Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (22)

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

I do Steve, but I'm suffering from pepper madness at the moment, caused by hosting that seed swap. Once that's over with I'll try and post a picture of my little babies : )

Bonnie

• mstywoods
    13 years ago

Ha ha!! So funny and clever of you, digit!

My, you have some beautiful babies there! What are their names? I'm afraid I haven't gotten started with being fruitful and multiplying yet - hope to soon, though ;^D

Marj

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Snapdragons were the first ones up, Marj.

The tomatoes are kind of scraggly but I hope they are a little sturdier now. There isn't much sunshine here.

The ones that were just emerging are peppers. More today!

I've got a shirt pocket full of seed right now! In some odd way, it is kind of empowering to carry seed around . . . A few seeds going into the potting mix every few days now. I will be repeating some varieties so that there will be earlier and later.

Partly, that is in case I've messed up and gotten things started too early on the 1st go-around. There have been 20 days out of the last 21 with below normal temperatures. It is becoming exhausting and discouraging. Expecting warmth a couple of months from now seems like Pie in the Sky.

But, here's hoping . . .

Steve

• kvenkat
    13 years ago

My mizuna, kale, arugula and alyssum are up. But by the time I get the pics off my camera, those sprouts may have a slew of seedling siblings!

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A hazy but mostly sunny day today. The seedlings went off to the greenhouse to visit the onions!

Meanwhile, "Dad" worked at painting the living room. Outdoors, the thermometer nearly made it to 50F degrees so I could open the front door, turn off the heat and get a little ventilation!

Fumes are better now and the babies are inside:
    {{gwi:1192810}}
    Music?Click Pic

S'

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Days of clouds and rain - desperate to get out to the greenhouse and play on a sunny morning!

{{gwi:1192811}}
    ~ Ella!

And, just in time since there are more peppers to move to "the nursery" window here in the house. The kids are off to play as soon as it hits 70F out there!

S'

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Need sun! More sun! . . . and laughter.
    {{gwi:1192812}}From digitS'

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Very nice, Steve! Lots of healthy looking lil' sprouts there.

My brood is rather small, compared to your, and not as far along, but here they are.

Close up of Alma Paprikas

Georgia Flame, Joe E. Parker, and Aji Yellow

All I have inside are peppers, but I do have quite a few wintersown sprouts too. I'll try to get outside and get a few pics of them too. Don't want to make them feel left out : )

Bonnie

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good looking peppers, Bonnie!

Mine are not quite so far along.

Plastic bottles makes a lot of sense to me - good environment for their start in life and the 1st couple of months.

Steve

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Well, the price is right : )

I was already using them for wintersowing, so I just used the same method for my indoor sowing. Plus, they don't require transplanting before being planted out. Well, a lot of mine get transplanted, because I'll sow 2 or 3 seeds per bottle, in case I don't get full germination, but you could do one seed per bottle and save yourself the extra work.

That new grow light sure is speeding up the growth this year. I am loving it! As long as we don't have any house guests between February and May, this set-up will work just fine : )

Bonnie

• gjcore
    13 years ago

Here's a few of my babies. Mostly peppers but there's a handful of other things mixed in. Yet another windy for the babies.

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh Gosh! I wish I could bring some babies out in the sun. It couldn't have been too tuff on things, Gjcore. The eggplants aren't curling up!

There has been some sunshine today but wind gusts above 35mph and air temperature only to 50F!

Last week, we had a 59F day - warmest so far this year! But once again, wind gusts above 35mph! Nope, can't bring the babies out.

I'm just glad that sunshine and warmth is happening for some of us, and the babies.

Steve

• kvenkat
    13 years ago

So far...

{{gwi:367043}}

{{gwi:367045}}

{{gwi:367044}}

{{gwi:367046}}

{{gwi:367047}}

• ocd_gardener
    13 years ago

Here are my baby tomatoes! I started them in the Aerogarden I got for Christmas... so far, so good. I planted Silitz, Stupice, Black Prince, Cherokee Purple, Brandywine and Yellow Pear. They are 6 weeks old and six inches tall. All I have to do now is avoid killing them!

See the pictures at this link: http://www.ocdgardener.com/?p=303

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm not sure what "wild" arugula is but I've certainly grown the Kyona Mizuna. Had a visitor who had spent quite a bit of time in Japan. He said, "You know, that stuff is everywhere in Japanese towns! It is even in cracks in the sidewalks!"

I'm not sure. It was hard to know if he was that knowledgeable and observant. Mizuna is a tender plant. I don't think it would take much traffic as a "sidewalk" plant.

That is quite a website, ocd_gardener! What prompted you to put so much interesting information on the world wide web?

Steve

• kvenkat
    13 years ago

Well, the seed packet called it Wild Arugula.
    I had a choice between that and another cultivar. It is my first attempt at growing it so we will see how it turns out.

• b2alicia
    13 years ago

I just took these pictures yesterday!

{{gwi:1192818}}

These are new buds from the lily bulbs I got at the Philadelphia flower show!

{{gwi:1192820}}

These are skybird's campanula!

{{gwi:1192822}}

My little bleeding heart survived! and even has flower buds!

{{gwi:1192823}}

Skybird's hollyhocks, and new daylilies from the plant swap last fall

{{gwi:1192824}}

more new baby daylilies from the Swap

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"Here we are!

. . . springing forth, freshly anew!"

This really reminds me: I need to get some peony rings before those plants get out of hand! . . . again.

My "babies" are mostly big bruisers these days! Actually, they are seriously stretching for more sunlight. At least, the tomatoes are. I have to start potting-up my 2nd planting to larger/deeper containers immediately. I'm not delighted to do that but they've had no opportunity to get unfiltered light, what little sunlight they get.

I've got basil babies! If it will actually stop raining [1"+] I will go take a picture. It's 2pm and only 39F!

Steve

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Got the peony rings and:

{{gwi:1192825}}a picture of Nufar basil - a Genovese type with important resistance to fusarium wilt.
    Steve

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Very cute basil babies, Steve! I have yet to sow most of my basil. Running a bit behind. Usually grow 4 or 5 different kinds, and the only one I've sown so far is a Dwarf Greek. Everyone really liked the Lemon Basil Jelly I made last year, so I need to be sure to sow extra of that one.

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This was the 1st of the basil planted. There are others that are really tiny.

No lemon basil this year and I'm sorry about that. I really enjoy salmon and lemon basil is just real good to lay across the salmon fillets while they bake.

Bonnie, you may be a bit behind, altho' I don't know about that. However, with your cooking skills - you are way ahead of me.

Steve

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Thanks, Steve! I'm not too late to sow basil, I'm just behind in general. I paid for my community garden plot a couple of weeks ago, and I've yet to get over there to get the ground ready for planting. There are lots of wintersown sprouts ready to go in the ground, but now I'm thankful that I haven't gotten around to them yet, since we have a freeze warning tonight. There are also quite a few annuals that still need to be sown ... maybe tomorrow.

Bonnie