Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

Spring Swap 2011 - What are you bringing? What do you want?

Hi all,

Here's the place where you can post the things you planning to/hoping to bring to the swap, and this is where you can let people know if they list something you'd like to have! If you're planning to bring something, and then something "goes wrong," don't worry about it! We ALL understand the concept of a "crop failure!"

When you start planning what you're gonna bring, please come post it here so everyone can come and look, and salivate, and get dibs on things! I'll be posting pictures with most of mine, but you don't need pictures! If somebody isn't sure about something you post, they can ask about it!

And if there's something you're looking for that somebody might possibly be able to bring for you, this is also the place to post your Wish List if you have one!

I'll start with the things I have potted up at this point. For those who haven't been to a swap before, my plants are little starter plants, in 8 oz. styrofoam cups! Enough to get you started and give you something to watch while it grows up! I usually post all the basic info for my plants (like you'd find on a plant tag at a retail store), but with the copy/paste problem here on GW, that's not gonna happen this year! There are WAY too many single and double quotes and dashes and other things that won't be readable when copied from Word! I'll list the name and a little basic info, but it won't include the height/width and stuff like that. Just ask if you're not familiar with the plant! This year I'm also gonna post the smallest thumbnails for the pictures to help save our scrolling fingers when this thread gets long! You can click on any of them to see the big version! All of my plants are zone 5 or colder!

Here's what I've had time to pot up so far. The number in brackets is how many I have available--assuming they all grow!

Agastache foeniculum, licorice mint [1] - Culinary and ornamental herb, strong licorice scent, use for teas and in baking. Reseeds prolifically! (I don't have a picture of this one! It's not a particularly "pretty" plant, and would be better in an herb garden than in a perennial bed!)

Ajuga reptans 'Arboretum Giant', Bugleweed [4] - Large leaves with a very narrow purple margin when in enough sun, mostly plain green in shade. Largest variety of Ajuga. (Don't have a good pic of the foliage!)

Ajuga reptans 'Black Scallop', Bugleweed [1] The darkest Ajuga I know of! I'll be potting up a few more of these as they start growing, but I won't have a lot!

Ajuga reptans 'Royalty', Bugleweed [12] - Ruffled bronze/burgundy foliage--"color deepens with more sun.

Ajuga reptans 'Chocolate Chip' [6] - Bronzy-green foliage--color deepens with more sun. Smallest variety of Ajuga.

Alcea rosea, Mixed single hollyhock [6] - Just plain hollyhocks!

Aquilegia chrysantha, Columbine [11] - Fragrant yellow columbine

Chrysanthemum 'Hillside Pink Sheffield' (previously Dentranthema grandiflora) [5] - Blooms late, may need protection from early freezes. Attracts lots of butterflies! Large plant, at least 3' X 3'.

Chrysanthemum maximum 'Becky', Shasta daisy [7] - The best tall shasta daisy, very strong upright stems with large, perfect looking flowers

Coreopsis auriculata'‘Nana', Dwarf Coreopsis [4] - Spring blooming coreopsis, will continue to bloom into mid-summer with regular deadheading

Crocosmia 'Lucifer' [6] - Stunning red-orange flowers create a wonderful focal point. (These have a few of the small "bulbs" in each pot. They haven't even started to come up yet! Will take a couple years to grow up!)

Delphinium somethingum!, larkspur [2] - Not sure if this is one of the short-lived delphinium species or if it's the real annual larkspur, Consolida ajacis! It gets about 12-16" tall, with medium blue/purple flowers and reseeds very easily. I'll be potting up a couple more of these as the seedlings come up! (No pic!)

Myosotis alpestris, Forget-me-not [4] - Reseed prolifically! If you get one small plant at the swap. plant it where you want more, and then let it go to seed, you'll have more next year---and more the next year..........

Thalictrum aquilegiafolium - I don't know how many of these I'll have--the first one (seedlings last year) is just now starting to get a leaf, but I'm pretty sure I'll have at least 3 or 4 of them. This is the one I mistakenly identified as a fern last year until it got big enough to figure out it was really Thalictrum! (2999 people have looked at the first picture!!!)

Veronica liwanensis, Turkish Veronica [5] - Groundcover, xeric, semi-evergreen. (No pic!)

Veronica 'Waterperry', creeping Veronica [13] - Evergreen, small leaves and flowers have scalloped edges, giving the plant a ruffly look.

Viola - Purple, Johnny-jump-up type viola [1] I'll definitely have more of these! - Bloom all summer, reseed all over the place and most of them come true from seed.

Zauschneria - californica or garrettii (not sure which species) [10] - I am coming to the conclusion that this thing is going to be a real thug! Great xeric groundcover if you don't care where it goes! I got this at the spring '08 swap (small plant), and it is now in the process of taking over the world! A lot of the plants I have spread, but are manageable because they spread on or near the surface. This stuff goes DEEP, and develops tough, woody roots. I'm going to let it bloom this year yet, and then I'm gonna dig up a bunch to bring to the Fall Swap if anybody wants it, and then I'm going to ignobly dispose (I hope!) of whatever dares to show its face!

Egyptian Onion - Walking Onion [10] - Funny story! I collected the little bulbils off of the top of mine last fall, intending to pot them up, but never got around to it! Over winter I found them, mostly desiccated, and "placed" them on the ground out by my compost pile. I pushed a few leaves over them, and watered them! They started to grow a few weeks ago, so I picked them all back up today and put them in pots (a bunch in each pot)! These are just small starter plants---from the little bulbils that grow on the top of these things. By next year you'll have a full size plant!

Grape Hyacinth [1] - When I was cleaning up perennials today I noticed some "grass" coming up in one area! Pulled one out, and instead of roots, it had a TINY bulb on the bottom. This is a pot with about a dozen TINY grape hyacinth "seedlings" in it. Will take a couple years to get to blooming size!

*** Sedum & Iceplant & Sempervivum ***

Sedum pachyclados [12] - This one gets "stemmy" looking and needs to be cut all the way down at least once a year to keep it looking nice!

Sedum reflexum 'Blue Spruce' [12] - This one gets floppy looking and also needs to be cut back hard at least once a year!

Sedum spurium 'Tricolor' [10] - The pink isn't visible in this pic, but the foliage is green, white, and PINK! It's mostly pink in winter!

Sedum whatum! [11] - I don't have any idea what species this is! The foliage looks like a groundcover sedum (kind of a very large version of Sedum album foliage!), but the yellow flowers are on vertical stems about 8" tall. (No pic!)

Delosperma basuticum 'White Nugget' Iceplant [8]

Delosperma 'Kelaidis' Mesa Verde Iceplant [11]

Delosperma nubigenum, Yellow Iceplant [11] - This is the "original" yellow iceplant! Spreads to cover a large area very quickly (easy to pull out extra), but tends to have major sections abruptly die off! That's pretty easy to "fix" by plugging little pieces in where it has died! (No pic!)

Hen & Chicks

I don't know the variety names for most of my hen & chicks, so I assign them letters as a way of distinguishing them from each other! I give several different varieties of these away at each swap, and I'd like to keep giving different varieties to people who don't have them yet, so if you already have any of these, please don't ask for the same ones. Since they multiply so easily, it doesn't make sense for me to keep potting them up to give the same ones to the same people. I'll make up some of the sheets where you can keep track of which ones you have for this swap again. Since the swap is here this time, you'll be able to see the different ones for real! They should still have their spring color, and you can make a note if there's any you'd like to get at future swaps!

The ones I'll have for this swap are: (Pictures are of their winter/spring color! A lot of them are mostly green in summer!)

A [5]

B [5]

E [5]

F [2]

G [4]

H [4]

I [2]

H on left, I on right - summer color!

K [2]

Cobweb [3]

Icicle [10]

I'll definitely be adding a few more things to my list as things start coming up! I'll post them as soon as I have some idea what and how many there will be!

If I had my Druthers!

Here are some things I'd be interested in getting if anybody happens to have some!

Hardy ferns - Already have Autumn fern, Japanese Painted fern, and Ostrich fern.

Colorado columbine, Aquilegia caerulea - a plant--I already have seed that I haven't gotten around to starting!

Chocolate flower, Berlandiera lyrata - plant or seeds -- I had some old seed that I winter sowed, and it looks like it may have been TOO old!

Any Colchicum, autumn crocus (not Crocus zonatus - already got that!)

Any blue Corydalis, Corydalis flexuosa (i.e. 'Blue Panda' 'China Blue')

Any color Eremurus, foxtail lily/desert candle - plant or bulb

Any DOUBLE Geraniums

Geranium cinereum 'Ballerina' - pretty little Geranium with dark veined flowers that I love!

Any of the tall Delphiniums - 3-6'

Dark purple DWARF German Iris - or pink

Thalictrum rochebrunianum or Thalictrum delavayi, Meadow Rue (looking for one of those two particular species)

And something I really, really, really hope to get back at one of the swaps! A couple years ago I gave away a whole lot of mums. When I dug them to divide and pot them, I put a couple in bigger pots with the intent to replant them in my garden. I never got it done, and they stayed in the pots over winter! I don't have any idea what happened, but that winter (the only time) I lost EVERYTHING I had in pots! The only one I REALLY cared about was the one pictured below! I gave 11 away, spring of '09, and if anybody still has one of these growing in their garden, can I please have a little piece of it back? It wouldn't even need to be a rooted piece! If I could just get a few (about 3" long) tip cuttings, that would get me started again! I would SO MUCH appreciate it! It looks pink in this pic, but it's really a lavender and white quill. That means that each petal is round like a tiny straw. I was really bummed when I discovered that the couple I kept for myself didn't make it over the winter!

One more request! If anybody has any trays like any of these that they got when they got plants but don't have any use for them---I definitely have a use for them! I use the ones like on the right for my swap plants, and I've already filled up all the ones I have! Need to find something else to use for the next stuff I pot up! Can also use any square black (or white or red...) pots if anybody has any extra!

IF YOU'RE PLANNING TO COME and haven't already done so, please go to the Spring Swap 2011 thread and sign in there! That's where I'm getting the list of names from, and I might miss it if it's posted on this thread.

EVERYBODY:

Come post what you hope to bring!

Come ask for the things you'd like to have!

Is it May yet?

Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring Swap - 2011

Comments (134)

• kvenkat
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Um, looks like we got most of the plants sorted out but, Skybird, do you need any of us to bring other stuff for the Swap?
    Tables? Plates? Napkins? Drinks? Food? ??

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah, Kat (with a K! And a hat???)! I've been planning to start a thread to figure all that out for at least two weeks now! Just too much to do! Spent today clawing thru the clay trying to get enough of my veggie garden ready to at least get the root crops in! Will definitely be starting that thread by Saturday at the latest, so keep an eye out for it! I still need to figure out what tables I have, and how many we'll need for what so I know if I'll need anybody to bring an extra or two. Will update this and the swap thread as soon as I get that one going! It seemed like the swap was SO far away in the beginning, and now I'm running out of time!

I'll be back,
    Skybird

• billie_ladybug
    12 years ago

Don't know the situation up there, but I would suggest people bring their own chairs, if they have them. I also think I might have some supplies I could bring. I'll let you know tomorrow when DH is not home I can use my computer. He sure is going to have a rude awakening when I start teaching on-line classes, huh?

Billie

• catnohat
    12 years ago

Hey everyone,

I'm way out here in Brighton and don't have the greatest options when it comes to greenhouses. Sadly, one of my favorite, family owned places, is not opening this year. I bought a basil plant at a different place that completely died in its pot over 2 days. I replaced it already, but I am in need of a few more herbs and thought I would put a shout out.
    I'm still looking for:
    lemon balm
    catnip
    rosemary
    lavender
    If anyone has and of these herbs to share, my thanx!

Mayberry- My 16 year old son thinks the idea of a Bloody butcher tomato sounds cool. If you have an extra, I would love one.

See you all soon!
    Cat

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi all,

Somewhere up above I mentioned that I had a bunch of seedlings coming up and that I might have something else to add to my list when they got a couple true leaves so I could figure out what they were! I figured it out, and they're annual asters! I never realized those things reseeded that easily! Don't ask for dibs on these things--I have SEVENTEEN of them, so there are way plenty for anybody who wants one/some! And in the extremely unlikely event that somebody wants one and doesn't get it, I'll dig up a few more and stick them in a pot for 'em! These are still really small--just the first set of true leaves, but I put a bunch in each pot, and they should start taking off really well with the warm weather now! So, don't ask for them now, but I just wanted to let everybody know that I'll have them---lots of them!

Billie, I have you down for one of each of the different hen & chicks I have this time for your mother. I'll email you separately about the BS so we can get that straight. Will try to get it done in the next couple days.

ChocolateDog, I have you down for an Anemone and one of the Geraniums. The Geranium is going to be very small, and you'll need to grow it in the pot till it's well rooted out before you put it in the ground. I wasn't sure at first if they were going to make it or not, but I'm pretty sure now that they will.

Cat, I'd like to try a start of each of your hen & chicks. With as many different varieties as there are, it's very unlikely that they'd be the same as any of the ones I already have, so that would add to my "collection!" (Also--basil is VERY easy to start from seed, and it's not at all too late to start some of your own. That way you can check out some of the different types/colors for just the price of the seed.)

LatteFairy, Welcome to RMG! I have you down for an Anemone, a Thalictrum, a Turkish Veronica, a Forget-me-not, and the three hen & chicks. Also a Geranium--and the same thing I told ChocolateDog above about growing it in the pot till it's well rooted.

EVERYBODY, be sure to check out the "Spring Swap - The things we'll need" thread, and let me know if you can help with anything.

Not long now!

Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring Swap 2011 - The things we'll need!

• lattefairy
    12 years ago

Pumpkin -No worries! Thank you!

Barb- Thank you! I'll make sure to have some purple ice plant for you.

Skybird - Thank you so much!

Looking forward to meeting you all! :)

• mayberrygardener
    12 years ago

Okay, I've got a Bloody Butcher (aka Sweeney Todd lol) set aside for CatNoHat, as well as a few other "variety" toms, and a couple also for the friend that may not make it.
    I'll also make the executive decision to NOT plant a serrano so KvenKat can have one.
    I have looked for other reservations on my stuff, but didn't see any others than these, so if I missed yours, please feel free to email me directly (my profile should have it on there).
    Cat, I'll take whatever raspberries you're able to pot up now (I have TERRIBLE luck with those that just get pulled up the day of), and thank you! BTW, I think one is poking up its little head in my front pots--only just started to open up some leaves today, so we'll see if they are what I think they are as the grow--that would be so exciting to know I haven't killed them all! LOL
    Only two weeks now! BTW, I'll be a little late, as we don't get out of church until Noon, but I'll be there!

• polygonum_tinctorium
    12 years ago

Serpent Moon and Chcolate Dog have done most of the requests for our family.

I would like a Stupice tomato plant or seeds, if anyone has anything left.

Some of the things we got from last year's swaps are starting to sprout. Soon I'll have a better idea of what survived and what didn't.

Does anyone want cuttings of Euphorbia trigona or the common coleus? The euphorbia is a houseplant. The coleus is a shade annual outdoors, or a perennial indoors.

We may be doing some ambitious gardening projects later this summer. At the swap, I might be cornering people to ask for cuttings, divisions, starts, seeds, etc., for later in the summer, and also some advice. I can offer some free gardening labor in return, plus I will definitely offer my own extras in future swaps for the plants that succeed.

We are all looking forward to attending! I might bring a gardening friend with us.

• kareng_grow
    12 years ago

Skybird,
    I'm going to have to regret the invitation to the Spring swap...I'm VERY saddened I'm no longer able to attend. I was so looking forward to it.

Karen

• catnohat
    12 years ago

I got out in the garden on Monday and Tuesday and got some things done thankfully, because I'm feeling very behind.

Mayberry- I got two raspberrys dug and potted on Tuesday. So even though they like to wilt and be all dramatic at being transplanted, these did not get the chance. The rain and overcast forced them to smile, and they have looked fabulous in their pots for 2 days now!

I also got some snapdragons and chicks and hens potted up. Just so everyone knows, I have no idea what colors you'll get on the snapdragons. In my yard I have white, 2 reds, about 4 pinks, orange, but probably no yellow. (I'm kinda prejudice against yellow flowers, I think I ripped them all out)

Also, I have 6 pots of yellow yarrow.(again with the yellow. It's got to go!) Each pot has several plants in it. So please, step right up and get your yarrow! Plenty to go around!

See you all soon!
    Cat

• billie_ladybug
    12 years ago

Cat - so much for "I'm kinda prejudice against yellow flowers" since you have all the yellow yarrow. And yes, I will take some of that from you.

Billie

• aloha2009
    12 years ago

I sure can tell I'm a rookie at this. This place has faster trading then the stock market. It's so much fun though, and I can't wait to meet all of you at the swap. There were a few things listed from several of you, that I can't keep track if there is any left.

We moved into a new (for us) house last year. It was everything to be desired, including a wild 8' rose bush in a postage stamp front yard, we had to take out (ouch). It now looks nice (and as you know will get better with plants maturing. Tons more work to do, but I love seeing it transform over time.

Cat, I'd love to get a start of your yarrow.

Pumpkin, whether you have your autumn joy now or in the fall, I could really use a start.

I've got my wish list of perrennials I want to get started this year.

Butterfly weed -- asclepias tuberosa
    Red Valerian -- centranthus ruber
    Coreopsis --threadleaf "moonbeam" or whatever
    Cushion Spurge -- euphorbia epithymoides
    Blanket flower - gaillardia x grandiflora

I'm not picky about the colors for the following
    Daylily
    Iris
    Dead Nettle - lamium maculatum favorite ground cover (I had a bunch at old house)

Sweet Pea perennial - saw this in a book and it looks good on paper, how has it been for your garden?

Catmint - nepeta x faassenii
    Black-eyed Suan - rudbeckia fulgida
    Rock Soapwort - saponaria ocymoides
    Spiderwor - tradescantia
    Verbena

I'm new to sun loving perennials (had a ton of shade plants at old place). I purchased the book "Perennial All-Starts" and it has helped narrow down some things for me.

Being that many of you are from the Denver area, you can clue me in on some additional ones that bloom for a long time, easy to take care of, and don't need the huge rains we had the last two day.

I don't have any plants (unless you want weeds which I have plenty of) to give away this year. I may have some other outdoor material though that I don't need. I'll post them as I figure it out to see if anyone is interested.

• mayberrygardener
    12 years ago

Catnohat, way to tell those raspberries who's boss! I will be sure to save them a spot--I almost bought something to fill their future home, in a moment of weakness!

polygonum_tinctorium, I'm not sure what starts you'll be wanting later--do you have a wishlist? Also, whereabouts do you live? (I know I should know this, but I try to forget those details since I'm not a stalker. These days, I don't have to try very hard...) I'd do some labor-swaps with you, depending on how far to travel... Meanwhile, I would surely take a few coleus clippings! I love to stick those in with my begonias, and it just pains me so to pay for them at the stores when they're just almost a weed!

Aloha2009, I hear ya on not being able to keep track of who has what, and what's whose, and who's on second--I had to get out pen and paper the other day! And don't worry about not having any plants to bring--we'll have PLENTY!

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi all,

Mayberry, get here whenever you get here! I think there will be others that come later too, and that works just fine. There's just a "single wide" walk into my yard anyway, and if people are spread out a little bit more, everybody won't be head butting trying to carry their stuff into the yard!

Karen, I'm sorry you won't be able to make it this time. If anything changes, let me know, and I can send you my address and directions right up until the last minute. Hope to see you again at the Fall Swap.

Aloha, I dug up a small starter plant of Lamium 'Pink Pewter' for you. My plants are small, 8 oz. cup size plants, but it's enough to give you a start! 'Pink Pewter' has soft pink flowers---my favorite one! You might want to think twice about the perennial sweet pea, Lathyrus latifolius. I was gonna grow one up my lattice for privacy and then I found out that they tend to reseed all over the place. If you have lots of room, that works, but if your space is limited, you might not want to do it. And do you know that they don't have that (wonderful) scent, like the annual ones do? Most people assume they have the same scent.

Aloha--and EVERYBODY! There's no way to keep track of what all is available and who's asked for what, so if you see something you'd like to have, post it, and if the person who's bringing it is out of it, they'll say so! For my stuff at least, I have some left of all but a couple things.

EVERYBODY

I've taken a bunch of the names of people that are coming from this thread, and I'm not sure some of you have seen the posting of all the Basic Swap Information at the very beginning of the main swap thread! If you haven't already seen that, you can go there to find out anything and everything you may want to know about the Pot Luck and about How the Swap Works. I'm linking it below to make it easy to check out. I was planning to update that thread tonite too, but I don't think I'm gonna get it done! If you have any questions about the basic swap info, post it over on that thread and I'll answer when I update it---hopefully tomorrow.

Not long now,
    Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring Swap - 2011

• gardenfiend
    12 years ago

Hello, I am a "newbee" to the plant swap & can use all the help I can get! I would love to have any "fragrant" plants & herbs. Especially basil,rosemary, & any of the mints! I love any plant that blooms or smells good & attracts hummingbirds, butterflies, and any of the other "good bugs". I would love to have a piece of concord or red(eating type)grapevine(seedless or not)if anyone has one! Any type of berry plants, fruit trees, or vegies. Would anyone have a cutting of a fig tree/bush? I could use some worms for my compost bin. I have a lot of garden books but not enough bookshelves if anyone has an old one out in the barn or shed or in your spare room you want to get rid of? I don't care what it looks like or the color as long as it's sturdy. I don't have any plants to swap but I'm bringing some garden stuff. I have some boxes(26"L X 6"deep) to share for your plants trip home. I have to do the sq.ft. container gardening because our soil is awful. Just weeds & dirt! I would like to ask for one of everything(especially the fragrant plants & herbs)that will be at the swap but I will be very happy with any plants I get! I hope the fragrant plants & herbs are marked so I will know which ones to go for! I am so excited I can hardly wait for 7 more days to end! See you at the swap! Gardenfiend %):>

• b2alicia
    12 years ago

One of the main things I will be looking for at the Swap is information. :)... about finding good soil for the little raised bed I'm building for my summer squash seeds.

The bed will be 4 ft x 4 ft, and 12 inches tall.

I have a block of peat moss, and I do have a compost tumbler. But I'm sure I missed something, because the stuff in the tumbler looks about the same as it did 2 years ago. ;) And I was planning to mix in some bags of garden soil, including a few bags of that miracle gro organic soil. (not too many because it's sorta pricey)

Then I came across the enclosed link... it's been running for SIX YEARS! So now I'm looking for some other sources for a good soil mix. Preferably something I can bring home in bags, because I won't be able to manage a truck load delivered to my driveway.

So if you have any ideas or recommendations, I will plan to write them all down at the Swap!

Thanks,
    Betty

Here is a link that might be useful: miracle gro organic garden soil

• gardenfiend
    12 years ago

Hi b2alicia, try this: How to create Mel's Mix. At mysquarefootgarden.net. The mix doesn't cost that much & as mel says: "You can't over water". I would like to have a copy of Mel's "All New square foot gardening" book if anyone has one that they want to get rid of?

• b2alicia
    12 years ago

Thank you, garden!

That looks perfect. Looks like I'll need 16 cu. ft. of mix, so about five of each, plus an extra of compost.

I'll go shopping today!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mel's Mix

• b2alicia
    12 years ago

My caladiums are starting to sprout! Here are 2 that are looking good, and I'll pick another by Sunday.
    These are for chcolatedog, kvenkat, and skybird.

And here are the 4 o'clocks for mayberrygardener and pumpkin2010

Looking forward to Sunday!

• billie_ladybug
    12 years ago

Ok, so here is my plan. I am bringing the tables and chairs, 5 25 gallondrums of BS. 40 1-gallon pots, deviled eggs, plates, the camera, sevenish rhubarb (the ish is because I seperated them this past weekend and anybody that does not look happy will stay here), and two friends one of whom I think is bringing some honey locust trees (their seedlings). If I get to it, I will bring some daylilies (they are generic yellow).

Skybird - you asked if I wanted anything else. The only things I night find a home for right now (since my perennial bed needs to be redone again) is, if they are not claimed, johnny jump-ups, the grape hyasinth or a jade. Other than that I think I am okay.

Let me know if I forgot anything on the list so I can grab it.

Billie

• gardenfiend
    12 years ago

OK, I guess I better put in my dibs for the following things from the following swap-ers since its thur. already. 3 more days...3 more days! I'm as excited as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs! I hope I'm not asking for to many plants. If anyone could see my yard they'd know how bad I need plants,herbs,fruit plants, grass etc. Skybird:may I please put dibs on the following? Yellow columbine,sweet william,licorice mint(or any other type of herbs/mints),cobweb hen & chicken,pink daisy,jade plant,johnny jump ups,red zauschneria,& crocosmia lucifer. jclepine:dibs please on some pineapple mint. Treebarb:dibs please on sweet banana peppers,a duet daliah & any type of unusual or heirloom tomatoes-yellow-red-black? gjmancini:lambs ears,& crab apple please. amester:dibs please for catmint,salvia,campanula,cherry bells,red valerian,& yellow columbine. mayberry gardener:You mentioned sun flowers? The bigger...the better! Red fig, amish paste,& any heirloom type tomatoes please. latte fairy:may I have some of your yellow tansey? Do you have any pennyroyal or other herbs? Billie_ladybug: I would take 2-3 stacks(20's)of your gallon pots? I would love to have some of your manure also. I will bring a large bin to put it in. Catnohat: dibs please on your yarrow babies,honeysuckle,raspberries,oregano,hen/chicks,giant snapdragons,& dill. Long story short...I would be happy with any plants & herbs especially if the have a fragrance & any fruit plants or grape vines(concord or red eating type). Thanks all, See you Sun. (3 more days...3 more days!) Gardenfiend %):>

• amester
    12 years ago

Karen, you will be missed - hope everything's ok.

Ok - I am REALLY going to try to make it - here's what I'm bringing - if not, it'll be at the fall swap!

Serpentmoon - callirhoe (plant, not seed - it took off like a demon this year, babies galore!), hyssop
    Treebarb - hyssop
    Redley - hyssop
    Lattefairy - catmint (Walker's Low)
    Aloha2009 - salvia, cherry bells, catmint, valerian, columbine

I'd love to do piles of everything for everyone but I dug up almost 50 plants for a friend last week and moved a couple dozen in my own garden the past couple of days. My chiropractor's gonna kill me if I don't manage it first!
    Again, I'll have everything for fall swap if not.

Skybird, will confirm with you Saturday AM so you know what I'm doing and to find out what last minute things I can bring, food/seating-wise.

Polygonum, Skybird said she gave you my email - ping me, you can come by and dig anything you want anytime, congrats on the new house!

• pumpkin2010
    12 years ago

Aloha - It looks like I was overly optimistic with the sedum. They're still very small, so we'll have to plan on the fall swap for those.

Chocolatedog - I have you down for a Lambs Ears cutting, but I poked around the other day and it hasn't started putting down new roots yet, so I'll give it through the summer before I try to divide. (Its second season, so perhaps too young.) Fall swap?

The goods:
    -8 ribbon grass (one is for Serpent Moon),
    -2 delphinium (both earmarked for Skybird if she wants them both),
    -4 folding chairs,
    -3 cans of frozen beverages,
    - A dessert.
    - And a partridge in a pear tree. Jk :)

• nunchucks
    12 years ago

So I have 2 chocolate oncidiums potted up for Connie and Jennifer ( will have to find a picture to show you) I ran out of new potting mix so if you both happen to be at HD or Lowes or a garden center, pick up a small bag of orchid mix (avoid the ones with a lot or tiny pieces of wood bark but if there is nothing else, you can mix it with broken pieces of clay pots and charcoal) and also a clay 6" orchid pot with the many holes at the bottom. They're not terribly happy in plastic pots. If I get to a store or find them since they're actually hard to come by (both the potting mix and clay pots, I will bring enough for you to repot). Will be bringing 2 quiches hot off the oven as well. I thought I read that there was BS earlier and can I have some please Billie!! I have 4-5GAL buckets that I can fill up with. Any quantity will be greatly appreciated or I'd take any amount of BS there is!

• conace55
    12 years ago

Sugaralice, thank you SO much for the oncidium, but I'm not able to attend the swap this time after all. My daughters were both deep into college finals on the real Mother's Day, so we're celebrating it this weekend. I live in SE Aurora, so if you live anywhere close, I could pick it up (in that case, shoot me an email). Otherwise I'll have to pass on it (sniff, sob, sniff). I'd forgotten all about it... now I'm really bummed that the timing didn't work for me this year.

Hope to see everyone at the Fall Swap.

Connie

• autodidact
    12 years ago

Sorry to report I will not be able to attend this year. Reviewing all your offerings with envy and regret.

• polygonum_tinctorium
    12 years ago

I'd be happy to take the oncidium if you can't get it to Connie and don't already have a waiting list.

Pumpkin: What kind of ribbon grass are you bringing for serpent moon? Is it invasive in Colorado?

Original Author
    12 years ago

EVERYBODY! Billie is bringing the BS/MANURE in bulk, in half-drums! A couple people have already said they're gonna do this, but for anybody else who wants to get some, BRING YOUR OWN CONTAINERS TO TAKE IT HOME IN! Big buckets, big pots, anything that's strong enough to hold it. There should be plenty to go around, but unless you want to take it home in your pockets, you'll need something to put it in!

GARDENFIEND, I've been trying to find time to reply to your email! I have you down for a yellow columbine, jade plant, johnny jump up, Zauschneria, 'Lucifer', and a 'Hillside Pink Sheffield'. The 3 'Cobwebs' I started are promised, but if you want to start them yourself, I can give you some unrooted chicks! I'll be showing you all how to root them during the demo, if you don't already know how. I don't have any Sweet Williams for the swap---I think you might have seen that in the picture of the columbine! I DO have seed for MIXED Sweet Williams if you'd like some of that. I have multiple colors, and they cross pollinate, so there's no way to know what color they're gonna be till they bloom! Post here if you'd like to get some of the seed--they're VERY easy to start from seed and would bloom next summer. And the one and only licorice mint I have is already promised, but I have seed of that too if you'd like some!

ALOHA, as I was typing the above I realized that the tall (or short) Sweet Williams, Dianthus barbatus, would be another good, fragrant plant for the bed you're planning! Want some of the seed? Also, I noticed Pumpkin was planning to have some sedum for you and they're not ready yet, but I'm gonna have way plenty of several different types of sedum again, and don't even bother to request them! There's gonna be LOTS left for the free-for-all, so you can just grab whatever you want then!

PUMPKIN! I'd like to get dibs on that Partridge in a Pear Tree!!!

AMY/AMESTER, if you're able to get yourself here, don't worry about the food! There's going to be plenty! And enough people have signed up to bring chairs and the other stuff we'll need too, so come whenever you're able to get here if you can! I have the five things you requested, and I'll keep them for you unless I hear from you that you can't make it.

CONNIE, have a nice Mother's Day! :-)

AD, sorry you won't be able to make it to this one! Hope to see you at the Fall Swap!

POLYGONUM, assuming it's Phalaris, I think Pumpkin's ribbon grass is most definitely invasive---anywhere!

***** EVERYBODY ***** If you have much stuff to unload when you get here, pull into the drive, or across the drive on the street, and you can unload it and then park out on the street to make room for others to unload. There's plenty of room to park along the street between me and the little park Billie mentioned on one of the threads, but some of you are probably going to be at least a block down! *****

Gotta go---my mantra these days!

Skybird

• lattefairy
    12 years ago

Gardenfiend - I'll try and pot up a tansy and perhaps some mint. They'll probably look a bit droopy but they'll recover. :)

Amester -Thank you for the catmint! :)

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    12 years ago

billie,
    I would love a honeylocust seedling if your friends could spare one for me.
    Now that I know there's a market here for manure I may bring horse manure to future swaps. There's no shortage of it at my place, but most of it's floating right now!

Skybird, don't you worry about the hail or the weather. If the ground's still mushy at your place, we'll stay on the driveway!

Barb

• pumpkin2010
    12 years ago

Polygonum: I have no idea if it's officially invasive or not, but it definitely spreads. I can tell you that I have four separate clumps of it, all going into their third season, and one clump has spread to about 1 ft x 2 ft, and the other three clumps have not spread at all, though I expect them to eventually, and I plan to keep it groomed for where I want it. It does not (that I know of) propagate itself in other areas of the garden.

I got it from my mom's yard, and in her yard it did fill up an entire section of a bed (which she wanted), but after she pulled it all out for something else, I never heard her mention it coming back. We'll both be at the swap, so we can talk more then :)

Original Author
    12 years ago

Barb, if we all (about 40 of us!) stay on the driveway, we'll call it a Group Hug! And I've told Billie she should park in the drive so it'll be easy for people to get the manure they want (there's still plenty of room for others to pull in to unload). Maybe we could have Billie pull into the MIDDLE of the drive, and we could all play Ring Around the BS!

I've already been thinking that if it should decide to rain during the swap and we ALL try to cram up onto my little deck, we just might make it into Ripley's in the "how many people can you cram into a....." category!

And on that note......

***** EVERYBODY ***** It looks like the weather is going to be really nice for Sunday, BUT, on the always-in-Denver CHANCE that we could get a shower, I'd like to encourage everybody to stick a jacket and an umbrella in their car so they have it--just in case! We COULD all get up onto the deck if we need to temporarily, but the swap plants will all be out on the grass, in the rain if it should happen!

For now I'm choosing to believe it's going to be warm and sunny and an absolutely beautiful day!

Skybird

Original Author
    12 years ago

Whoops! That should be the Guiness Book of Records! I always mix up Guiness and Ripley's!

• amester
    12 years ago

Sunday's supposed to be the warmest and driest - cross fingers, everyone!

Marj - I'm late to the party, but if you have an extra pulmonaria I'd be MOST grateful.

I wound up having only one catmint and that's lattefairy's - sorry, aloha2009, but I do have your other four requests potted up! Serpentmoon, I also ran out of hyssop after Treebarb's and Redley's but I dug up 3 callirhoe for you as a sub. :)

Skybird, I'm noticing that you never ask for ANYTHING - what are YOUR wants??

Planning on getting up there by 1 or so...see you all then!

Original Author
    12 years ago

I have dibs on a few things, Amy! And I usually find a few more things at the swap that people haven't posted! With my little yard, I need to be careful about getting more than I have space for. I considered your 'Lipstick' when you posted it, I've always loved the pretty pink flowers, but since it spreads I decided against it---for now at least! Maybe I'll ask for one at a future swap and stick it in a pot......... Actually! Oh, heck! If you want to snip off a couple runners, I'm here to water it now, so I will take a start of that if you want to bring a couple little pieces! I really do like the way it looks when it's blooming, and it'll be pretty draping over a pot!

Besides that, I did post my wish list up at the bottom of my very first post. It's just that people tend to not have the weird things I'm usually looking for! :-)

EVERYBODY --- ONE MORE THING!

May 21, 2011 at 6:00 p.m. MDT!

Apocalypse Now! Judgement Day! The Rapture!

I assume you've all heard the world is ending tomorrow! I hope we'll still get to see all those of you, along with ME, that are LEFT BEHIND!

See you Sunday, EVERYONE!

;-)
    Skybird

• gardenfiend
    12 years ago

"Skybird", Thanks for the e-mail. Yes..Yes..Yes I'd love to have the unrooted chicks, seeds or any other plants you have. Any color will be good! "Lattefairy" Thanks for the tansey & extra mints or herbs you can bring! I just checked the weather channel & Denver is suppose to be 74 & sunny! If anyone has any berry plants or grapevines(eating type-concord/red) may I have a teeny-tiny piece Please? You never know until you ask...does anyone have to many baby bantam chicks(females)they need to "thin out"? I would love to have one or two and would give them a good home! They must be females.The city won't allow roosters. Would anyone like some "Virginia Creeper" vine? It spreads good & is suppose to attract birds. *BY THE WAY YA"LL*...I will be coming from S. COS near platt & academy(80909)if anyone can't make it to the swap & need their plants transported from here let me know. If you don't have enough room I can help. Just go to my page & send me an e-mail with a ph#. I'll call for info. If anyone is between me & the swap(& can't go)I could bring your plants to you from the swap. I'm still hoping someone has a fig bush I can get a small piece of. Not sure what type of food I'm bringing yet but something good for sure! I will bring 2-3 gallons of punch.I am bringing some boxes to share. They're 23"L X 15"W X 6"deep.One more day to go. I can hardly wait! I'm a newbee so what does MDT mean? C-Ya Sun! %): >

• catnohat
    12 years ago

Gardenfiend I have the following things set aside for you:
    yarrow, chicks and hens, snapdragons, and dill. I know there were a couple other things you wanted. I might still be able to get them, but they would be newly pulled. I'll see what I can do this afternoon after work.

I'm bringing a few surprises too! Can't wait!

See you Sunday,
    Cat

• b2alicia
    12 years ago

Just wondering...does anyone have an old strawberry pot they're not using any more? If so, I'd be happy to take off your hands :)

Here is a link that might be useful: strawberry pot

• redley_gardener
    12 years ago

I'm posting here and in the what are you bringing section in hopes that I may be able to ear mark a few last minute items, but if not, I'll see what is left over with the free-for-all

Amester - agastache, red valerian
    Skybird - shadow anemone, sweet woodruff, sweet violet
    mstywoods - hosta, lungwort
    lattefairy - tansy (I can dig a few pips of lilly of the vally that have started to sprout for you)
    catnohat - orange poppies, snap dragons, raspberries, yarrow.

Actually, anyone with raspberry starts, I would love to put my hands on a few.

See you tomorrow!!!!

• lattefairy
    12 years ago

Redley Gardener - Thank you for the lily of the valley pips! I just finished potting up some Tansy for you. It's a good size plant too. (approx 14")

Gardenfiend - Your tansy and mint are ready too!

• jclepine
    12 years ago

I'm just checking in at the last minute...
    I will be able to bring, regardless of our NEVER-ending-winter mountain weather:

(from last year's fall swap that I missed)
    Redley Gardner, Iris, Campanula punctata, Poppy root (after Skybird cuts it for the demonstration)
    GJMancini, Iris, Campanula punctata (I'm no longer sure which Irises are which so it might not be a yellow one)
    Flower Garden, Campanula punctata

For this year:
    Kvenkat, Lavandula angustifolia (seedlings)
    Serpent Moon, Siberian Iris, Poppy root (sorry, the pineapple mint has decided not to grow, maybe for fall?)
    Misty Woods, Iris, Poppy root (after Skybird cuts it for the demonstration)
    Amester, Poppy root
    ProvoGirl, Iris
    Skybird, Delphinium seeds

If I forgot you, please respond so I can dig something up!

I can't get any more poppy root, that stuff is nearly impossible to get to with all the rocks. But, I can still dig up the very forceful (spreads like a beautiful disease!) Campanula punctata "Cherry Bells" and I can probably find more Iris somewhere. But, I'll only check in the morning, just in case, so please write soon if I'm missing anyone.

Bringing utensils, cheese dip and assorted crackers...and an appetite!

Jennifer

• b2alicia
    12 years ago

gardenfiend,

MDT stands for mountain daylight time.

:)
    Betty

• billie_ladybug
    12 years ago

Barb - Sorry to tell you but both friends decided they could not come for mis reasons. I do have seeds for the honey locust and I will bring you some, just remind me.

redley gardner - I did not know you had any lily of the valley. I wanted to get some for my mom, but we really don't have a safe place for it yet. Maybe if you make it to the next swap I could get a start or two for her??

Bringing 1-gal pots (about 100 jumped in the truck), 5 barrels manure, 4 rhubarb, plates, camera, tables and chairs, deviled eggs and DH to fix Skybird's garage door!!

See you tomorrow

Billie

PS I don't put too much stock into their end of world predictions. Remenmber Y2K when all the computer were supposed to crash. What about 12-21-12 if the world ends tomorrow, that won't come true, LOL

• mayberrygardener
    12 years ago

Did someone say Lily of the Valley? If there are enough, and it's not too late, someone please earmark one (or a couple!) for me?
    WOW, I just spent ALL AFTERNOON figuring out which plants I'm keeping, and it seems I have started WAY WAY WAY too many tomato plants, so, pretty much, ya'll aren't gonna need to buy any tomato starts! In fact, compared to what I am keeping, I think I'd better keep myself a little more controlled next year!
    As mentioned, I'll definitely be late--I'm bummed to miss the food and/or the demo, but I'll definitely be in for the swap itself! So, save me some good stuff :)

• gardenfiend
    12 years ago

Hi Ya'll, It's here! The swap is tommorrow! Woopee! I'll bet everyone will have more fun than a centipede at a foot tickling party! LLLOL! jclepine: I had asked for some pineapple mint & a poppy.If you can't get the poppy may I have some cherry bells? If you have enough I'll share some with a friend of mine. I'll be happy with any plants I can get. b2alicia: thanks.The more I keep up with these swaps the better I'll learn the "lingo" LOL. I have a small strawberry pot. It only has 2-3 side holes. I'll bring it with me so U can see it. Would anyone like some of those grayish egg cartons(the 18 count type)that come from walmart? I'll bring some with me.("will trade for fresh eggs"? 3-4 empty for 1 w/eggs?? Yeah right! LOL lattefairy:yeah for the mint & tansey! thanks! billie_ladybug: wow! you must have a big truck to be able to bring all of that stuff. I have my bins loaded for the manure & plenty of room for the pots. If you need help unloading your stuff I'll be glad to help. kvenkat:May I put dibs on a yellow eve primrose,persian spining primrose, morning glory/star yelta,& an apricot daisy? I think I left you off of my wish list. If I asked you this before just disreguard this. catnohat:WOW! I can't wait to see all my plants! Thanks! Well I better stop so I can get up early & head for the swap. I will be bringing: juice,pimento cheese,crackers,a cheese dip,chips & plates. I have several boxes I will bring to share if anyone needs one. Thats it(I think) goodnight all. See you in the AM ! %):>

• billie_ladybug
    12 years ago

gardenfiend - I saw your request for bantams and was going to reply, but forgot, so sorry. Anyway I raise cochin bantams (along w a few dozen other things) so talk to me at the swap and we will see if we can get you a couple later when I can sex them (I hate trying to sex birds and young ones UUGGH!!)

Billie

PS I am leaving the computer now and heading for Denver in about half an hour. See you all there. Race you!!

• mstywoods
    12 years ago

Well, glad to see that we are all still here today and no end of the world happened ;^)!!

jclepine - thank you for the poppy root! I'll be patient for it's use in the demo :) I don't think I'll need the iris, though, as I have plenty - unless it's a color I don't already have, but I think you said it's light purple?

mayberrygardener - so you are bringing tomato starts?! I'd love to have a couple. My seeds I started just aren't very big, and hoped to get them in the ground this week. Not sure how well they will do. What variety are yours? If you don't have time to respond before the swap, or I don't have time to check back, see you there when you get there!!!

Glorious day so far - think I'll go outside and continue enjoying it with my morning cup of coffee, before I get started rounding up my things for the swap.

Marj

• chcolatedog
    12 years ago

Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't posted for a while. I've just been so busy! Thank you so much, skybird, for doing this, and thank you everyone else, too! You guys are awesome!

chcolatedog

• jclepine
    12 years ago

Okie dokie, Gardenfiend, I found some poppy root! And, I dug up a clump of campanula but it is just in a ziplock right now and might need to be kept in the shade until it gets home. Sorry about forgetting your request, the thread gets so long and then I couldn't find my index card with my list.

We are just about on our way out the door. See you all soon...

Jennifer

• ragrif
    12 years ago

I hope everyone had a wonderful time. As a newbie I had really looked forward to this. However, my little Mini Doxie became ill and I couldn't leave her. To the Vet today.
    Hopefully the Fall will work for me.
    Rosie