Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

Burpee Discount!

Just thought I'd post this in case anybody is planning to order from Burpee. (I just got one of their emails)

Now, through midnite on the 19th they have a deal for $5 off of any order of $30 or more -- "plus free sunflower seeds!"

The discount code is BF 18

Happy shopping,

Skybird

Comments (6)

• highalttransplant
    16 years ago

Hi, Skybird!

There was recently a thread on the WS Forum, that talked about the difference between Burpee's online prices vs. the packets you buy at the local stores. It was a real eye opener, particularly Littleonefb's response!

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Burpee seed prices

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ThatÂs interesting, Bonnie. The only thing IÂve gotten from them in recent years (besides their catalog to look at it!), was fall bulbs a couple months ago, and I got them Âcause they were having a 40% off (online) sale and then an additional $5 off the order when I waited until they thought I wasnÂt gonna order anything. So that was a pretty good deal, and I was happy with the bulbs.

For the few veggies I order, I mostly use Pinetree because of their pricesÂsmall quantities, but more than enough seed for me, and then I use Harris because I can get a few specific varieties from themÂand pelleted carrot seed for Royal Chantenay. (A packet of the pelleted carrot seed is 700 seeds for $2.35ÂI think thatÂs reasonable.) I think Harris packet prices are very reasonable, but always more seed than I need. I havenÂt really looked at BurpeeÂs prices recentlyÂjust look at all the pretty pictures. I have noticed the cheap prices for Burpee and all the other in-store seeds, and I always figured they were just smaller packets (according to that thread, maybe thatÂs not true), but, for sure, when you get the 10 cent packets at WalgreenÂs, Ace, and other places, they have VERY few seeds in them. I buy them too when I can find something I want, and at 10 cents a pack, I just figure if I get 10 packs that IÂm getting as much as I might in one non-10 cent packÂand itÂs still a good deal. I donÂt really worry too much about the germination ratesÂIÂve never really had a problem with that, and since I mostly buy cheap seed, if I ever do, it wonÂt be any big loss.

Flower seeds IÂm always FORCED to pick up some when IÂm walking by them in stores, but mostly the things I really want are the more unusual things and I get them from smaller catalogs whenever I notice something thatÂs cool. I still want to order some of the neat things Rocky Mountain Rare Seeds has, butÂhow much seed is too much seedÂand I think IÂm gonna handcuff my hands behind my back this year! I am glad somebody posted about that Seedman half-off sale, Âcause I was able to find some unusual things thereÂand for the half off price, it was a good deal.

Since I can never throw seeds out, I still have seeds that are over 30 years old, and some day when IÂm retired and old and grey (IF that ever happens!), IÂm gonna get them all out and make a collage and frame it and hang it on the wall!

Plan to get into action and post again on your winter sowing thread soon,
    Skybird

P.S. I just got my Bountiful Gardens catalog. ItÂs printed on newsprint with very few (black and white) pictures, and they have all kinds of unusual thingsÂunusual to me at least! Anybody want to grow some Triticale? I wonder if they send Tribbles with the seed! (The BG catalog is put out by a non-profit organization called Ecology Action)

• highalttransplant
    16 years ago

Skybird, I posted the deal on Seedman, but I ended up not ordering from there. So far this season I've ordered from Pinetree, Diane's, Specialty Perennials, Heirloom Acre Seeds, Valueseeds, Swallowtail, and a very small order with Jung's. And of course, there are all the trades I made too!

Certainly no seed shortage here!

Bonnie

Original Author
    16 years ago

You can make a seed collage too, Bonnie

:-)
    Skybird

• digit
    16 years ago

I'm a little frustrated with Burpee's prices, also. But, something that almost bothers me more is the exclusiveness of the varieties they offer. I think it might be very easy to become exclusively, a Burpee gardener. I figure that's not going to work for me because #1 I don't have that much money and #2 I don't garden in a place similar to eastern Pennsylvania. If their selection is suitable for that location, it won't be suitable for where I live.

Hoooowwwever, Burpee's got my Honey Girl melon seed . . . I've got NO choice but to send in my small order this year as in every year over the last 5 or so.

digitS' trembling from melon deprivation

Original Author
    16 years ago

Hang in there, Digit! This too shall pass!

Just look at the picture in the catalog and think...........
    melon-----melon-----melon-----melon.......

I'm sure you'll be able to taste it after a couple minutes!

Ohm..............
    Skybird

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz