Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gjcore

Rocky Mountain Seed Company Closing

gjcore
13 years ago

According to the Denver Post the rocky mountain seed company is going out of business asap. Kind of a shame I just started buying some seed from them. Anyways there might be deals to be had in the next week or two.

Nothing on their website about closing down or sales yet.

Comments (11)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

I saw this in the paper. Likely going to head down. If anyone wants anything, reply here and I'll do my best.

Dan

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    13 years ago

Say it ain't so! I just "found" them online last nite when I googled a specific veggie variety! I had NO idea they were now as close to me as they are! Thought they were still downtown somewhere, so never even considered going down there to buy from them! Without really looking last nite I found some things I had decided to go get, but it was late, and I figured I'd resume my search of their site today! And now I find this depressing news! Guess I'll need to schlepp on over there the very beginning of the week to see what I can find!

It's sad that they're going! I still remember the inside of the Olde store downtown--with the wood floors, the big old counter, and looking not all that much different from the pic on the web site! The place seemed almost as if it must have been there BEFORE Denver grew up around it! Now I just re-find them---and they're Going Away for good!

Maybe we'll run into each other over there, Dan! ;-)

Skybird

• milehighgirl
    13 years ago

I too remember their old store. I used to go with my mother when I couldn't even see over the counters. From what the article says, they really are not going out of business, they are just liquidating and will "... make an announcement next week".

"The sale began Thursday and continues from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and every Thursday, Friday and Saturday through the end of March."

I too just re-discovered them!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rocky Mountain Seed Co.

• provogirl
    13 years ago

I went down and was turned away. The excuse they gave me was that the article wasn't supposed to be ran until next week. They had let some shoppers in but were refusing the rest. This was not my first bad experience with RMSC. It is sad to see a local company going out of business that has been a fixture here for so long but bad customer service will eventually put you out of business.

13 years ago

I tried calling a couple times to see if they were open this weekend, and am just getting their "regular" store hours recording. I went thru their site and made a list of some things I'd like to get, and I guess I'll call on Monday to see if they're open then for sure. BUT, we could get a Denver Blizzard on Monday/Tuesday, so I guess I'll need to wait to see which way the low goes! If they have seeds for 25 cents a pack, I'm pretty sure I can find SOMETHING to get, even if it's not on my list! ;-)

Skybird

• milehighgirl
    13 years ago

Provogirl, I certainly hope your handle refers to where you come from and not where you drove from.

I suggest you call them. "The Denver Post will correct all errors occurring in its news columns. If you find a problem with a story - an error of fact or a point requiring clarification - please call the city desk, 303-954-1201."

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    13 years ago

I think it was on Martin Luther King Day last month, I had the day off and went there. They were closed. There wasn't a note on the door explaining why and it was normal business hours. Now it makes sense. I started going there when they were downtown and tracked them down when they moved. It was like a candy store for me. I loved the place! I ended up going to Paulino's and got what I needed.
    It's sad to lose them.
    Barb

13 years ago

Just have a minute!

I heard on the 5 O'Clock news that they WERE open today---for a while! It sounded like so many people showed up that they were overwhelmed and just STOPPED! One pic showed people waiting outside the door! The story said basically the sale was "off" for right now, so don't go without calling or something first! But I called today, when they were apparently there, and nobody answered! I'm not going over there unless I can find out for sure that somebody's there---and they're letting people in! Not worth wasting the gas for something that they may already be out of anyway if things are going that fast!

Sounds like they didn't have a very good plan for this "sale!"

Skybird

• gjcore
    Original Author
    13 years ago

provogirl said "I went down and was turned away. The excuse they gave me was that the article wasn't supposed to be ran until next week. They had let some shoppers in but were refusing the rest. This was not my first bad experience with RMSC. It is sad to see a local company going out of business that has been a fixture here for so long but bad customer service will eventually put you out of business."

Wow, that is rude of them to exclude customers

• gjcore
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I suppose they had all the business they could handle :-( for the liquidation.

• maximavswife
    13 years ago

I have an "in" at RMS and when I spoke to my source this week I was told that they will be gone before the end of March. I was told there wasn't much left except some fixtures. They had some personnel changes a bit ago and over extended credit that never was repaid. Sad to see them go :(

Kath