Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtny_gw

...in like a lamb out like a lion

mtny
13 years ago

we have had 14 inches this last week with snow on and off forecast all week...I saw my snowdrops briefly yesterday , they are buried under 5 new inches today....Snowpack is looking solid and soil moisture levels are great so when it finally gets here we'll be ready to grow

Comments (15)

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Well, we didn't get 14", but we had around 9" the Thursday before last, and I woke up to snow on the ground the past three mornings. It's been less than an inch each time, and melts by mid-day, but there is plenty of moisture out there right now. Need to plant some peas, but I'm afraid they'll just rot at this point.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    13 years ago

Snowpack? What's that? It sounds familiar! Let me think about it! Hmmm! Snowpack!

Soil Moisture Levels? What's that??? The only soil MOISTURE levels I've had for the last 10 months or so came from the end of a hose! I've been watering the perennials in the backyard quite a bit, but haven't watered any of the lawn since December. Need to do that pretty soon, especially since it's supposed to be back up near 80 by the weekend! My one neighbor's grass (he waters every couple days in summer) looks like part of it might be dead! He hasn't watered at all since last fall. Will be interesting to see if anything comes back up in the next month or so. Mine is greening up pretty well, but not really growing yet. When I water it, I think it's gonna turn into a jungle FAST!

I almost envy you guys out in the hills with SNOW! Wouldn't even have minded shoveling it this year, just to get some moisture!

I got a few sprinkles--or flakes--over night, but just enough to wet the sidewalk and the top of the bark mulch! Definitely not enough to go down into the soil. And now the WIND is coming back up! So much for the few sprinkles---or flakes! They say we COULD get a whole INCH of snow tonite! Yeah, sure! I believe THAT! I'm still trying to tempt the snow/rain/any-precipitation-at-all gods, but I'm rapidly turning into an atheist!

Seeds rotting in the ground is definitely not gonna be a problem down here this year, Bonnie!

Skybird

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

The Dolores River drainage is, I believe, the only one in the state that is below 'normal' snow pack, and its dry weather here - red flag warnings and the standard wind every day.

Hard to believe but they'll turn the irrigation on next week for a 3 day "stock pond run", then on for the season on May 1st.

• gjcore
    13 years ago

I'm looking at the snowfall totals for the Denver area 18" to 36" for the season. We usually have that much by November. It is indeed quite dry even by Front Range standards. I think this little corner of the metro area got closer to about 25-30". I try to make the most use of the snow that falls at least in the front of the house. I'll push snow all around when I shovel to the dry areas. My neighbors also think I'm really nice when I shovel their sidewalk when I'm really "stealing" their snow.

I planted peas again yesterday. The ones I planted end of February are all coming up and the ones in the cold frame are 6"+ tall. With the sandy soil here there's not too much risk of peas rotting. I also don't pre-soak to gain a few days in germination time.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

We are in severe hydrological drought around here. Many watering their yards already, our contractor is watering our greenways as the trees are swelling buds and the soil is dry.

Dan

• provogirl
    13 years ago

We got about an 1 1/2 " of snow last night! It was pretty wet and all of it was melted before the little girl could get suited up to go build a snowman. I have been watering my lawn for the last 2-3 weeks every few days or so. I think parts of it are dead and will have to been reseeded but only time will tell. They say it will be a warm spring and the only good I see in that is no hail.

ProvoGirl

• dsieber
    13 years ago

gjcore said

I'm looking at the snowfall totals for the Denver area 18" to 36" for the season.

And a lot of that was very dry snow! That on top of very little rain since Sept we are in a very bad situation. screwed.

13 years ago

published 3/17/2011 valid Apr-Jun 2011

Not pretty across the planet in grain growing regions, March 2011:

Population in the current view under exceptional drought: 158,787,000

Save your pennies for food!

Dan

• mtny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dan
    china's grain belt was blessed with very!!!! .....very .... such timely precipitation ...perhaps even what would have been famine off staving precip
    its very interesting to observe cereals resiliance .... moisture even past what might seem optimal timing often yields ...I'm looking with interest to seeing how the extra ordinarily varied ecosystems of Queensland respond to the recent inundation ... a nile like rebound with sediment deposition albeit 100 or whatever the occurance is depositional period or nile or louisiana churning of watershed deposits / heavy agricultural / generational inputs etc... very very interesting...love the resources you put into your posts thanks

• laura_42
    13 years ago

Hi all --

Was putting out my first "spring sowing" containers today, and thought I'd check in.

I knew it was dry this year, but wow, this thread confirms it.

13 years ago

So I got home mid-afternoon and the winds here were howling well into the 40 MPHs, I checked MesoWest and have several observations gusting in the 50s. At least the humidities aren't in the single-digits today. Crikey. Seems like May.

Dan

• dsieber
    13 years ago

For the Denverites who thinks we are going to get an April DUMP? I vote no!!! We are doomed to fire up the sprinklers. It is 4am April 1 and it is 55 degrees!!!

• gjcore
    13 years ago

I didn't know we could vote on snow :-) I'm going to vote yes!

At least the mountains have good snowpack and most of the reservoirs are in decent shape.

• digit
    13 years ago

the 4 Seasons of Seattle Weather

âªâº âª

• marktrot1
    13 years ago

In like a lamb, out like a lamb. Ended the month with temps in upper 60s, hit 74 today, which was a record. No wind to speak of, except for some northerly breezes.... Although this weekend is supposed to be typical Flagstaff April: high winds (up to 60mph), a few showers possible, followed by more wind.