Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bekajoi

bringing in compost... how deep for a first year?

bekajoi
14 years ago

I'm looking to start a garden in a long untended yard. I have spent the last few months pulling the weeds, removing rocks, tending the soil, planting perennial fruit bearing bushes and trees..

I'm planning to plant things in such a way that they give back to the soil as they grow, and help the neighboring plants as they do so. The idea is to make it so the soil enriches itself (at least a decent amount) as it goes along.

But since it has been left alone for so long, the soil is stripped of its ideal amount of nutrients. I need to add a little, at least, to help it along this first year. I don't have finished compost of my own yet, so I'm looking into bulk compost and having it delivered this year to get me started. (I wish I had a truck so I could do it myself and save!)

ANYWAY... Places here are selling it by the cubic yard and I've figured out how much I'd need to have 3" deep over every area planted with food crop... 6 cubic yards (if all goes well and my plan is fulfilled this year, it might not be)

So the big question is... is 3" deep good enough if it just needs a little boost? Could I do less? Do I need to do more?

Trying to budget and get my stuff lined up! Thanks for your thoughts!

Comments (3)