Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

March is my Cultivation Month

digit
13 years ago

I always say that, anyway. Gotta get the ground turned in March . . .

I don't know if I've managed that 20% of the time!

The ground is partially snow covered, extremely wet and mostly frozen here. It has this remarkable advantage over most soils, however, it can be turned while fairly wet. The percentage of gravel is so high that damaging the tilth isn't likely - of course, it dries out easily, also.

The ground isn't completely frozen. I learned that yesterday when I had to bury one of my backyard hens. Yvonne DeCarlo hasn't been in very good health for about 6 months. She was laying the oddest shaped eggs back then. Yvonne always got the 1st choice of "treats" but maybe that didn't help.

The lawn soil along the sunny, southside of the house was just wet and heavy . . .

I was actually able to get to cultivation during the final days of February one year! It had been one of those open winters with very little snow. I remember that I had to wait until the sun had been shining on the ground for a few hours so that the top inch or so thawed but there was no ice below that, or none that I could see. Not enuf moisture in the ground that year.

Maybe Denver soil looks a little like that in 2011 . . ?

Steve

Comment (1)