Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Impatiens

Posted by sunshine_27 4/5 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 16, 10 at 20:23

I was not aware of this until a couple of years ago and thought I would share it. I've always thought impatiens were just an annual bedding plant, but I learned on internet that they live indefinitely as a houseplant, and wherever you pin a stem down to make contact with the
soil it will root to make a new plant, or you can take cuttings. Once started, they will bloom constantly indoors yearround.

So I sowed some impatient seeds about a year ago. They didn't germinate especially well, and the seedlings were hard to keep alive when young. I ended up with only about 4 or 5 seedlings that survived, but from those few seedlings I now have 3 big bowls which have flowered non-stop indoors and are very easy care now. Last summer kept them outdoors in pots in the shade and sheltered from wind (wind does tend to shatter the flowers a bit). At the end of last summer I brought them indoors, and they've grown more strongly and flowered more profusely for me indoors than outdoors.

So anyone who sows impatiens in an outdoor garden or flowerbox, might try potting them up as a houseplant at the end of the season. Or sow a pot from seed for non-stop indoor flowers to brighten up your home in winter.

Dorothy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Impatiens

Thanks for the reminder on the impatiens as houseplant.
I did bring them in one year and they were a cheerful houseplant.
Caroline

o

This is good to know, Dorothy.

Despite impatiens being a very popular outdoor plant elsewhere in the US, I think it is commonly overlooked in arid climates. I remember putting them out in planters one year in what should have been a good location, morning sun but shade from noon on. The blooms would shrivel, it seemed, within hours of opening during a very hot, dry summer.

(Also, it is fun seeing this post beside our very understandable, impatient laments that spring can't come soon enough! ;o)

Steve

o

Great reminder, Dorothy! I used to be obsessed with impatiens when I was a kid. I could hardly wait for the seed pods to be ready to pop and then I'd pop them over spots I wanted new plants to grow. Oh, I hated it when they would pop before I could get to them. Honestly, once I left California, I kind of forgot about them, entirely. I may be running out of room for indoor plants but I think I'll try some inside just the same.

J.

o

As Steve mentioned, impatiens are certainly not what naturally springs to mind as a bedding plant for this dry windy climate, and high altitude sun - and I did accidentally misspell it as 'impatient' in my original post! But any plant that can be used outdoors or indoors, and will even bloom continously indoors is worth giving a try as far as I'm concerned. Besides that, experimenting is such a fun part of gardening. I'm one of those who's willing to give most things a try even in the face of probable failure. And sometimes keep trying despite that! The first few months I moved to Colorado I couldn't get anything to grow. I couldn't get seeds of any kind to germinate even in the house, and even the houseplants I'd grown for years back in Illinois died when I moved them here. Turns out all I needed was a change of potting soil from what I'd been using in Illinois. Once I made that simple change, everything grew just fine.

Dorothy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here