Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunshine_27

Impatiens

sunshine_27
14 years ago

I was not aware of this until a couple of years ago and thought I would share it. I've always thought impatiens were just an annual bedding plant, but I learned on internet that they live indefinitely as a houseplant, and wherever you pin a stem down to make contact with the

soil it will root to make a new plant, or you can take cuttings. Once started, they will bloom constantly indoors yearround.

So I sowed some impatient seeds about a year ago. They didn't germinate especially well, and the seedlings were hard to keep alive when young. I ended up with only about 4 or 5 seedlings that survived, but from those few seedlings I now have 3 big bowls which have flowered non-stop indoors and are very easy care now. Last summer kept them outdoors in pots in the shade and sheltered from wind (wind does tend to shatter the flowers a bit). At the end of last summer I brought them indoors, and they've grown more strongly and flowered more profusely for me indoors than outdoors.

So anyone who sows impatiens in an outdoor garden or flowerbox, might try potting them up as a houseplant at the end of the season. Or sow a pot from seed for non-stop indoor flowers to brighten up your home in winter.

Dorothy

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!