Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

Online Garden Guides

digit
15 years ago

Perhaps, it would be helpful to share information about online guides. I recently discovered that my simple, well-written veggie guide on Cornell's website was GONE !!

There was no explanation - bink . . . !

The only way I can forgive Cornell is that they have such tremendous Vegetable Growing Guides.

. . . one veggie at a time.

What do you refer to online?

digitS '

The parent Cornell webpage is below and provides links to guidance on lawns, flowers, as well as veggies:

Here is a link that might be useful: home gardening

Comments (17)

• luckybottom
    15 years ago

Hey Steve,
    Neat site.

This one comes in handy, the site search is very useful, if I know the name of the bug or plant of interest.

I also like: http://www.farmersalmanac.com/home_garden/gardening

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: CSU Extension

• digit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bonnie, that encouraged me! But, I gotta say that CSU sometimes confuses me. (I should be able to get away with saying that since I'm not in Colorado.) Growing conditions are similar, except . . . about the most common word used by CSU is "variable." Boy, is Colorado variable! Okay, I get it . . . so it is tuff for them to give advice.

One might wonder why I like NY's Cornell. Hey, I like Indiana's Purdue! Couple of the best, those 2 are!

However, Bonnie's encouragement led me to the Farmer's AlmanacÂs commercial competitor: the Old Farmers Alamanac. Those almanacs are proof positive that competition is a good thing for the consumer.

Then I did a google search using "gardening" and "almanac" for terms. Of course, I came up with Organic Gardening's website. Disappointing that I don't see anything specific to the inter-mountain West when it looks like they cover every other part of the country . . .

However, my attention was captured by About.com. I first started to pay a little attention to About.com when I discovered that my wife's MD was using it to inform and advise his patients!! Shoot, if it's good enuf for that purpose . . . !? It isn't region specific but there is good information here. Yep!

digitS '

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

Digit,
    Check and see if Cornell is working again. I received this in an email today:

Greetings vegetable gardener,

You might have noticed that your Vegetable Varieties for Gardeners website has been out of order for the last few weeks. I am happy to report that http://vegvariety.cce.cornell.edu is running again. All your reviews and registration info should be undamaged but let us know if you find troubles.

• digit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It didn't occur to me the other day that the site may have been down. The message was that the page "could not be found." I deleted it from memory, oops.

I knew about those Veggie Varieties pages but with varieties especially, regional information would be very helpful.

And, that's why we are here, right?! Ask the friendly gardeners on RMG!

S Â

• billie_ladybug
    15 years ago

Steve - I know what you mean about the OG site. I have subscribed to them for, well... since I was 13! Anyway, they don't let me log in as a subscriber, they don't have much for RMG and, lately, they are getting more away from anything I am interested in, Growing Food, Duh. Now they are sending me ads to subscribe, I already do!! Sorry had to vent.

I am checking out your site, hope it is better than what I have found.

Billie

• digit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm going to post Skybird's guide to gardening link - Iowa State University - because she must never have read this thread. I am sooo disappointed but it is a nice, little pdf file guide.

Billy, I think I know what you mean about OG. Honestly, I think the problem has always been the publishers. Robert seemed to live like a hard charging, A-personality and crashes at the age of 60. J.I. brags about being 72, and then dies on stage. And, despite starting as a publisher of a gardening magazine - they moved immediately into one health mag after another and ultimately build an empire around that.

I felt left out and disappointed, even disillusioned - despite my own interest in nutrition. I liked the OG writers but it seemed as tho' the Rodales were always pushing diet rather than gardening and the gardening message just devolved into "chemicals = bad" and "heirlooms = good" and not much more.

Mom always had her nose in Prevention and I can't be critical of health guru Rodale only living to be 72. After all, there's no telling what health problems he overcame thru better nutrition. In fact, I wonder if Dad would have made it all this time if Mom hadn't looked after his diet for 60 odd years.

And, now that I mention it . . . how long I would have lasted.

S Â

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    15 years ago

Uh, IÂve seen it, Digit   but I have 315 links in my gardening favorites! Which couple hundred would you like me to post!!! AndÂa whole lot of them are ones IÂve saved from somebody who posted them hereÂso, likeÂsortaÂit seems like maybe everybody has them already anyway!

How about this one since this seems to be a topic in vogue right now!

Gotta go! Have to freeze some sandwiches for "suitcase food," and iron a uniform blouseÂthen go sit at the airport for 4 hours, and if I donÂt get a tripÂcome back home!

See you tomorrowÂ
    or not,
    Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Guide to the Colorado Growing Season

• digit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah! Like that Denver guide, Skybird!

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

I don't remember how I found this site on companion planting, it may already be linked here somewhere. Sorry if it's a duplicate, but I thought it was a good resource.

I know I found it last week sometime and I wrote down some information, but I realized today I didn't write down enough. I thought I had saved it, but I finally had to do a search using part of the list of plants I wrote down to find it again. I know I saved it this time... :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Companion Planting

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    15 years ago

The Better Half used to answer those inquiries to the Denver site, BTW. I used to get the more amusing ones forwarded to me for a chuckle... ;o)

Dan

• digit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Baquist on the "who's here" thread was asking about "hints and suggestions, especially about conserving space."

Greenbean, companion planting sure fits into that scheme. One way to save space - mix and match.

Here's another guide to "Small Plot and Intensive Gardening" from Purdue University. It is only a 4 page pdf file and I've suggested it here on RMG before.

The information is partly a general purpose guide and includes things like expected yield but its focus is on intensive planting. So, there's information on interplanting and intercropping, for example. (That stuff looks an awful lot like companion planting. ;o)

d'S'

Here is a link that might be useful: Small Plot and Intensive Gardening

• jnfr
    15 years ago

Checking in to say I'm very happy to see skybird recommend my growing guide. I keep a list of gardening links as well. I'm so glad that others have found that page useful.

• digit
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am going to bring up this thread again since we are

A. now in the beginning of our growing seasons,

B. soon to move into May when we will be steadily filling every square foot of our growing space, and

C. because I hadn't read Jnfr's post well enuf to realize that Skybird had posted Jnfr's guide!!

I looked at the guide but probably still thought it was something put together by CSU Extension.

Then on Jnfr's post, I went straight to the "list of gardening links" and decided that, "Wow, this lady keeps extensive lists!" But, the preceding sentence refers to "my" growing guide.

There it is, right there in the Heart of the Rockies, useful information, folks.

S'

Here is a link that might be useful: Guide to the Colorado Growing Season

• eatsivy
    14 years ago

Thanks for this thread and all the great info. I've bookmarked everyone's links. Real handy reference material. Thanks, eatsivy

• dafygardennut
    14 years ago

In case your favorite online resources go *poof* like Steve's - if you use Firefox as your browser, there is an add-on called scrapbook that lets you save entire pages or just specific info from a page to view later, even if the site goes away. I use it all the time on the cooking & harvest forums to save specific recipes and canning instructions. It's a pull-down menu like the bookmarks menu.

Jen

• luckybottom
    14 years ago

Very cool tool Jen!

I am sure everyone knows how to save their favorites in IE, but just in case here are the directions. I did not know to do this till I lost my hard drive and had to go through the trouble of recreating them. The article also says when changing from one version of Internet Explorer to another other you have to use this process: Save IE favorites

It is also a easy way to move favorites from one computer to another.

Bonnie

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

In case your favorite online resources go *poof* like Steve's - if you use Firefox as your browser, there is an add-on called scrapbook that lets you save entire pages or just specific info from a page to view later, even if the site goes away.

I do research, and I use the Zotero add-on for this very purpose.

Dan

Sponsored
The Art of Landscape
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Award Winning Landscape Artist & Designer for Larger DC Metro Area