Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckybottom

luckybottom invites YOU to Spring Swap

luckybottom
11 years ago

Wow, how cool to be back as luckybottom. Somehow i lost that user name years ago and ended up with horse123massage which quit working awhile back. Oh well, at least the internet gods have let me back in.

I have set the second Saturday in May as my Spring Swap.Because i was not able to post to this forum, I have gone ahead and set the date and am offering this as my personal invitation to all that would like to attend.

Pot luck at noon, swap right after on May 11th. Email me if you are planning on attending.

So far I have hoping they can attend::

tree barb, mistywoods, h_giest, gjcore, mary (mloving85)

Comments (37)

• mayberrygardener
    11 years ago

Bonnie, is that you? LOL I just wanted to make sure, because I don't think I remembered your handle from before! (I've slept since then...)

Glad you got it back in, and yes, hubby and I will be attending again this year.

Thanks for hosting, and now I have to get out and figure out what's growing in the garden. Hubby was just out yesterday raking the leaves that we didn't get finished from the fall--those pesky suckers waited forever to fall off, and then we were both too busy/sick/weather was too cold to address them until now! Can't wait to see what's popping up from under their winter blankets, I'll post a list when we get closer. I'm starting some veggie seeds this weekend--any special requests? (besides to have started them 3 weeks ago?)

• lizbest1
    11 years ago

Include me, please! Missed the fall swap, not gonna' miss the spring one!

• Lesuko
    11 years ago

I would like to be included. I posted under another topic but it seems as this is the same one.

I "may" only have vegetable starts to share since I'm just getting my flower garden going. If my starts survive, that is.

• luckybottom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the revised list of those hoping to attend:
    mayberrygardner
    tree barb
    mistywoods
    gjcore
    h_giest
    maryloving
    lizinelizabeth
    lesuko

The baby horse will be a year old and we might have our first one of this year by the swap.

Anyone want horseradish? If so, i have to get it harvested in the next few weeks. The roots will hold for months once out of the ground.

• catnohat
    11 years ago

I plan on coming if I can get the day off work!
    Thanx
    Cat

• WxDano
    11 years ago

I'll be out of town - next year!

• gjmancini
    11 years ago

Hey Bonnie, Count me in for 5 people. I need to send you an email or can you contact gjmancini@msn.com.
    Thanks,
    Gloria Mancini

• gjcore
    11 years ago

It looks like I probably won't be attending because May 11th is the first day of the plant sale that I'm involved with :-(

Possibly I'm not needed there on the 1st day. I will probably get everything setup Friday evening anyway. At best I'm a maybe for the swap right now.

• luckybottom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sure hope you can make it Greg. Can't wait to see how my rosemary i got from you last year wintered! It is still under its blanket of straw,

Got Gloria and Cat added to the email list.

Anyone up for adding seeds to our swap? I have beans, carrots, tomatoes, sweet peppers and cantaloupe all from saved seeds.

Please feel free to invite a neighbor or friend. We have tons of room.

• gjmancini
    11 years ago

Greg, what plant sale are you doing?

• gjcore
    11 years ago

I'll be selling rosemary, thymes, lavenders, chives, tarragon, oregano, mints, gojiberries, winter savory, summer savory, onions, sage, garlic chives, lovage maybe some other herbs I can't think of right now. Then also a small variety of flowers and some peppers, tomatoes and eggplant. The other main person will have lots of tomatoes, peppers, basils and assorted other plants.

If anyone's interested it's in Englewood on May 11th 12th 18th and 19th. You can email from my gardenweb "My Page" for details.

• gjcore
    11 years ago

Bonnie, not sure if mulching is the right thing to have done. As far as I know it's best to not mulch rosemary in the winter. It's not so mulch the temperature that winter kills it but the combination of moisture and cold.

Last year I planted the Arp rosemary in various different places. The areas that it did best were the driest areas where snow tends not to accumulate.

• milehighgirl
    11 years ago

I would like to offer two trees, a Bramley's Seedling apple and a Cresthaven peach. This is part of a "pay it forward" pledge, but I found the shipping on these two trees was over $70.00. I'd rather not wait till the swap because I don't want to have to pot them up. Right now they are boxed and have their roots wrapped in plastic filled with wet wood shavings.

The Cresthaven peach is on seedling rootstock and the Bramley's seedling is on G.11/G.111. The G.11 in an interstem.

If you are in Denver or near Denver and I can meet you somewhere please send me a PM.

• luckybottom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The RSVP list is more than last year and still have several hopefuls. It appears that my email with the forum is still not working, so send me a direct email to cutting at mcclureranch.dot com. Or reply to this thread and i will get you added.

gjcore: Man did i miss it on the rosemary. I will move it and hope for the best.

Milehighgirl: Let me know if you don't get any takers on the trees. I will sure put them somewhere.

This post was edited by luckybottom on Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 10:44

• milehighgirl
    11 years ago

I ended up giving them to my neighbor. They were already dug and bare-root and I didn't think I should wait any longer, especially with how warm it has been.

I may have other trees since I'm adding persimmons and jujubes and need a place to put them. I have a couple of apricots that I will be replacing so I will let you all know when the time is closer.

Windfall, I wish I'd have gotten your email a day earlier. I will post here if there are any more trees.

• Lesuko
    11 years ago

Does anyone have cuban mint? It sounds wonderful but it's not available locally and shipping is almost as much as the plant online.

I would really appreciate it as I'm looking forward to some mojitos this summer :)

I have regular mint, but wouldn't mind trying others too if it's not a hassel.

Thanks!

• luckybottom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lesuko, You are welcome to get some cuttings from my chocolate mint during the swap. It makes the best mint juleps so should work in mojitos.

• lizbest1
    11 years ago

Does anyone have any alpine strawberries to bring to the spring trade? I can't seem to keep them alive from the garden center.....would love to trade for some.

• polygonum_tinctorium
    10 years ago

I am nearly positive I will be attending, with one or two kids in tow.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone!

With all the snow, I haven't done too much seed-starting yet. And my plants outside are still either dormant or tiny. But we'll see what happens by the day of the swap!

• luckybottom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just over two weeks till we get together!

This is the list of yes's and maybe's:
    mayberrygardner
    tree barb
    mistywoods
    gjcore
    h_giest
    maryloving
    lizinelizabeth
    lesuko
    gardenarts
    catnohat
    polygonum_tinctorium
    gimancini

If for any reason you are not listed and want to attend, please add to this thread and I will be sure you get all the details as the big day approaches.

• greenbean08_gw
    10 years ago

I miss the RMG swaps. :-(

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    10 years ago

We miss you too, Bean! Hope you're getting a great new garden going for yourself by now!

Nice to see you still lurk sometimes,
    Skybird

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    10 years ago

Hi all,

I'm looking forward to the swap! I'm having an off year with starts, these crazy weather swings are making it quite challenging.

Here's a tentative list of what I'm bringing:

Dahlias: 2 Thomas Edison (pinkish/purple) and 2 Mom's Special (white/pink). I potted them up a month ago and they are showing no signs of life. I pulled them out of their pots this morning and the tubers are firm with roots growing, just no top growth yet.

1 Larkspur

Lilies - 1 each of Corso (cream/yellow), Cassandra (pale pink), Purple Eye (pink/purple center) and Pearl Jennifer (yellow with purple speckles).

Lily of the Valley. I have a pot of pips I'll be dividing this week, so hopefully will have 2 to bring.

2 Ajuga - Don't know the variety..

Peppers - 1 or 2 each of Anaheim, Big Jim, California Wonder, Canary Bell, Orange Bell and Sweet Banana.

I don't think I'll have any tomatoes to trade this year! I only ended up with 10 good plants. The remainder are tiny and if they don't take off in the next week I won't bring them.

Trees - 1 Apricot and 1 Honeylocust seedling. No leaves yet, but buds are swelling.

My mother is coming along and will bring pansies, petunias and 3 tomato seedlings (seed started), 1 Amish Paste, 1 Bonnie's Best and 1 Delizia.

I'll make a caramel pecan pull apart bread. Don't know what Mom is bringing food-wise yet.

I'm looking forward to seeing you! Bonnie, if you need anything, chairs, paper plates etc., let us know.

Barb

• Lesuko
    10 years ago

Barb,

I would love a lilly of the valley. I was told they don't grow well here and so haven't bought one.

Also, if can I put my name down for a dahlia? I think I got one from you from the fall swap. If I have one to figure out, may as well have 2 :)

• catnohat
    10 years ago

Barb- I would love a mom's special dahlia or the cassandra lily. Either one would be great. I'm really getting into pale pink lately!

Thanks
    ~Cat

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

Hi Barb,

I'd love one of your lilies, either the Purple Eye or Pearl Jennifer.

Looking forward to seeing you guys again at the trade!

Liz

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    10 years ago

You'll get both, Cat, especially since there's no growth on the dahlias yet. I'll feel bad if the dahlias don't grow! I went through the pink phase for years and still love it. I'm choosing yellow and purple plants this year.

I found a bag of bare root balloon flowers in the fridge. I put them there about a month ago since it was too early to plant out and then forgot about them. They're potted now and I'll bring 4 of them.

Mom will be bringing yellow iris in addition to what's posted above.

• helot13
    10 years ago

Perhaps unrelated, but due to a series of moves and bad luck I have lost all of my houseplants. I am looking for some cuttings if this is a possibility.

• gardenarts
    10 years ago

If they start showing signs of life before the swap, I'll be bringing some potted up double sunburst coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata). Other things that have come up that I can bring starts of are speedwell, wooly thyme, east friesland salvia, a pink salvia that I can't recall the name of now, I'll also have some assorted veggie and herb bedding plants that I've started inside, maybe even a few potted annuals.

Helot13, I'll see what I can bring from the few houseplants that I have. Sorry you lost all of yours!

I would love to get a balloon flower bulb Treebarb.

Not sure yet what to bring for food. Looking forward to the swap and visiting with everyone!

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    10 years ago

Liz, I don't know how I missed your post this morning! Yes, a lily is yours.

Helot, I've got a small pathos that needs up-potting and I'll bring it for you.

Gardenarts a balloon flower is yours. I think all this moisture will make dividing easy once it dries up a bit. Whatever you bring will be appreciated.

I better start making a list of the spoken fors! It sounds like we're going to have a good variety of plants. Now if it just doesn't snow!;o)

Barb

• mstywoods
    10 years ago

Doesn't look like I'll be making it this year, but I'll hope to make it to the fall swap :)

Marj

• amester
    10 years ago

Spring is just too crazy around here - I'll have to raincheck but will see you all at the fall swap.

Hope everyone's well, have fun!

Amester

PS - Lesuko, lily of the valley will do fine here. We have a patch right up against the house on the north side (I suspect both conditions are responsible for its success) that have never really been tended or watered and they come back every year. Let me know if you need one in the fall.

• mayberrygardener
    10 years ago

Helot,
    I've got some houseplants I can bring cuttings of. Basic philodendron, heart-leafed phil, some banana tree cuttings (already rooted, too), and maybe some spider plant, if I can find a couple of loose babies.
    FYI, my lilies that I have gotten from the last couple swaps have finally taken hold and are FINALLY starting to divide. I have them on the shady side of a fence, a bit downhill where they don't dry out. Last year I had 3, and I already see 5 little spikes just this morning!

• catnohat
    10 years ago

Barb- gjmancini asked me for a yellow iris. I don't have any, perhaps they were thinking of the ones from your mom. Would you have her mark one for them please!

Thanks,
    Cat

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    10 years ago

Amester and Mstywoods, we'll miss you!

Cat, We will set aside yellow iris for gj. We'll give them to her sisters since they'll be here.

Almost time!

• polygonum_tinctorium
    10 years ago

mayberrygardener, if it's not too late, I'd like a banana tree cutting. Also, when you say basic philodendron, which one are you referring to? If it's not something I already have, I'd love one if you have extras.

Lilies.... If there are extras, I'd like to try again. the one I got two years ago bloomed beautifully the first year, then never came back. I'll try a different spot in hopes of better luck this time. But only if other, non-murderous would-be lily owners get theirs first.

Thanks!

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    10 years ago

Have fun everyone!

:-)
    Skybird