew that the overwhelming task of planting hundreds of flower sprout containers would bring such joy!!

Thanks to Bonnie, seed swapping has become a new passion. I love that my "want" list is now as obnoxious as they come, since I have acquired such amazing seeds!!

Happy Gardening All -

o

Hi everyone!
Jilly Billy here from Longmont CO. No where near a master gardener just a girl with a huge passion for gardening. Happy almost spring everyone.
Jilly Billy

I dream in flowers.

o

I live in extreme SW KS and work is extreme SE CO. I grow veggies from carrots to horseradish and most everything in between. Tomatoes and peppers are my two main crops. I grow a mix of op/heirlooms and hybrid maters. Same with peppers. I usually have around 80 tomato plants and 30 pepper plants. I use cold frames, low tunnels and in the process of building a green house. My weather conditions are very similar to many on this forum but my growing season is usually some longer. So can grow varieties many of you can't. Jali and I have compared results before. I really enjoy the great members of this forum. It and the Oklahoma forum are the two I still frequent on a regular basis even if I don't post that often. Hope everyone has a great 2010 season. After two years of severe drought I'm ready for a change. Jay

o

• Posted by mtny SW MT zn 3 (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 2, 10 at 22:39

ah the lingering evenings of our long february eves...time to enjoy a tall cold one on the porch as the days heat settles into night .....oh @#$%& must have dozed off ...the wood stove needs topping off and the first tentative coyote yips are building to a more confident showing on this relativily mild mid winter night here in SW Montana Feb Plantsman magazine came today (anyone catch the article about venus fly traps in this months smithsonian)....and gardening catalogs arrive nearly every day....and the split jet stream has meant warmer temps of recent....the ice on canyon ferry resevoir was restless this last weekend when we laced our skates at the silos(just north of townsend Mt) and skated the 14 or so miles to York and then put our traction kites on and with the intermittenat assistance of the wind sailed back to the silos .... the snowpack across the region seems light according to NWS et al. but not here thankfully 79" since Oct 2(dry snow though for most part)....I would hate to see a dry summer ignite the beatle kill ....so think snow for the rest of the depositional period (ok not too much in june please)...planting delphinium seed this week.....artichokes too

o

Milehighgirl here. As the name implies I live in Denver- SW Denver. I grew up on a place that had 2 ½ acres that we always gardened. I have always lamented that I couldn’t live on that much land now that I’m a grown-up. For too many years I longed for a place where I could garden and keep ducks, and maybe a chicken or two for good measure.

The house we bought about 8 years ago had a full-shade back yard and I could never grow anything there. I’m not sure what happened, but something clicked about three years ago and I decided to take down all the trees in our back yard. (I thought it would take a couple of months). We took down 3 pine of some sort, (sorry Dan!) and 3 Hackberry, (goodness that’s hard, heavy wood!), several Black Locusts, and one large, 30-year old Black Locust that I though might kill us all. In fact, our neighbor enjoyed the evening shade it provided and did wish us dead with many explicative many times while we took it down. It took us two years to get these trees down, little by little.

In the meantime I bought fruit trees. First was a mulberry, and I figured I could fit 5 semi-dwarf apples in the space. Well THEN I discovered Gardenweb, and found out I could fit lots more trees in. So, this past fall we finally had the ground cleared and flattened and we brought in a backhoe and dug 50 holes and a long ditch for my grapes. So, I now have mulberries, pears, a Shipova, plums, apricots, cherries, peaches, apples, pawpaws, hardy figs, grapes, gooseberries, jostaberries, strawberries, and lots more I can’t think of now. This spring I will add jujube and hardy kiwi.

My family thought I was crazy, but then last spring I finally noticed a back yard we had driven past every day on the way to school for years. It was literally covered in blooms, and he also has at least 50 trees in his even smaller plot of land!

While taking down all those trees I had been planting a few tomatoes in pots every year. Well, last year something very bad happened to me and I found Gardenweb’s tomato forum. So I bought Black Krim and of course since it was such a cold, wet summer I only tasted them right before the first frost. I have had dreams of tomatoes ever since! Then I found this forum and found Skybird’s potato post and my mouth started watering!

So now I have a crazy plan to container garden between my rows of baby trees at least until they grow too big and shade out my containers. I have spent the last few months trading seeds, and with all the generous people here on Gardenweb, I find myself in the horrible predicament of having to actually plan what will fit where and it’s getting tough. I don’t have nearly enough room for what I want to grow, especially since I am on a mission to find the BEST squash or pumpkin for making pies now. There is just not enough room!

I have just started my first year wintersowing and I have about 20 containers so far. (I’m fortunate that with my big family we go through at least one gallon of milk a day!) I am on a quest to find shade-loving perennials, since I have no more sun anymore, and the only place I have for flowers is under the Silver maple tree, which was the only tree left standing. (We tapped it for the first time last winter and, wow, what delicious syrup!)

For 15 years I had a home-based internet business where I sold cloth diapers and natural baby supplies. Now I just do a little part-time merchandising job (ugh!). We have six sons, ages 14-25 years old; two are in college now and four are in high school! I bred ferrets for a few years too, and we have 10 ferrets now also. In my spare time I ….oh yeah, I don’t have any spare time!

o

Big shout out to all the Rocky Mt. forum Home boys/gals, from here in I'm-sick-o-it-now-snow-covered SW Colo, where I'm going to grow my Candy onions from seed this summer, starting next week.

Something you don't know about me ..... I lived extensively in central and costal Ivory Coast, the Niger Delta in Nigeria, NW Cameroon where the volcanos are, Northern Zambia which is paradise, and Western Kenya along the shores of Lake Victoria. Africa gets such a poor press but its a stunningly beautiful place to live, full of wonderful people, and you can grow amazing gardens. Which I did.

o

• Posted by xaroline zone 3 Calgary Canad (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 3, 10 at 23:14

I garden on a city lot in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
I attempt to grow a variety of plants. Right now I am trying to get rid of grass and replace it with wildfllowers. Eventually part of this will become an alpine
garden. Besides gardening, my other passion is my grandchildren.
I am involved with our community garden.

o
RE: Who�s Here in 2010? � Annual Role Call!

I live near Fort Lupton on an acre and a half surrounded by farm fields. The property was formerly a dairy and veal farm. I lease another 6 acres ajoining that I use for horse pasture for my 3 lawn ornaments. An irrigation canal borders the south side of our property and the land slopes downward to the north. There's not much level ground, so gardening can be a challenge.
I live with the BH and my teenage daughter, both of who would rather live in town. They have both grudgingly accepted my gardening efforts and will sometimes pitch in.
I'm a transplant from Illinois and love the open spaces here. I didn't get the gardening bug seriously till about 6 years ago. I started out planting deciduous trees as we only had a few old elms and willows. Then came the kitchen garden, the wind break, roses and an arbor. Last fall it was perennials and I think this spring my thoughts will turn to shrubbery! Paths must be built, too.
Most of what I've learned about gardening has come from the people on this site. I'm grateful for it.
Barb

o

Hi all! So nice to see so many of you are already signing in!

My name is Jennifer and I'm in Nederland which is dry, cold, windy and absolutely gorgeous. The creek is right behind us so we get strange moisture every now and then. Oddly enough, I have a section of yard that is always snaily and sluggy and during summer we are inundated with tiny frogs. I love them but, gee, they make it hard to walk around and kneel in the garden. I wish the dogs would not chase them as one ate a frog a couple years ago. Yeah, yuck!

I've always been a green thumb, I think I got it from the real green thumb in my family, my grandfather. I like dirty hands and pants and if I come inside with dirt on my face and in my hair, that is a plus! When I was little, I had obsessions with transplanting and grafting. Not one of my graft experiments took. I tried grafting all of our citrus trees with each other and also tried that on the peach, the apricot and the neighbor's plum. They never even knew! The azaleas were always being relocated as were the bulbs, mainly the zantedeschia. I killed one azalea :(

I'll try to grow anything that interests me if I have the desire to and if I'm not put off by worrying about whether I can grow it up here. Lettuce and tulips were firsts for me last year, roses and tomatoes came before them.

I have a good/normal-sized front yard but mainly stick to two flower beds, one strawberry/flower bed, raspberries all over and have just started spreading out a bit. I don't want to go crazy because our water tripled (nearly quadrupled) the year before last so I am trying to stay in clumps of areas to minimize watering the whole yard. Mulch is nice and helpful!!

I brought a Ned friend to the spring swap last year and she finally bought a house--a block down the street from us! Maybe she'll come and participate in the forum and swaps??

Something you all don't know about me? That is a tough one since I know I tend to ramble on. Well, I'm a non-drinker and non-smoker/user. Just one of those things I decided on when I was a teen. Must have had something to do with my parents being that way.

Personal stuff that probably isn't new info: I have three dogs, two of which are chihuahuas and one is a mix, maybe half cattle dog and half border collie? My guy is a Tai Chi instructor. I'm shy but love people and people watching. I have a grotesquely high level of self efficacy and confidence and therefore can do and learn anything I want. I love to sew, knit, crochet, paint, read, write, make ceramic things, hike, walk all day long, make jewelry, build things and scrabble. I'm horrible at scrabble. The next thing I'd like to learn is metal casting or maybe glass work. Ooooh, or ...

I enjoy reading the posts, responding to the ones I can and asking lots of questions. Such a great "hang-out" this forum!!

Jennifer Camille

o

I'm here for 2010. Already getting the yard in shape for the upcoming year. Lots of plans and ambitions for the season. Having a hard time waiting to get out there, but it's always nice to be in the planning stage too.

Hope to put in a few more raised beds for veggies now that I moved the garden shed out. Cleaning up the east side of the yard so I can get the ground ready for some fruit trees. (Most likely will go to the birds and the squirrels).
I live in SE Aurora. Work part-time at Tagawa's Garden Center during the growing season. And love working in the garden. Hope to post some pictures and add to this forum throughout the coming months.

Happy Growing... Kristi

o

Hi,
I'm new here. I moved from Illinois to Buena Vista, Colorado a little over 2 years ago, so this will be my third gardening year in in Colorado. I'm at 8000 feet on an average size city lot. I have an 8x12 Solex greenhouse and my home also has a 4-season heated sunroom.
Outdoors I grow perennials, Xeric plants, annuals in baskets and in ground beds, and veggies in raised planter boxes (square foot gardening style). I also have a slowly growing collection of houseplants. I love all aspects of nature, and try to be as environmentally responsible as I can. I've always wanted to live in Colorado and am thrilled to finally be here.
Dorothy

o

I'm here, but not checking in very often lately. I've been traveling to MA (and not a direct flight) lately and between the travel time, late arrival, long work days, etc I don't get online for non-work related stuff as much as I'd like.

o

Hi all,
I'm new to GW and just found this forum. I live in the SD Black Hills at about 5400 feet (another milehigher). We are 3 miles uphill from Deadwood. Not the Rockies, I know, but the best fit for GW geographical divisions. We moved here from Maryland seven years ago. I am currently tired of the snow--it could be April before we get a complete melt. It is fun to daydream about everything I want to plant next year. Too bad space is limited. As is the season.

Four years ago I transplanted rhubarb and raspberries into the yard. Last year we put a fence around the raspberries and they really took off--guess the deer had been eating them to the ground every year. We started an in-ground garden last year. The fencing is primitive, but it keeps the deer out of about a 400 sq.ft. area. I'm trying to grow asparagus, garlic, and walking onions. We do have good sun in the backyard. Bush beans, onions, lettuce and tomatillos did well last year. Tomatoes did so-so. This year we'll do shorter season tomatoes from seed. I'd also like to do container peppers, and winter squash (bush type). I've been getting my wintersowing together (flowers)--first time and scared. Oh, and we're putting in Jerusalem artichokes this spring. Enough for now. I have got to learn to walk the walk in gardening and this site is a wonderful reference for me. I'm glad you are all here.
Kathy

o

Hello again, this will be my second year gardening in my 4x8' raised bed, a pretty typical veggie garden, just outside downtown Denver. Learned a lot last year and looking forward to an even better 2010!

o

• Posted by jnfr z5b CO (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 9, 10 at 0:15

I'm still here, gardening in Westminster just east of Standley Lake. I love Colorado, but no one tell the new folks about the hail!!

o

jali, aka, Shelley, here in Limon. I can't grow lavender. It hates me. I accepted this after many successive failures, but I enjoy other's success with the *^)# plant. :)

o

Hi Everyone!

I've held off for awhile since "saying something new" seemed to be the trend this year. I haven't said anything new since I got here . . . .

But, I thought of something: they haven't actually done any work yet but I've had a continuous train of contractors going thru the house and yard for the last 2 weeks. DW and I have crammed ourselves in the few rooms remaining to us in anticipation of them actually lifting a hammer (and demolishing our bathroom, among other locations). It sure will be nice to get to outdoor work.

Gardening takes me away from the homestead. By random plotting . . . I garden on both sides of the ID/WA stateline and with Hauser Lake, Idaho in the midst of my dust-raising, I claim it as my garden location.

Tormenting my neighbors, everywhere,

Steve

o

Hi! I'm Becca, joined up last year upon buying our house that needed a lot of work for the yard and I've been out there working on it since then.

My plans are in the works, seeds ordered, figured out my planting and transplanting schedule for what I've ordered and all.

I guess the general idea for me is to do as natural a garden as possible, taking permaculture ideas and forest gardening, the best of what I've read about companion planting, etc. Take what I like, leave the rest, and hope for a great yield when all is said and done! :)

Pics of the progress a little at a time: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35796456@N05/sets/72157622142308702/

and the blog where I post updates from time to time: http://bekajoi.livejournal.com/

:)

o

Hello to all! I am new to this webforum and a fairly new gardener too. I have been growing herbs and veggies on and off in different states and zones for the past ten years. I now have a new home North of Denver with a enough room for a good size garden. The yard is in need of alot of help and I have to clear out all the goatheads and other weeds as well as quite a lot of dead sod before I plant. I plan on planting quite alot this year and getting in a few fruit trees too. I have already ordered almost all of my seeds and have mapped out where everything will be planted.

o

• Posted by yago z5 CO (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 15, 10 at 11:43

I rarely log in these days but I'm still here.

Yago / Lakewood, CO

o

Hello everyone. Sherri from Boulder, CO here. I joined the GW forum last year & have found this group to be super nice & knowledgeable. I grow mostly flowers & they are my real passion. This year, I'm obseessed with Hellebores & Sweet Peas & can't wait to get them going. I occasionally grow a few veggies, but I always forget about them & the critters enjoy more than I do. I have a decent sized backyard for the suburbs, but it gets a little more shade than I like, so I may get a tree trimmer out here this year.

I started Wintersowing last year which was a great success & am doing it again this year. I also start alot of my seeds indoors under lights, since I enjoy watching my them & want to get a jump on the season. This year I'm experimenting with the baggie method, just to see how well it works for me.

Happy almost spring, everyone!
- Sherri

o

Hello Everyone!

I'm really looking forward to hearing more from all of you this year! I had a fabulous time with my new greenhouse and raised beds in the 6 foot chain link fence my husband built for me last Summer. I'm just hoping that this year our growing season will be better.

I poured over my Burpee catalog for a month and finally placed my order. In addition to the standard veggie plants we grow, this year I'm going to try some okra and turnips as well as some black pearl hybrid tomatoes everyone was raving about last Summer. I can't wait!
I've been saving all of our toilet paper and paper towel rolls to cut down and use as seed starter containers. Has anyone else tried that?
I'm smelling Spring...
Karen

o

Hello!

I am a newbie in Southwestern Colorado Springs at ~6700 ft elevation and zone 5. We have all kinds of wildlife here to contend with, as well linited flat growing areas. I am thinking I will try containers again this year.

I grew up in upstate New York, near Syracuse, so the growing conditions are similar but the extremes here are just that - EXTREME!

I hope to find solutions to the gardening challenges we've experienced here and tips on seed and plant varieties. I am just planting seeds for spring....

Glad to find this blog!! :)

o

Hey there
checking in from Rollins Montana, about 20 miles south of Kalispell down by the lake.We are looking at our second year in the straw bale gardening.Last year it was a big success with 120 bales.We also have a 10x32 hoop house.This is all for our veges.
We also have a green roof system that is sedum based.We do not have lawn but instead a low maintenance cottage garden that is down in several levels.We have a 3500 gallon water feature with 2 falls running and a third that is in the making off the roof top.It contains many perennial plants as ell as goldfish and koi.
We also have approximately 100 chickens who provide the organic poo we use to compost but are also looking to possibly use as a heating element in the greenhouse at sometime.
I have worked as a landscape designer as well as ran large organic gardens(both vege and flower) and a greenhouse in the past.
As to this forum,, been around since it's conception. lol heck been around since the beginning of garden web, gads I feel old,,lol
Hugs,Laughter,Light,Love
Mary

o

Hey everyone-- glad to see we are starting to stir again. This is the first time I have been on this site since last fall! And, dang, it's snowing again. This seems to be an extremely long and relentless winter. Just cold and snowy enough to be annoying and uncomfortable. No 70 degree breaks like we usually get. My dog is getting pretty dirty!

Last year I only grew heirloom tomatoes (thank you to any of you who sent me seed!) but didn't get any saved (well, one type, Stupice). All were very tasty. I had to go to IL when they were coming in and they were frozen when I got back. I will start a few but am not planning a big garden this year. I want to try to sell my house (central Colorado Springs) to move back to be with family in IL. Know anyone needing a nice small rancher with a good yard? Anyway I don't want to put in a lot of vegies just in case it does sell. But I highly recommend checking out the heirloom varieties.

I hope you all have a great spring!
Terry

o

Hello Everyone-
Not sure I have ever posted in this forum. I have been most active in the pond forum, and that has been mostly years ago.

I am in Denver, have a large lot for our 'hood with pear, apple, and peach trees, vegetable, flower and herb gardens, grapes, raspberries, strawberries and blackberries and of course our pond (3000 gallons).

Brad

o

Guess I'm "Lurker" who has checked in and out for several years now and have done only a few posts.

I'm on the north end of Colorado Springs, right off of the Air Force Academy.

I don't mind Winter, but I can't wait for Spring so as to get out and get my hands in the dirt.

Karla

o

Hi there. We're in extreme northeastern Utah, near the CO and WY borders. I grow as much of our own food as possible on a little over an acre lot. We have 5 full size apple trees that we make good use of. Our 3 sweet granddaughters have spent the winter eating applesauce and apple pear sauce I canned last summer for them. Two pear trees, a good size garden and a never ending supply of horse manure.

The deer and grasshoppers made it very difficult to harvest anything from our garden this past season, but I'm not giving up. We live within 1/4 mile of a creek, and our property is the first free meal the deer come to after crossing over the alfalfa field each night. Frost blankets helped some. I'm thinking about some low hoop tunnels in the garden this year. And, I need to get my greenhouse up snd running. It's out there waiting for the snow to melt off enough that I can get it assembled. I am so excited to finally have a greenhouse after all these years of wishing for one!

With retirement comes increasing difficulty when it comes to the heavy work of gardening. I put a lot of thought into making changes this past year that make it easier to keep up with the garden.

I've been visiting gardenweb for years now, and lately have been looking for a board that is a good fit. This one looks very promising. Our altitude is around 6,000 feet and our crops must be irrigated.

I'm looking forward to popping back in here from time to time!

o

I just want to encourage those gardeners outside of the Central Rockies to participate in the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum. I don't know that there is any "typical" garden location that is most appropriate. Certainly, it isn't likely to be mine.

I'm not even sure if the mountains that my gardens back up against are even in the Rocky Mountains!! Geologically, the Selkirks are older than the Rockies, I've learned -- so maybe, I'm "grandfathered" in.

On the other side of the valley are the Coeur d'Alenes and the Bitterroots of the Rocky Mountains proper. If I'm not quite where I'm s'pose to be, well, I can almost throw a rock that far.

As far as a GardenWeb location, I was nearly reaching a condition of "desperation" trying to come to some common ground with Pacific Northwest gardeners. Can we all say, "Temperate Rain Forest" or would "Cold Cedar Jungle" be more appropriate? Perhaps not surprisingly, one PNW gardener referred to my environment as "blighted" - well, what does he know?!

Steve

o

Hello! I recently moved to Colorado Springs from Dayton, Ohio in the Fall so this will be the first gardening year here. I enjoy getting my hands dirty. It's in my blood since my dad was a flower grower in California. I remember the smell of the steam sterilized soil that skybird mentioned! So many years ago...

I have about 15 houseplants that we uhauled all the way from Ohio so I'm still keeping busy watering. We don't quite know what's in the ground in this new house yet, but we do live in a McSuburb with little land. I may do some container gardening & hit the local farmer's market for my first year here.

To be honest, most people I've talked to haven't been encouraging about gardening here. Xeroscape is what I hear a lot about. I'll look forward to learning about this area through this group. I like planting perennials, annuals, tomatoes & herbs.

Got my Burpee catalog today! It's amazing how they can track you down...

o

Esanjay, I'm in Colorado Springs too... well, south ish. North end of town has sandier rockier soil to be sure but if you amend the soil with good stuff it can certainly grow things well. I'm at the south end of town now and it seems a wee bit cooler and wetter down here than up north were I used to live.

Watering more often than you're used to is probably going to be your biggest change. It is pretty dry here. A way to try and save on how much water you need to add daily is to add a ground cover between the crops (if you do rows) to help keep the ground moister and it won't heat up as much and bake off the water you do add as easily. White Dutch Clover is a good thing for this, and adds nitrogen while it shades the soil for you. :)

I've seen PLENTY of gorgeous gardens out here, you just have to not ignore it. Self watering things put in the ground by your thirstier plants could help... :)

o

I'm not even sure if the mountains that my gardens back up against are even in the Rocky Mountains!! Geologically, the Selkirks are older than the Rockies, I've learned -- so maybe, I'm "grandfathered" in.

!

Not to hijack the thread, but the basement rock may be older due to the age of the particular piece of the island arc that docked to the continent, but the uplift there occurred more recently than the Laramide Orogeny here. So you're a young-un. Regardless, the Selkirks are very fine and accessible, and that valley shouldn't be trumpeted too far and wide, else everyone will go there.

;o)

The Springs has several good xeriiscape gardens and the city has done a good job of providing lists of plant material (we'll see if they can keep their plants alive now - good test!). The soil down there is pretty decent comparatively and you can make the growing season stretch a bit to grow a decent palate of veggie as long as it doesn't mind single-digit humidity (why we compare lists).

Dan

o

I keep trying to post but the site crashes - should I be taking it personally??

Hi, Amy from Highlands Ranch checking in. Tore up my front lawn and replanted it all with xeric perennials, and am slowly working on the backyard now. David Austin is going to be able to buy a new pair of shoes (or five) by the time I'm done...

Let's see - I'm not sure what people DON'T know about me - how about that I'm now a dog owner? We found a German shepherd mix through a rescue a few weeks back and we're having a great time with him (especially now that he's not whining all night!).

Bring on spring - NOW! My serviceberry and apple trees are budding and a late frost is NOT going to make me happy... :)

o

Cyndi here....in Highlands Ranch

Looking forward to spring. Going to start some seeds this weekend. Wish me luck. I can only grow 'em in the garage with artificial light.

I'm hoping to finish my new deck this spring and do some larger tree and shrub installation.

o

I've been a lurker here for quite some time. Finally decided to sign up. I live in Conifer, CO. just off the 285 corridor at about 8120 elevation (give or take, depending where on the property). We have about an acre that generally slopes down to the south (ranging from southwest slopes to south-southeast slopes in direction) that I am slowly (oh so slowly) trying to turn into a food basket (so to speak).

Currently we have raised bed gardens to the tune of 100+ square feet, as well as currants, strawberries, gooseberries, blueberries, hazelnuts (new last year), nanking cherries (new last year), black walnuts (new last year), butternuts (new last year), and roses (for the rose hips).

This year I have my orders in already for three types of grape (concord, einset, and eidelweiss from johnny seeds), a yellow delicious apple to go with the two columnar apples that had been in my house until I put them out recently for their cold hours (they'll get transplanted when the yellow delicious goes in, got them as a gift too late last year to feel confident planting them then), three pears (keiffer, seckel, and honeysweet) and a single reliance peach. Along with risking some black raspberries to go in the area of the black walnuts and getting a few rosa rugosa to flesh out my rose hip production. Already have my seeds ordered and received for this year as well as where I plan to put them in and a rough estimate when (weather permitting).

The we I refer to is my wife and two daughters (as well as two cats who wouldn't forgive me if I didn't mention them). Although we are technically located in zone 5 (according to the 2006 updated arborday hardiness map), I think we are actually in a slightly higher zone from micro-climate due to the slope I was talking about before. Plenty of sun everywhere on the land except behind the house and in the far back where the pines are packed tight.

Anyhow, enough about me. I figured I'd hop in and post here before I started a thread in a few days looking for knowledge from people regarding the materials for COF (complete organic fertilizer) as recommended by Steve Solomon in "Gardening When it Counts". I've tracked most of what I need down but am hoping people might be able to clue me in to where to buy them in larger bags than the three and five pounders I've found listed as available in the Denver area on the web. Making it will get rather pricey if I'm buying the smaller bags.

Thralen

o

I started lurking here last year. :)
I live in Golden, CO. I am almost done with nursing school, and have 2 very large orange cats to keep me company at home. Last year, I planted my garden right before I was deployed to Iraq in early May and my wonderful neighbor kept it watered and weeded for me until I returned. This past fall I put in raised beds. I am doing lasagna gardening for the first time (actually still in the process).

I am just reading about winter sowing and am looking forward to learning about that. I don't know if I'm too late, so I'll search for some advice here.

I can't wait for the spring to come and the spring gathering that this forum hosts :)

o

Still redley here...

Oh...I should mention what I'm planting.

I've got a large list.
I have seeds for the following:

SQUASH: butternut, spaghetti, acorn, pettipan, deliciata, burgess buttercup, cocozelle, grey zucchini, gold rush hybrid zucchini, early prolific straightnect, black zucchini, elite hybrid zucchini

HERBS: cillantro, lavender, taragon, parsley, rosemary, basil, dill, basil, marjoram, winter savory, thyme, oregano, camomile, chives, lemon balm
(Need seeds for anice, lemon verbena)

PEPPER BOX:
anaheim, poblamo, sweet pepper carnival mix, casabella, bell, serrano, jalapano, eggplant

LETTUCE AND THE SORT:
Loose leaf lettuce, spinach, mustard, bok choy, chinase cabbage, mustard, swiss chard.

Of course, no garden would be complete without beans (pole and bush), sweet peas, beets, cucumbers, and 6 different tomatoes

FLOWERS for the garden
Calendula, poppy, ecinacia, zinia, marigold, geranium, yarrow, sunflowers, nastertium
(Need seeds for borage, beebalm, anise hyssop)

In the front, I will be planting a variety of thornless blackberries and thornless rasb\pberries. Hoping to get some from the annual swap :). Also need to find elderberries, gooseberries, jostaberries, and dewberries.

o

Hi Redley! Just a quick comment about the herb seeds you are looking for. The Walmart where I live had seeds for anise when I was there today. Lemon verbena is typically cutting propagated, so doubt you will find seeds commercially available for that one.

I have seeds for a double red bee balm, and hyssop officinalis that I received in a trade. If you are interested in them, just email me, okay?

Bonnie

o

Greetings All!!
I don't often chime in, but I'm often here.
I live on a windy three acre patch of sagebrush outside of Casper Wy.
I have two good-sized garden plots and am about to add on again.
My main projects for spring this year are building cold frames and low tunnels to extend the short season. I'm also really tempted to put in a raspberry patch.
I grow nearly all of the short to medium season veg and a few tough perenials. Oh, and sunflowers, lots of sunflowers.

o

Hi all,

Welcome everyone, and thanks for signing in here. I’m really enjoying reading everyone’s posts and getting some great laughs from some of you—just wish I had time to respond to each of you. It’s great to know so many of the regulars are still hanging out around here, even if some of you aren’t posting as much as you used to, and it’s great that some of you have decided to come out of lurkdom and join us in posting. I’ve seen a bunch of other new names around here lately, and I hope you’ll come post here to tell us a little about yourselves too.

Looking down the list, so far, as always, we have a bunch of people from Denver and the Denver Metro area, I counted five from the Colorado Springs area, plus folks in Colorado from Golden, near Greeley, Boulder, Nederland, Limon, Buena Vista, Ft. Lupton, Longmont, Cortez/Dolores, and that one person who lives out in Dirt—uhh—got that wrong again—I mean Silt!

I counted three from near Casper in wild and windy Wyoming, one in extreme NE Utah, one between Ogden and Salt Lake, three in Montana—near Kalispell, at Hamilton, and in SW Montana, one in extreme SW Kansas—close enough to be breathing Colorado air!, and one from Idaho/Washington—or somewhere up thataway! ;-) And, for the first time this year we have somebody from South Dakota, Deadwood in the Black Hills (I still want to get up there for a vacation one of these years!), and one person from CANADA, Calgary, Alberta! As usual, we’re a very diverse group! Speaking on behalf of everyone at RMG, we’re glad you’re all here!

Bonnie’s reply to Redly reminded me that I never got around to posting the seeds I have available on this year’s Seed Exchange thread, so I’m going to resurrect that thread shortly. Red, if you see this, I have anise hyssop, Agastache foeniculum seed that I’ll be glad to send you, so check out the Seed Exchange thread when it gets bumped up! It’s too bad you couldn’t come to last year’s Spring Swap—I had real live anise hyssop plants at that one! No more plants, as I gave mine and all the seedlings away, but it should be easy to start from seed anyway. Once we get the Spring Swap location decided and the thread started, we’ll be able to post requests, so hopefully you’ll be able to get some of your berries then—just not so sure about the thornless part!

For those of you who haven’t posted here yet, please come let us know you’re around,
Skybird

o

Greetings from snowy SW Colorado,

I'm Mark, 58 years old, and the product of a Northern Plains farm where self reliance and individualism are admired virtues. We raised most everything that we ate because of economics. If we didn't grow it, we probably didn't eat it.

I live at 7400' between Bayfield and Vallecito, 1/4 mile up the west slope from the Pine River on an acreage in a ponderosa pine/gambel oak forest that was logged nearly 100 years ago. We have 25 or so ponderosas and our goal is to double that number before we're gone.

Gardening here is quite a challenge! In May and June, a 70 degree day will often yield to frost by the next morning. I cold frame all of my tender vegetables, removing the polyethylene around July 1. And the lack of moisture and single digit humidity from mid April through mid July complicate things further. By the time our monsoon begins in mid July the deer are eating everything.

The solution is a new greenhouse and 8 foot fencing around a new raised bed garden that is on a hillside location that seems to stay a couple of degrees warmer, judging by my observations of frozen oak leaves for several years.

My greatest passion is hiking and climbing our San Juan peaks in search of trout in high lakes and mineral specimens to collect. Summer weekends will find Linda, my wife of 34 years, our two Siberian huskies and me in our cabin at 10,700' above Silverton (13 day growing season).

Regards,
Mark Mahlum

o

Oh, my gosh! Coincidences never cease to amaze me! For the last couple years I’ve been staying at a cabin (Pine River Lodge) on the Vallecito Reservoir for a couple nites on my vacation! Will probably be back down there for a couple more nites next September! Here’s what the beautiful country down around Mark looks like! And I’m sure that cabin above Silverton is even way more spectacular!
~~~ Green with envy! ~~~

o

Hiya,
Its nice to be back for my second year of reading your posts. Two years ago I built a raised planter in my micro sized back yard. For lack of space, I choose to grow only tomatoes. The season ended early - please see link below.
In 2010, I started my tomato seeds about 12 days ago and have germinations of about 60 percent so far.
I'm trying something new this year to get an early start outdoors. I've cut the bottoms out of a dozen 5 gallon water bottles that I'll be using as cloches. It took me a bit of searching, but Joe at Sierra Springs Water sold me their cracked bottles destined for recycling ($2 each). With the help of a Dremel with a mini-saw attachment, in 30 minutes the bottles became cloches and are ready for duty. He told me I could spread the word to my RMG compatriots so if you're looking give them a call. Their facility is just north of Park Avenue and just east of I-25.
Good luck and plentiful harvest to everyone this year!

xRay

Here is a link that might be useful: The Great Catastrophe of aught-nine

o
I failed to mention my location

Lakewood CO

o

I'm still here, though I don't check in as often as I should.

I'm on the Palmer Divide in Colorado. I do more indoor than outdoor gardening these days, since I live in an area with low sun, poor soils, high altitude, lots of snow, and voracious mammals.

The tomatoes I got last spring at the plant swap are still setting tomatoes in a sunny window, and they are still way better than store-bought. I've saved seeds for them, and hope to have a few seeds and some seedlings for the plant swap this year.

My kids are still into gardening, too. These days, they've been planting seeds from our grocery store purchases. Avocado, mango, citrus, etc.

Hello to everyone!

o

I'm here too, in the Greenhorn Valley south of Pueblo. Want to say I continue to appreciate all the marvelous information and creative ideas you guys have about gardening, and all the willing help that flies back and forth on this forum.

We built a house three years ago on a ridge here and we're still trying to get the yard right. I have a wonderful friend who's a professional landscape designer, and we've hired her to help us figure it out this year. We have a tiny yard with a great view and mega-wind on the ridge we live on.

I founded a 501(c)(3) nonptofit a year ago which includes a community garden project so I may have some questions about that kind of planting also. It's going great, the gardeners grew a huge amount of crops last year.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello, and I'm looking forward to reading about all of you and your adventures and wise advice about plants.

I apologize for these underlined words; they seem to connect to ads. Don't know why they're there, and I hadn't seen them on other posts. Can't seem to get them out of here. I'll see if I can find instructions after I post this; don't want to start all over.

susanka

o

Mark's got an envy-inducing GH and thank you xray for the great tip - I'll race the folks here to Sierra Spring Water!

Dan

o

Well...I'm new to being a "real" gardener (lol!)...and new to Colorado, Grand Junction, to be precise. Spent the last several years in central Florida, where EVERYTHING seemed to grow :) and amassed about 60 orchids on my screened in porch. So far...the move and subsequent environment change has left me with about 20...hoping some of those 20 actually bloom!

I have my seeds, started building my "square foot garden" frames from some recycled materials I had...and am staring out my window right now watching the snow come down on the new bird feeder! :) Big change from FL, for sure! In a rental house, so designing the raised beds to move with me to the next place...will mostly be doing container gardening...but lucky to have a HUGE fenced in back yard.

Hoping to do veggies, herbs, enough cut flowers to supply a wedding later this year :), and some succulants and natives to fill out the in-ground spaces. Also just bought some plants on QVC (Robertas) yesterday for May delivery...succulants, callas, day lillies and purple, pink and white(!) lavender. Glad to have found this forum!!! :)

o

IanB here, checking in from Boulder. I haven't been posting much - I guess I'm in that "been around long enough to have asked the newbie questions, not long enough to post good answers" awkward stage. ;)

I've only squeezed in about 150 square feet of garden in my back yard, but I dug it deep - 2' in places - and worked in a lot of acidic compost, so things took off last year. I'm still experimenting with tomato, pepper and melon varieties - melons being the toughest here so far, but well worth the effort. I used wall-o-waters (walls-o-water?) last year with good results for the melons (didn't seem to make a long-term difference for the tomatoes or peppers); may try cold frames for them this year.

I've also put in about 15 fruit trees in the last two years, apples and pears in an espalier and plums freestanding about 5' apart. So far so good.

Little-known fact: over the winter I've pretty well perfected my rye raisin-walnut rolls recipe. Take a while to make (overnight rise for the starter, then 3 folds and rises the next day), but mmmmm... tasty. Happy to share the recipe!

Ian

o

• Posted by jnfr z5b CO (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 6, 10 at 14:43

They sound wonderful!

o

IanB - they do sound wonderful. How about starting a new thread with the recipe?

o

I second that!

:-)
Skybird

o

Hi, Rene here. I live in SE Denver. I still consider myself a newbie gardener, especially compared to some of the posters here. I love gardening, but my life allows little time for it. I'm gradually converting my large KBG lawn to more xeric perennial beds and groundcovers, about 1/4 done. Partner and I have several raised veggie beds in our second year of that, total sq. feet <100. I do start seedlings, but haven't tried saving seed yet.

o

Hi, i'm new here but i have been to a couple of the plant swaps (so far about 2). I wasn't on then. I live in a place that has gravel or in the places with no gravel, pine needles and the "forest creatures" that eat a lot of things they aren't suposed to eat :( so it is very difficult to raise anything to maturity, but i like reading and looking at plants . :)

o

Dani here, checking in for the first time since last year. Once I got my garden going, the last place I wanted to be was inside on the computer! Now, I feel like I'm a bit behind the ball, because I learned wintersowing last year, and should have had my jugs out weeks ago (can I get some Mardi Gras beads for that?). So, my Broomfield garden is still in the earliest planning stages!

Anyway, my yard is a veritable haven for bindweed (hubby thinks "green" means it's a nice lawn), so I garden 100% in containers, mostly of the self-watering variety since I work and can't water 2-3 times a day in the Colorado summers. In case you're wondering, I swear by Garden Patch self-watering containers; they're more affordable than Earth Boxes, and hold more water, too. I can put two tomato plants in one container, which seems crazy, but it really does work.

I met alot of wonderful folks at the spring swap last year and see many of you still posting; I hope we can arrange another one this year to reacquaint with you all, and meet some newbies.

After last fall's final harvest, I made some fermented salsa--which sounds disgusting (I was thinking "saurkraut salsa... yuk!), but I gotta tell you: it is THE BEST salsa I've ever had, even if I do say so myself! If anyone wants details on how to do that, just let me know; even the kids love it!

Still, very much a trial-by-error gardener, and do mostly veggies at this time. For the record, I had tomatillos last year: one from wintersowing, and the other was indoor-sown; by the end of the season, I couldn't even remember which was which!! (Oh, and tomatillos are priceless in salsa!)

I'm hoping that we have a warmer and sunnier summer this year--the way my yard is situated, I was loaded down with green tomatoes at the end of growing season last year, and nothing ever wanted to ripen (yes, I pulled and hung my plants, of those that I didn't just move the whole container inside the garage). Frustrating! It was like my garden was just getting going when we had our first freeze.

o

I'm Kristie. I've been on here as an occasional visiter for several years, mostly to ask questions and to read about everyone's gardening experiences. I live on the East side of Colorado Springs. I have a small vegetable garden, neighborhood backyard. Our house is fairly new and there hasn't been much landscaping in the area, so we've planted some trees and perenials around the backyard. I also like to plant salad veggies (tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce, carrots, sugar snap peas, peppers.) We tried pumpkins and corn last year. We got a few decent. My husband and I have been trying to start seeds indoors. We haven't had much good luck. Maybe we'll do better this year. I started gardening in San Diego so it's a lot more challenging in Colorado. But we enjoy it so we try.

Anyway I'll be here to ask questions, look for plants, trees, suggestions, etc.

Thanks.

o

I haven't been posting much for a while but I'm still here!

I live in Falcon, just east of Colorado Springs. We have almost 1/2 acre but it's still pretty bare. I'm starting year 3 of my veggie garden (though it did get a large expansion last year so a lot of my beds are on year 2). I also have a few half-finished gardening projects going in the yard. I hope I'll live here long enough to finish them... I'm hoping to find out soon whether or not another move is in my near future.

I've been slacking on my garden planning this spring but I do have some seedlings started. I decided that even though it's possible I may plant a garden I won't get to harvest, I think I'd rather do that than still be here without the fresh veggies!

I also have a blog (which I have been neglecting for some time now as well, but I'll get back on track there too... soon... )

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

o

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new here - just found the site today. I am an enthusiastic amateur who usually has a strong start that dies out around late June/early July. We have two raised beds in our side yard (with no irrigation or hose nearby, hence the death of my enthusiasm). We also have a spacious side yard with bulbs and perennials and a 40 year old rose garden. I love to talk about gardening, plants, and veggies, and I am drawn to heirloom or odd veggies - if it isn't available in a grocery store, I want to try it! This year, I am excited to grow sorrel (so delicious) and romanesco broccoli, which just looks so pretty. (I don't know how it tastes yet.)

I'm glad to have found the forum!

Angel

o

• Posted by glok z 4/5 CO (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 20, 10 at 15:45

I'm still here in Woodland Park, CO even tho I don't post much. Been sittin on my behind recouping from foot surgery. Hope to be up and around without the aid of crutches or a cane soon! Need NO more snow, I'm ready to play!!!

Nice hearing about everyone! Happy Gardening!
gloria

o

Hi - I'm new. I met Skybird on another gardening group forum, and she invited me to join this group. I love the idea of getting together a couple of times a year at the swaps. Looking forward to it!

I've been in Colorado for 3 1/2 years, having moved here from California (where I lived for almost 20 years). I am still getting used to the climate here, especially for growing things. Need lots of advice! Although not an expert gardener, I do love to dabble and see what I can get to grow well.

We bought our first home last June, in Westminster, so am looking forward to making long term plans for our yard! We have a great sized back yard with several older trees and a small flower garden, but I'd like to plant more, of course. One side of the yard has a garden area that was totally taken over by some kind of scruffy looking shrubbery. We cut them back last fall, and my husband has started digging up the roots so I'll have a better planting area. We are going to take down the Aspens that are growing there as well, and replace them with a couple of fruit trees (peach and maybe apple). I plan to use the Aspen trunks for some kind of project in the yard, so they are not wasted (I hate to kill them, but if I can use them for something else, I'll feel better!). There is a large area that was already set up for a garden, so my husband has been excited to get it ready for planting. Definitely going to do tomatoes (Black Krim are his favorite), and we picked up some seeds today for lettuce, carrots, beans, watermelon and chives. We also had some older seeds that were left at the house for pumpkins, so will see if those will sprout. He will most of the tending to the vege garden, and I will tend mostly to the flower gardens :^) I'd like to grow a few herbs as well - mint (have a cutting already started), sage (got a small plant throught the plant exchange last summer), cilantro (have some seeds), and I'd like to get some lavender.

I am very interested in trying xeriscaping, with the climate we have here seems a good direction to go! I picked up a book on it and have started a list of plants that I will try to find when the garden centers start stocking up. Our front yard presents maybe the biggest challenge as it faces the South and gets very hot during the summer. I planted a few things there before winter - relocated some iris from the backyard to here, planted the Wisteria that I've had in a pot for a couple of years, a yellow rose bush, and a small Red Hot Poker lily. Want to add a few more plants that will do well with this exposure. Especially want to find a nice ground cover that is evergreen and will drape over the brick border. We'd like to build a pergola over this area to provide a bit of shade, and provide something for the Wisteria to climb.

So as you can see, my husband and I have lots of plans. I am looking forward to being a member of this group for sharing ideas, advice, etc.!! Eventually, I should have some seeds or cuttings to share as well ;^)

o

Hi Mstywoods!

My frontyard also faces south and here are a few things that do well for me - Achillea, Gaillardia, Sedums (both upright and groundcover types), Daylilies, Dianthus, Coreopsis, Asclepias tuberosa (Butterfly Weed), and Echinacea.

Hope this helps some,
Bonnie

o

Well better late than never. I have been around for years but mostly watch and learn, share once in a while. Mostly love skybird and digit's insight and help. Now the other Bonnie has got me winter-sowing. We enjoy vegetables and a few flowers. Missed the swaps because my husband is a cutting horse enthusiast and that consumes many a weekend.

We are north of Kersey, which is east of Greeley 8 miles and 50 miles of the metro.

Not sure if my lack of posting qualifies me as a "regular" so something you don't already know is perhaps not necessary... bonnie

o

Depending upon where you were in CA (I was in Sacto), the lack of moisture is the same, and xeriscaping works as well here as in CA. The growing season is of course shorter but easily extended 3-4 weeks on either side. Hail is an issue here as well as the dessicating wind. Otherwise many of the same xeric plants here as in CA.

Dan

o

I'm a lurker and occasional question-asker. I am pretty new to gardening and have, sadly, killed a lot of innocent plants. :)

I have a small bed (maybe 50 sqft) behind our townhouse in Boulder, CO, which provides me with some scorching-hot space and some full shade-- a constant challenge. I only grow edibles, and this year I am planning six varieties of tomatoes, two peppers, scallions, peas, broccoli, kale, arugula, lettuce, spinach, basil, thyme, rosemary, and parsley, in addition to the sage that seems to have survived another winter.

Nice to meet all of you!

Kristin

o

I just discovered this website/forum!! I am so excited. Seems as though there is nothing else like it.Specific to Rocky Mts.
My name is Gloria, I live in New Mexico, the land of enchantment. I have been gardening for decades but there is soooo much to learn. My interests are chickens (I have 25), feeding those chickens,organic, permaculture,biodiversity, composting,watersaving etc.. My main passion is growing and studying medicinal herbs.
Winter sowing is very exciting to me, will try that.
I have 18 acres with a small river thru it(my dream home)There is one cultivated plot about 35 by 75 for veggies and grains and a few herbs. I have a kitchen door garden, my herb experiment garden. I have a lot of fruit trees, everything but pears. I have two chicken yards with a winter coop and a summer coop.
I have a fiberglass greenhouse that I am presently digging out the raised beds inside where the d%^(+ pocket gophers have set up housekeeping. I plan to put in hardware cloth then replace the raised beds. I love and hate the fact that there is too much to do.
That is enough for now. I am so glad I found you! Gloria

o

Hi! I'm a newbie, just discovered the forum, and thought I would join! Yeah!
I live in east Boulder, tiny front yard, tiny back yard, super shady side yard, and just making the most of it!
I am starting my veggies from seed for the first time this year, and very excited about it.
I have a perrenial garden out front, and I've got lots of stuff coming in already.
Not excited that my neighbor built his shed 6 inches from my fence last fall, and so I'm thinking that the vegetable garden might be really shady this year. I'm compensating by doing some peppers and the smaller, vining tomatoes in pots out front, just to make sure I get something this year!
I compost, and I think I'm going to need a second bin this year. If anyone has an extra, or knows where to get a cheap one, let me know!
The name reflects my love of indoor planting. I keep orchids in a terrarium, and also on every available surface. Other house plants too.
I have a biology degree, and basically just love all things living!
Excited to post here, and to scroll back up this thread to 'meet' all of you.

o

Hi all. I am a newbie as well. I live just outside of Grand Junction. We had dirt last year and spent the entire summer/fall getting things going. Now it's time to see what survived, what we like, what we don't like and what needs moved. Should be fun!

I am a part time RN and full time mom to our kids, Maggie who is 3 and Andrew (Drew) who is 16 months. I would consider myself an amateur gardener who aspires to be much more in terms of gardening ability. Glad to meet everyone!

Jill

o

I've just figured it out: These threads kind of "lure" people into posting . . . at least, once . . . every year!

Don't be a stranger all the rest of the time!!

Come back with questions, answers and wildly misplaced comments! Some of us seem to tolerate most everything (except politics, religion, or a lack of appreciation ;o).

It's tough for all of us, gardening here with this cordillera. "Cordillera is a chain of mountains or mountain ranges, especially the principal mountain system of a continent" (thefreedictionary.com). Or, Cordillera is the bailing twine that your toe catches under as you pass thru your gardengate and up-ends you into the first row of vegetables.

We are all going to need to learn new uses for chewing gum, duct tape, and cable ties this season! Just remember the 1st rule for gardening equipment: "If it ain't broke, don't lend it. (red green)"

steve

o

Looks like I may be out of my apt. and assisting my Mom with her estate this summer, so that means 1.5 acres to play around with! Woohoo! I'll be up there around the first of May.

I'm kind of hopeful to actually use some of the space to grow something for profit - not sure what it'll be yet. But she does have a lot of Iris, Peonies, Fruit Trees, and Roses, so a lot of things to consider...

o

Hi! I'm pretty new to these forums, but I've been in the Denver area for about 19 years. I mostly grow irises and last year, I started to sell a few. Mostly because I was spending more than I had budgeted on new irises and other plants. I love random and strange plants, although besides irises, I think my favorite would have to be "living fossils." I like fossils too, but I can't actually grow them. I'm working on my collection of living fossil plants. Unfortunately, many won't grow year-round outside here, which would be why I have a nice little collection of houseplants. Mostly cycads, which I keep in a cage so my dog won't eat them. And then I have other random houseplants as well.

My newest (and probably most ridiculous) project I have planned for this year is a mini bog. How that's going to work out in the wonderfully dry weather, I'm not sure. I've got a nice batch of plants to start it - Sarracenia purpurea (carnivores are awesome), Equisetum (hooray for living fossils), Lycopodium (can't go wrong with explosive spores), and some Sphagnum. Hopefully I can start digging the hole for that soon.

My other love is to grow things that people say don't grow here. I have an Agapanthus and Gladiolus growing very well here. Last summer, I got a hardy banana, but I kept him in a pot inside for this winter. I'll be putting him out soon and leaving him out there. And I have three orange trees in pots. I know everyone has them now, but I've had these things for twelve years or so. Before it was cool to grow citrus in Colorado.

o

I'm a newbie - live on the northern side of Colorado Springs. Had a couple of container tomato plants last summer that were very sad but I got 4 fabulous tomatoes off of them! Have mainly been lurking in the seed starting forum but I just ran across this one today and am happy to see other gardeners from CO.

This year we are putting in 3 raised beds (4'x12' - or 16', I forget which) to garden in. They should be finished around the 19th of April and I'm very excited. I've started some veggies inside - peppers, broccoli, tomatoes, herbs, cucumbers - all very happy so far even though sometimes I think the broccoli is taking over my life as I overplanted and have way more than I need! Although my coworkers are very excited to hear that I'll have extras to share!

-T

o

I'm a newbie to gardenweb and to gardening. I live in Boulder, and have a 120 sq ft garden. This will be my 3rd year with this garden. Hopefully, this will be the year that I finally figure out how to grow a decent tomato!

o

Hello! I'm in Aspen, CO, and we have a short growing season here! This year trying tomatoes, basil, snap peas, and spinach. Am going to once again try cilantro, but have never ever had luck with that one in CO. Thanks for the opportunity for an introduction and I hope everyone is having a wonderful Spring.

o

Lindsey Vonn was in the paper this morning about the welcome home rally up there yesterday. Next time you run into her, please tell her we want our daughter to grow up just like her. Especially the strong, confident, reaching out parts. More like her, please.

Dan

o

I am here again in an excited "let's get winter behind us" mode- in Arvada a few blocks south of the Westminster Mall. My husband and son do the veggie garden while I take care of the grass and flowers. As I mentioned in another post, we will be trying to foil the pesky squirrels--if I have flowers in pots on my deck, I have to cover with chicken wire so the darlings don't dig around and uproot the flowers. Of course the veggies are the prime target.......I spend much thought during the winter figuring out what I want to do differently. I have an area that was a wildflower garden that I may add more wildflower seed to because ther isn't much left of the previous garden planted in 2000. Adding perennials here and there and dividing the ones I have is on my list. I had planned to add mushroom compost everywhere as I do often but the price went from $2.98 to $4.98 for a 40lb bag at Home Depot anyway. Once again I will remove as much of the lemon scented herb plants which eventually get big and spread and are a pain in the neck. I'm too cheap to buy a lawn edger so may rent one- I've been doing the edging with a shovel for yrs but as I age, I am simplifying things! I have several poles in my front yard where I fed the birds but recently took all the food away as I saw the neighbor's cat catch a bird for the 2nd time. Now I think I will hang pots of flowers but which ones can handle the eastern sun- any suggestions? (no shade). Glad to be a part of this wonderful group!!

o

Matoad,

I found Organic Mushroom Compost at the ACE on 120th/Federal for $2.29 for a 40lb. bag. They always have great prices for compost.

ProvoGirl

o

Oops, it is on 104th/Federal.

o

I'm still here, as well. :) This will be my third year gardening up in Fort Collins, and I'm rather excited because I've moved the veggie garden to a new raised bed (45 x 3 ft) that we put in along the backyard fence.

Photobucket

Photobucket

You can see the old garden beds in the lower part of the second photo; they were perfect -- except for the fact that they didn't get nearly enough sun. (Our sloping yard is on the north side of a two story house. Oops.) So hopefully the move will bring about better results.

Best to everyone this spring,

Laura

o

mooseling - wow, I didn't know orange trees would grow here! What is the secret?!

I have a couple of hawaiian ginger plants and a Princess Flower plant that I brought with me from California. I have been keeping them inside during the winter, but they really don't fair too well even then - I think they just are not well suited for being indoor plants. I've been thinking I'll plant them outside since we are no longer renting, and hope they will survive - I'm sure I'll have to cover them for the winter though to give them a better chance. What do you think?

Marj

Posted by mooseling Zone 5 CO (My Page) on Mon, Mar 29, 10 at 4:36

And I have three orange trees in pots. I know everyone has them now, but I've had these things for twelve years or so. Before it was cool to grow citrus in Colorado.

o

The trees are dwarf varieties and are in fairly large pots, and they just have to be taken in every winter. They stay in a very bright room for the winter and they don't seem to mind. Sometimes, on warm days we take them outside and then bring them back in for the night, but that can be a pain since it takes two people to move them.

I'm not familiar with ginger plants or princess flower. If they're more sensitive to certain conditions, it's fairly easy to over or under do things. Usually, the problem I have is with getting enough light. I'm too cheap to get a grow light, so I just use fluorescents instead. Right now, I have a few plants growing on a regular lamp with a CFL - I just took the lampshade off, and the plants are doing very well.

As for planting things outside, I usually don't like to take too many chances. I generally wait to be able to take a cutting or divide or get seed of whatever it is I'm experimenting with. If I only have one spare plant, I put it in this protected area - it's where the Agapanthus and other things grow. If it survives there, I wait to get another and move it somewhere with less protection. Or if I have tons of extras, I put them all over the place, mulch some, leave some alone. Most of the time, I end up losing a lot of stuff, but sometimes, I'll get surprised.

o

Hello!
I'm new to this site and excited to find such a great resource. I live in southwest Littleton and my annual gardening obsession is kicking in. I've always been much too impulsive and haphazard in choosing plants - as in, "oooh, that's pretty, I think I'll buy it and plunk it down in the yard!" This year I'm determined to have a little more foresight before I plow ahead.

Already, I need some advice. I love, love, love peonies but have never grown them. I saw some packaged roots at a discount store this week and (yup, haven't quite got the impulse buy under control yet...) picked up a couple. THEN I started reading about best times to plant and see that I should wait until fall. Can I pot these roots in the meantime? They're already showing some growth.

Looking forward to learning and sharing here!
Lori

o

Newbie from Boston. Focus is on perennials, however, I seem to be in war with the squirrels and chipmunks. OYEZ!

o

Hi!
I am a self proclaimed lurker on Gardenweb but decided it's time to venture out! When I get a chance I love to
read what other enthusiastic gardeners are doing in their yards. Right now the snow is falling, falling, falling.
It is hard to believe (not really) that my husband & I
planted bareroot shrubs and roses this last weekend! I
am looking forward to sowing seeds in my yard once this
snow melts. Hope all is well with everyone. Best wishes.

o

I am a newbie to this garden forum but am a avid gardener and plant swapper and can't wait to start . I have a lot of variety and am always looking for " that one plant I don't have "

o

It's been years since I've posted on this great site but I've sent lots of other gardeners here.

Well I've been a gardener in northern CO, between Red Feather and Tie Siding, WY at 7,200'. Ya, I'm a glutton for punishment but now and then we are so successful with some crop that our hopes are raised & we keep pushing on.

We've got Pixwell gooseberries, Red Lake currants, serviceberries, Nanking bush cherries, rhubarb, sorrel, Quinalt and Puget strawberries, Latham raspberries. We usually have luck with broccoli, spinach, winter & summer squash, kale, snap peas, cabbage, assorted herbs, onions, garlic, beans of many sorts. My chickens eat all the leftovers & provide eggs & fertilizer. Thanks girls!

My perennial garden is packed with a huge collection of perennials, annuals & cacti. I have a large sun space on the south side of my house that has all my tropicals, indoor cacti, an aviary with canaries, quail and finches and 2 ponds so I can keep on digging all year.

I'm looking forward the the swap this year. I'm going to be there unless it's snowing........

When & where will it be?

o

I am back for more punishment. This year I am focusing on improving my dirt, and controlling the voles. I am not going to use up my precious garden space with corn because of the Peyton wind. I have a gentlemans bet with 4 friends on growing the biggest pumpkin. Theres a lot at stake so your cooperation and input would be greatly appreciate. I love this time of year and let the games begin.

o

At the moment I live in northern Kentucky but will be moving to the Denver area next month. Not sure exactly where just yet. Trying to find a house. This year has been tough on my gardening urges because of the impending move, and so I've had to lay low the last several months. I was so looking forward to growing my own tomatoes this year but it looks like I will have to buy some already-started plants once I get to CO. I will have to give away half my seed collection, of those plants which won't grow in my new environment. For better or for worse, you might be hearing more from me on the Rocky Mtn forum as I learn more about gardening in my new home.

o

muddykoinz,
I'm trying corn again, partly because I have the seeds and part of me wants to figure out how to get it to produce a decent crop but I feel much better about not harvesting much corn as long as the farm stand comes back to town this summer. They had some pretty good corn last summer.

o

Welcome to Colorado, kvenkat. Good luck in finding good homes for your seeds. Save some for yourself, because you never know what will do well for you here.

o

Hello,
I'm Cyn, formerly of Missouri (where I had a big lovely humid garden) then of Bangkok, now of Boulder. I'd never spent any time in an arid high-altitude climate (except for a few trips to Tibet) and the West has been quite a shock. The plants here are so different from the Southern/Midwestern things I grew up with ... Thai plants were more familiar!

I have a boyfriend I'm crazy about, and a balcony that I'm not. can attest that I gripe too much about Colorado. It's a nice place, but I miss Thailand. Trying to turn my Boulder balcony into a Bangkok garden, with the BF resisting (mostly on practical grounds) all the way!

o

Two newbies from humid environs! Our little forum is going to be busy in July-August, methinks. Welcome to the Great Plains: semiarid, windy and the plant diversity is mostly at ankle-knee level. But the birding is pretty good here, I must say and the Rockies...well, you'll see.

Dan

o

• Posted by skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 16, 10 at 16:29

I just want to second the welcomes for all of our newbies, and especially for the two new "tropical" transplants that either are, or soon will be going: What the...........

Gardening out here is not the same as what you’re used to, but it is VERY doable! And wait’ll you get out into the mountains! Don’t wait too long! Take a drive, spend the day, take a few walks, stop by a stream, lie down under an aspen tree and look up thru the quaking leaves..........

Cyn, don’t let your boyfriend discourage you. Gardening is all about trying things! If you don’t try, you’ll never know!

KvenKat, start a thread to let us know when you’ve successfully relocated, and let us know where you wound up. If you have any questions when you’re looking for your new house, you can ask here (start a separate thread). On occasion we’ve helped answer questions for others that were moving into the area. And definitely don’t give all your seeds away! You might be surprised by some of them. Maybe you can do some of them in pots in summer or grow them as annuals out here.

Thank you everybody who’s signed in here! I’m really glad to see so many new faces this year! [Glad to see the old faces too! LOL!]

If you haven’t signed in yet, please let us know you’re here, and be sure to give us some idea of where you live.

Welcome everyone,
Skybird

o

Hi Cyn and Kvenkat! I'm from west Tennessee, so I know a good bit about humidity, and being able to grow just about anything you'd like. I've been in Colorado since 2000, and I think it has made me a better gardener. There are a lot of challenges here - late frosts/snowstorms, hail in the middle of summer, grasshopper plagues, cool summer nights, and lack of water to name a few. I figure if I can get stuff to grow here, I can garden anywhere! Skybird has been to my place a few times, and she'll vouch for the fact the I've managed to grow quite a variety in spite of the climate here : ) I had tons of questions when I first moved here though, which is how I found the RMG forum in the first place. You'll get lots of great advice from the folks on this forum, so don't be shy about posting your questions.

Oh, and Kvenkat, there is a forum on GW called the Round Robin forum, where they do a lot of different kinds of seed swaps. It's a good place to trade seeds you can't use, for the ones that you want. You may want to check it out once you move here. Be forewarned though, that seed trading can become addicting.

Bonnie

o

• Posted by skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 16, 10 at 23:09

I will WAY vouch for the fact that Bonnie has become an AMAZING Colorado gardener. When she started posting here she didn’t think she could grow ANYTHING! (Remember that year when you were so worried about your Coreopsis?) And when I saw her yard for the first time, three years ago (not that long after she had started posting), I almost fell over! She has an amazing array of perennials, and I never will believe all the different veggies she grows in that little spot—and various pots! Of course, I still think you should branch out into the pinks and lavenders—further away from the house—but you already know that! There are so many cool pink and lavender things! I don’t want to do this without Bonnie’s permission—since it’s her house—but, Bonnie I have a really good pic of your front yard from last September, and the street number isn’t visible (the pic I took that you’re not in), and I’d like to post it if it’s ok with you. I think people would love to see the "whole picture!" I think a lot of people would be as amazed as I was—and it just keeps getting better and better every year!

BUT—let’s don’t scare away our new "tropical" gardeners with snow and hail and grasshoppers, LOL! They’ll get the picture soon enough! And, remember, newbies, that Bonnie lives out in Silt, which is on the western slope not too far from Glenwood Springs! So she has it even worse than us front range folks! If you see her yard, you’ll understand how very possible it is to garden in Colorado!

Skybird

o

I'm not sure if I've seen the picture you took this last time, but as long as the house number isn't visible, I'm okay with it being posted. You were here in Sept., so can't remember what was still blooming by that point, and what the grasshoppers hadn't eaten. Whooops, I'm not supposed to mention them, LOL!

Actually, I like it better on this side of the state. It does get colder in the winter, and hotter in the summer, but we don't get as many big snow storms as the front range, unless you live near a ski town, like Aspen or Vail. It just stays on the ground longer here.

It definitely isn't lush and green, like those from the humid areas are used to, and I missed those huge, old trees when I first moved here, and the dogwoods and azaleas blooming in the springtime, but now I love the wide open spaces, and I almost felt claustrophic last time I went home. I kept looking around for the mountains on the horizon.

Bonnie

o

Thanks for the welcome. You all sound like a great bunch of folks with knowledge and personal experience we can all learn from. I have lived in dry places before (AZ and WY) but did not garden then. Anyway, my husband and I are in Colorado right now hoping to find a house before the Obama discount goes bye-bye. We are looking at the areas south of Denver, either Aurora, Centennial, Parker and maybe Highlands Ranch.

o

Hi! Count me in! I've been here 2 weeks, from Florida where I gardened for 30 years - tropicals, antique roses, herbs, perennials. I love all things nature - plants, rocks, pinecones, shells, sunsets...in fact my two carryons on the plane coming here were my kitty and my houseplants. Orchids and miniature african violets. Living with a northfacing balcony in SW Denver (Wash Park), I'll learn all I can about container shade gardening. May need to find some sun next year. Thanks for giving me a place to belong!

o

Hey there,
It's Lara. charlene's neighbor.
For those of you I don't know..
I live in Castle Rock.
I am mostly a vegetable gardener. I don't mind the flowers, but I don't have much time left to care for my flower garden once I am done with the veggies.
I am slowly learning about gardening in CO. I came from MN and it was all so easy there.
My garden is getting more settled each year, the primary issue I face is trying to conserve water/ mulch and avoid the bugs that come with mulching.
I am open to any advise.
As for the spring swap if we are moving forward with that, I have rhubarb that is nearly5 inches high so I could bring rhubard to give or I have a plant I would be willing to give as well if someone wants it.
I have raspberries - Heritage. They are spreading all over and I will be digging them to transplant to other locations in my garden, but I would be happy to pot or let anyone come dig some.
I also have strawberries gone wild that I would be willing to share.

If anyone has advise on pruning an apple tree I would also appreciate the info. I have an overgrown tree, not pruned in likely 8 years. I want to know how much I can prune, I know it is late in the season, but I think it just needs to be done anyway. I appreciate any help you might have to offer.

Happy spring planting.

o

Hi all,

I'm a newbie who had her starts in planting in Santa Barbara, CA, where it didn't take much thought or work. I now live in Evergreen, CO and plan on claiming about 200 sq ft of our 1/2 acre back from the wildlife... Haven't yet built the deer fence or anything but while I'm planning I've got the gardening itch and have been lurking on this site for about a month. For now I have some containers, and have been most interested in perennials. Being a bit of an insecure perfectionist, it is AWESOME to come to a forum where I don't feel condescended for asking "newbie" questions. :) Looking forward to meeting folks at the swap!

Lindsey

o
RE: Who's Here in 2010? ¡X Annual Role Call!

I am grateful to find you all.
I live in Fort Collins Colorado and am an SFG devotee.
Last year I started with 3--3x3 and 1--1x3 containers with water reservoirs; after all the summer hail storms, I rigged out the containers with Conestoga wagon style, PVC pipe braces that can be covered with plant fabric in a pinch for protection.
The 3--3x3 containers are on the south side of the house between our property and our neighbors in front of the gate to the backyard.
The 1x3 with a trellis is behind the gate adjacent to the back lawn fence that we share with that same neighbor.
I am preparing to add another 3x3 container in the back lawn.
As I am a SFG devotee, I do my best to plant with Mel's Mix.
I started a compost bin on the north side of the house but between not turning it consistently and not being too cognizant about balancing my browns and greens the pile has fallen asleep and I need to wake it up (smile)
I would also like to plant the window boxes on the west side of our home with short carrots and beets instead of flowers this year.
I would also like to put containers on our west-facing front porch and try to plant Yukon Gold potatoes. They will not have reservoirs so I want to try the water jug with a wick to the planter technique.
DH plants two earth boxes on the west side of the house with tomatoes and mows the lawns.
I talked him into letting me convert half the front lawn (yin yang inspired). Now it is half grass. The other half is half rock mulch and half wood mulch the later my husband scored when he chatted up the tree surgeons that were working on another property on our street.
The wind had me and the cats up last night but now that it has chased the clouds away I will be about taking an inventory of the sheds, setting up the new containers, and direct sowing the cool season vegetable seeds.
I look forward to learning many things from all of you.
I will try to read the previous threads and to avoid posting any redundant questions.
Thank you in advance for your patience.

o

I am still here and so ready for some warm weather. Out turning over beds this morning. Happy Spring everyone.

o

We moved to Black Forest (N. Colorado Springs) about a year and a half ago. Last season was spent re-vegetating construction areas with grasses, lilacs, golden currants, and some replacement trees. I was active on Gardenweb in CA before moving here. I'm usually on the forums before the Fall swap...looking forward to my first Spring swap. Hoping to get more gardening done as we finish up construction on the house and garden hardscape. This summer we'll be setting up drip irrigation, sprinklers for some lawn, some retaining walls, and a flagstone path, and two garden beds. Whew -- getting tired just thinking about it. I'm also a homeschooling mom to 3 boys, so I never get enough time for gardening, but we all like digging in the dirt!

o

Ginny,

Hats off to you! Homeschooling 3 boys is a full-time job. You probably know this already, but involving them in gardening can be the equivalent of a science lab. I grew up on a 600 acre farm and my father had a reasonably good understanding of horticulture, etc. Working on our farm from an early age was like experiencing an ecology, botany and zoology lab. It made the several biology classes I took in college a breeze.

Mark

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here