Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when to grow spring wheat

Posted by mcfaroff z5/6 NM (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 23, 10 at 10:14

I am timid about putting the spring wheat out while is still is snowing and the temperatures get to the low 20s. My field is ready I am just not sure it will germinate. Is anyone experienced in growing wheat in zone 5/6 at 7000' elevation?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when to grow spring wheat

Spring wheat will pretty much take care of itself when planted any time. It will actually germinate a little bit at 28 or 30 degrees. Some times it pays to wait until some weed seeds sprout and you kill them, then plant the wheat.
I only grew wheat at 5000 feet and many years ago so my senior memory might be lacking.

o

I grew up on a Northern Plains farm and we grew quite a bit of wheat. We planted it as soon as the fields could be worked so we could take advantage of the moisture and cool temperatures. A little snow after planting will help with moisture. Wheat planted too late will be of lower yield and quality as heat damages it.

Mark

o

Thanks Mark and Colokid for your help. My wheat is in, and its all up to the grain gods now.

o

I am growing some spring wheat this year. Yesterday I noticed that a few of the stalks were dead. I picked one of them and opened the heads, and they were empty (at least, that is how they appeared to me, but I've never grown wheat before).

Last night I went out the garden with a flashlight to pick said dead stalk, and saw that there were grasshoppers all over the place. Nearly 1/3 of the stalks had a grasshopper sitting on it. Could they be killing the wheat? Most of the wheat is doing fine. As I said, there were only a few stalks that were dead.

Additional info: the wheat is growing in a 4x30ish foot plot. The area was turned over, but I did not remove all the grass before planting the wheat. Consequently, there is plenty of grass growing with the wheat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here