Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wintersowing in 8 to 15 inches of snow

Posted by camontour (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 26, 09 at 12:57

Hi!

We are getting 8 - 15 inches of snow in Denver today. Any wintersowed milk jugs that have sprouts, I put in the garage. What about the ones that haven't sprouted?
Sea Oats
Columbine
Delphinium
Foxglove
Hollyhock
Pansies
Poppies

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wintersowing in 8 to 15 inches of snow

• Posted by skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 26, 09 at 15:24

I checked the list you posted over on the WS thread, CT, and the only things I see over there that would need protection are the cosmos, zinnias, and marigolds.

Anything that hasnt come up yet will be fineannuals, veggies, perennials, anything. You dont need to worry about them. And all the things you listed here would be fine even if they had come up already. Theyre all hardy perennials and know how to take care of themselves. Well, if your sea oats are Northern Sea Oats (Chasmanthium latifolium), theyd be fine. There are hardy and tender types of sea oats, so that one depends on which kind you have.

The garage theyre in needs to be COLD! If its heated, move them somewhere else where its cold, or move them back outside and cover them up with an old blanket.

All your stuff will be fine! Everybody worries the first year!

;-)
Skybird

o

Thanks Skybird -- you have been SO helpful. I have been lurking for months and see your name pop up a lot with great support and advise.

My garage is not heated and pretty drafty. I will go check to make sure it is not too warm...

Thanks for patting my hand through my first year. :) It is so exciting to see my milk jug ghetto take off so well!

o

Camontour - Leave those seed buckets outside! The snow won't hurt them; actually acts as insulation. They will sprout when they are good and ready. Other questions? Check w/ the folks on the Winter Sowing forum, they are very friendly and knowledgeable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing

o

• Posted by sister_k Zone 5 Lafayette, CO (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 26, 09 at 16:58

Skybird - What is the reason for it needing to be very cold? Is it so they don't get "shocked" by the sudden warmth inside? Or something else? Just curious, mine went into the garage, which is not heated at all, but is not nearly as cold as outside. Thanks!

o

• Posted by skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 26, 09 at 18:17

The problem isnt the warm when you bring them in, Sis, its the COLD when you take them back out!

If you bring the plants/seedlings inside and they become acclimated to the warm, they lose their ability to handle the cold, and then if you put them back outside they really are likely to freeze. If theyre in a place thats too warm for too long, you need to "harden them off" all over again, before they can be safely left outside again. Even with the warm days weve had lately, its been getting cold enough over nite for them to maintain their ability to handle the cold, but warm days AND nites will really mess with that ability. And, I dont know this for sure, but I suspect the winter sown things that have come up and grown in the cold are even better able to handle the cold than things youve started inside and then hardened off to put outside. I suspect even the annuals would be ok, but Im not positive, and I really, really dont want to mess up somebodys baby plants, but I think leaving them outside with a cover of some sort (blanket or layers of newspaperwhich would obviously blow away today!) would be way plenty to keep them safe. I always have some reseeded annuals coming up in my yard every year, and I give them absolutely no protection whatsoever, and they always do just fineunless I pull them out! ;-) And theyre not even in a little winter sown "tent!" Our warm temps this year have probably tricked a few things, but most things wont germinate and come up until its "their time!" Thats why winter sowing works!

But, in any event, even if youve started something outside, if you bring it in for more than a day or two, be sure you gradually harden it off again before leaving it outside again.

Most plants are very good at taking care of themselves,
Skybird

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here