Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msfuzz

When is spring gonna be heeeeeere??? *cries*

msfuzz
14 years ago

I'm SO antsy to get started. I have all my seeds now...And my garden all planned out on paper...Since it's all in containers, it took a bit of doing. I have my wading pools ordered, I finished making my 10 GlobalBuckets yesterday, all I need is to make my "dirt" to go inside, get 3 whiskey barrels, and plant! *sigh* Spring will never come!!

Comments (20)

• xaroline
    14 years ago

It won't be for awhile here so my solution is to start the light set up in the basement. I shall start begonias, geraniums and petunias in trays under the lights. Wintersowing is also a solution and I have hollyhocks, delphiniums and cleome to wintersow.
    Caroline Zone 3 Calgary (fresh snow this morning)

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

I've started leeks and two varieties of onion. They're starting to sprout now. Started a flat of geranium cuttings to replace/rejuvenate the huge tubs 'o geraniums I've had for 15 years now and are admittedly lookin' a bit scraggly.

Garden still under snow, except for some leeks that are poking through, and they still look green.

More snow this weekend and into next week. The snow mounds that slid off the roof are 4 to 5 feet high, bigger on the north side.

And I'm remembering, mostly, to water indoor plants. They certainly thrive on neglect.

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Whenever I get that itch, I go wintersow a few jugs of seeds : )

• colokid
    14 years ago

Its coming. Neighbor's dog is barking at the squirrels again, and the popa birds are chasing the moma birds.
    I just had to start a couple of tomatoes. Could not help myself.
    KennyP

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    14 years ago

I'm glad to hear you're getting started. I found a seed starting tray with peat pellets that are about 4 times bigger than the standard ones. I'm looking forward to trying them out. I'm headed to the Gulf coast for a long weekend next week, so I plan to sow tomatoes and peppers in them right before I leave. I think my house sitter can keep them moist for 4 days and I won't have long to wait when I get back. I'm so glad I had my garden buddies here to talk to this winter. It's been a long, cold, wet haul! It'll be interesting to see what spring brings, weather wise. Happy sowing!
    Barb

• digit
    14 years ago

I'm not seeing the record-breaking warm winter that Vancouver is enjoying/lamenting. Still, it has been 4 years since we had this warm of a January here. That 2006 winter was quite remarkable, also.

Half the snapdragon seed and a good lot of the pepper seed went in the starting mix today. I have never started seed earlier than February 17th but this warm weather is encouraging, this year. Not one to put all my eggs in 1 basket, however, there's plenty more seed of these varieties to go in about 10 days from now. That's my insurance policy.

Snapdragons and peppers are the earliest. The rest of them in good order . . .

Steve

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

We're having one of the more firewood burnin', snow-coveryist winters I've seen in a long time. The ponds and lakes have been walk-on frozen since mid-December, over the last 10 years they've rarely frozen at all, or at most for a couple of weeks. And guess what? More snow forecast for the weekend......

My onion seed has sprouted, and the little guys are up and running.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

I'm not seeing the record-breaking warm winter that Vancouver is enjoying/lamenting. Still, it has been 4 years since we had this warm of a January here. That 2006 winter was quite remarkable, also.

My buddy in Wenatchee is seeing the apricot twigs turning color and the early grasses starting to poke thru, scrambling to get ready for spring.

Nonetheless, I'm about ready to start some seeds and I can still poke around under the hoops ind in the coldframe if I get too antsy...

Dan

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

I was getting excited about the amount of bare ground I was seeing, but we got a couple of inches of snow last night, and there is a winter storm warning through tomorrow, so we will probably get several more inches before this system moves on.

Not feeling too springlike today ...

Bonnie

• jnfr
    14 years ago

It was 10 degrees when I took my husband to the bus this morning. At least the cold and snow is keeping my garlic from getting too enthusiastic too early.

I won't start seeds till next month, though if we get a couple warm weeks I might sow some greens outside.

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

1ºF this morning. 38º now, Supposed to be 6º tonight. On the bright side, now is perfect for DS to keep his XC skies in the car and hit the trail directly after school for a couple of hours and get home before dark. Last year this time the closest trails were hog wallows of mud.

• wonderwoman15
    14 years ago

UUGH! New transplant to western Colorado (from sunny Florida!) and watching it snow outside my window RIGHT NOW! Thought I could get some outside projects done today...but I guess I'll keep "researching" gardening online for now... :)

• jnfr
    14 years ago

Lovely couple of days now. It really helps having some temps even in the 50s. I'm used to having at least an occasional warm day through the winter, but this winter has been an endless span of cold, snowy gray. It's nice to feel my feet warm up a bit.

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Hey, I had my first REAL sign of spring ... I had to chase my garbage can down the street yesterday.

14 years ago

Just got done putting the warming film down on the garden soil and will do the potatoes, peas, onion/shallot seed end of next week. Spring is coming...

Dan

• digit
    14 years ago

I went for a walk yesterday, must have covered nearly a mile.

Saw my first dandelion!! It was a little frostbitten and lopsided but there it was, bright yellow.

Steve's digits

• windwhipped
    14 years ago

Yesterday morning found my early daffs were up about an inch. I'm so glad I got to see them before they were covered again by yesterday's all-day snow.

• gjcore
    14 years ago

I had a flock of about 100 robins hanging around my yard the other day so we must be getting close to spring.

14 years ago

I had a flock of about 100 robins hanging around my yard the other day so we must be getting close to spring.

Yes, the first wave is moving north and some of my compatriots are starting to notice other early movers - mountain bluebird - are showing up too. The house finches hereabouts are more active too. Yay!

Dan

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

My first skunk of the year just trotted across the lawn at around 4 pm.