Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaliranchr

How do you store your seeds

jaliranchr
15 years ago

Just curious...do you alphabetize and organize your seed collection or just dump all the packets in a box or drawer?

I'm kinda in the middle. Organized but not that much. Everything is clearly labeled in individual envelopes and put in a sense of order that works for me. They are all in a plastic box with a couple of silica packets just in case we might get some moisture sometime in the next two hundred years. :)

Comments (6)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    15 years ago

Hi Jali,

YouÂre talking about the seeds we saved, arenÂt you? The commercial seed packets I have are all neatly separated into veggies, annuals, and perennialsÂand then alphabetized, but the seeds IÂve collected myself, well thatÂs just kind of a big mess in a box! But no silica gel here! I keep them in an open dish for a month or more until IÂm sure theyÂre completely dry, and then I stick them in whatever size zipper baggie is appropriate for the amount I haveÂand put a little slip of paper with the name in the baggie along with the seed. If I had more veggie seeds IÂd probably separate the perennial and veggie seeds, but so far the only veggie seeds IÂve saved are my parsnip seeds, so thereÂs really nothing to separate! Actually, I just happened to think! (I do it sometimes!) The perennial seed I collected when I was working in the green industryÂthereÂs a whole bunch of thatÂare all alphabetized by botanical name! But the recent stuff IÂve collected since I moved into this house is a MESS!

ItÂs really nice to be seeing more of you around here again, Jali!
    Skybird

• jaliranchr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, skybird. Glad to see you back in the mix, too, Skybird. Good to see everyone coming out of their winter hibernations and showing up.

Oh, I almost feel a *chirp* coming on. :)

• david52 Zone 6
    15 years ago

Mine are organized by size. Left to right, small to big. So Snapdragons, then petunias, all the way up through peas, peanuts, and avocados.

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Mine are in cardboard photo boxes. I have one for flowers and one for edibles, but they are completely full now, and I'm thinking I may need a third box, just for all of my tomatoes and peppers, LOL! Flowers are separated into annuals and perennials, edibles are divided by herbs, and veggies, and yes they are alphabetized. I keep an inventory list in an Excel document, which is now 9 pages long! Yeah, I know, this seed collecting addiction is just totally out of control, and yes I'm a little OCD when it comes to gardening. Funny, I'm not that anal when it comes to things like housework : )

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    15 years ago

Yesterday was enough for spring fever - I went and bought seed potatoes and more material for SWCs and I swear if someone doesn't stop me I'll start those potadas!

My seeds are filed by crop type - cool seasons, root, legumes, Solanaceous, etc. I keep them in an old seed starting tray cover.

Dan

• digit
    15 years ago

Gosh, I'm not very organized at all .

I make use of baskets from the thrift shops. I suppose most people buy baskets and then can't think of what to do with them. My idea is to take seed out to the garden in 1 or 2 baskets. And since my gardens are large, so are the baskets.

Last year's seed is in one basket on a basement shelf. Saved seed is in a rather jumbled mess of baggies with strips of paper (Ã la, Skybird), in another basket. New seed, is still in a cardboard box where I can pull it out and admire the crisp clean packets.

There are a few of those "backorder" things out there that sometimes they take so long with that the opportunity to plant is lost!!

digitS'

They dropped it, they dropped it
    Yes on the way they dropped it
    A little girlie picked it up
    And put it in her pocket