Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Self-seeders and compost

Posted by jitsmith 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 14:42

Can I top dress with compost around self-sowing annuals as the garden matures and fills in, and still have them return? I was thinking of using a thin layer, maybe an inch deep. Is there a depth that these flowers just will not (normally) tolerate?

Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Self-seeders and compost

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 22:23

An inch might be too much for flower seeds. Most flower seed is very small and probably wouldn't emerge from more than 1/4 inch. If you time it right it should be okay. So put the compost down before the flowers go to seed but after your seedlings have established.

o

• Posted by skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 17:11

I agree with GJ than an inch is probably a little too much, but I think it also depends on what kind of self-seeders you're talking about, and whether or not it's something that drops LOTS of seeds. If it really is something with "enough" seeds, you could possibly spread your compost and then rake it really well, which "should" bring at least some of the seeds close enough to the surface for them to germinate. But the only way to know for sure would be to try it somewhere to see what happens. Otherwise I agree with the suggestion to wait till they're growing this year, after the plants are established but before they start going to seed, and then let this year's seed crop drop on the compost after you put it down. One more possibility, for this summer, not this spring, would be to plan to go around and collect some of the seed from each different type of plant, then you could spread whatever you wanted to next winter/spring, and sprinkle the collected seed around after you're done to assure that you'll have seed close enough to the surface to germinate.

Skybird

o

Thought about raking it in in late Fall, agree it's kinda iffy. I'll probably end up trying a little of that, just to see what happens, and a lot of seed collecting.

Thx all
Bob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here