Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

What I Like to See from Greenhouse

digit
13 years ago

{{gwi:1192249}}From digitS' Garden

$ Nothing $ rising out of the chimney!

The early morning sunlight is fairly bright and it looks like I can move the babies out at a reasonable time this morning WITHOUT starting that dang furnace!!

The babies had a visit to the greenhouse Wednesday last week . . . mid-day, everything went fine (no squabbles with the flats of onions that have been out there about a month ;o)). Thursday, I wanted to move them out as early as possible but had to wait until 11am (!) for the what little sun we had to warm the building . . .

Friday and Saturday, I fired-up the furnace at 9am so that I could get them out by 9:30. I was pleased that the sun did well at warming things up in there by late morning, however!

Today, it looks like I won't have to start that furnace, YAY! But soon, space indoors just won't allow me to bring flats and flats inside and the furnace will need to run thru the night . . !

Did you see the "Super Moon" last night?!? Very hazy here at moonrise but that just added to the enchantment as it rose behind the neighbor's evergreen!

Steve

please send CO sunshine

Comments (6)

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

From digitS'

(Could have used Dark Side of the Moon but . . . ;o)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    13 years ago

I'll trade you some of our Colorado Sunshine for some of your Idaho Precipitation! ;-)

It was 78 on the "warm" side of my yard yesterday--70 on the "cool" side! (I have one thermometer in the shade on the sun side, and one next to the house on the shade side!) And it only went down to 37 last nite! The problem down here would have been keeping it cool enough rather than keeping it warm enough! I'm still having a problem wrapping my head around this "winter" that will be ending in a few hours!

Isn't a lot of the stuff you start the kind of things that can take pretty cold temps overnite, Digit? Onions certainly can, and don't you usually start snaps and lettuce and stuff like that? If it's hardened off, I wouldn't worry about stuff like that getting down to a little below freezing. That might make enough room in the house for the stuff that really does need the warm! Maybe I just don't remember exactly what ALL you start---since you DO start a LOT!!! I'm always blown away when you start posting about all the stuff you're starting---and how much you have over sumer! I always kinda go: He's not REALLY old! He's just funnin' us!

As soon as you figure out how to ship some of that water down here, I'll pack up and ship some of our sunshine (and DRY heat) up your way!

;-)
    Skybird

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Freeze!?! I don't even like the onions freezing, Skybird!

Remember, I was pulling them off the bench and covering them when it was freezing in there overnight! No, I'm not much worried about them now. It was 35F in there this morning, I never even gave them a 2nd glance.

Most everything is up and growing in their cookie box trays. I will probably begin to transplant tomatoes into cells & flats tomorrow. Then, I'll really need to think about room indoors at night! Also, have to worry about transplant shock and too much sun . . . well, I should be so lucky . . .

After the tomatoes, it'll be the peppers going into flats but I'll probably break down and leave the greenhouse furnace on overnight before then. The 1st of the zinnias are popping up. It would be a good idea to get some more seed in the mix in case I've started those too early . . .

Dang! Today's weather is deteriorating a little! Wind coming up, sun has been gone for the last hour . . . I shouldn't have to turn that furnace on! It was such a promising start!

Dang Pacific Ocean washes in 300 miles during this time of year! I mean, if northern UT and eastern CO catch lots of Pacific storms imagine what it is like for us up here . . . may as well be in cloudy Tacoma during the spring months . . .

S' ;o)

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

What I'd like to see is a greenhouse from my house : )

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wind gusts to 28mph and a high of only 45F:

Inside, the temperature fell to 64F but that was 20F above outside temperatures after about 4 hours of zero sunbreaks.

It's all good. After 8 hours, the babies are all back in the house and spilling over a 3' by 6' table near the south window. They will be whimpering and whining to get out at the 1st sign of the sun tomorrow and will have their way. Especially since, I've got 2 more cookie boxes coming off the fridge to go in that nursery window for tomorrow!

Sometimes, I feel like a preschool teacher with a rope and 15 little, pointy-headed toddlers holding on to it, trailing off down the sidewalk! It's slow but, we're getting there!

digitS'

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

I'm pretty sure I'm turning on the irrigation this week. Too much wind and heat. The landscape contractor for the District is out watering the turf and shrubs.

The spot for onions is ready to go and I'll sow outside maybe today. Need a big dump of snow...any day. Annnnnnny daaaaaaaay...

Dan

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz