Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colokid

Suigested hybrid tomato

colokid
12 years ago

I've narrowed my heirloom tomatoes down to maybe 8 this year. To be broad minded I might try a couple of hybrid ones. Short season and red or pink please. I know about big beef. Have i hear jet star/jet setter and super sonic mentioned? I like the ones that are tough enough to grow under poor conditions.

FWIW: my best heirlooms have been pusta kolox and gyganisque (large but not great large as the name). If you want flavor, Cherokee purple. Brandy wines just don't do good for me.

KennyP

Comments (2)

• elkwc
    12 years ago

Kenny there are many choices. One I suggest that most grow is 4th of July. A smaller fruit but early, produces well every year. Taste is typical of most hybrids. To me Jet Star, Big Beef, super sonic aren't short season. I'm growing Early Doll this year. Have heard good reports about it. A good hybrid in the same time frame as those is Brandy Boy. I like Jetsonic if you can find it. Goliath and Old Fashioned Goliath do well here normally. Beefy Boy was better than any of the favorite Boys and girls last season for me. I grow many op/heirlooms. A few I really like are Cherokee Purple, Dana's Dusky Rose, Juane Flammee', Randy's Brandy(the only Brandywine to ever set and produce heavy for me), Barlow's Jap, Grandma Suzy's, Kellogg's Breakfast, for all around types I like Heinz 1350 & 1439 and Glick's 18 Mennonite. Jay

• digit
    12 years ago

I was hoping that Jay would see a request from a fellow tomato enthusiast. I was going to offer ONE hybrid slicer, only because I like talking about tomatoes, not that I know anything. Jay has given me the chance to bad-mouth one.

Bad-mouthing: I grew Beefy Boy once. Maybe it was a seed-borne disease but whatever the case, it won't be back out there any too soon! Out of 6 plants, 6 were diseased. No other problems with at least a half dozen other varieties and, probably, about 30 plants total, back then. The 6 never produced a single ripe fruit. I didn't pull them but Beefy Boy ended the summer badly stunted, with curled leaves. The 6 weren't even all in the same place! All the other tomatoes around them did fine.

My one to offer is Goliath hybrid - the standard of the Goliath group. Jay inspired me to grow it again after I'd neglected it for about 10 years in favor of Big Beef. Goliath is probably not more than a week earlier than Big Beef. They essentially both have the same season but there's always 1 fruit off each Goliath ahead of the Big Beef. A little larger fruit, a little larger plant, seem more juicy and even a richer flavor, in my garden.

Okay, I can bad-mouth Fantastic, roll my eyes at Early Girl (that I have every year) and . . . that's about it. I haven't grown the others you mentioned, Kenny.

Steve