Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
On My Way to a Veggie Burger!

Posted by digit ID/WA (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 24, 12 at 17:21

Last winter, I made tofu a couple of times. Processing my garden soybeans is just as important this winter. Yes! The edamame got away from me and I was left with a lot of dry soybeans again!

Casting about as to what I might do besides tofu - the idea of a veggie burger came to me. The first step would be to learn how well soybeans could be formed into patties. What I came up with is quite a bit of work . . . Oh well, I only took it as far as making patties. If you have ideas how seasonings could be incorporated into the processing, please share them. I'm thinking sauteed onions and, maybe,
worchestershire sauce.

The "1st step" was just making patties, as I said. These are quite tasty, re-heated for breakfast. They remind me of the "corn fritters" my mom used to make . . .

The beans were rinsed, the "skins" promptly loosened and were skimmed off. The beans sat overnight in water. An equal amount of rice was put to soak the next morning:

After draining, the rice and beans together were put into the food processor:

Here is where the work came in - made more difficult by overfilling the pot! This mixture must be stirred frequently while it cooks for about 1 hour:

The cooked meal was then spooned onto plastic wrap:

These patties went into the steamer where they cooked for an additional 45 minutes:

They are fully-cooked but soft, as one might expect:

The patties can then be fried on the griddle:

They are really, very good!

The seasonings that would make these into "veggie burgers" would probably go into the plastic wrap along with the boiled meal. Yes, I know that there continues to be controversy about using plastic for cooking. Like most everyone with a microwave, we use plastic film to cover bowls of food. Since food in a simple steamer does not reach a temperature hot enuf to melt the plastic, things were at least safe from that problem.

Anyway, even without the veggie burger seasonings - the patties are very tasty.

Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: On My Way to a Veggie Burger!

• Posted by skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 25, 12 at 13:33

ROFL! Glad you're here with us, David!

Digit, you have to stop posting yummy looking pics! Every time I find one of them I'm ALREADY hungry, and you're doing a real number on my diet! ;-)

Apparently there's a lot of SPAM on JessieThePitt's carpet too!

Skybird

o

I can add considerably to kitchen excitement by overfilling a pot:

Photobucket

It doesn't need to rise to the level of hand-to-hand combat, however. I mean, these are Italian Sweets rather than some lethal pepper!

Actually, adding a cup or 2 from the food processor to the already boiling pot keeps things under control all the way to the top. (I wasn't even forced to give any of the soy & rice to the backyard hens. :o)

Steve

o

Wow! GW removed some posts! The carpet cleaning spam, I understand but David's comment about making a mess on the Mrs. digit's carpet also was deleted!

Anyway (& at the risk of attracting more spam), used the last of the soy cakes yesterday and with lots more soybeans, went right ahead and began making more today.

In an effort to cut down a bit on the "crunchiness" of the cakes, I went thru the beans after soaking to remove the hard immature ones. Discouraging . . . must be about 10%. Aaaannd, they are too large for my pea-shooter so they're wasted! (Yes, I tried.)

I think that they would have been just fine if I'd harvested them while still green and froze the beans after blanching! Then, I may have been able to make them into Veggie Burgers, anyway!

Steve
(they'll still be used for little breakfast cakes to be broken up and served with hot milk . . . the burgers are still something to be planned for the future ;o)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here