Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing berries

Posted by parks_gardener Arizona (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 12, 08 at 16:14

I live in zone 2 (I think): short growing season - can get a freeze on 4th of July; 7200 ft. altitude, lows of -5 in winter with highs in mid-80's in summer. Does anyone know if any berries (blackberry, raspberry, boysenberry, etc.) can be grown here and if so, how?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing berries

You piqued my curiosity, and I did a google search on "raspberry usda zone" and came up with the website linked below. They have a list of a bunch of raspberries, but none of them say they're hardy in zone 2. Maybe someone else here has some experience growing them at high altitude? I grow some fine here at 4500' but I'm in zone 6.

Here is a link that might be useful: Raspberry varieties

o

I believe -5F would put you in Zone 5, and as far as frosts on the 4th, that shouldn't be much of a problem for raspberries, I should think. Wild raspberries grow up to 9 - 10,000 feet

o

You can check out your USDA zone somewhere here on GW or use a more current, little less precise, and unofficial (government-wise) Arbor Day Foundation zone designation linked below.

digitS'

Here is a link that might be useful: Arbor Day zones

o

Looks like z6. z2 would be -40 to -50 for your winter low.

o

So hey, good news! You can probably grow all the berries you want in your zone. Except blueberries -- they require acid soil that we just can't imitate very well here in the West.

o

• Posted by skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 14, 08 at 14:30

Hi ParksGardener,

Did you look up your zone in the Sunset Western Garden Book? If so they use a completely different zone system from everybody else. If you're z2 in Sunset, you're probably z5 according to the USDA---and just about everybody else. And if you're z5 or z6 that would mean you could grow just about any kind of small fruit you wanted to--and definitely the ones you named. (z5 goes down to -20, and z6 goes down to -10---without breaking them down into "a and b!" In Arizona, I'm guessing you're more likely in 6a or 6b.

Welcome to RMG,
Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA Zone Chart

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here