Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conace55

Garden Hose Sprayer Nozzle recommendation

conace55
13 years ago

I recall seeing a thread about this subject in the past, but I must not be inserting the correct search words because I can't find it.

I'm weary of the spray nozzle on my hose leaking all over me. I've tried several brands and they all seem to leak after a short time (yes, I do replace worn washers).

Someone had a recomendation of one that they liked a lot. Skybird, I'm guessing that it may have been you.

Anyone with a recommendation for a hose sprayer nozzle that will put the water on the yard/plants rather than on me?

Connie

Comments (7)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You SO would never have found the info you're looking for on this one without knowing the brand name, Connie! It's in a LETTUCE thread! I searched Dramm Wand to find it!

My first post has a link to the basic wand info, and my second post has a link to the "accessory" info, showing the different breakers and cutoffs you can get. I didn't mention it in the old thread, but you can also get very fine nozzles to use with seeds and seedlings (shown in pictures E and F on the accessory page), and I'll try to remember to show what they look like when I do the demo at the swap!

I think I also didn't mention it in the other thread, but they also make an aluminum breaker which works identically to the (blue) plastic one, but it lasts MUCH longer! The "problem" with that one for me is that it's noticeably heavier than the plastic one, and, for me at least, if I'm doing a lot of watering, it gets very heavy on the end of the 30" wand! I know it's just a couple ounces, but it's surprising how much difference it makes! Unless you're using it a lot, tho, you probably wouldn't notice it! The blue breaker comes with the wands! If you don't use it all that much, and if you're careful about "banging" it on hard things, it'll last pretty well!

Also, here's a link to the page with the colored wands that most places seem to carry in stock now. They (all, I think) come with the brass shutoff. I recommended that in the old thread, and I still way, way, way, way, way do! Worth the money even if you find and buy the "silver" wand with the plastic cutoff and have to buy the brass cutoff separately!

If you have any questions, let me know,
    Skybird

P.S. I said this somewhere in the old thread, but even the Dramm wands will start to drip/leak a little bit where they're attached to the hose when they've been used a lot! Just depends on how much you "throw it around!" I'm not very careful with mine! But compared to the BB store wands, where I've had them leak (badly) right from the beginning, and where (several times) I've had the whole wand piece break off at the hose end after a couple months---there's NO comparison! I've bought them in the past because it was "easier" than driving over to Paulino's, and they "look so good" in the store! Never again!!! No matter how cheap!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dramm Watering Wand Info!

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

I've just about to give up on my greenhouse coiled hose / wand spray thing, what with wee '52ers playing with it in water fights and tangling it up, and the leaks where the hose meets the brass fittings that inevitably land on my feet and legs, soaking them. I now using more and more an old spray bottle for the seedling and cutting mist, and watering cans for the rest. The problem is the hose, not the wands - 1/4 inch coiled hoses have so much resistance that it takes forever to get any water out of it, and if you look at it funny, it gets tangled.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    13 years ago

David, the girl I lived with when I was commuting to San Fran had one of "those things," and as far as I'm concerned, it was more of an Exercise Machine than it was a HOSE! It was like playing tug-of-war with a tug toy and a pit bull! I had seen them advertised and kind of thought, maybe a good idea for certain applications---and then I TRIED to use hers! OMG! When I tried to water pots and stuff, it was a constant fight against the tension, and when I wanted to slowly, deeply water the in-ground plants she had, dying in dry soil, under a garage overhang, I couldn't just turn it on a trickle and leave it lay there for a while! I had to stand there, fighting the tide, and HOLD it the whole time! You can't water slowly and deeply hand holding a hose! A couple times I found something heavy enough to kind of hold it in place for the plants closest to the spigot, but even then I had to keep looking to see if it had gone SPRONG! I'm sure glad I learned about them by trying to use hers, tho, because I had half debated with myself if I should try one myself!

BUT, last spring I did finally find a good, non-kinking hose! Every year I've been buying another new hose or two---always looking for one that REALLY wouldn't kink when I was dragging it around! Even bought a real rubber one one time, Craftsman, I think it was, and it wasn't cheap! It was no better than any of the others I had! Last year Target had "kink proof" hoses on sale, and I decided to try again! After five years, SUCCESS! This thing is a Heavy Duty, NeverKink (brand) Series 2000! (I always keep the packaging long enough to find the same thing should I happen to like it!) I'm pretty good about keeping it straight when I'm pulling it around, but every now and then I'll wind up turning in circles when I'm doing something, and it will start to get twisted up if I do that enough, but I don't remember it EVER kinking yet! ALL the hoses say they're kink-proof, but with this one that seems to actually be true! I'm hoping Target, or somebody, has them again this spring so I can get another one for the front yard! The only thing I'm not wild about is that it's red, but if I'm not always trying to get it unkinked, I guess I don't really care what color it is!

So, Connie, I recommend one of those to go with your new Magic Wand!

Oh, and I took a couple minutes to look around the Dramm site before I x'ed out of it, and I discovered that they DO have the colored wands with the cheap plastic cutoffs, so be sure you check which kind of cutoff you're getting if you decide to get one. And I also noticed in the pictures that the "blue breakers" aren't necessarily blue anymore. Looks like the ones that come with the colored wands with the brass cutoff have a black "blue breaker" now, and the ones that come with the colored wands with the plastic cutoffs have a "matching" breaker! Except for the "special" red one with the "soft flow" ( more holes!), the other ones will all be the same as the "blue" ones, regardless of the color! Life was easier before the "improved" things!

Skybird

P.S. again! Since I brought up hoses, here's a Helpful Hint some of you may not have thought of for dealing with hoses! When you're "coiling" it up to put it away after using it, instead of coiling it in a "circle," do it in a figure 8! If you do that way, it'll "pull out straight" when you go to use it the next time! If you do it in a "circle," you wind up with "twists" in it when you pull it back off of "the pile!"

• dsieber
    13 years ago

In over 30 years I have never had a nozzle not keep my forearms nice and wet!!! Don't get me on short or long wands. Why they can not have the Felco of nozzles!!!! Heck I would pay Felco prices if they delivered.

• dsieber
    13 years ago

Skybird is correct on coiling a hose in a figure eight to prevent kinks. Like shoes and tools, you get what you pay for in buying hoses. For over 10 years I have excellent results with heavy duty black rubber, 5 of those years was in 110+f weather in Palmdale, CA. One drawback is they are heavy and your hands get dirty.

• conace55
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for that link, Skybird. I actually did remember it was sort of a hijack to another thread; that still didn't help me to find it. This was exactly the thread I was trying to remember.

I think I'll give the Dramm wand a try!

• gjcore
    13 years ago

As far as hoses go I really like Goodyear hoses which can be found at Home Depot. They are very durable and very few kinks. I'm not sure how some companies get away with putting "kink-free" on their packages because it seems to NEVER be true. If it says kink-free then it means this hose will constantly kink.